Chapter 2

Aegis

“You lied to us! Get away you monster! Don’t ever come back here!”

The poor male right away stood up and run to them, eyes bawled red. “No, no. Please, I need to live. This is the only place that I could live.” He said begging the old couple, hands griping hard on their clothes.

Minwoo looked at them in shock. His head said he should not intervene in that problem. When he turned away, he could feel itchy on the right side of his abdomen. He peeked inside and he saw his insignia glowed. His breath pitched “why at this moment?”.

He turned back to the scene and what he saw is the male of the old couple ready to send a kick to the poor male, meanwhile his partner raised a hand to slap him. The poor male already stance himself to get that kick and slap. Minwoo focused his eyes on both of them then he closed his eyes, imagining the face of both on his head then he opens the eyes again. He walked closer, said, “stop.”

The pair freeze. The poor male that was ready to get hit looked up at the couple confused. “Go back inside without hurting him. Everything you had in mind will be gone. Forget it all.” said Minwoo in a stern voice. And then the couple went back inside the house, leaving Minwoo and the poor male alone.

The poor male looked up, he stared at Minwoo then raised his brows. “An aegis? Mind controller one?”.

Minwoo didn’t answer, he only stared at the other male blankly. The other male put his hands on his hips, “You don’t need to do that, you know? I can take care of myself.” he clicked his tongue then looking at his items on the road. His clothes and items floated up, then packed inside his bags.

“Your telekinesis… Are you sure it’s alright to do that now?”

The other male looked at him while his hand outstretched to the floating bag. Minwoo could see the male have pale skin, in contrast with his dark eye bags. “This? They already know that I am an aegis so…” he said biting the inner side of his cheeks. “I have you, a mind controller, I could beg you to remove their memory. Also now, there are only us, no one would see this except you.”

Minwoo started to realize, he shouldn’t care about this guy. He’s right, an aegis can take care of themself without anyone interrupting. He looked at the male, smiling at him. Then he turned his body to the way to his home.

“W-wait! Can I go with you?”

No. No. Minwoo you should say no, he thought.

But otherwise stated from his mouth.

“Yes.”

Without looking, Minwoo could feel the man smiling lightly then walk beside him. He would like to go into the male’s head, but he sensed the other male putting up a shield so he can’t access it. Minwoo glanced at the male, he is a little bit taller than him also thinner than him. But he looked younger than him.

“Shouldn’t we introduce ourselves?” the other male said grinning at Minwoo, hands stretching out to him. His eyes still looked puffy but better than before.

Minwoo stopped his walk, turned to the male. “Lee Minwoo, 36 years old,” he said shaking the other male’s hand.

“Andy, 34 years old.”

Minwoo raised one of his brows. “Just Andy?” he asked pulling his hand away and continue walking. “Uh…. yeah??” Somehow Andy’s response sounded unsure.

Great, Minwoo thought. He accidentally met another aegis and that person already hiding his identity. Now the lost puppy seems will stick with him for a while. What a great idea to save him. He is pretty sure that he will be regretting his choice later. Or maybe not? The only thing that he need is to keep hidden his aegis status from the outside world, and it seems Andy coming with him would not make his plan running smoothly.

Once they are already in Minwoo’s apartment. Andy put down his bag in the living room then walked to Minwoo’s kitchen. Andy asked if he already ate something, Minwoo answered not yet. The younger male opened his cabinets looking for food. Thank God, Minwoo always stocks his kitchen so nothing to worry about when it comes to food, not like his best friend Dongwan. Andy asked him permission if he can use the kitchen to cook something, Minwoo sat down on a dining chair with a glass of water and a bottle of medicine, also he answered that the younger can do anything.

It is so weird to let the younger guy which he just knows like 20 minutes ago to cooking at his place.

“You sick, hyung?” Andy asked chopping some garlic, mushrooms, green onions, and tofu. Then he opened the fridge looking inside if Minwoo has beef and some sauces.

“Got drunk last night at my friend’s. And… he left me.” Minwoo was kind of shocked when the younger male called him ‘hyung’, look at him, he tried to be closer with Minwoo. But Minwoo knows he needs to be careful of another aegis. Because of their ability, it is not a good thing to knowing each other abilities and weaknesses to not outwit each other. That is what Minwoo believes. He took down two pills, eyes fall on Andy’s back. “Is that so? Wow, such a douchebag.” Andy chuckled. This time Minwoo agreed Kim Dongwan is a douchebag. Andy tilted his head to Minwoo, “hyung, where is the pot?”

Minwoo pointed at one of his cabinets far away from Andy’s position. Andy raised his right arm opening his palm. The cabinet opened and his pot floating away to Andy’s hand. He grabbed it then continue cooking. “You shouldn’t use your power like that though,” Minwoo nagged at him. Andy on the other side smiled, “why? The only one who saw it only you.”

