Chapter 12

Just Us in Our Own Time and Space

FLASHBACK: ABOUT TEN ODD YEARS AGO... 

One week later...

12.1: School – Art & Craft Room

Mr Oh shortlisted three of the more promising proposals out of the numerous submissions. To ensure fairness in the selection process, Mr Oh would let the members vote for the best project idea. During the regular Art and Craft Club meeting, the students who did the chosen proposals would present the content and convince the rest to support their idea.

Being one of the finalists, Wendy had a chance to share about her ideas. She was planning to leverage on the upcoming Valentine’s Day as the basis of her campaign. To be in line with this special day, the members would be crafting flower themed couple accessories and put it up for sale in the school. The raw materials were predominantly dried flowers sourced from their very own school garden. In addition to working with the Gardening Club, Wendy planned to link up with the Social Welfare Club so that they could channel their proceeds to charity organisations that the latter was already supporting.

Compared to the other two proposals that recommended tried-and-tested ideas such as painting gallery and pottery exhibition, Wendy’s suggestion to traverse the unchartered territory of accessories crafting was a refreshing novelty. Most of the members were enthralled by the vibrant images of the epoxy resin jewelleries in Wendy’s presentation and expressed interest in learning how to make them. While the originality of the idea was enough to set Wendy’s proposal apart from the rest, the three-way collaboration with the other school clubs elevated Wendy’s proposal to a whole new level. Needless to say, Wendy won the most votes.

“Thank you everyone for your support. I shall do my best to lead this project. First of all, I shall approach Jihyun…”

“No Wendy…” Mr Oh interrupted. “You don’t have to worry about the Gardening Club side. I shall approach Ms Hwang personally. You can liaise with the Social Welfare Club instead.”

“Sure, Mr Oh,” Wendy was wondering if it was her imagination but Mr Oh seemed a little too enthusiastic on the link up with the Gardening Club.

“Before we adjourn the meeting, I have one more thing to announce. I decide to appoint Wendy as the new President of Art and Craft Club, with immediate effect.”

All the members were surprised by the sudden change in leadership. “What about our current president, Hwayoung?”

“Hwayoung excels in drawing and painting. It is no wonder that she proposed the art gallery idea. However, being the president of a club is not just about being a master of the trade. One needs to demonstrate strategic thinking. I had given Hwayoung a chance to propose something, but all she does is to repeat what we did last year. It took Wendy, a newcomer, to give me what I am looking for. Any idea what is that?” Mr Oh looked specifically at Hwa Young for an answer. Hwa Young simply shook her head.

“NEW projects and activities to keep the club interesting!” Mr Oh emphasised on the word “new” to get his main point across. “The fact that I have to be the one to get all of you to propose new idea is a sign of Hwayoung’s lack of initiative. This is the Club President’s job, not mine. I can go on and on but it will only embarrass Hwayoung further. Since the current vice-president has decided to leave the club, she can fill the vacancy.”

“Mr Oh, thank you for thinking well of me. However, I was transferred to this school less than a month ago. Why not I take the vice-president role and assist Hwayoung…”

“My decision is final. If there’s nothing urgent, I shall take my leave.”

“I’m not sure if this is considered urgent, but I have decided to quit the club,” Hwayoung announced bitterly.

“Are you trying to threaten me with your departure?”

“I don’t go this low,” Hwayoung rolled her eyes. “I’m already in my final year. Since my contributions towards this club over the years meant nothing in the end, I see no point in wasting my time further. I might as well focus on preparing for the college entrance exams instead.”

“Suits you,” Mr Oh replied nonchalantly. “Remember to formalise your exit with a letter and do a proper handover to Wendy before you quit.”

12.2: School - Social Welfare Club Room

“Do you still hear strange footsteps and cries in the middle of the night at home?”

“No more. I guess it’s like you say, the spirit of the dead girl has finally moved on.”

“Yes, I’m very sure. I see to it that she crossed over into the light.”

