A Ramyun Promise 2

One in a million

Insung and Jihyo have managed to avoid interaction for the past 10 years. They often meet in some circles but never really talked. She can still remember the first time she met him since he got discharged from mandatory military training. She had just broken up with her boss and CEO, but her agency decided not to make any public announcement about their break up. They attended an awards night ceremony. Jihyo saw him with a celebrity she heard he was dating. She slowed down her steps, unsure how to greet him. Insung didn’t even blink and greeted her the same way he greeted everyone else leaving her flustered. For someone who once promised to marry her, he was rather indifferent. She didn’t know whether to be relieved or to feel sad. Their next encounters were pretty much the same. Insung was nothing more than friendly and Jihyo took the cue and did the same. Maybe he had forgotten it, maybe he did that to every female lead he ever had, maybe Insung really was the notorious flirt he was rumored to be and she was only one of his conquest. Now, she felt so uncomfortable, she preferred that they don’t ever come across each other at all. But for some reason, they always run into each other.

Then one night on Kwangsoo’s birthday party (2016), they met again. Kwangsoo held a party and invited his celebrity friends. Because his Running Man family was too large, he had a separate party for them. But unfortunately Jihyo couldn’t join them because she was still in China with Gary as guests in a Chinese TV Show, she had promised a gift for Kwangsoo to make up for missing his birthday. When Jihyo returned to Korea, she called Kwangsoo so she could give her gift but Kwangsoo told her to bring it straight to his apartment since he has some friends over who also wants to say hi, including Song Joongki.

When Jihyo arrived at Kwangsoo’s unit, his celebrity friends were all there. Jihyo have met and have been acquainted with everyone and they call her noona. Kim Woobin, Im Joo Hwan, Do Kyung, Lee Sungkyung, Gong Hyojin, Kim Kibang, her old friend Joongki and Insung. “Noona!” they cheered when she came into the apartment. They ushered her to sit and join their drinking. Kwangsoo went to the kitchen and called out to her if she has eaten.

“It’s okay Kwangsoo-yah. I just really came to bring your gift and to say hello,” Jihyo called back. Everyone erupted into protest asking her to stay longer.

“It’s not that. It’s just that I came here straight from the airport. My mom will be surprised to find that my luggage is already home but the owner’s not,” Jihyo explained.

“Ah, noona! I’m jealous!” Joongki complained. “You came here just give Kwangsoo his gift?”

The rest of the guys expressed their amusement, while Kwangsoo chuckled loudly from the kitchen.

“You shouldn’t pamper him noona,” Woobin commented.

“That’s sweet,” Sungkyung added.

“Of course, because I heard you’re here too,” Jihyo nudged Joongki playfully to appease him. Kwangsoo placed a bowl of Kalguksu in front of her telling her to eat up.

She muttered her thanks when her phone suddenly rang.

“Oh, oppa?” Jihyo answered seeing that it was Yoo Jaesuk.

“You home already?” Jaesuk asked on the other line.

“No, oppa. I’m at Kwangsoo’s,” Jihyo answered. She pulled Kwangsoo to sit down next to her and told him that she was speaking with Jaesuk.

“Really?” came Jaesuk’s voice as Jihyo put him on speaker.

“Yes, oppa. I’ve put you on speaker. Say hi to Kwangsoo’s friends. They’re here to celebrate Kwangsoo’s birthday,” Jihyo explained.

“Who’s there?” Jaesuk asked, but everyone was already saying their greetings to him simultaneously. Jihyo was enumerating their names as Jaesuk greeted and exchanged jokes with them.

“By the way, Jihyo-yah,” Jaesuk said after the greeting session. “I called because I have a schedule conflict for tomorrow’s photoshoot. I was hoping we could move the date?” Jaesuk asked, referring to the clothing apparel that he’s endorsing along with Song Jihyo.

“Really, oppa?” Jihyo was rather ecstatic than disappointed. “Yes, please, please, please. I’ve been wanting to skip that too, since I haven’t had a day off since last week,” Jihyo explained.

“Good. I’ll have my manager call your manager. You have a good rest tomorrow, okay?” Jaesuk added.

“Yes, oppa. Thank you, thank you so much!” Jihyo repeated.

“Kwangsoo-yah?” Jaesuk called out.

“Yes, sir?” Kwangsoo answered automatically.

“You take care of your sister, okay?” Jaesuk said thoughtfully.

“Yes, hyung!” Kwangsoo said bowing unconsciously on his seat.

“Good. I’ll see you both on Monday.”

“See you, oppa! Take care!” Jihyo and the rest of the guests said their goodbyes.

“Yes!” Jihyo cheered pumping both fist in jubilee after hanging up and the other laughed and cheered with her. As actors, they know how a celebrity’s life can get so busy.

“Jaesuk oppa’s so sweet,” giggled Sunkyung.

“Noona, you should slow down a bit. You’re going to get sick again,” Joongki said thoughtfully patting her back.

“I’m fine,” Jihyo responded.

“You’re like an overworked idol,” Dokyung, who is an idol himself, commented. Kwangsoo and Woobin also expressed their concerns which Jihyo waved off, saying that she’s okay.

“Shouldn’t you be wiser in choosing your projects?” Insung said suddenly. He hasn’t uttered a word since Jihyo came and the first thing he said was more of a criticism rather than an expression of concern. Silence followed his words. Jihyo tried to mull over what he said. For the past year, she’s been working with a lot of projects from China, the last one being the season 2 of the Chinese version of “We Got Married” with Chen Bolin. Although it was tiring, Jihyo have always felt good about her projects. Well, except for “Ex-girlfriends Club” which didn’t do too well. Insung isn’t as busy but then again, he is one of Korea’s highest paid actors. His movie and drama projects were all commercially successful that he continuously earn money as he sleeps.

