Surprise!

Surprise!

There’s never a dull moment when having dinner together with the people you love (or trying not to kill). They’re all crowded in the little rectangular table located in the shared space of the living room and the kitchen. They argued, laughed, and talked about their day, sometimes they piled in front of the TV to eat.

Onew is an amazing cook and he did his best to make sure everyone gets what they wanted. Jonghyun is on a protein concentrated diet, Key is trying out the new diet fad he found on the internet, Minho would eat anything put in front of him, and Taemin hates vegetables (unfortunately for Taemin everyone at the table will make sure he eats them).

Key is slouching in his chair as he hungrily stares at the perfectly cooked beef tripe his diet doesn’t allow him to consume. Sitting at the head of the table Onew takes pity on Key, subtly adds a gyeran mari on top of his bowl of rice. Across from them, Minho and Jonghyun idly chatted about the new popular game that has been trending on SNS.

And Taemin is sitting between the wall and Key, trapped until he eats all his vegetables. Through dinner he’s been quiet, awkwardly shifting pieces of rice with his chopsticks. Gathering his courage, he sat up a little straighter. “I got a tattoo,” he declared quietly, avoiding eye contact with everyone at the table.

Complete silence as everyone stops what they are doing to stare at him.

“You got what?” Jonghyun’s jaw drops.

“I got a tat-”

“Don’t repeat it!” Onew interrupts, his hand rubbing his temple.

“You did not,” Key slams his hand down on the table and narrows his eyes at Taemin. “Where?”

In hindsight Taemin should have known better to spill such news when he’s next to Key because now he’s trapped between an unstoppable force and an immoveable object. Turning red, Taemin gets up and turns around, lifting the side of his shirt for everyone to see. The bandage wrap covers a huge portion of Taemin’s right torso.

Minho tilts his head. “Did you get hurt or something?”

Taemin shakes his head. “I just got it today,” he explains, “The wrap is used to prevent infection and preserve the tattoo.”

Jonghyun reaches out, his fingers ghosts the wrap covered skin almost reverently. “It’s just so big. Most people would start on a little one before getting something huge.”

Key is the opposite. He had a pinched look before giving a slap at the sensitive skin, causing Taemin to yelp. “What were you thinking?! You know this is permanent!”

“I know,” Taemin pouts, putting his shirt down. “I didn’t do it on a whim, and I had thought long and hard to decide. It means a lot to me and that’s why I got it.”

Key and Onew exchanged glances, then turned to Jonghyun who just shrugs. Onew sighs. “Well as long as you know it’s not an easy decision you make. Just don’t get anymore, understand?”

“Your parents are gonna be so pissed, you know?” Key muttered, his head in his hands. “Dying your hair in unnatural colors and wearing skinny jeans with holes is bad enough. What’s next? Doing drugs?! Joining a gang?!”

Taemin sticks his tongue out at Key as a response, prompting his hyung to feint jab at his direction.

“What did you even get?” Minho asks. “You tattoo my name on there?” Wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Taemin snorts at the suggestion. “It’s a surprise,” he smirks, sitting back down in his chair. “You’ll have to wait. I need to keep the wrap on to make sure it won’t get infected.”

“Then what’s the point of showing us in the first place?”

“I was just excited ok?”

They gradually settled back into their regular dinner time atmosphere. Key’s still giving Taemin’s tattoo side a criticizing look. Jonghyun and Minho are whispering to each other on their side of the table, occasionally eyeing Taemin. They’re probably trying to figure out what the tattoo looks like. Onew looks like he’s the only one actually eating his dinner, finishing his bowl of rice to get a second helping. Finally things had return to a semblance of normalcy.

That is, until Taemin clears his throat causing four pair of eyes to jerk in his direction.

“I – uh… got a piercing too,” he confesses.

Key drops his chopsticks with a loud clang. “You what?! Where?!”

Taemin meets Key’s eyes, a smirk graces his lips. “You’ll find out.”

Minho chokes on his food, spitting rice all over the table. “Lee Taemin, you did not just get your pierced!”

Taemin’s jaw drops, lost for words, Key is slowly turning red with rage, Jonghyun bursts into laughter before choking on his own food, and Onew had turned pale with horror.

“They do that?!” Onew whispers, eyes widen staring at the direction of Taemin’s… pants.

Key snaps out of his stupor as he turns to Taemin to grab the waist of the boy’s pants. “Why would you get that pierced?!”

Taemin yelps at the violation, whacking Key’s hands away, his face turns bright red from embarrassment. He tucks his hair and points at his ear. A small silver stud shines on his earlobe. “I got my ear pierced! Ear! Why would I get that pierced?!” He shoots a particular glare at Minho for such an absurd idea.

Minho shrugs, picking up a gyeran mari. “I don’t know?” he answers with his mouth full. “You were being seductive or whatever.”

Key moan, clutching the back of his neck. “Please if you love me don’t give me anymore surprises. I don’t think my weak heart can take it.”

Onew sighs and looks up at the ceiling. Can’t they have just one peaceful dinner together?

“I like it.” Jonghyun looks thoughtful, carefully looking at Taemin’s ear. “I know a shop that does custom piercings – hey Taemin, did you get more than one?”

Dead silence as Key turns to Taemin with something akin to horror. “There’s more than one?!” so close to shrieking.

“Yeah I got more than one,” Taemin shrugs like it’s not a big deal. “I took off the rest because you guys would notice it.”

Key slumps back on his chair in disbelief while Minho looks curious. “Do you have a picture?”

Taemin gets his phone out of his pocket. As he swipes for the picture he glances at his hyungs who are all leaning on the edge of their seats waiting. Being a mischievous brat, he shows the photo first to Key.

Who lets out a feminine shriek and passed out right in his chair.

For an uncomfortable second nobody moved before Onew goes over to make sure Key is alright. It took another second before Minho swore and ended in gut wrenching laughter.

“I called it!” Minho said in between laughter. “Taemin I can’t believe you… he…” He threw his head back and laugh even more, clutching his stomach.

“It’s not a laughing matter,” Onew scolds, getting back to his seat after making sure Key is fine. “You know Key doesn’t take well to surprise.”

This only makes Minho laugh even harder, pounding his fist on the table. Jonghyun looks intrigue, taking Taemin’s forgotten phone. His eyes widened when he sees the photo. “Oh… so that’s why…”

Curious, Minho and Onew crowd around Jonghyun to see the photo. Clear as day the photo shows Taemin is sporting an intimidating nose piercing with a long chain connected to his ear.

All three of them stare in shock of the photo, speechless at the audacity their youngest had committed, before looking up at the owner whose sitting across from them. Taemin’s crossed his arms over his chest, smirking at their reaction.

Minho’s hand shakes as he makes a thumbs up sign. “Taemin daebak…”

It causes Taemin to laugh and shakes his head. “It’s not real, it’s a clip on.”

All three of them breathe a sigh of relief they didn’t know they were holding. Onew returns to his chair and Jonghyun hands the phone back to Taemin. “Then why did you act like it was real?”

“Because it’s fun,” Taemin shrugs, turning to Key whose still passed out. “I didn’t know it would kill him.” The statement causes Minho to holler with laughter again until Onew shuts him up with a whack behind his head.

“You know Key can’t handle something like that,” Jonghyun sighs. “He still can’t watch horror or thriller movies alone.”

“You mean he can’t watch movies with other people,” Minho winces at the thought, before looking excited. “You said you got more than one piercing - Where’s the other one?”

“Ear piercings,” Taemin clarifies, pointing at both ears. “I got 2 on each ear.”

“Oh.” Minho leans back on his chair disappointed. “The nose piercing would have been so much cooler.”

“No more,” Onew gives Taemin a stern look, points at Minho for good measure. “That includes you too Minho, don’t you even think about it.”

Minho gives a somewhat innocent look that doesn’t fool anyone at the table. Taemin pokes at Key with his chopsticks. “Is Key going to be alright?”

“Yeah he gets like that,” Onew said while piling Taemin’s bowl with more vegetables. “He’ll wake up later and he’s going to be very pissed at you.”

Taemin gives a cheeky grin. “Worth it.”

 


 

This fic is in response to Taemin getting a tattoo that NOBODY HAS SEEN YET. YEAH WE KNEW YOU GOT IT YOU LITTLE BRAT! YOU AIN'T SLICK SO WHAT IS IT?!

Sorry lol. But does anyone know what Taemin's tattoo look like? Also I'm taking this oppurtunity to show the tattoo aftercare. I don't know if other people do that but that's what i did for mine, having it wrap.

If you enjoy what you read make sure to comment, subscribe, and upvote this fic!

The perfect picture for Taemin XD

Smug cat knife |  TAEMIN | image tagged in smug cat knife | made w/ Imgflip meme maker