Chapter 4

21st Century Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 4

Tteokbokkie

 

 

THE ROSE PALACE, GRAND HALL, HALLWAY

Joohyun in a Gown.

Joohyun Bae was exhaling to herself, if you asked her a week ago if she ever envisioned herself in a fancy expensive gown and high heels she would have never said yes.

But here she was right now, in the fancy hallway of the Rose Palace of the South Korean Monarchy in a few minutes the Royal Guards about to call her name and open the big fancy wooden antique door to the Grand Hall for the whole world to see and witness, the woman named Joohyun Bae…

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

 

 

 

 

THE SMALL CONDO UNIT, LIVING ROOM 

A tall woman in a black suit and skirt hands a red card.

“That’s the official calling card of the Chief of Staff of the Princess ma’am, if you need anything…like people harassing you again in your door don’t hesitate to call my office number okay?” Bada tells Mrs. Bae.

“T-Thank you ma’am, for everything.” She bowed.

“It’s not me you need to thank this is all done by the Princess, ma’am.” The chief of staff, Bada replies.

“Oh, I meant to thank the Princess too! Please send my thank you to her.”

“Okay, also-“

“Hey, where did the Princess bring my unnie!? If she tries to do something to my unnie even if she’s the Princess, I’ll make sure she regrets even placing her hand on my sister’s hand!” Yeri jumps on the conversation that her mother can only try to shush her embarrassing daughter.

“Don’t worry, the Princess is nothing like you are trying to portray…it’s your sister we are actually being suspicious of.” Bada bites back.

“What?” The mother now, Younghee Bae, now raises her eyebrow.

“I don’t want to throw some generic tagline that we might be poor but we still have some pride, but WE DO! My daughter doesn’t need any rich man or woman to save her! She’s been doing nothing but be a good daughter to her lame mother and hardheaded sister-“

“Yeah…wait a minute…” Yeri who keeps agreeing to her mother now realizes she was diss by her own mother.

“I didn’t mean that Mrs. Bae I just-“

“You can insult me because it is true I’m nothing but a heavy burden to my children, but please keep my hard working good daughter’s name out of your mouth.” Younghee tells the Royal Chief of Staff of the Princess of South Korea.

It made Bada realize that her fault and now bowed at the older woman.

“I’m sorry ma’am…that was out of line…I will do better next time, especially I represent the good kind name of Princess Seungwan.” She finally apologizes and the matriarch accepts.

 

INSIDE THE PRINCESS’ CAR

“Would you like to be my fiancé?” The Princess asks the girl she was still holding hands with.

She really didn’t know why she blurted it out, maybe it was just because she just held hands with Joohyun in front of the whole press of South Korea, maybe because of the adrenaline rush of being irrational even if she knew as the future Queen she must be responsible always…

But at this moment, in this backseat where the two strangers are being pulled together by certain events, Seungwan was serious in asking that question, so it was important for her too, to know what would be the answer of this long black haired beauty.

Only a puzzled stare can be shown on Joohyun’s face as she didn’t know if this powerful, beautiful, rich and future leader of South Korea was joking at her. But she also saw how determined the light brown haired girl in waiting in silence for her answer so she finally decided to open .

“Seungwan-ssi….I think-“

“Your Royal Highness! We finally lose those pesky paparazzis!” Shownu’s impeccable worse timing from the seat next to the driver seat, excitedly announces to the two women sharing a tender moment.

The Princess stared at her main bodyguard/bestfriend like she was about to choke his thick neck with her hands, that finally Shownu realize how bad his interruption is and quickly turns to the front view of the car.

As Seungwan returns to staring at the woman she just ask to marry and was about to answer her, she realized that Joohyun was now busy looking at her side of the window, so busy that she decided it was rude for her to interrupt this lady’s occupied view, so she turns to her side of the car to “stare” at things too.

A realization popped out of her mind, she just ask this beautiful stranger she has known less than 24 hours to marry her, without any preparation plus…they…were…still…holding…hands. 

“Okay…”

“This is getting awkward minute by minute…”

“Seungwan Son, this is your effing fault…”

“You should have let go once the both of you got inside the car…”

These are the nervous thoughts of the only heir to the South Korean throne, as she was still holding with her left hand, the right hand of one black haired beautiful girl, who has manage to make her do things she has not even thought she will do for anyone which is…

“Acting without thinking…”

A sigh was made by the now blushing from embarrassment princess.

