Chapter 4

More Than Friends

I don't know why but I was feeling uneasy since I came back from school, Jihye's words were running on my mind. I do like him, love him, and will always want the best for him, since he was my bestest friend!
 

But, were there any other feelings that I couldn't encounter right at that time?
 

I do not like Yoona. I tried to forgive her a lot of times, but she ruined every chance that I gave her.
 

                                                                              PRESENT

"Yeon-ah, get up. You're late. Your secretary's been calling you repeatedly. It's 8:30. GET UP!!!", I rubbed my eyes and opened my mouth to curse the person who just threw me off bed in order to wake me up. The naggings were also not helping. "What the ! Don't you dare throw me off the bed the next time. You... you... , umm, .....Bacon." 
 

He looked towards me in utmost disbelief. "What did you just call me?" He said stepping closer, "Say it again baby." He was now in front of me whereas I was pinned to the wall, my back hit it and I realized 'there's no going back now '. I motioned my hands towards his chest, blocking him from coming any closer. Instead, he leaned in, "say. it. again.", and there I go slipping from his trap, on the mattress, ran to the other side, and was just about to set my foot on the ground rushing through the door towards the hall, when he caught me and made me settle on the mattress and started tickling me mercilessly. 

 

"Oh god! Bae-Baek-hyun, st-stop. Pl-plea-please."

 

"I am letting you go this time, but the next time, u call me Bacon, trust me, you will regret it so much sweetheart.

 

*gulp*
 

Now, this last sentence means a lot of things... This Bacon.. he surely needs to stop spitting out double meaning lines. Now what is this supposed to mean? Or am I overthinking? Again?
 

I shook my head to shake away all the thoughts. I glanced at my phone kept on the side table, unlocked it and saw 8 missed calls. I checked the caller id; it showed 'Secretary Seol'.
 

"Hello?"

"Good morning mam. The German clients are here, they are currently looking around the company. You are on your way, right?"

**

"Oh yeah, I am just on my way out of my apartment, will reach there soon..."

"Okay. We are waiting."
 

I rushed to the bathroom and with the speed of light, I took a bath, well I smell good, right? I should be quick, no makeup, and just wear whatever you get your hands on first. I came out of the bathroom in a robe, my clothes were already there on the bed.

Aww, thanks Baekhyun!  

"I'll make it up to you, buddy"

I just had the time to put my clothes on, buttoning the top on my way to the door, with not much time to decide on my footwear, I decided to go with wedges. 

Walked out of the apartment, outside the building, I could see his car at a distance.

"Come, you're gonna be late."

"Yup." I hopped in the car, fastened the seatbelt, and he drove straight to the company, not even bothering his speed. 

"Were you a racer or something in your previous life? Damn, that was so FAST."

"Nope, correction; fast enough to get you here in time." It was 9:16

close

"Thank you so much. I will treat you a meal. Dinner's on me tonight."

"'Kay. Have a good day."  "You too. Bye!"

I walked inside.

I already imagined them walking around the company for next half an hour, for sure, that too, without a little break. They must be taking in food too, because they just landed, straight from Germany. 

"Miss Kim So Yeon?"

I turned back in reflex, given for the resonance of the sound. 

"You're here, just in time. I see you are not that serious about this, huh?"

"No sir, I am really quite serious about this deal. It's just that my alarm dozed off, first thing in the morning. I couldn't really wake up in time. But-

I assure you I will give my 200 percent in cracking up this one. I am sure."

"We'll see. You can go in now. They must be waiting."

I bowed to show respect though I really don't like his attitude. Not because of today, as right now it was clearly my mistake, but you see, we all have our own bad experiences....

I entered the meeting room and on seeing the guests, I could feel the 'warm' vibes from the couple. Looking from a distance, it seemed that they were easy-going people and just wanted to buy stocks because of the future possible growth of the company. They gave off sweet smiles and urged me to take my seat quick. We discussed about all the terms and conditions since they were interested in buying a big part of our company's stocks. After discussing and signing all the important papers, we all stood up just when they asked me, "Please let us treat you a meal. How about dinner? You can join us in our place?" 

Ohhhh, I probably shouldn't go with any such random people, even if they are business-related people. Gosh!

"Ummm, maybe some other time, Ms. Lim. I actually have dinner plans with my friend. Sorry to turn down the offer. I hope it is available in near future." I returned the offer with smile.

"Friend? Don't you have a boyfriend, dear?"

Ugh, guys, is it really compulsory for every girl out there to date, even if it is just for once in her life. Will it be a sin if we don't? I am so done with this. 

"No mam. I don't think I am  good with dating and stuff; that's actually the last thing on my mind right now."

It's probably the last thing I want to try right now, since I haven't mov-

"Ohh sorry dear, it's just my wife's habit of butting in other people's personal affairs. Sorry, we'll take our leave then." He even glared at his wife to stop her from saying further. That's a couple. I let the topic slide with a gentle smile. 

Checking the watch, it showed 6:15. "Mam, we do have a few paperwork left regarding the increment of employees. The stuff is ready at your desk, you have to just read and sign the papers", Seol informed me.

"Okay, let's get the work started then", I stopped on m way and my heels, "wait, do one thing, get me the achiever's list too for the entrepreneurs."

"Yes mam."

"Be quick."

I reached the hallway to my office cabin, once I saw the pile of papers on my desk, I could just heave out a sigh, "let's complete it before dinner, So Yeon." I kept repeating this to myself, you know self encouragement. 

 

~~~~~~~~

"I am done. FINALLYYYY!!!" The clock showed 8:30. "Ohhh, Seol, I need to go now. I have to go somewhere. I am done with all the work." 

"Oh sure sure."

"Byeee"

"Byeeee. Goodnight."

I waved at her without even looking. I rushed to my car and reached his home in no time. 

*doorbell rang*

"Open up, Baekhyun."

The door unlocked and revealed him in an apron. "You are just in time, help me."

I went inside, took a quick shower, and I found some of my clothes in the wardrobe. Ahh, he must have brought them here. I changed into a set of my yellow t-shirt and pajamas. "Are you done? Need some help?"

"Nope. I am almost done. Let it cook by itself now." He kept the pressure cooker on flame. 

"And yeah. Who's gonna wash my shirt? You never do the laundry, huh? Come here, you spoilt little kid." 

And we started running across the living room...

.

.

.

.

.

As always, I was caught and thrown on the couch this time. "You thought you would run away from me, huh? You-"

"Yahhh, you can do it too. Friends help each other." I stated in an angry tone.

"Then why did you left when I needed you the most?" his expression suddenly changed and his tone went off. Before I could reciprocate his actions, a mischievous smirk made its way on his handsome face, and there he goes....

 

I am super tickilsh and he always uses it against me when I am angry.

 

"S-s-stop... I c-can't h-h-andle t-t" 

"Ahhh!" His tone rose and his hands slipped on either sides of my head.

 

 

Now we are a mess on the couch and he is kinda on top of me...

 

I felt like my mind stopped functioning. I don't remember for how long we stayed like that as if thousands of thoughts had crossed our minds during that brief moment. Thanks to the silence, I had a chance to look at him. 

 

He already had made my jaw drop with his handsome looks.

 

 A small face, double eyelids, straight eyebrows, fair skin, and a slim nose. 

 

I was busy taking in his features when I sensed him bend down, the thumping of my heart was well heard against my chest, his face was coming closer and closer and I could only dart my attention to his lips, whose movements by each second grew slow.  

 

I was unconsciously closing my eyes, when,

 

 I heard, 

 

"Yahhh, Baekhyun. Open up. I have been waiting here for a thousand years." 

 

Kyungsoo. 

 

We found each other's eyes, and I could hear him curse, "", he stood up and offered me his hand, as I was still lying down in the same position as of earlier.

"Are you going to stay like this?"

*snap*

I took his hand and got up too and fixed my clothes.

"Ohh, yeah.. Open up the door. Looks like he'll break it if you don't." 

He went to receive Kyungsoo while my eyes found the couch again and I remembered moments from a few minutes before. 

 

If it weren't for Kyungsoo, I would have kis---

 

"In the shower or what? What took you so long?" he kept nagging and stopped once his eyes found me standing near the couch. His eyes grew wide as if some unpure thoughts crossed his. 

He then looked at Baekhyun, who just came in, with no expression or whatsover on his face, looking at me too. 

He darted his attention on the nagging mom standing on his side, in reply to which Kyungsoo just squinted his eyes at him. 

"What? We were cooking".

 A whistle was heard, "The rice is done too, let me check." Baekhyun sprinted on his way to kitchen. 

An awkward silence filled the room. He was still standing in the hallway. Not moving an inch. "You can sit comfortably"

"Oh, yes."

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

"The dinner's ready."

After eating hefty amount of food, the only thing that next comes to my mind- Sleep.

"I am so done today."

"I will be doing the dishes", Kyungsoo offered..

"Ohh, how sweet. Thanks Kyung" I cupped both of my cheeks and made a baby pout to show how grateful I was since it was my day of doing the dishes.

 

I plopped up on the bed and closed my eyes just to hold onto the tiny bit of chances to relieve my mind from all the stressful and negative thoughts, right from the starting.

 

From the time when I realized that things never went as I wanted them to, not most of the moments were smooth and easy-going, not everyone likes me for who I am. I might be a straightforward person, often considered being rude and arrogant by people around me, but I can't change myself. 

 

I am who I am.

 

I never had a huge friend circle either in school or college, since they and me- we just not go well together.

 

From being a complete idiot by accepting his proposal that day to now, even though I never agree on the fact that he still, sometimes, crosses my mind. I don't know the reason, but the things they said, and the ego I had that time, was enough to tear apart the relationship. My collegemates always told me that this ego and attitude of mine is a real turn-off for everyone and the way I talk to people when they are emotionally stressed, though the words are sometimes correct but the straightforwardness in my tone often upsets them even more. It seems as if I am a broken person and none would want such a soul, even, around them.

 

I don't know whether they were helping me improve myself, or just pushing me down to let me drowning. Their words never instigated me to improve my shortcomings, rather, they were just proved fatal. As for me, according to my theory, we should always produce our own thoughts, don't stress over them much, just make a decison and move on, it's better than following someone else's thoughts and then regretting all your life. 

 

Taking someone's suggestion or advice is helpful sometimes, in some cases, however, just blindly following it, or letting their thoughts be your own too is not right, in the end, the only person making decison is you, so if your thoughts are yours, the chances of regret becomes low.