“Don’t you scared knowing my ability to control people? that I might be controlling you? Also, what if people know you’re an aegis? Isn’t something like before will happens again?”

The smell of Andy’s cooking went into Minwoo’s nose activating his brain to giving out a hunger reaction. Andy turned his body grabbing a silicone pad from Minwoo’s dishrack then using his power to put it on the dining table. Minwoo stared at the flying pad, and then suddenly a pot was put on top of the pad while bowls and utensils flying around him.

Andy stood across Minwoo with a proud smile while hands tucked on his side. “Minwoo hyung, I know when I need to use my power or when I need to hide it. No need to worry! If that happens again, well, I could move on. Now let’s eat, shall we?”

Both start enjoying their meal. Surprisingly, Andy was a good chef. He somehow made a seolleongtang with hand-torn noodles. The soup went right into Minwoo’s throat. It felt warming his inside and clearing up his headache. The noodle’s texture felt nice, it wasn’t hard or too soft, but it was chewy enough for him. Minwoo just keeps eating and eating without realizing Andy watching him. The younger one taking his time to finish his meal, meanwhile Minwoo is already on his second bowl.

“Is it that good or are you really hungry?”

Minwoo raised his face to Andy, he smiled and nod “both of them.”

Andy grinned at him with pride spreading on his chest. After finishing their meal, they talked about a lot of things while doing dishes. Unexpectedly, Minwoo thought Andy was an introverted person, but he doesn’t. Minwoo noted himself that he shouldn’t judge people right away by their appearance. Well, Andy does seem introverted, shy, unable to taking care of himself. Minwoo enjoyed Andy’s presence until their topic changed into a political one. It was not that Minwoo is a person who enjoys their country’s politics, it is just uncomfortable because the topic touches on aegis too.

“I really want to work with the government’s aegis project,” said Andy bluntly.

Minwoo looked up at him confused. Andy explained that the government recruiting aegis people to work with them. He didn’t really know the actual purpose of that project, it could be they using aegis people as weapons when world war coming, but he pretty sure one of the reasons they begin that project is to cool down the heat caused by Adamant lately in Seoul. As far as he knew, the project itself was still a classified project.

Andy turned off the faucet and walking to Minwoo’s living room. He sat down on a sofa, taking the left side while Minwoo follows him on the right side. The older male took a remote then turning the TV on. The TV screen showing news of a serial murder case. Apparently, all the victims are aegis and the killing spree getting frequent lately. “Speaking of Adamant….”

Adamant is a big community of aegis but in a bad way, if Minwoo would say. Not like Minwoo and Andy, aegises that joined adamant more likely people who really hate the government and society. Assuming they have low welfare, they got categorized as criminals. Around 10 years ago, when things weren’t bad like today, they blew one of the Ministry National Defense’s important offices. Surely that accident caused big chaos made Minwoo had to hide his identity. Humans got kidnapped or killed right away on the street. Also, if you are unlucky, you could find aegises in the street could be kidnapped by adamant people. The probability they could live was small. Even one day when Minwoo went out to get supplies, he saw pool of blood everywhere together with bodies secreting the liquid. He couldn’t recognize those people anymore at that time if they are aegis from adamant or poor innocent aegis or normal humans. Weirdly, the government can keep ‘aegis is only a myth’ as a fact to cover them. Trauma lingers on Minwoo’s head just because of that event and that’s the reason why Minwoo hide his identity until now. Well, he will always hide his identity until he died anyway.

Andy felt tingling on his side as he took a glance at Minwoo. The older male trembling a bit as he sighed and closing both his eyes. Humans can not recognize aegis people, but aegises can recognize each other. The news surely disturbing a bit on him since he could recognize the victim was an aegis. Andy stole the remote from his hand then he turns the TV off. “Alright, it’s time to take a rest. Hyung you better go to your bed, I’ll wake you up when it’s dinner time!” Andy pulling Minwoo up. Before Minwoo can protest, Andy already shutting him off by patting his shoulder.

“So, which room I could take?” Andy took his bag while Minwoo pointing to a door. “Any rules while I living in here? Especially since…. it would be weird you are taking me off-street and we only know each other for like a few hours. In case that you don’t trust me.” Andy asked again taking a light step to his destined room.

A frown appeared on Minwoo’s face. “Yeah, it was weird when you said so. I don’t trust you yet so open that guard up.” He said while crossing his arms in front of his chest. Andy turned to him in confusion until he realizes what guard Minwoo meant. “You mean this?” His finger pointed to his head then Minwoo nod. Andy chuckled, “I’m sorry hyung but I can’t. It would be dangerous if I had to put down my mind guard. You know that I am a mind user too.”

“Then let me link to your mind.”

Andy blinked in Minwoo’s suggestion. He couldn’t understand why Minwoo asking him to link his mind. As far he knows, mind linking only providing telepathy.

“Yeah, sure.”

Minwoo touched Andy’s temple, there was a weird tingling, electricity sensation from Minwoo’s finger. Both of them felt it while Minwoo trying to reach Andy’s mind. It took a while since Andy’s mind look like a puzzle and a lot of rooms he needs to unlock, different from Dongwan’s since according to Minwoo he is pretty simple-minded and his power not really using his mind. When he finished, he pulled away. Andy smiled, he said that Minwoo doesn’t need to worry since he means no harm to him. The younger guy went inside his room, leaving Minwoo alone. Minwoo rubbed his arm worrying about what future waiting for him.

 

Andy stood in the kitchen when it was near dinner time. He was cutting vegetables he could find on the fridge. Apparently, he found a gourami fish in Minwoo’s freezer. He thought he could make deep-fried gourami covered in flour with sweet and sour sauce. When he turned his body to get spices suddenly strong wind threw him to wall across the kitchen. His back hit the wall hard while the knife on his hand slipped down to the floor. Andy groaned closing both his eyes, it is hurt really bad but luckily the knife did not stab him.

“Who are you? Why are you in Minwoo’s house?”

He felt a hand on his neck, grasping it tightly suffocating him. Both Andy’s eyes opened, he stares at the unknown male in front of him frowning.

“W….W-Who… ar..re… y-you?”

Andy grabbed his arm pinching it hardly hoping he could release him, but it did not affect him slightly. “I ask you once again, who are you?” the unknown male tightening his grip. Andy’s mouth opened but no voice came out. He already looked pale, his mind is hazy but he tried to focus on the knife sprawled on the floor.

He could focus using his power to move that knife, pointing at the unknown male, and tried to stab him. At least he tried, even though the unknown male wag his left hand and there is a wind blows the knife away.

Andy noticed the unknown male is an aegis, with all his might he flew things around him aiming at the unknown male’s vital body part. But the other male obviously much stronger rather than him, his windshields him from thrown items.

“Dongwan! It’s okay, drop him!”

Both of the males tilted their heads looking at Minwoo who already stood in front of his room doorframe.

Dongwan whined, “you never let anyone inside, especially an aegis one except me.” He walked to Minwoo with crossing arms in front of his chest. Minwoo looked at him with a complicated expression, “well, it’s a long story.” He rubbed the area behind his neck nervously.

Behind Dongwan, Andy coughed and having a hard time inhaling air, getting them into his lung, and having his blood circulation back to normal.

“Explain. Now.” Dongwan’s voice sounded as stern as his face.

“Andy, this is Dongwan. Dongwan, that is Andy. I found up with him being thrown into the street and ended up he is going to stay in this house, at least until he finds a new house to live in,” said Minwoo pointing at each other.

Dongwan grumbled, “and are you sure he is not a part of the adamant?” Minwoo replied with a nod meanwhile Dongwan grabbed his shoulder, pushing him to the nearest wall.

“Minwoo-ya, you don’t know about people and what lies within them.”

“Hyung!” Andy called out as he is looking at whimpered Minwoo. He was ready to use his power to throw things again but Minwoo giving him a sign that he is okay. Dongwan released Minwoo and the shorter guy had to explain to Andy that it was normal for him and Dongwan to bicker about something until like that. Minwoo also explained that Dongwan is his close friend -more likely a best friend since Dongwan always stays on Minwoo’s side- and he is pretty safe. He also told Andy that Dongwan is older than the tallest guy among the three.

Dongwan came up to him, a right hand reached out to Andy, “I’m sorry about before, Dongwan, Kim Dongwan.”

Andy looked at his hand then his eyes. He looked does not sure if he had to shake hands with Dongwan or not. But at least he could see Dongwan did not prepare anything to attack him in sudden so he just accepting it and shaking hands. “I’m Andy, probably I’m going to stay here for a while as Minwoo hyung’s maid until I get a new job and can move out,” Andy smiled a bit.

While they were eating, Dongwan keeps glancing at both Minwoo and Andy. He does not feel sure about the younger male living in Minwoo’s house. Until Andy finally finished cleaning dishes and went to his bedroom, leaving Minwoo and Dongwan alone together.

Dongwan sighed, “does he really need to stay in here?”. Minwoo shrugged off his shoulders.

“I have no choice.”

“You have.”

They keep bickering from one topic to another. If some strangers don’t know what kind of friendship they have, probably those strangers would think they are an old pair of couple. Minwoo keeps ignoring Dongwan’s nags until an interesting sentence caught his focus.

“I got some information that the adamants searching for you.”

Minwoo looked at Dongwan’s eyes seriously, asking him where he got that information from. Dongwan shook his head saying that he cannot tell from where. The shorter male suddenly feeling nervous, bit his thumb nail unconsciously. Dongwan told him to not bite his nail as he slaps his hand away.

Dongwan keep nagging at him until Minwoo bent down his body with palms on his temple, groaned, “someone – no, probably five or more people coming here—”

BANG! BANG! BRAK!