“I can’t believe the day will come when I can finally sleep peacefully every night. If only I wasn’t sceptical about you in the beginning, my family would have solved the problem sooner. I mean, the solution was right in front of me in the same school. Instead, we had to go one big round and seek help from psychics, mediums, shamans, etc, and burnt a fortune in the process.”

“Better late than never. Other than the psychological trauma that you and your family had to go through, nothing tragic happened yet, like someone losing his or her life.”

“You are right that it could have been worse. I am really thankful to you.”

“If you are truly appreciative, you may consider making a token donation to the charity organisations that the school is supporting.”

“I’m more than grateful to do so.”

Wendy was baffled by the conversation she overheard. If it was not stated clearly on the door signage that she was indeed outside the Social Welfare Club room, Wendy would have thought she had visited the Paranormal Club by mistake. Oh wait, did the school even have such a club in the first place? Anyway…

“What’s up? Having some trouble with our friends from the other side?”

“Are you talking to me?”

Since the student from Social Welfare Club was facing away from her, Wendy asked to ascertain that the question was directed at her. Even though the other student who was the victim of a haunted home had left…

“No. I’m talking to the long hair lady in white behind you.”

“What?!” Wendy turned around, and interestingly, finding nothing freaked her out even more.

“Relax there! What I meant is you are stating the obvious.”

“All right, I admit I sounded silly there,” Wendy sighed with embarrassment. “With regards to your original question, I do need help but not of the supernatural kind, if that’s what you mean.”

“I see. Please come in and have a seat first.”

“Thank you. I’m Wendy from the Art and Craft Club. I’d like to discuss about helping to fundraise for the charities that the school is supporting.”

“Great! You met the right person. I’m Sooyoung, the team lead for the fundraising section of the club.”

“Oh really?” Wendy rolled her eyes with suspicion. “You sounded more like the team lead for the paranormal section.”

“Hello? Are you here to discuss your fundraising ideas or to mock me?”

“Ah… my bad for digressing.” After her apologies, Wendy continued to present the proposal.

At the end of the presentation, Sooyoung was impressed by the whole idea. She even expressed interest in some of the epoxy resin jewelleries in Wendy’s powerpoint slides and her mind had compiled a list of friends and relatives to receive them as gifts. Due to the addition of a fundraising aspect to this project, Sooyoung offered to use the club’s connections with vendors that could help to sponsor raw materials like the epoxy resin itself. Despite the hostile introduction from their first encounter with each other, their relationship took a more friendly turn towards the end of their meeting.

“Hey Sooyoung, I am really sorry for making fun of your… erm… service with the supernatural realm,” Wendy expressed her heartfelt apology but it did not take away her curiosity about the issue. “Is providing such service part of the club’s fundraising activities? I mean the school actually allows it?”

“Let’s just say the end justifies the means,” Sooyoung winked. “You are the new transfer student, Wendy Son, right? Then you are probably unaware of my reputation in this school. I’m the 99th generation descendent from a lineage of shamans. Many rich chaebols, including families of the students from this school, approach my parents for help when divine intervention is necessary or simply as an enhancement to their business. Of course, the club still run various conventional types of fundraising events. However, people who have a brush with the supernatural are more willing to donate generously in the name of incurring good karma. Apart from having the chance to practise the family trade, I can also help charity beneficiaries at the same time. Two and maybe more birds killed with one stone, don’t you think?”

“So long as you are doing good things, who am I to judge?” Wendy shrugged coolly.

Back to present...

12.3: School – Garden

“After all these years, the garden is still very well-maintained,” Sooyoung remarked.

“I have never seen the garden from way back then, so I can’t comment. Based on what I can see now, I do agree that this is a beautiful and peaceful place to be at,” Inspector Jang threw in his two cents. “So, you are saying that Jihyun used to be a member of the gardening club? Is she around now?”

“Not at the moment.”

Inspector Jang nodded with disappointment. “Nevertheless, it’s great that you know her personally. We should be able to find her quite easily then?”

“That’s not necessarily the case. The sentiment I am getting now is she is deliberately avoiding me.”

“Was there some bad blood in the past?”

“Not really. We just weren’t close. Besides, aren’t we shamans the natural nemesis of all these ghosts and spirits?”

“Oh yes, I almost forgot the most obvious point. Regardless, I can only rely on you to find them because I can’t see these beings naturally. And if I have unintentionally said and done something to offend the ghosts, I would need you to save me.”

Suddenly, Sooyoung took to her heels, like she was ready to spring into action.

“Where are you going?” Inspector Jang quickly followed.

“I sense something. Let’s be quick before we miss it!”

12.4: School – Old block

Due to the incident at the staff room earlier, which wasted quite a bit of time, Seulgi decided that she would not have time to eat. Since she was not going to the canteen, she could use the linkway found in one of the older buildings of the school that took her straight to her classroom. Left unutilised over the past few years, the stagnant stillness of the surrounding emanated an eerie vibe.

“Kang Seulgi! How dare you loiter around here when you should be in class?!”

“Mr Oh, I know the class is starting in five minutes and I’m on my way…”

Wait a minute! Did I just say…

By the time Seulgi realised how wrong she sounded, her body had turned to face the owner of the unforgettable voice.

Horrified by the sight of the pupiless eyes on his chalk pale face, Seulgi’s heart jolted to an abrupt stop. Thankfully the same fear triggered an adrenalin rush that jumpstarted her legs to action instinctively. Running for her dear life, Seulgi finally found relief when she bumped into another warm body.

“Ouch, I’m sorry!” Seulgi and the latter apologised simultaneously as they pulled themselves from each other.

“Hey Sooyoung wait for me! Oh hi, is that you Seulgi-ssi?” Inspector Jang was running barefooted while holding his shoes with a broken sole.

“Inspector Jang… good to see you,” Seulgi bowed gratefully.

“Forget it, he’s gone as expected.”

“Who’s gone?”

“Mr Oh. I sensed his sudden appearance, so I thought maybe we could catch him. Then your shoes had to spoil of all times. Looks like our meeting with him this time is not meant to be.”

“You guys should be thankful you don’t see him,” Seulgi was still panting to catch her breath. Her response attracted Sooyoung’s attention who, was then studying her face intently. “Is there something on my face?”

“In a way,” Sooyoung gave a cryptic reply. “There’s this dullness on your ashen face that signifies that you are really down on luck.”

“My luck has been down since the day I was borne,” Seulgi sighed.

“What I mean is… never mind,” Sooyoung offered her name card to Seulgi. “Do not hesitate to contact me if you need help.”

Seulgi studied Sooyoung’s contact information carefully. “Thank you for your concern. But I’m a poor student, so I can’t afford services like this.”

Sooyoung’s eyes softened on hearing Seulgi. Taking Seulgi’s hand, she placed a talisman folded into an origami triangle on her palms. “Keep this with you. Although it is for one-time use, it can at least do some damage to a ghost, so you can use it as a form of temporary self-defence.”

“Thank you, Sooyoung-ssi for saving me just now. I better return to my classroom now.”

“Are these ghosts playing a prank on us? They purposely avoid the ones who want to see them, but appear to those who least expect them.”

“I won’t rule out that possibility. When the ghosts cross into the dimension we are living in, we can sense their presence. Under special circumstances, we may be in for a ‘visual’ treat,” Sooyoung made the inverted commas with her fingers. “Then ago, Mr Oh just passed away recently and he might not even be aware of it. New souls do not have steady control over where they are at, so it looks like they are flipping back and forth between the different dimensions.”

“Oh… wow… that sounds like some advance physics,” Inspector Jang scratched his head.

“Haha… don’t worry about the technical because even the ghosts themselves don’t. You will see them when they want to see you. And I hope you don’t piss your pants when that happens.”

“Hey, this isn’t my first encounter with our friends from the other world. Regardless, I am grateful that you are doing this for free.”

“No problem, I’m an alumnus of this school. Besides a little catching up with Jihyun doesn’t hurt.”

You promised me back then that you would not cause any trouble. That’s why I let you remain here instead of getting you to cross over into the light and move on. Although Mr Oh was a creep, I don’t think you would murder him. Even if you did, you better had a good explanation to justify your act.