Final

Match My Tempo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you being funny?” I almost shouted 3 minutes after sitting down on my newly set adviser’s office. Our Dance Club’s new adviser, Ms. Kim.

“Do I look like I am being funny?” she asked, eyebrows knitted, right hand, index finger constantly tapping while looking, ahmmm no, glaring at me.

“Unnie, we don’t blend well. We don’t even talk with more than 5 words. It’s either we will collide, or we will not meet at all. There’s Bomi, or any other sophomore, like Namjoo, I’ve been observing her. She dances well. Just. Not. This. Girl. Unnie” emphasized my last sentence by wiggling the paper she hands me a while ago, slightly.

“Pffft. If I know…”

“What? Unnie, stop with that nonsense”

“That’s Ms. Kim. Right now, I am Miss Kim”

And that’s all! When she limits me from calling her ‘unnie’, the talk is done. I have no choice but to obey. She’s our adviser after all.

“By the way, I’ll be monitoring your practices” she smiles, tilting her head to the door, motioning my leave.

Oh, yes, hi. My name is Moon Byulyi. I’m a Senior Engineering student in this university. School year’s chosen Dance Club President. The ‘unnie’ I just talk with was Yongsun unnie. Well, she is Ms. Kim since she’s a rookie professor here. She’s actually my childhood best friend. A year older. She graduated last year and took this offer to be a part time teacher. She’s now our university’s dance club consultant. A former club president will do a good job, for sure.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I shifted awkwardly on my chair, inside our club room. I’ve been reading this ‘Annual Department Clash’ invitation for quite some time now. The annual clash consists of beauty pageant, singing contest and dance battle. This competition never bothers me in my whole college life. I’ve been competing since high school and this yearly thing is friendly. No pressure. Most importantly, my senior club members have been reminding us about this. In my freshman year, it was the year’s club president who competed. When I was second year, it was Chorong unnie and Bomi. Last year was me and Yongsun unnie who represent our club. I’ll say this again, competition never bothers me. Just now. JUST NOW!

Three knocks on the door disturb the trail of my thoughts. Opening the door slowly. A blue-haired girl revealed herself. Wearing her signature baggy pants and over-sized shirt. her ‘looks-like-there-is-nothing-inside’ backpack slung on her left shoulder together with her black striped with yellow drawing tube case. Cool, yeah. She nodded and place her bag on floor beside the armchair.

“Here” I passed her the invitation. “That’s the yearly event of the university and Ms. Kim thinks you and I would be a perfect partner” she scanned the paper effortlessly, flipped to looked at the back to see nothing. That’s a positive sign of being uninterested. “Look, I don’t know if you watched but I joined last ye-”

“No. I was watching my sister’s singing competition last year, I’m sorry” damn it. This is why we don’t get along well.

I took a deep breath and walked across the small, improvised coffee table. Calm down, Byul. She’s younger and you need her to be cooperative. Calm down. “It’s fine. I know your sister, Eunji. She’s Chorong unnie’s girlfriend” I saw a little smile on her lips. Cute but still… she’s annoying. “Anyway, we will be the College of Engineering and Architecture’s representative”

She frowned and for the first time within this whole meeting, she faced up and looked at me. for a moment before she looked away. “You know we have different dancing styles, right? We haven’t performed together. We do but as group. A duo performance will require a lot” she said, grabbing her things on the floor, ready to go. “Go ask others. We have good dancers in our club. We are a dance club, President”

What the! I swear, she always gets in my nerves. “You are not backing out without a fight, are you?”. Yup, we don’t know each other pretty well but Jung Wheein is known to be competitive. She hates losing. She hates being questioned. One more thing I admired; she will never surrender.

“When is the competition?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I didn’t realize, practicing with your co-club member would be this hard. I mean, we work good enough as a team but as a duo. It is much harder.

“That’s not my genre”

“I don’t know that song”

“I don’t like that singer”

“May be, we can have a slow music?”

“Nah, make it fast”

We are arguing for almost every day. A week had past, and we haven’t done anything. We tried every styles Ms. Kim proposed.

 

 

 

I ended up with a not-so-serious sprained wrist doing contemporary dance.

“You are so heavy!” pivoting my left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter