Chapter 3

21st Century Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 3:

Dojeon
(Challenge) 
 

AIRPLANE, PASSENGERS’ SEATS

A light brown skinned beautiful young woman plops on her window passenger seat, she takes a big exhale and people were entering the first class area she was occupying alone a few seconds ago.

“Mommy can you open this gummy bear for me?” A little boy by the left aisle asks his mother.

The beautiful woman smiled and looks at the little boy eating his gummy bears as if she reminisces about something.

Her staring was too long that the boy now turns to her.

“Miss would you like some gummy bear?” He asks the beautiful woman staring at him.

“Oh no, I’m sorry…thanks though.” She smiled at the boy.

The mother of the little boy sees this interaction and can’t help but gasp at seeing the beautiful woman, for it was, Jennie Kim, a famous former equestrian and 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist, talking to her little boy.

“Um…sorry is my son bothering you ma’am?” The mother now bows to her from her seat.

“No! No! I was the one who was bothering your son, ma’am, it’s fine, I’m sorry.” Jennie now bows to them and turns her head to her window.

As she waited for the other passengers to enter, she started to stare again at her window…she wanted to close the curtain but now was hesitating.

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

-7 YEARS AGO-

JENNIE KIM’S CONDO, LIVING ROOM 

A small thin woman walks into the messy living room, it was 9am, and she was already feeling the stress of being the secretary of one of the famous athlete in South Korea.

“Aigoo, that girl reallyyyyy.” She picks up the boots that was on the floor and the other stuff her young boss have tossed around the large living room.

JENNIE KIM’S CONDO, BEDROOM

The same woman now stood by the bed of the girl she was working for, under the white bedcover she can hear Jennie snoring from inside.

She forces to uncover the bed, and sees the 18 year old girl unbothered and sleeping, Sandara, the woman, now opens the hot paper bag she was carrying that had freshly baked breads and now uses the croissant to wave back and forth on the girl’s nose.

The secretary thought it was not working but sees Jennie wiggling her nose to sniff, and finally as Sandara was about to pull away with her strawberry croissant, her young boss now took her hand and bit the croissant with .

“Morning, Jennie.” The older woman now sighs at her.

Jennie enthusiastically jumps on her bed to sit as she ate her croissant and smiled at Sandara, who now goes to her dresser and took the liberty to choose the clothes for the girl.

“After you eat that croissant, take a quick shower, your dad is waiting for you in London.” The secretary tells her.

“Chill unnie, I still have 3 hours before my flight.” Jennie now tells her with a laughter.

“Yahhh, don’t chill unnie me, you don’t have 3 hours…it’s 2 hours, you know you still have to fall in line do those stuff in the airport, plus there is quite heavy traffic right now due to some rally after that ist old king said some stuff on the television yesterday…lastly, you know how scary your dad is!” Sandara now gets chills on her spine as she remembered Jennie’s very strict father.

Jennie just laughs at seeing her secretary getting stressed for her, and kept chewing the croissant happily.

ROSE PALACE, THE KING’S OFFICE

A small young woman entered The King’s office, she was so nervous as she bowed to the serious King.

“Grandpa.” She smiled and now wanted to hug The King but the old man himself stops her with his hand.

“Seungwan, you know I am only agreeing to this since we made a deal didn’t we?” The cold King now stared coldly at his own heir.

The Princess now nodded respectfully and smiled.

“Yes, Grandpa, I know…thank you for agreeing.” She replied.

The King still had a serious face and now turns around as he stared at his big bright window that overlooked the whole Rose Palace’s flower gardens.

“And if you fail…you know you have to follow ALL I ask you to do as the future Queen of this country…since you can’t spend your youth dilly dallying.” The old man says it such a commanding tone that it made the young woman swallow in fear.

“Y-Yes…Your Majesty.” Seungwan musters to say.  