“Unlike yourself, I’m not an A-list actor. So I have to work extra hard for my fans,” Jihyo replied after much thought. The party was turning into a damper after the exchange.

“Well!” Woobin interrupted. “Since Jihyo noona got her long-awaited day off. Let’s get her drunk so she can sleep soundly tomorrow, agree?” Woobin proposed, raising his shot glass.

Everyone expressed their approval and Do Kyung started to fill their empty glasses, including Jihyo’s, who gave a half-hearted protest.

The night went on and Jihyo allowed herself to be entertained by Kwangsoo’s friends. Those who had schedules or have excuses had left early.

By midnight, the people in Kwangsoo’s apartment were already in a slumber. Jihyo was already dozing on the table. Park Boyoung who arrived after Jihyo did, was whisked off by her manager after only two hours. Kwangsoo came back in the apartment after seeing them out.

“Noona?” he said, gently shaking Jihyo awake. But Jihyo did not stir. Kwangsoo took Jihyo’s right arm and tried to lift her, but he was quite unsteady himself.

“What are you doing?” Insung asked extending his arms out to Jihyo in case she falls. Insung managed to “not” get drunk without anyone noticing.

“I’ll move her to my room,” Kwangsoo said.

“Why?” Insung asked suspiciously.

“So she could sleep comfortably,” Kwangsoo answered impatiently as if the answer was so obvious.

“Shouldn’t you wake her up so she could go home?” Insung suggested.

“No. Not without her manager,” Kwangsoo slurred. Or she’ll run into trouble. I don’t want to risk it.”

Kwangsoo tried a couple more times to carry Jihyo but failed, dropping her in the process.

“Let me do it!” Insung cried, brushing Kwangsoo off before they both hurt themselves. He put Jihyo’s arm over his shoulders and pulled her up in a lover’s carry.

Insung carried Jihyo to Kwangsoo’s room and laid her gently on the bed. The intimate act reminded him of their past love affair, eight years ago. He removed Jihyo’s arms from his shoulders but didn’t let go. Instead, he sat by the bed, holding unto Jihyo’s right hand. He stayed awhile longer just sitting there and studying her sleeping face. She has dark circles under her eyes, proof of her stress-inducing schedule. But other than that, nothing changed. He gently sweeped off stray strands of hair from her face. She was still as beautiful as she was eight years ago. After a few minutes, Insung forced himself to look away. As he was about to stand up to leave, he felt Jihyo’s hand tightened around his. He looked at her, mildly surprised, but she still had her eyes closed. Then—

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, with her eyes closed.

Insung was unsure of what she was referring to. He waited for her to say more, but she slept on. Before temptation gets the better of him, he went out of the room, remembering to lock the door. As he turned to the living room, he found Hyojin staring at his direction.

“I thought you left,” he mumbled feeling like a boy caught stealing.

“Of course, you wouldn’t notice. You only had eyes for her the whole night,” Hyojin said smirked. Insung looked guiltily around the room, hoping no one was listening to their conversation. Fortunately, everyone else seemed to be down and out.

“You should go home,” Insung suggested. Hyojin was a cool woman, a talented actress, and a good friend, but there was a hint of jealousy in her tone which he found uncomfortable. Sure, he flirted with her, but that was during filming. In all his dramas, he found it necessary to be a little in love with the female lead to make their chemistry more natural onscreen. All his female leads were natural charmers so it was no trouble at all. After filming wraps up, so does his little crush. The actresses he’s worked with so far, understands his intentions, but some, like Hyojin reads more into his actions.

“I thought you were taking me home?” Hyojin reminded him. Insung remembered that Kwangsoo made him promise to take Hyojin home, in case she gets too drunk. He guessed Kwangsoo, too, thought that there was something between them. Hyojin was not that drunk, but Insung nodded.

“So, you and Song Jihyo, huh?” Hyojin started as Insung backed away from the parking lot. Insung didn’t know how to tell her to shut it without being rude so he kept silent.

“How long has that been going on?” Hyojin continued. Insung kept his silence and concentrated on driving. “Didn’t you film ‘A Frozen Flower’ together? That’s right! Wait a minute, did you really sleep together? Is that why they seem so real—those bed scenes? ‘Cause that’s reall—“

“Shut it.”

“She isn’t really that good as an actress. I guess she got a lot of help from you, you two must’ve done quite a lot of practice rounds to create such a performance.”

“I told you to shut up.”

“Why are you being so sensitive?“

“Yah!” Insung interjected. “I don’t remember making comments about your private life, so why should you make comments about mine? Are you my girlfriend?” Insung glared at the stunned Hyojin. “No? I thought so, too?” coolly answering his own question.

Hyojin stayed silent for the rest of the drive home. However, before she got off his car, “Everyone thought Kwangsoo was the coward, but at least, he’s brave enough to confess his feelings.”

Insung planned on sleeping at Kwangsoo’s that night but drove to his own apartment instead. He drank some beer so he could fall asleep sooner, but Jihyo filled his thoughts. He laid awake on his bed, tossing and turning until finally he pulled out a box from under his bed. The box was about ten years old. Inside were the clothes that Jihyo wore when she stayed at his place for a week, there weren’t a lot. He kept them, in case his mother starts cleaning out his room unadvised. But there were letters in the box, too. Letters he wrote her when he was in the army. A sunbae had advised him to write letters to his loved ones whenever he feels lonely or stressed out. So he did. But he only wrote to one person—Jihyo.