Echo Chamber

It's Nothing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Damn those queers, they don’t add anything to society at all. Now, they even want more rights for themselves? That law they are trying to pass is a disgrace to a Catholic country like ours. It will not provide any benefit to the community. They’re just setting themselves up to become a super special elite class.”

 

There is anger and disgust raging in the heart of a woman who is simply walking on the side of a road. The bigotry she had to eat so early in the morning left a bitter taste in . Her temples are beating, and an ache plagues her head. She scrunches her eyebrows, trying to push the thought of her own father spouting absolute nonsense.

 

First of all, you’d be surprised as to how many queer people are helping in poverty-stricken communities. Second, we don’t want more rights for ourselves. We only want equal rights for all. Third, so what if the country is mostly Catholic? Religion should have nothing to do with passing laws. The country is not running under or for a religion. It is run by the people, including the LGBTQ+. Lastly, we are not an elite class. We are discriminated.

 

Kim Yongsun counters the horrible rants of her father just before she left for work. She says it in her head as if she is face-to-face with her dad. This is how far she could go anyway. It is impossible for her to confront the bigot in her home – at least for now, that is. She hopes to gain the courage to finally face the monster she has to see every time she arrives home. A steel heart must be forged but Yongsun is not yet ready to go into the fire.

 

However, the fire does not care for the worries of those it shall set ablaze. Right now, it burns deep into the heart of Yongsun, spreading everywhere and consuming her. Kim Yongsun felt her chest seem heavy as if a weight is pressing down on it. She stops just a few steps away from the front door of her office building. She closes her eyes, and lifts her head up to face the sky. She inhales the air for a few seconds, letting it fully enter lungs. Then, she exhales through , opening her almond eyes twinkling with what should be fallen tears.

 

She has never been good at dealing with unpleasant situations. If she could run away from them, she would, but she couldn’t. So, Kim Yongsun can only stay and watch them unfold before her. Then, she finds herself some time to fully comprehend what happened. However, her dad seemed to choose the worst time to unload his bull. Yongsun has to quickly go to work after the rant. She does not have any moment to calm her emotions.

 

When Yongsun sits down in her cubicle, her head is still pounding. The feelings inside her are a mess, and there is this need growing inside her to let them out. She wants to tell someone what happened but who? People in the office will talk about how she feels and what her father is like. They might even inquire about her uality due to her position on the equality and anti-discrimination bill.

 

Without any outlet, Yongsun thinks of a crazy idea – to post her thoughts on social media. She thinks it crazy because she feels like thoughts filled with intense emotions should not be posted for the world to see. Besides, her followers would not know what she’s talking about at all. Her account is not a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter