Chapter 10

Just Us in Our Own Time and Space

10.1: Taeyong’s house

“I want to break my engagement with Jimin,” Taeyong declared with resolution. Finally, he did it, but moments later was nerve-racking as he waited for Lee Sooman’s reaction.

Instead of being angry, Lee Sooman explained calmly, “The Shin family owns multiple businesses. Whenever models are needed for their new product launch, they give the idols of SM Entertainment priority. Do you know why?”

Although Taeyong already knew the answers, Lee Sooman continued, “Jimin was seriously in love with you since childhood. Therefore, the Shin family approached us for an arranged marriage. While I’m aware of how beneficial this alliance would be, I only agreed to it after observing that both of you enjoyed playing with each other as kids. From that point onwards, they consider us their own people. In an ideal world, we would like to think that success is determined by one’s capability. But we are living in the real world. In our kind of trade, you need connections to secure deals.”

“I am willing to cut ties if my decision is going to implicate the Lee family in any way.”

“That won’t help, Sonny,” Lee Sooman broke into laughter.

“Then what should I do? There’s no way I can marry someone I don’t love. When we were kids, I did enjoy playing with her as a friend, at most a little sister, but nothing beyond that.”

Lee Sooman was not sure if what he had in mind would work, but he shared his thoughts anyway. “Due to some poor investment decisions previously, the Shin business had suffered significant losses. Now they have some cash flow problem for the marketing campaign of their new product. If we could help them to tide over this difficult period, it might be easier for us to terminate the arranged marriage in an amicable manner. After all, Mr Shin is a man who strongly believes in gratitude.”

“How can I help?” Taeyong beamed with excitement.

“We shall take on the marketing campaign, at no charges. Since there’s no payment, I cannot afford to use our regular idols. So, would you mind being a model for free?”

“Appa…” Taeyong was touched.

10.2: School – Class 3-1

When Wendy entered class 3-1 for her first art lesson, she could sense the lack of enthusiasm. Apart from Ten and Seulgi, the other students wore a deadpan expression. Based on her experience with the English classes the week before, her form class was capable of being responsive. Staring at the curriculum that read “Drawing Technique - Perspectives”, Wendy decided to deviate slightly from the lesson plan drawn up by the school. Pushing the cardboard 3d shapes aside to make space for her laptop, Wendy decided to do a live demo with the video app and project it on the screen. After distributing a piece of A4 paper to each student, Wendy instructed the students to follow what she did.

1. Start with a squarish diamond.

2. Extend the sides to make it 3D.

3. Fill the bottom half of the background with parallel lines.

      

4. Apply a colour of your choice on the left side

5. Use a lighter shade of your previously chosen colour on the right side.

6. Outline the shape with a thick pen or marker.

      

7. Add a small shadow below.

8. Trim away the upper part.

   

“Now, take a picture of the end product by tilting your camera at an angle against the drawing,” Wendy stopped the demonstration at this point to keep the suspense. She preferred to let the students discover the result by themselves.

“It’s unbelievable how the long ends shrink like magic!” Taeyong was amazed by what he saw.

“Then it turns into a cube floating above the paper!” Ten exclaimed.

(Watch the video here to see what they mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHZFEV9WioU )

Seulgi nodded in agreement with the duo. It was mind-blowing how a meaningless drawing that resembled nothing in particular transformed into something familiar when viewed at an angle. Not a bad way to resume class after a week-long hiatus.

Soon questions started to pour in on how to achieve 3d effects in the drawing. Seeing how she had successfully hyped up the class, Wendy began her lesson proper, “First of all, you need to understand ‘Perspectives’. Artists use perspective to represent three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional surface, such as a piece of paper or canvas. Perspective can create an illusion of space and depth on a flat surface…”

The class ended with the assignment to create the same levitating effect with other shapes. Before leaving the class, Wendy browsed through the submissions to ensure that every student had handed in the work. One of the artworks caught her attention and seemed to remind her of what she had intended to do.

“Seulgi, I need to talk to you. Would you please follow me to the staff room?” Wendy held Seulgi back before she left the class. It was the last lesson of the day.

“Okay. Ms Son.”

On the way to the staff room, Wendy noticed Seulgi’s getting fidgety around her. “Are you all right?”

“I… I’m fine, Ms Son. It’s just…” Seulgi trailed off. “Never mind.”

“Go on and speak your mind,” Wendy tapped her shoulder encouragingly.

“Whenever I am called to the staff room, nothing good comes out of it.”

Wendy chuckled. “While I can’t guarantee that you would like what I am going to tell you, I can promise you it’s not a punishment or anything along that line.”

Upon reaching her desk, Wendy retrieved the coffee-stained drawing done by Seulgi a while back. “To an untrained eye, this is a ruined piece of mess. However, I can tell that underneath the coffee stain buries a masterpiece that is waiting to be uncovered. Are you up to the task?”

“You mean I get to redo this assignment?”

“Yes. Unfortunately, I need to finalise the grade for this assignment soon. Do you think you can reproduce this piece and submit it by tomorrow?”

“Thank you for giving me a chance, Ms Son! I would do whatever it takes.”

10.3: Joohyun’s home

After a nice cooling shower, Seulgi settled down to begin her last homework of the day. She might have sounded confident earlier that afternoon about being able to submit the completed work the next day. In reality, she felt a little out of touch with the subject matter that used to be a piece of cake; a reminder that she had drifted apart from Krystal lately. Fortunately, she did not dispose of the previous painting. That way she could draw references instead of relying on pure memory.

As she was sketching the outline of Krystal, Seulgi recalled how she hardly had a chance to interact with Krystal on her first day back in school since the suspension. Whenever there was a short break in between lessons, Kai would drag her to God knows where only to miraculously return in time before the teacher of the next lesson arrived. During longer recess, the couple disappeared without a trace but managed to show up for the next lesson, though looking somewhat disheveled.

