Chapter 1

Aegis

Aegis. Means protection, backing, support. In Greek mythology, it is a shield used by Zeus. There is a belief that among usual humans, 1 out of thousands people is an aegis. They are people who have been chosen by God as protectors, either when they are born or chosen in the middle of their life. Chosen to have special abilities in order to protect people. Hundred years ago, humans believed that aegis people were special. But now? For humans, It seems that they are only a myth.

But a belief is not only a belief. They are real. Living among us. It is just only they are hidden since people now not believing aegis things anymore.

Lee Minwoo, a 36 years old male, working at his own café Roof And. His face looked sour as pain rummaging his head. His right hand held a kettle filled with hot water start trembling. He aware of that and right away put down the kettle, not wanting the water to burn his skin if it falls. He put his weight down on the table, sighed, “what the hell…”

“Boss, are you okay? You look pale,” suddenly a younger staff came inside the kitchen which Lee Minwoo located. His eyebrows raised, eyes filled with worry. Minwoo smiled at him, said that he is fine nothing to worry about. Before the staff leaves Minwoo alone, he had to ask him to come closer. Once the staff stood beside Minwoo, the older male put his forefinger and middle finger on the younger’s temple. When the skin touched, he could feel an electric sensation running through his veins. Minwoo looked at the younger male deeply.

Tell me, anything suspicious outside there?

“No, sir. There is nothing suspicious…. At least.”

At least?

“Yes, just…. There was a person, clothes all black with a heavy aura. He was looking around first after stepping inside the café. I don’t know but he seems like a gang member?”

Do you think he is an aegis?

“I… don’t know sir. Are they really alive in this era?”

Minwoo closed his eyes, sighed. “Forget about everything.” He said releasing his fingers away from the staff’s temple. He crossed his arms together while looking down at the kettle. “Uh… sir?” Just like that, the staff blinked his eyes and does not remember what Minwoo did to him.

Minwoo looked up to the staff, lips curved into a smile “I think I need to go. Could you take care of this?” He patted the table surface which had a package of chocolate powder, kettle with hot water, glasses, etc. He is supposed to make a new batch of his menu but his headache and the fresh information about a strange person make him realize he needs to go. The staff nodded as he takes Minwoo’s position. Minwoo moved a bit, taking off his apron. He moved fast, grabbing his jacket in the staff’s lounge then walking out by the café’s back door.

He walked down, pulling out his phone from his pants pocket. Thumb tapped numbers on the screen, trying to dial someone. He put his phone near his ear, waiting for the person which he called to answer him. “Come on pick up the phone.”

Suddenly he could hear the person. Minwoo smiled a bit.

“Why the hell you call me in the middle of the day?”

“Hey, Dongwan. I need to go to your place. Now.”

 

 

“You dickhead why so suddenly?!” Dongwan opened his apartment door, letting the shorter male come inside his home. Minwoo put a hand on his left chest while smiling sourly. Aside from his head getting hurt, his chest too. Standing near Dongwan made his heart beating fast and deep as if it is going to burst if Minwoo unable to control it, or the other person control it.

“Have something to talk but first put goddamn your shield up. My heart and brain feel like going to burst right now.”

“Hell no. My house, my rules. Minwoo-ya.”

Dongwan crossed his arms. Minwoo could saw a smirk on his face while looking at him tortured.

What a douchebag.

Ckckck what a bad word, Minwoo. You can sit on the sofa, or would you like to sit on the floor?

Minwoo ignored him. He took off his shoes then walk inside to the sofa. He sprawled himself into the sofa, face rubbing the fabric. Suddenly he felt his chest and head lighter. He looked up, saw Dongwan putting down two small glasses and a bottle of soju on the coffee table. But that was not things that make his pain lighten. He saw Dongwan putting up a shield, a psychic shield. That is a good thing but putting up a shield means Minwoo cannot telepath with him.

Dongwan pours both glasses of soju. Then he sat down beside Minwoo and drank one of them. He calmly waits for the slightly shorter man to talk about things on his mind. He put a hand on one of Minwoo’s thighs, then he patted it. Minwoo whimpered at the sensation.

“Someone came to my café.”

“Wow, your café must be going to close soon since the owner meeting someone that catches his mind. Is that person a female? Did you ask for her number? You finally going on date again?” Dongwan asked sarcastically.

“Close my . Roof And will not close down until I reach the bottom. And no. That person is not a female.”

“Who?”

“I didn’t see it. Suddenly my head hurts, chest felt like someone gripped it, can’t breathe for a while. Asked my staff and he said someone with all black clothes and heavy aura looked suspicious.”

“You thought he is an aegis?”

Minwoo didn’t answer him rather he took a shot of soju then pour it to drink again. The liquid went down, and it felt burn a bit on his throat. Dongwan took a glance at him. In his eyes, Minwoo looked scared. “If he is an aegis, should not your insignia glow? Just like the first time we met?” Dongwan asked as he gets another shot. Minwoo shook his head, “I didn’t check it or more likely I didn’t realize it?” he took another shot, again.

Dongwan sighed. He thought probably tonight Minwoo will get drunk then sleep on his sofa, then gone as if nothing happened. He hates it whenever Minwoo does that, but he more hates it to know that he always did that. “Ain’t your telepathy working at that time?”

“I blocked my mind. You know, keeping myself sane rather than hearing other people’s thoughts,” Minwoo shrugged off.

Dongwan shifted his position to Minwoo. “Look, Minwoo. Meeting up with an aegis isn’t bad. I mean you don’t need to hide,” He said while his fingers move to form a small air ball then flicks it to Minwoo. The ball hit Minwoo’s forehead then vanished. Minwoo’s face wrinkled then he stares at Dongwan.

“Yeah, whenever I told them I am an aegis, they freaked out and thought I am crazy or as if I am a monster,” said Minwoo as he pouts.

Dongwan snickered. “More than 20 dates, Wan. 20!! More than 20 ladies said that to my face! Well not all of them said by their mouth but some by their mind” Minwoo threw his arms up in the air in frustration.

“Oh God, I’m jealous by your ability but hell nah I don’t want to listen to people’s minds on my blind dates,” said Dongwan.

“This is the reason why I’m still single as .” Minwoo murmured while he lifts his shirt, showing a moon crescent with cool-looking lines -that is what Dongwan thought- insignia on his right-side abdomen. Right hand slapped the skin around.

Dongwan pulled his shirt, showing some of his upper body. Minwoo could see Dongwan’s insignia on his left chest, near his clavicula and shoulder. Dongwan’s insignia almost the same as Minwoo’s, the different only lines that accompany the moon crescent. Dongwan’s lines looked softer, probably it is a sign of his ability to control the wind. “Be proud of it, you got some cool lines there. Mine looked like a lady’s insignia.”

Minwoo chuckled at Dongwan’s statement. “Sorry Wan, I just…. I don’t know. I think I worried too much about it.”

Exactly what Dongwan expected, Minwoo sleeping at his house now. He curled up on his sofa, eyes closed, chest raised as he could hear his soft breath. He took a blanket and cover the shorter male. Crouching beside him, he looked at the sleeping face. “There is no way Adamants searching for us, right?” he murmured while his hand caresses Minwoo’s hair. Then he stood up, walking away to the apartment’s windows that facing the veranda. He opened it and let the cold night breeze went inside.

His eyes gazed longingly at the night sky. “I should be careful.” He pulled out a long sigh, then he vanished into the air leaving the windows closed and Minwoo alone.

 

 

What pissed Minwoo in the morning is the fact that Kim Dongwan left him alone in his house while he still has a headache. Not because his own ability problem but that douchebag got him drunk and left him without any sign of hangover meals or something?!

He rummaged Dongwan’s refrigerator, looking for anything that he could eat or cook. But his result is nothing. There is nothing he could eat since Dongwan’s refrigerator is only filled with beer cans, a pack of kimchi, meat, and a carton of eggs. He could make fried beef dipped with egg but, nah, he ain’t eat something like that to cure his hangover.

When he closed the refrigerator’s door, he noticed a note sticking at the surface.

There’s nothing to eat, get back to your home. -Wan

Minwoo wrinkled his brows. He growled then rips the paper and threw it into a trashcan. He moved to the sofa, grabbed his jacket, walked down to the front door, and saw another note.

Please lock the door again when you leave -Wan

Just like that, he went outside after locking Dongwan’s door.

As if a hammer pounding a nail, that is what exactly happened in Minwoo’s head. He walked down the downtown slowly while massaging his temples. Step by step all he could feel was his breath getting shorter. ‘Something isn’t right,’ he thought as eyes roaming around the area.

The route he picked was a quiet road. His head could catch any voice from people around him even if they didn’t appear in front of him. He could listen to a household having bickering, someone crying, someone having a dilemma inside their head, someone having a naughty moment, some people -three or maybe four- having a birthday party, and one of them not excited about the idea. He can hear all of them and that is making his stomach churn.

Suddenly a loud bang makes him turned his head. He saw someone thrown off to the road with 2 bags. And then a pair of old couple came out from the door in front of that person, their face looked angry while throwing smaller things to the poor male laying in the road, covering his face so items will not hit his face.

“You lied to us! Go away you monster! Don’t ever come back here!”

 

 A/N: Ah, finally my first chapter. Kinda nervous since it's my first fic since the last time writing something (and it was unfinished) q-q