and the saved data

E-12-01 housemates

It was no surprise to the rest of the tenants in unit E-12-01, that the only Japanese girl in the house is hella into games. Like one of Yena’s racist joke during one of their dinner, “Pffff! I believe every Japanese plays video game, I mean even a 90 years old grandma can’t keep her hand off it.” which in the end earns her a smack in the head by Chaeyeon and another on her hand by Yuri simultaneously. 

 

“Did I said something wrong?”, Yena whined while rubbing on her sore hands. The vocalists did a pretty good job in giving the insensitive girl a lesson.

 

Meanwhile, the cherry blossom girl said nothing and shows no response, she picked up the dirty dishes on the table then proceeded toward the sink. By the table, someone couldn’t keep her eyes off the retreating latter. Lingering stares all over the back of the Japanese girl washing dishes, Chaeyeon was basically gawking at the girl in shorts. Surely, that didn’t go unnoticed by another person at the table.

 

“Psst!”, a voice behind Chaeyeon called her.

 

Feeling annoyed by the source of the voice, she turned back to that person unwillingly. Yena was shooting glares at her, pointing two fingers on her eyes then towards the womaniser in front of her. As insensitive of a person as she is, she is actually a protective housemate and friend at some point especially from the philanderer in front of her.

 

“Don’t even think about it.”, she whispered while trying her best to look as threatening as she could but ended up looking like a angry Donald Duck. 

 

Beside Yena, her almost lookalike roommate dropped her phone to join the conversation. She was quick to pick up the signal on where the conversation is going.

 

Quickly Yuri adds on, “Yeah, she deserves better than you.” and her roommate did a ‘I told you so’ nod to back her up.

 

The womaniser in the room couldn’t believe that they would catch on this so quickly, deep inside she’s freaking out. On the outside, Chaeyeon tried her very best to mask herself. She basically scoffed like the medium room duo were telling her a ridiculous joke. More than anyone else, she do know very well that her roommate deserves better which is why she stopped flirting with her on the third day they met. But that’s another story for another day.

 

In between the staring contest the trio were having, a plate filled with sliced apple were placed in front of them broke the contest. Sakura nonchalantly take a slice of apple and pops it in . The three girl went silent the moment she took her seat beside Chaeyeon. With full, she could sense that they were talking about something before she came, seemingly something about her. 

 

“What did you guys talked about?”, the older decided to break the awkward silence, she squinted her eyes in suspicion.

 

The clueless girl switched her sight between the three girl, hoping to get an answer. Her glance lingering longer on the girl beside her who looks like a kid that just did something wrong. 

 

“We were talking about that new game on PS5.”, Yena stood up to kill the dreadful silence. 

 

“Yeah, that game. The graphic is just so awesome, too bad they don’t have it in my switch.”, the vocalist goes on to continue lying.

 

In between they were shooting the dancer a cold hard glare, signalling her to go along or she’s screwed. After receiving the signal, she gave an enthusiastic nods like she understood every single word they just uttered. 

 

“You were discussing about game with Jjaeyeon who knows nothing about it?”, the Japanese finds the whole situation fishy.

 

Almost melted by hearing the way her gorgeous roommate calls her name, she quickly came out with an answer, “But I’m interested in games lately, especially after seeing you play.”

 

“Why didn’t you said so, you could just play it on my console.”, Sakura nonchalantly suggested.

 

“Now that’s so biased, you’re willing to let her play your PS5 but not me, Saku chan?”, Yena complained.

 

Sakura rolled her eyes, “What did I told about you calling me Saku chan?”

 

“Never do that again.”, the dejected duck girl answered with her hand thrown up in defeat.

 

“Exactly and fine, I’m going to be fair here. Everyone could play my PS5 as long as no one breaks it.”, in the end the owner gave in. 

 

The medium room girl cheered like two kids getting new toys while Chaeyeon fake smile like she was as excited as them.

 

-

 

The next morning, Chaeyeon was woken up by the lack of human warmth beside her. She rubbed her eyes drowsily with a yawn, suddenly she heard noises coming from the living. Being curious as her always does, she walked out the room to find out. Turned out it was just an overly excited Yena turning on the tv and the game console. The latter turned around to notice her presence.

 

“Good morning!”, it was the loudest greeting Chaeyeon ever received in the morning.

 

She was relieved for a second that her ears didn’t go deaf. Also, having Yena in the morning without coffee first is not her desired way to start a day.

 

“You’re up early.”, the girl proceeded to the kitchen as she speaks.

 

Yena plopped herself on the comfy grey sofa, getting ready to play one of her most awaited video game. 

 

“My classes are cancelled today so I’m just gonna drown myself in this.”, she replied nonchalantly.

 

Chaeyeon hummed sarcastically, she move on to making coffee for the three of them. At the same time, Yuri walked out from her room, all dressed properly and ready for her class. She went toward the kitchen counter, eyes fixated on the coffee the older girl’s making. Since the coffee wasn’t ready and she had some time to spare, the girl took a seat by the stool then turned around to find her roommate indulging herself in Sakura’s PS5. 

 

“Well, isn’t she just lucky.”, the jealous girl comments while resting her chin in her hand.

 

Chaeyeon placed a cup of coffee for the girl and scoffed.

 

“Lucky? She’s just miserable.”, she leaned on the opposite of Yuri on the counter with another coffee on her hand.

 

While the two girls by the kitchen counter were having their coffee in peace, a sudden scream in terror interrupted their moment. Yena’s face was all white as she stare at the mistake she’s done. It’s like she just saw a dead body or something but it’s actually worse than that.

 

“There’s no need to make a big fuss over a video game dude.”, Chaeyeon complained as she almost spill her drink.

 

The miserable girl slowly turned to them, eyes almost covered with tears. That was when they realised something really bad happened.

 

“Guys...I-I ed up.”, the poor girl confessed.

 

-

 

It was an awfully tiring day for Sakura. She had to attend two classes and a meeting right after it with her cousin to discuss on her upcoming freelance project. The girl just wanted some peace with the comfy sofa in the living room. Well, she did get her peace but the weird part was she got more than it, someone was acting like a loyal servant to her. Serving her a glass of cold hand pressed juice, offering her a massage for her shoulder and even ordered her favourite Yukhoe for her. It was really strange for Yena to be all good to her. Mostly she behaved like this when only she has something to ask from her.

 

“Just out with it already, what do you want this time?”, the Japanese girl asked while she was receiving massage by the latter.

 

The girl freeze halfway on the massage she’s giving. It was then she knew there is no way out of this so she decided to come clean with the older girl.

 

“Promise me you wont skin me alive for this, unnie?”, the younger girl got down on both her knee, begging for mercy.

 

The first thing that came into Sakura’s mind was her beloved PS5 that she brought with her hard earned money.

 

“You broke my game console?!”, she shouted.

 

The loud noise caught Yuri’s attention who was in the middle of doing her facial to quickly burst out from her room. She saw poor Yena covering herself to avoid getting hit and the older girl standing in front of her with the latter’s nostrils flaring in anger. At the same time, the front door opened revealing Chaeyeon with her new conquest giggling about something. She immediately noticed the weird commotion happening in front of her and Yuri by her room door signalling her not to bring anyone in. 

 

“Oops! I just remembered I had to do my homework today so see you tomorrow, bye.”, the philanderer shoved her conquest as fast as she could out the door then shut it behind her.

 

Back to the two person in the middle of the living room, Yena was hanging her head low explaining the whole thing to the owner.

 

“No, I didn’t break your console but...I...”, she trailed off, creating unnecessary suspense for the owner.

 

“You did what?”, Sakura speaks in a more calming tone.

 

The two outsiders continue to watch as the poor girl confessed her mistake.

 

“I accidentally overwrite your saved game for Spider Man.”, Yena uttered quickly and softly at the same time.

 

Yuri gasped dramatically like she just knew about it to increase the tension. While the victim of the situation just stood firmly on her spot, speechless with agape. The filmmaker student shuts her eyes tightly, expecting contact to one of her body part but there was none. The cherry blossom girl just stormed back to her bedroom and shut the door loudly, making the trio jumped a little.  

 

For a moment there, Chaeyeon caught a glimpse at the tears hanging on Sakura’s doe eyes when she walked in the room. She figured maybe her roommate really loved the game and actually invest her time in it despite her hectic schedule. Just then an idea pops up in her brain.

 

-

 

Crying herself to sleep was the worst especially after a tiring day. The next day, Sakura woke up laying alone on their king sized bed with puffy eyes and stuffy nose. It felt strange not having her roommate beside her since it was Saturday and she remembered the latter doesn’t have classes today. She sat up on her bed, trying to figure out where the girl might be. However, her question was answered when she heard a familiar yelp coming from the living room. 

 

Sakura got out from her bed, head toward the living room to find out what’s going on. Turned out, her dedicated roommate was playing Spider Man the whole night to get back to the level where Sakura’s saved data was. Little did she know, the older girl actually finished the whole game on the saved data but her dedication did bring a smile to the older girl’s face. A sneeze from Sakura caught Chaeyeon’s attention to turned around to the girl. The younger girl quickly took the blanket beside her then covered her roommate with it. Meanwhile, her character in the game was getting killed but she couldn’t care less.

 

“Thanks.”, Sakura rubbed her stuffy nose.

 

“No problem.”, the latter smiled. “Also, the Yukhoe Yena brought was still in the fridge, do you want it?”

 

Her roommate pulled the blanket closer to her body and nodded in reply.

 

“I will be right back with it, milady.”, Chaeyeon did a silly bow as she speak.

 

A light giggle escaped her roommate lips, the latter lightly hit her shoulder. At the end of the day, Chaeyeon never fails to make the Japanese girl smile. Sometimes Sakura’s just glad that she met someone like her, it was comforting to know that someone always have your back no matter what. 

 

...

 

thank you for reading, i hope you enjoyed!