📱 Ten: I bet they are making out somewhere. Did you all see how spent they look?

Ten created a chat group on the fly with this phone that consisted only of Taeyong, Seulgi and himself.

📱 Seul: I can’t speak of Kai, but the Krystal I know is a sensible person. She will not give in to temptation easily.

📱 Ten: Seul, sense and logic mean nothing once passion takes over.

📱 Tae Tae: This may seem shocking to you since you were away from the whole of last week. Their frequent disappearances don’t even surprise anyone anymore.

📱 Seul: …

As a friend, Seulgi was concerned if their relationship had crossed a certain boundary too soon. After all she did not wish to see Krystal engaging in acts that would leave her with regrets later in life. If their display of affection was not overly ual or could result in pregnancy, she could still leave them be.

Seulgi was pleased with how she could contemplate the situation as a friend who was generally supportive of the relationship. This would not be possible if Joohyun did not enter into her life. All the moments she spent with Joohyun helped to distract her from thinking about Krystal and provided the much-needed time to heal from the wounds of unrequited feelings.

Speaking of the devil, Seulgi felt Joohyun’s hands resting on her shoulders from behind.

“Why are you drawing Krystal?” By this time, Seulgi’s painting was almost completed, saved for some minor touch-ups, therefore Joohyun could easily recognise the subject.

“It was for my art homework. We are required to draw a portrait of someone in the class.”

“Why Krystal of all people? I’m sure she’s not the only student in your class.”

“Actually, this was an old assignment. The original artwork was given an ‘F’ grade as it was ruined for some unknown reason. However, the new teacher, Ms Son, decided to give me a second chance to reproduce the artwork.”

“That doesn’t answer my question. You still choose Krystal of all people in your ORIGINAL artwork.”

Joohyun’s current behaviour might be perceived as unreasonable and childish to most people. However, Seulgi secretly enjoyed it. Regardless, she did not dare to provoke Joohyun too much. Leaving the painting of Krystal on one side to dry, Seulgi retrieved her sketchbook to show Joohyun her latest additions.

Drawing 1: From Chapter 6

Location: School, rooftop

Content: Joohyun was Seulgi’s tresses, with a small smile but looking away slightly shyly.

Highlight: The view was captured from where Seulgi was lying on Joohyun’s lap.

Drawing 2: From Chapter 7

Location: Joohyun’s home, living room

Content: Joohyun was about to blow out the candles on the birthday cake with Granny.

Highlight: Seulgi was exploring the lighting effect produced by the shimmering flames on the candles.

Drawing 3: From Chapter 9

Location: Joohyun’s home, utility room (also Joohyun’s bedroom)

Content: Joohyun was patiently aligning the flowers around the hollow ring with a tweezer according to the rainbow spectrum.

Hightlight: Seulgi deliberately gave a paler tone to the rest of the elements so as to bring out the vibrant colours of the flowers.

Mesmerised by the paintings featuring herself, Joohyun stopped pushing Seulgi for an explanation of her choice of subject matter in her art assignment.

“Is this new?” Joohyun realised that the sketchbook was not the usual one.

“Yeah. I figure out that you don’t like to share the same space as Krystal, so…”

“Yah… Quit making me sound like a jealous lover…” underneath Joohyun’s mock anger hid a bashful smile.

“Hmm… so Unnie doesn’t mind me including Krystal in my portfolio once in a while?” Seulgi was testing the water again.

Joohyun shot a death glare at Seulgi.

“Relax… I’m just messing with you. I promise this is the last time I draw Krystal. Not counting the school assignments, Unnie will always be the protagonist of my works.”

“What are you implying with that promise?”

“Why are you triggered whenever there’s a trace of Krystal in what I’m doing?”

When the feelings were mutually resonating at the same frequency, no cue was needed for them to respond to the other simultaneously.

“Sarangae  💛💜.”

Like they had been waiting for this moment all their lives, the girls threw themselves into each other. While they were at it, they knocked over the sketchbook which conveniently opened to the page of the latest entry.

“What great timing, isn’t it?” Seulgi commented, staring at the drawing of Joohyun crafting the flower bangle.

“Yes, that reminds me. Let’s go and check if the resin has hardened,” Joohyun linked arms with Seulgi and led her back to their utility room.

With a gentle upward push to the bottom of the mould, the resin bangle popped out nicely. Seulgi and Joohyun helped each other to put on the bangle.

“Wow, they looked so beautiful together!” Seulgi held Joohyun’s hand with the fingers intertwining so that both bangles could be seen beside each other, “Just like our love.”

“We would always be together like this, right?” Joohyun asked shyly, “You will never leave my side, right?”

Seulgi thought the question was strange at first, but she quickly recalled that Joohyun did not have any other friends in school. Pulling Joohyun into a tight embrace in the hope to dispel her insecurities, Seulgi whispered into her ears, “Yes I’m stuck on you. By your side. Always.”

10.4: Home-based temple

“Ah Choo!” Inspector Jang sneezed as the strong smell of incense attacked his nostril.

“You should have worn this before you come,” the lady passed him a face mask.

“Than… Ah Choo…,” after wearing the mask properly, Inspector Jang continued, “I don’t want to be rude in a sacred place like this.”

“As if sneezing non-stop is polite. Anyway, what brings you here?”

“What else? I encountered this strange case…”

“I’m curious,” the lady interrupted. “What do you get out of this? My intervention cannot be used as evidence to prove anything in criminal cases.”

“I know such cases will remain archived in the unsolved files, but at least I can give them some closure at the personal level.”

“Oh… I’m so touched by your dedication to your job.”

“Then do I get a discount this time, Park Sooyoung?”