Nayeon's POV

The Story Behind a Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I took a deep breath and put on a bright smile as I entered my classroom.

"Good Morning everyone! Hope today will be a great day! Have fun studying! Fighting!" I greeted everyone, pumping my fist in the air.

"How can studying be fun, Nayeon?" The pale-skinned boy groaned.

"I agree! Today won't be great!" The boy with dimples agreed.

The other students murmured in agreement.

"Well, I just want to give you guys encouragement! Maybe that'll help you guys go though the day!" I reasoned.

"Wow, thank you so much, Nayeon! You're the best! With your pretty smile, I could go through anything!" The biggest flirt in our class flirted.

The rest of the boys booed at him. I just smiled at their little interaction.
 

As soon as the bell rang, indicating it was lunchtime. My friends approached me and we went to the cafeteria together. Calling them "friends" sounded so wrong, when they knew absolutely nothing about me. All they knew was that I was the most popular girl at school and being with me raised the possibility of them getting popular too. I didn't even know why I hung out with them.

"Guys, I'm gonna go to the toilet, ok?" I informed them.

They just nodded at me and I left. After doing my business, I washed my hands. The mirror in front of me showed my reflection. I stared at it a bit longer. Who was this person in front of me? Everyone knew me as this happy-go-lucky girl, their mood-booster. All those boys who had a crush on me, would they still love me, if they knew the true me? All those girls, who hung out with me, would they still hang out with me, if I wasn't popular?

I didn't know why I did this, when it was obviously hurting me more. I didn't know why I tried so hard to please everyone. All I knew was that it was so painful, facing everything by myself. Nobody should have to experience what I experienced. I made sure everyone was happy, comforted those who were down. The question is, who would do that for me? Who would make sure that I was happy? Who would comfort me when I was down?
 

After dismissal, I walked home using my earphones, listening to heavy metal music. I wasn't very fond of them, but it was the only type of music that could drown out the sounds of my surrounding. When my parents were quarreling, I always made sure my ears were covered with my earphones, while heavy metal music was blaring in my ears.

Not long after, I reached home. "Home" was not a right word to describe this place, since I'd never felt at ease here, with them spitting venomous words at each other. I unlocked my door and was shocked with the sight in front of me. Shattered pieces of plates and glasses were everywhere on the floor. My mother grabbed a nearby vase and threw it at my father. I quickly ran to my room, afraid to get hit. 

Tears streamed down my face, as the voice of the artist screamed his lungs out at my ears. They didn't even notice that I'd arrived home. Things just got worse everyday. Would there ever be a day where they would get along? Or would my greatest fear become a reality sooner than I thought?

My hands trembled as I recalled, the face of my mother when she threw the vase at my father. It was full of anger and hatred, I couldn't see any loving gaze from her. Somebody, please help me! Please save me from this mess!

"Im Nayeon, I love you so much! Please accept my confession!" A boy, a grade lower than me, confessed.

Yet another confession. They all said they loved me, but who was I? Did they know who I was? Who am I kidding, I didn't even know myself, much less them. How can you love someone you don't know? Exactly, you can't. I beamed a smile at him.

"I'm sorry I'm not ready to get into a relationship!" I apologized.

The boy looked down. I ruffled his hair.

"You'll find someone better than me!" I assured him.

"Noone's better than you, Im Nayeon!" he blubbered.

"Don't be silly, of course there are!" I retorted with a smile on my face and then left him to enter my class.
 

"Another confession?" Mina, my seatmate and friend, asked as I sat beside her.

"Ah yeah" I replied.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't our favorite heartbreaker!" she teased, grinning widely.

"Oh, stop it, Mina. I'm just not ready for a relationship." I faltered.

"Yeah, yeah, of course you are!" Mina remarked.

"By the way, be ready to break another heart!" she insinuated.

I raised my eyebrow at her remark.

"Yoo Jeongyeon came to me and asked me about your parents and your house! I think he's interested in you" she explained.

Wait, what? Yoo Jeongyeon? I looked at his seat and he was lazily leaning his head on the table. I didn't know, what was the deal with that boy, but I had a feeling that he hated me. I didn't know, what I'd done to him to possibly deserve this, but he hated me, I could tell.

"What did he exactly say?" I quizzed Mina.

"Well, he was goi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter