soft spot

Soft Spot

“So.” Xiening grins. “I’m the only one who gets to sleep in your bed?”

Yiyang scoffs. “How big do you think this bed is?”

“Someone can probably squeeze in,” Xiening says, patting the space left at the edge. Yiyang promptly stretches herself out so there’s none left.

“Admit it,” Xiening says, moving her face closer to Yiyang’s. “You have a soft spot for me.”

“Is that something I need to admit?” Yiyang says, going a bit cross-eyed from looking at Xiening from so close. She means it as in, isn’t it so obvious but Xiening seems to take it as do I have to say it.

Xiening pulls out the pout she knows Yiyang can’t resist. “Yes,” she says with a hint of a whine.

“Okay, okay, fine.” Yiyang makes a show out of rolling her eyes, but she knows they're sparkling. “I have a soft spot for you.” She points to her waist. “You always like to poke me here so I swear there's an indent now.”

“Yiyaaaaaang~” Definitely not just a hint of a whine now.

Yiyang laughs and avoids those puppy dog eyes. “Since when did you need me to ply you with reassurances?”

Xiening pouts. “Since you went around holding hands with other girls.”

Yiyang gives her an incredulous look. “First of all, it was one girl. Second of all, you have some nerve to talk to me about flirting with all you do.”

Her voice must have come out sharper than she intended, because Xiening looks at her with a doleful expression, like a puppy that just got kicked. If she had a tail, it’d be drooping.

“Yangyang, don’t be mad, I didn’t mean it like that.” Xiening’s voice becomes quieter. “And you know none of that is real. The pick-up lines and all of that.” She bats her lashes at Yiyang. “You’re the only one in my heart. Promise.”

Yiyang lets out a sigh, torn between amusement and fondness and emotions she can’t even name. Only Xiening can switch between playful and sincere like that. The worst part of it is that it actually works. Yiyang has more than just a soft spot for her; her whole being is soft for Xiening.

But surely, Xiening knows that, right?

“Xiening—”

“I’m not really jealous. I swear!” Xiening says, eyes wide and voice cracking.

“I know, and plus, you don’t have anything to be jealous about.” Yiyang’s face feels warm but she holds Xiening’s gaze. “You’re the only one too. You know that.”

Xiening smiles. “I know. I’m your weiyi[1], right?”

“Yes,” Yiyang laughs. “You’re my weiyi.”


A/N: [1] Here weiyi is 唯一 (wéiyī), which means "one and only." I apparently can't write a YiXie fic without mentioning Xiening's voice cracking or making a pun.