INCHEON AIRPORT, TERMINAL

The Princess was wearing a white long blouse that kept being fixed by her Chief of Staff, Bada, even if there wasn’t anything that needed to be fix. She was smiling at Bada who kept muttering things to her, and finally decides to tap her chief of staff herself.

“Unnieeeee, I said I’m fine.”

“I know, I know Your Royal Highness, but make sure you take your anxiety pills, if you feel like your gonna hyperventilate inside the plane…or you know what just call me! I can tell the airplane company itself to suspend the flight! After all they cannot force The Princess of South Korea to fly, if she doesn’t want to!” Bada now says with such dedication.

“I said I’m fine…thank you so much for taking care of me, beside we need to really say our farewells now, our bodyguards won’t be able to hold long the paparazzi outside.” Selfless Princess, Seungwan, now was even worrying for her bodyguards who were trying their best to make sure no photographers disrupt her first solo flight.

Seungwan had a fear of flying since the death of her parents in their private jet, but the 20 years old Princess finally decided, since she was also taking a gamble with her old grandfather and King in this travel she insisted flying solo…she wanted to face and conquer all her fears. So Seungwan decided to board on this plane by herself, for the first time in her life.

“Okay, but remember, if any..just any…thing…will bother you…if you need some help, I’m just one call away…or do you want me to fly as well too? I can book a flight now, and might be able to meet you in a few hours there when you land…Your Royal Highness?” The worried maternal Chief of Staff now tells her.

“Unniee, I told you, the Olympic Committee already gave me my own suit, plus they said I’ll have five bodyguards outside… so I think I really did pissed off those other athletes already with the special treatment I am having…in short no need to worry okay?” The Princess now uses her two index fingers to force a smile on Bada.

“Fine…I just wished…His Majesty…was more supportive of you…he knows this is your passion…and yet…he’s acting like…he doesn’t care…I’m sorry Your Royal Highness...for saying that…I’m no position to criticize the King…if this were the old times, my tongue would have been pulled out as punishment…but I just…you only have each other and the least he can do is be more supportive of you.” Bada sighs.

“The King’s…supportive…in his own way…I guess…you can’t really force him to be vocal and happy in what I want to pursue, since I am his heir, and the Future Queen and Ruler of South Korea. Number 15 in the World Ranking in Archery on my resume doesn’t really make me a qualified leader of a nation.” Seungwan now laughs.

Her laughter was full of sarcasm, as if she knew deep down, it was not really ideal for the future leader of South Korea to have this kind of passion on something not related to his or her duties, and basically her grandfather allowing her to join the London Olympics she qualified for, is just like throwing a dog a bone…before she finally takes seriously her real job, as the future ruler of South Korea.

“Anyways! I have really have to go now unnie! I’ll call you once the plane takes off!” The Princess now shows a smile that makes her Chief of Staff finally smile too.

The two women share a hug, and finally after some more quick talk, The Princess waved goodbye to Bada and the other staff of her team, and made her way to her plane.

On the other end of the terminal, two women as well are making…er…running…as Chill Jennie is being dragged by her super stressed secretary, Sandara to her flight.

“Unnie, slow down…I’m sure we still have 10-15 minutes.” Jennie now whines.

“Oh no we don’t! If you don’t get your in that plane, it’s my that’s going to be skinned by your dad, so hurry!” Sandara shouts.

AIRPLANE, PASSENGERS’ SEATS

Seungwan sits on the specific aisle seat she chose, she was a bit nervous and now kept looking to her right and left as if that will ease her tension in riding a plane alone for the first time. She closes the curtain of the airplane’s window seat next to her. The Princess was really nervous, and now deeply exhales, it was quite surprising to see how packed the 1st class area is.  

Good thing since people in the first class seems to have not mind that the Princess of the South Korea was inside the plane, and it made Seungwan a bit relax, but as she suddenly thought of the plane flying…taking off…she gets nervous again so she makes another deep exhale to relax herself.

Seungwan gets startled as another young woman, didn’t even excuse herself and now sat next to her, the young woman was in a simple white shirt, and loose dirty green jeans.

The Princess, now decides this woman was not her concern and was returning to her breathing exercises, but the woman next to her was making a lot of noises. Her gum chewing, her red stress ball that she kept squeezing with her left hand, and her continuous flipping of the pamphlet she was reading, The Princess was feeling a bit annoyed now, on top of her nerves.

Her annoyance further worsens when she sees the woman opening the curtain.

“Um…miss can you please close the curtain?” Seungwan asks.

The woman stares at The Princess, she even takes off her sunglasses and now puts them onto the top of her head, she kept chewing loudly the gum inside , and now finally spoke at The Princess who was waiting for her response.

“No I can’t.” She tells The Princess, and went back to her gum, stress ball and pamphlet.   


The two women who didn't know each other having an epic stare down.

Seungwan decided that this rude woman was not something she should focus on, and just thought of the pills in her bag, she took one of the pills and opens the water bottle next to her to drink, when a little girl who jumped into her side made her spill the water on herself, and dropped her pill.

“Unnie! You’re the famous equestrian right! Can I please take a photo with you!” The innocent young girl shouts to Jennie.

“Oh, hey…” She greets the child, but sees the mess it created as well on the white long blouse wearing woman next to her, who was wiping herself with some tissue.

“Jeez! Areum come here! I’m sorry ma’am for my daughter!...Oh my God! Your Royal Highness! I’m really sorry!” A young rich mother who was dress in black dress and rosy white pearl earrings now apologize to Jennie and The Princess of South Korea.

The people on board now were staring at Seungwan and Jennie, since they finally realize the smaller woman was from the Royal Family and Future Queen of the Southern nation.

“It’s okay, it’s okay, it’s fine ma’am…I was just startled little Areum didn’t do anything wrong.” Seungwan smiled at the child.

“Still…” The young mother worried.

“Ms. Jennie can I take the photo now with you?” The innocent child now asks Jennie again.

“Areum…apologize to this lady first, you made her wet herself.” The way Jennie constructed her words made it like Seungwan pissed on herself.

The Princess now laughs awkwardly.

“I-I didn’t wet…myself folks…water bottle…water bottle….hahahaha…” Seungwan waves the water bottle to the unconvinced (?) passengers.

“I’m sorry miss.” Little Areum now apologize to Seungwan.

The Princess finally smiled and gently pinches the little girl.

“It’s fine…thank you for apologizing Areum.” The Princess replied.

“Folks please make sure you are on your seats already, our plane will take off in five minutes.” The head stewardess announces on the speakers.

“Areum let’s just take that photo later okay?” Jennie smiled and now tells the little girl who nods and now goes with her mother to their seats.

Seungwan who now buckled her seat, and was breathing heavily as she closed her eyes, made the former rude woman now stare in concern to her.

“I’m sorry Princess…here I closed the curtain already…also want more tissue?” Jennie whispers.

Seungwan just shakes her head at her and went back to her breathing exercises.

“Um…Princess if you want I have some extra jeans here, so you can change your pants.” She tries to help her again.

Her eyes didn’t leave the panic ridden woman, since she really wanted to make it up for her, and kept waiting for Seungwan’s response.

“I-I’m sorry, I really…I have fear of flying…and now…I…I’m panicking…thank you though…” Seungwan’s shaky voice made Jennie worry more.

She was not familiar with The Princess, but EVERYONE knew about the famous end The Princess’ father and mother who met their fate in the hands of their own private jet, so it was understandable if this woman had a fear of flying, and Jennie now wanted to ease that fear at least, for almost ruining this woman’s day.

“Hold on, I think I saw your pill fall next to me.” Jennie crouches to check below her seat.

The captain of the plane now was making his announcement, as the flight attendants were checking on the passengers, one flight attendant now approaches Seungwan and Jennie.

“Ma’am? Please sit properly and buckle your belt we will take off any minute now.” The stewardess tells Jennie.

“But-“

“It’s fine, just take your seat…thank you for the effort.” Seungwan says with a polite smile.

The full of effort Jennie now buckled her sit, she saw The Princess’s right hand next to her shaking, Jennie didn’t even knew why she did it that day, all she remembered that it felt like Seungwan’s hand was so cold, that she wanted to make it warm so she held the right hand that was shaking next to her.

Seungwan who was busy doing her breathing exercises now stares at Jennie in her shock.

“I remembered when I was nervous on my first flight, I held hands with my dad, and somehow I forgot all the worries…terrors…fears…that was building up…so…if you want you can squeeze my hand for a while.” She smiles at the nervous woman.

The Princess only stared at her quietly, that Jennie thought she offended her and now was taking her hand away from Seungwan’s hand, but now the nervous woman herself held on to Jennie.

“I’m sorry…if I’ll end up bruising your hand.” Seungwan now pouts.

Jennie laughs, and held on tighter to her.

“It’s fine…I did just say to people you have wet yourself…so…squeeze away.” She assures the nervous Princess.

AIRPLANE, BATHROOM 

Seungwan who successfully was able to conquer her fear of flying was now looking at the pants Jennie let her borrow on the plane’s bathroom.

As she washes her hands before she exits the bathroom, she suddenly remembered the hand holding they did in their seats.

“…Squeeze away…” She remembered the assuring woman saying it to her.

It made the woman in the bathroom laugh at herself as she never thought someone saying squeeze away, will be romantic for her. Seungwan kept reminiscing by thinking about the sensation of having Jennie’s hand on her, that she didn’t realize someone was knocking on the door.

“Hey! Come on! I wanna pee!” An old woman’s whiny voice complained outside.

AIRPLANE, PASSENGER’S SEATS

Seungwan was making her way back to her seat, when she sees a handsome looking European man talking to Jennie, she looked disinterested with the guy who was obviously flirting with her…or is she playing hard to get?

The Princess didn’t really have much experience with relationships, so she didn’t really trust her body and mind reading skills in love and attraction…

“But in the first place…why do you even care?” She asks herself.

Jennie sees The Princess staring at her, not knowing that Seungwan was actually spacing out, and now waves at the woman she lend her black pants to.

The interested man was still trying to talk to Jennie but she finally politely sends him off, as she made hand gestures as she talked that signaled that the woman she was pointing to, Seungwan, was now taking a seat.

Seungwan was now taking her seat, and Jennie now began asking her questions.

“Princess! What took you so long? I have been waiting for you, how’s the pants? You look good!” Jennie smiled.

The woman adjusts herself on her seat and began speaking.

“Figured you were enjoying the company of that guy so I wanted you and him to have a moment…that’s what taking me so long…also thanks for the pants…should I just have them dry clean? By the way how can I return them to you?” She asks Jennie who seemed to have stopped listening halfway Seungwan’s sentences.

Jennie was trying not to smile at Seungwan.

“Miss?” She tries to call for her attention again.

“Hey Princess, tsk tsk, it’s too early.” Jennie runs her hands on her own hair and smiles at Seungwan.

“What’s early?”

“You being jealous, I know we held hands but…that doesn’t mean were already in a budding romance…so don’t get jealous...unless you want to start one?” The brown long haired girl giggled as she teases Seungwan.  

“Who said I was j-jealous!?” Seungwan now gets defensive.

Jennie just laughs at her.

“I was kidding, geez...here take this.” She takes The Princess’s hand and now hands Seungwan the stressball she was holding.

“What’s this?”

“Obviously a stressball, Princess...” Jennie rolls her eyes at her.

“And?” Seungwan asks.

Jennie makes a squeezing action with her own hand.

“You squeeze it, to lessen your stress…I figured you need it more than I since…you almost did really injure my hand from the tight hand holding you did.” Jennie smiled to her.

The Princess can’t help but feel touched by this sweet gesture of this beautiful stranger to her.

“I’m sorry..and thank you…Jennie right? Aren’t you that famous Equestrian who models for the exclusive line for horseback riding outfits of Chanel?” Seungwan asks.

“Yep, Jennie Kim, Equestrian for 3 years, who happens to like clothes and got Chanel as my first advertisement even before something related to my work…plus first time competing in Olympics.” She hands her to shake to Seungwan.

“Seungwan Son…” The woman didn’t know how to introduce herself to Jennie Kim and just pause as she kept shaking her hand.

Jennie somehow felt The Princess didn’t know how to introduce herself, and now filled in it for her.

“So, first of all how do I address you? I saw your wiki profile and it said you are 20 years old so you’re 2 years older than me…not like I’m stalking you…I just wanted to know some basic stuff about you since I didn’t want the plane ride to be awkward and…also I just told you that so you won’t think I have some E.S.P. where I just magically knew stuff about you and you would get more creeped out by me…which I guess by the end of this sentence…I am creeping you out now aren’t I ” The embarrassed light brown skinned woman asks.

The Princess stared at her, she didn’t understand why it was one of the first time she didn’t feel like this person was talking to her because she was The Princess…as if she was interested in knowing Seungwan and not the future Queen of South Korea.

“Seungwan unnie would be good if it’s just us Jennie-ssi…Wendy unnie too…since that’s my English name…if you see me outside…Your Royal Highness or Your Highness is what usually people should address me.” Seungwan answered.

Jennie laughs, as she realizes that they are still shaking hands.

“Okay, Your Royal Highness, but for now since it’s just us, Seungwan unnie…call me Jennie too, don’t use formalities.” Jennie winked at her.

This ignited something in Seungwan that she now let go from the handshaking, and now was getting red as Jennie acts so innocent and kept staring at her.

“So…you’re an archer right?” The younger woman now spoke.

The young archer now raises her eyebrow like she can’t believe it, the young equestrian now laughs and shows her phone again.

“Wiki info…I didn’t know The Princess, is ranked 15th worldwide…that’s an am-“

“Lame right? The Princess should just focus on her duties as the next ruler of the country, and don’t pursue something that she’s not even good at…wasting the citizens’ tax money for her useless hobby.” Seungwan now frowns as she stared at the seat in front of her.

The girl from the window seat now was observing Seungwan, she didn’t expect that she would be this transparent and would express the fact that she knew people were bashing her pursuing something she was passionate about. The older girl realizes that Jennie was staring at her, and now smiled.

“Yeah, I know…I read stuff about me too online.” She showed her phone as well.

“I was gonna say you’re amazing for someone who doesn’t even compete that much internationally, plus to maintain a 15th place rank? And now qualify for the Olympics? That’s awesome unnie…really awesome for a Princess who could have just give up her dreams in order to do her duties.” The assuring smile of Jennie flashes before Seungwan’s eyes again.

Her smile was like a metaphorical tap on her head, that what she was doing by following her dream to be an archer, was not humiliating nor embarrassing to do. That smile was not judging her, as if it understands as well her pain and sacrifice to chase her passion.

“Thank you.” Seungwan grateful reply.

“You’re gonna stay in the Olympic’s Athlete Village?” Jennie asks.

“Yeah, my grandfather…er…The King made arrangements with the British Government, and he decided it’s best for me to stay in the village plus…with some bodyguards from the Royal Army of Britain itself…you?” Seungwan shyly admits and now was the one asking her seatmate.

“I have a team, led by my dad, in London’s that’s waiting for me, since my dad is very controlling of my work, he believes I should take this seriously that he is even spending a lot of money just for my stay there…my dad is a retired equestrian as well you see unnie.” The younger woman sighs as she leaned on her side of the plane.

Seungwan was now deducing that Jennie seems to be not enjoying her sport from the hints she is getting on the tone of Jennie’s voice.

“How about you? Don’t you have a team?” Jennie now wondered.

“I do…I have a coach and assistant coach that’s waiting for me in London.” She answered.

“And? That’s al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter