Jeongyeon's POV

The Story Behind a Smile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Good Morning everyone! Hope today will be a great day! Have fun studying! Fighting!" The bunny teethed-girl said, while pumping her fist in the air with a very bright smile on her face as she entered the class.

"How can studying be fun, Nayeon?" The pale-skinned boy groaned.

"I agree! Today won't be great!" The boy with dimples agreed.

The other students, except for me murmured in agreement.

"Well, I just want to give you guys encouragement! Maybe that'll help you guys go though the day!" Nayeon reasoned.

"Wow, thank you so much, Nayeon! You're the best! With your pretty smile, I could go through anything!" The biggest flirt in our class flirted.

The rest of the boys booed at him, angry that he dared to flirt so openly with the prettiest girl in our class. That girl is Im Nayeon. Every Boy had a crush on her. Every girl wanted to be her friend and wished they were her. She was oozing with positivity and was basically a ball of sunshine.

She was always smiling. Cheering people up. Comforting the ones who needed help. Making people smile with her aegyo. Friendly to everyone. Everyone enjoyed her company. It seemed as if it was impossible for her to be sad. I wish I could be like everyone else, clueless.

Sadly, I have the ability to know whether someone is fake or not through their eyes. Whenever she was smiling, making people laugh. I couldn't see genuine happiness in her eyes, only emptiness and well, sadness? I wasn't sure, but it certainly wasn't positive emotion. She was only faking it. For what purpose? I didn't know.

The most important thing is, I hate fake people. I hate Im Nayeon. Whenever she did her stupid aegyo, I could only cringe. Whenever she was smiling, I wish I could wipe it out of her face. I wish people could see her through my lens. Then, they would see, how much of a hyprocrite she was.






 

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months. I couldn't stand it anymore. I had this burning feeling in my chest. I wanted to expose her. So, one day I decided to follow her until she reached her house. Maybe she would drop her stupid facade at home.

I kept on following her, thankfully she didn't suspect a thing. She was wearing her earphone, perhaps listening to music. We kept on walking and walking until we reached her house. From the outside, I could already hear shouting and plates breaking, but Nayeon did not even flinch. Maybe she didn't hear it because she was using her earphone.

She just casually unlocked the gate and entered. The screaming and plates breaking intensified. What was going on? Would Nayeon be safe? What if the plate hit her? What if she stepped on the broken glasses. I wanted to enter her house and save her, but how? I didn't want her to know that I was following her home. So, in the end, albeit reluctantly, I turned my back and headed home.






 

The next day, I decided to ask one of her many friends, Mina, all the questions in my head.

"Hi Mina!" I greeted her.

"Oh, hi Jeongyeon." She greeted back.

"Do you need anything?" She added.

"Uhm, I just wanna ask you about Nayeon. Do you know what's going on in her house?" I asked.

"What? Well, I wouldn't know. We've never been to her house. Whenever we're having a sleepover or group project, we never go to her house. She said her house was too small." Mina answered.

"Why are you asking this?" Mina questioned.

"Nothing." I replied.

"Uhm, does she live with her parents?" I asked.

"Yeah, as far as I'm concerned." Mina replied.

"Wait, why are you asking all this?" Mina asked.

She smirked.

"I think I know why!" She teased, wiggling her eyebrows.

"She never accepts people asking her out. She said, she's not ready to get into  a relationship." Mina explained.

"Prepare to get your heart broken." She added.

Then, she left me, grinning widely. Aish, this was so embarrassing. Now, one of her friends thought I liked her. Argh, so annoying. Wait, if she was living with her parents, then the shouting and breaking of plates yesterday came from her parents. So, that's the condition that she lived in. Poor girl. I judged her too quickly.

I guess it's true, then. The brightest smile hides the deepest pain. She was sad, that's why she smiled so everyone else didn't have to be sad like her. She cheered people up, because nobody had ever done that for her and I was determined to be that person for her. Perhaps this was my way of apologizing too, for judging her too quickly. I wanted to see her genuine smile and I was determined to get it.






 

Next day after dismissal, I nervously approached her.

"Hey Nayeon, can I talk to you, please?" I asked he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter