Chapter 3

More Than Friends

It's been one week after that awful day. Our session is coming to an end. And we will be in Grade 12 after this. Everyone is school is talking about the couple discovered last week.
 

Baek and...

 

"So Yeon, look at that. Woah, Baekhyun really makes Yoona blush like a tomato. Hehehe! I want to date too now. Yeon-ah, find me my match please."

 

"As far as I know, you had a crush on Baekhyun too. You are pretty, vocal, and you have a good heart too, you are nice to me and everyone else too. Go, try on him", I said as I uninterestedly pointed in Baekhyun's direction who was just coming in with his friends.

 

"Yah, you are being irrational. How can I ? He is already someone else's. And why are you in a bad mood today? Are you on your periods?"
 

 

"What does 'periods' have to do with every bad mood swing. No, I am not. I am just tired. Final exams are coming up. I need to study. I don't have time for such nonsense", I said pointing to all the clingy couples I could see.
 

 

I left Seorin since she was really getting on my nerves. She was one of my classmates and also current member of our English project. Since we had to discuss all the paperwork of the project too, we often accompanied each other in school. "Yeon-ah! Are you ready for the exam?" I turned around to see my Maths teacher. "Sorry, which exam? We don't have any, sir." 

 

"What do you mean? It's the practice exam that was decided yesterday. Your marks in this would be helpful for the finals."

 

"Sorry sir. When was this decided? I left at 3 yesterday, but nothing was told to me."

 

"I don't know about that."

 

"Okay sir. When is the exam today? I will appear for that", I had to say since academics are important for me. But without revision, how will I be able to? And why the heck I didn't know about this?

 

"It's after 1 hour."

 

"1 HOUR!?"

 

"Yes. You better have to be ready. The headmaster wants to see the results too." With that, he left. Instead, Seorin approached me. "Why did you left me there?", she pouted, "and why did u say that you didn't know about the test? Didn't Yoona inform you?"

 

'Yoona'?

 

"Yoona? Why would she?" "She took the responsibility yesterday to inform you about the test since after you left, she requested to change the date of the test to today. We thought she told you, so I didn't mention again."

 

"Whe-, ohh, that bit-, just a minute. I got to do something. Wait for me in the class."

 

I found her strolling around with Baekhyun. It seemed like they were having a convo, but I couldn't care less. I stomped to them and stopped in front of her. I shoved my hand in front of Baekhyun to keep his mouth shut since I knew he parted his lips open to say something, but sealed them again as he could sense my anger. 

 

I gritted my teeth. "What. Did. You. Do?" She replied innocently, "What, Yeon-ah-ya?" "You didn't tell me about the test on purpose, didn't you? You are so immature, Yoona. I thought you changed. But I think that was my biggest mistake. You are still an immature, whiny child, playing childlike tricks."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

Gosh, the way she is acting all innocent right now is making me want to throw up.

 

"Is everything okay with you, So Yeon. Do you have a fever? I don't even know what you're talking about. Baek, is she okay?"  The hand she lifted up to check on my forehead was thrown back by me, but instantly caught by him.

 

"Why are you bringing Baekhy-" 
 

"So Yeon, that's it! No more accusations, whatever happened, stay calm and tell me."
 

"She didn't tell me about the test on purpose."
 

"What? A test? That's it? Why are you shouting that much for just a test."
 

"Just a test? You know its important for me. She is still the immatu-"
 

"Not her. You are being childlike. Yeon-ah-ya, its just a test."
 

I was earlier sending glares to Yoona but now I shifted my view to him with wide eyes, all in surprise. I saw the look on his face. He was fed up. I thought, 'yeah, just a test. Why does it matter? Right? Though, what she did was wrong, it may get worse in future but I was never the type of a person to get angry on such pity things. I never did. But here I am shouting on this person who is right now grinning wide at me. Well, as if I care.'

 

"We will see. I will attend, Yoona. Even if I am not prepared. I never give up." And with that, I left them to go to the library so I could revise in the time left with me. But I couldn't concentrate on the work because my mind was preoccupied with things. 'Why did I get angry on such a thing? Am I going crazy? '

 

"EARTH TO KIM SO YEON"

 

Seorin snapped me from my thoughts. "It's time. Let's go." 

 

"Okay." 

 

We got the question paper and well it wasn't that difficult but I didn't have any idea about some of the questions. And the teachers who want me to bring full marks, compared to that, I was going to have the worst nightmare when these results would be taken to the headmaster. 

 

The time was up and we all handed our answer sheets to the teacher. Yoona started jumping excitedly as soon as we came out. "I am going to score so well this time. All thanks to So Yeon", and with that, she grinned wide at me. "I didn't do anything", I gritted my teeth in annoyance, "it's because...", she came closer to me, "I have you lucky charm", she gave me puppy eyes, gosh, she is really teasing me huh? "I promise I'll take all from you, I'll not leave you even with a pinch of your lucky charm. Now you'll see, So Yeon-ah, the tables have turned, you'll see how it feels when everything you deserve is suddenly all taken by a random person. You'll know it all", ohhhh, so now she is smirking, huh, duh, at me? Oh gosh, now that you have officially started this petty tricks of yours again, I am not going to back off until I break all your teeth. I am a blue belt in taekwondo, baby. I'll show you, now.

 

"In the beginning, I was against you because I feared for myself, and I tries protecting myself from you, but from now, there's no chance of you taking over, coz now I will be protecting my best friends from a witch like you. You just wait and watch."

 

"Woah, you got one hell of confidence, daebak! Don't you know, between friendship and a girl, the girl, here me, always wins."

 

"You're living in delusion. Moreover, I made it clear, I am not doing this to see who wins between both of us, I will do this to protect MY MAN from you", I emphasized MY and MAN clearly, so she could hear me with her ears and eyes all opened very well. 

 

"He is mine"

 

"Don't consider him as a THING which we can claim ours. He has his own feelings, and for your kind information, I. SAID. I. WILL. ING. DO ANYTHING. TO. PROTECT. HIM. FROM. A. WITCH. LIKE. YOU"

 

"Kim So Yeon, to whom are you talking like that?", Baekhyun came towards us stomping his feet hard on the ground.

 

Yoona smiled wide. I knew he heard only what I said, and none of her claims, and so I knew that talking to him right now will only tear apart our relation, that too, in front of her. I just wanted to end that topic then and there. I will talk to him later, ALONE.

 

"I don't know Baek, but I think she still hates me for what I've done earlier. I-I-I really don't know what to do to make her believe me, she thinks I don't love you, and she was telling me to stay away from you earlier" she cried in his chest, at first he was a bit hesitant, but then him, being a sweetheart I know, he gladly accepted to calm her down.

 

Well, as for me, I knew this girl would definitely not leave any chance from now on, to create boundaries between me and Baekhyun. 

 

The next day came, and I knew the 'fight' as she calls it, from her side began. She started off the first thing as- being clingy. She started being all clingy and try to make his heart flutter, she even blinked her eyelashes swiftly in front of him, of course, in her definition, to catch him off-guard.

 

Maths class was over and when I came out, I could see her, her arms linked in his as they sat in front of his friends. I smoldered with resentment, rage flowed throw me like lava, but I swallowed down my frustration when my eyes found Baekhyun. He is fascinating, forgiving, kind, funny and hell gorgeous. He is a blessing to my heart. He is sincere, loving, sweet and above all he is my sunshine. I didn't know how quick I changed my expression and for how long I was staring at my best friend when Jihye interrupted me from my dreamland, she cleared , "So... finally, huh, sweetie?" 

 

"What?" I was annoyed at the unreadable expression on her face.

 

"Finally, my cutie is realizing her feminine side. I wondered everytime how you could be friends with Baekhyun, I mean just friends. You like him, don't you? And these feelings are 'more than friends'? Baekhyun is one hell of a handsome man. He has his own charms."

 

"Duh, what the are you talking about?" I shrugged off the topic immediately, I knew I wouldn't be able to win in the end. 

 

But, I must tell you, those words of Jihye changed our life completely...