“Brava just, brava Seungwan Son…”

She kept criticizing herself.

“Um…Seungwan-ssi? Aren’t you older than me? Shouldn’t I call you in a more appropriate…name?” Joohyun’s voice finally made Her Royal Highness stare the black haired beautiful girl.

The princess wondered why as she turned, why this woman was not as awkward as she? Their hands were still holding each other, but Joohyun seems so cool about it, her coolness was not malicious though, like it was not assuming this action the Princess and an average beautiful woman like her’s hand was just really simplyyyy holding hands…nothing more…

Which somehow made the Princess feel an ache that she too couldn’t understand, the long light brown haired girl now decided to ignore this ache and replied to the sweet voice who called for her.

“Yahhhh, I already told you it’s fine to address me as Seungwan…you can even leave out the –ssi if you want~” Seungwan now giggled.

“But-“

“Ah!” The Princess interrupts as if she is telling the younger woman to address her in the name she prefers.

“Fine…Seungwan…about the clothes…I’m gonna pay them since-“

“What!? No, it’s a huge NO Joohyun, I told you I will pay for it and I mean it.”

“This is already too much and-“

“Nope, Seungwan Son will not listen not unless you stop guilt tripping your incredible self for protecting me from those pesky vulture called press that I’m returning through fixing the mess I made for you.” Seungwan now closes her eyes and turns her head by the window.

Joohyun stared at Shownu as if she was asking is this how the Princess manages her staff??? Which earns as gentle smile and nod from the head bodyguard himself.

“Alright…I’m sorry-“

“Why do you keep apologizing Joohyun Bae-“

“And I’m thankful of you and your team…thank you so much.” Joohyun continued and finally ends with a smile.

Which earns a smile as well from the Princess who just staring at her beautiful face.

“By the way I-I…just…wanna know…where are we going now?” A valid question imposed by the ordinary gorgeous citizen.

“Oh yeah….well-“ Seungwan was about to reply when Joohyun’s stomach suddenly made a hungry rumble.

“I-I’m sorry! I realized I haven’t eaten anything! I’m really sorry!” Joohyun now took her hand that was holding on to the Princess to cover her face out of embarrassment.

Seungwan notices that the beautiful girl’s ears were so red too, and she realizes that it was her that needs to apologize, for because of her, for this innocent woman’s ordinary life has been thrown into chaos, all because of the Princess of South Korea… 

“Joohyun-ssi, I’m sorry.” The blue blood sudden apology made the woman who was covering her eyes now stare at the very apologetic pretty face that was beside her.

“Why…why are you apologizing?”

“Because I need to, I’ve manage to make your silent and calm life a living hell in a few hours you got to know me…plus…I made you not eat your breakfast…all because I visited your house.” Seungwan sighed.

“Yah…it’s not a bother…also…I told you it’s my fault too…I came with those reporters not knowing or even asking, what they needed from me…and now….those people will tear you up more…without knowing the truth that you just save me from those pesky scum of the earth trying to make money off your life.” Joohyun pushes her not to feel sorry for her with her remark.

Which made the Princess feel more sorry for creating this huge mess on Joohyun and her family’s quiet life.

“Don’t worry about that, my Chief Of Staff, Bada unnie is taking care of everything…” Seungwan fixes the hair strands on Joohyun’s face that kept falling and blocking her beautiful view of her.

“Right now…let’s have lunch.” She announces to the ordinary beautiful lady.

ARCHER’S EATERY, DINING AREA

Joohyun entered the dining area that didn’t have any people at all during this morning hour, the Princess told her to wait for her here, as she spoke with the owner of the resto for a while.

From the looks of the dining area, is seems so weird but at the same time really fancy, the woman who was used to be the one serving in these kind of places was now about to eat here. Joohyun walks to the frames that was hanging on the wall. She saw people holding a bow and an arrow…and was deducing that this place is for Archers or people who are enthusiast of the sport.

She saw a younger photo of the Princess herself, holding the same equipment as if she was practicing her skills…her tempted eyes suddenly stayed at the lower part of the pink crop top the beautiful Princess that was not covering…her toned abs…Joohyun realize she was not staring at it with respect but…with such sinful feelings so she punishes herself by gently slapping herself to get back on her senses.

As she now regains her nice demeanor, she remembered that time Princess Seungwan was able to bagged the silver medal in the London Olympics.

The photo of the Princess.

It was the much anticipated gold match of this very well-known person in South Korea and the world, she was washing the plates and other utensils in the restaurant she was part-timing for, when the noises of her coworkers startled her, they stop serving and cleaning for the final battle of the Princess, her coworkers were not just watching it for fun…it was for pride as well for Princess Seungwan was carrying the nation on her shoulders as she duke it out with the Chinese archer, they were shouting and even jumping as the people who betted for Her Royal Highness whined at the infamous “final zero”, she would make in the tiebreaker with the Chinese archer.

“I miss those abs, they’re just flabs now.” A familiar voice tells the black haired girl who spaced out.

“S-Seugwan! That really startled me!” Joohyun shout that made Seungwan shocked too.

“O-Oh…I’m sorry, by the way the paparazzis have already left your residence and your sister and mother are fine.” Seungwan bowed to her.

“Thank you.” Joohyun smiled.

As she finishes bowing tho, it got awkward and silent again, thankfully the waiter walks in with their food.

“M-ma’am your food is ready.” The nervous waiter now brings the food to them.

“Shall we take a seat?” A question asks by Seungwan to her beautiful guest.

“Oh…well, where do we sit then?” Joohyun keeps turning around to check for an available chair and table.

“Anywhere you want, I know the owner of this resto so he allowed us to have the diner of ourselves today.” The princess smiled.

“Ohh…well where do you wanna sit then…Princess?” Her addressing the princess with something formal made Seungwan felt a bit sad, but decides not to further talk about the topic anymore and brushes it off with a smile.

“Let’s just sit here by the garden view?” She points by the beautiful garden window view.

“Are you sure? People might see.” Full of concern Joohyun now replied.

“Don’t worry, this is one of those hole in the wall restos, besides I told you my staff will take care of it, just worry about your stomach which I will take care of today.” Unaware Seungwan gently taps the younger woman’s stomach.

Joohyun just stared at her and finally she realizes yet again how she made the moment so awkward.

“I- Joohyun- I-“

“Let’s eat!” Joohyun who was so red again now runs to the table to finally eat her meal.

ARCHER’S EATERY, DINING AREA

Seungwan asked the staff to prepare all the kind of meals available, fried chicken, tteokbokkie, fries, kimchi rice, fish fillet and their famous cheese burgers, but she found her new beautiful acquaintance only eating the tteobokkie with so much gusto and got to her own world that it was making the Princess already full.

“P-Princess, if we don’t finish all of this food, can I bring it back home to my mom and sister?” Joohyun asks excitedly.

“I can just order a new one for them, don’t worry about it.” Seungwan smiled.

“Yahhh, don’t waste food! You don’t realize how it takes to prepare food like this! We must save food!” The unintentional lecture of Joohyun Bae to the Princess earned a genuine smile on the woman’s face.

“Okay, as you wish then…thank you for correcting me.” She says to the younger woman.

“I-I’m not correcting you princess, also I-…I’m sorry…I’m being an to you again aren’t I?” Apologetic Joohyun now expressed.

The Princess just shakes her head at the woman concerned about her.

“No…I’m really happy that you are informing me of things…like this…I have to be honest…I’m out of touch…and you’re right, we must save food, especially when other people can’t even afford to eat 3x times a day.” She nodded to Joohyun so cutely.

As the two began being more comfortable with each other, and spend a few minutes of just giggling and talking about things in life, Joohyun notices that the older young woman was just staring at her and now raises her eyebrow as she swallowed the 4th rice cake she was chewing.

“Aren’t you gonna eat Princess?” She asks with a pout and concern.

“Do you like that?”

“What’s that?”

“That, tteokbokkie, they said it’s one of their new hits in their menu right now…that’s why I ordered it…but I kinda don’t think it taste good.”

“Why? You don’t like the taste?”

“No not really, ironically I’ve never tasted tteokbokkie all my life…I just don’t like it…for some odd reason.” A very distrusting Seungwan frowns.

A small hand now takes one of the untouched spoon and scoops a rice cake dipped in orange sauce and hands it too Seungwan.

“Go try.” Joohyun tells her.

“Wh-What? I just told you I don’t like itttt.” Seungwan frowns again.

“You don’t even know if it taste good or not, you judge it by how it looks like…isn’t that unfair?” She of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter