mark lee, son of bruce lee

Dragon Inside
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mark Lee had just woken up to the smell of míanbao’s being baked and cooked. It has been a couple of days and his father, Bruce Lee, had to make do. The thing was that Mark couldn’t remember what happened the night when the bandits attacked—he woke up with his body on a horse, his father carrying him in his arms. He remembered feeling like his whole body ached and pained and Mark wondered if he got hurt.

“You didn’t get hurt, Mark.” Bruce Lee had said. “You just got surprised and fainted.”

It did sound like him, Mark thought. Every time he was ridden with anxiety, he would feel his heart palpitate and his body shake. He could almost never control the vibrations his body would go through every time it happened.

But as bad as everything was for the refuges of Sheer, Mark knew that one day the sun would shine again and they have now moved into N-CITY, the heart of the land nation. The center of the four elemental lands of SM Nation and Mark could see the top of the Marble Palace very far away, the male gaping in awe at finally seeing it for the first time.

What was weird was that he somehow also didn’t need his glasses, Mark Lee wondering if he was hit on the right side of his head… if that made sense. Stuff like that could fix his vision, right? He found himself lost in his thoughts when his father called his name and Mark hopped out of his small bed, stretching.

Even the air smelled different in N-CITY, Mark thought, opening up the windows to take a whiff.

He turned and ran down the narrow steep stairs, Mark smiling at his father who was already in his apron. Bruce Lee chuckled when he saw his son and Mark saw how his father ran his eyes over his face, Bruce telling him that he finished the first batch.

Just yesterday, they had registered the business to one of the officials of the Royal Palace and today would be their opening. It was doing well, so to say and Mark could already see people stopping by to buy a few buns for their breakfast and Mark moved up to his father and opened his arms.

Bruce Lee leaned down to hug his son and Mark beamed.

Mark was brought up with so much love, the male never feeling like he needed anything more. Bruce then told him to grab a basket and go to the market, Mark’s eyes widening.

“I need you to go get some herbal cheese, Mark. I had a dream last night.” Bruce Lee said and Mark blinked. “The dream was that I would be able to cook up a new recipe and that would be steamed buns with herbal cheese. There is a small store by the alley—Remember Mr. Olaf?”

“The old man who stayed a few huts down from us?” Mark asked, his father nodding. “He reopened his cheese shop here?”

“Yes, Mark. Now, off you go. I want to try the recipe out before lunch time.” His father said and Mark nodded, grabbing the basket and making his way out of the place his father was renting for his business and his place to stay with his son.

Mark hummed to himself, seeing people bustle from place to place when there was a sound, Mark moving to the side to make way for the royal carriage that was rolling down the street. On top of the carriage was a parrot, red and green. It was bigger than normal parrots and Mark’s eyes sparkled when he recognized it from the many newspaper articles he would read when they reached Sheer.

“Calling all refugees, calling all refugees!” The parrot was yelling out, flapping it’s wings as rapidly to gain attention. “This is Royal Shapeshifter Jungwoo, Main Messenger of the Marble Palace.”

The parrot recited its title, the bird squawking out loud, people beginning to gather.

“All refugees from Sheer must register their business to the Marble Palace by Tuesday! By Tuesday! I repeat… By Tuesday!” Jungwoo said. “Those who fail to do so will have to answer to the court for illegal inhabitation!”

The parrot stopped talking, clearing its throat and when they thought it was over, the parrot phased and Mark’s eyes almost popped out of its sockets. Jungwoo was wearing his black outfit, the male tugging on the material before coughing.

That was the first time Mark has ever seen someone phase in front of him before. He usually thought it would be much more dramatic, but it was very subtle and smooth.

“Cool.” He whispered to himself.

“Everyone!” Jungwoo said, this time in human form. “Sorry, my bird form seems to limit my brain power. It’s not nice having a bird brain… Hahaha.”

He chuckled to himself, everyone staring at him before Jungwoo stopped laughing at his own joke.

“The eclipse is happening tomorrow.” Jungwoo said. “So, a very hard reminder that you must keep your doors, your windows and every entrance locked. Every shapeshifter must be registered in the royal archive so if you come from Sheer and know you are of that class, please contact the authorities immediately.”

Jungwoo grabbed a piece of paper, running his eyes through it before nodding. He must be finished with his announcement, Mark thought, Jungwoo giving out a satisfied grunt.

“Also, remember that nights bane will be given out tomorrow morning.” Jungwoo concluded with a wave of his hand. “Do not forget to collect them if needed. Goodbye and good luck, my lovely Nctzens!”

And with that, Jungwoo phased back into a parrot, going into a cage. The carriage continued down the streets and Mark still couldn’t contain the feeling of excited. He knew of eclipses and their effect on shapeshifters. He had read about them before.

But for some reason, every eclipse, Mark found it hard to sleep and that’s why his father always gave him nights bane. Mark wasn’t new to the concocted liquid; the male had been taking it his whole life.

“It’s normal to feel like you can’t sleep on eclipses, Mark.” Bruce Lee once told him. “Normal people get affected by these kinds of things, too. You know, sometimes I feel depressed when the Cancer moon takes over.”

Mark guessed that made sense and he would always take the nights bane and fall asleep. Some times he would wake up the next morning, still groggy. His father wouldn’t be back yet and Bruce Lee always had something to do every eclipse, Mark just guessed that it was to meditate because his father—like him, was “sensitive” to the shifting or moon and stars.

Or maybe he wanted a special kind of mushroom.

Mark never questioned him.

He shrugged, humming to himself and remembering he had a chore to do, Mark making his way down the street. He had no idea where Mr. Olaf’s shop was, Mark looking around for any signs but he knew that since Mr. Olaf just put it up, it would be nonexistent.

“Aw, man. I have to go back and ask Dad again and he’ll say I was wasting time!” Mark mumbled to himself when a soft gust of wind blew and his ears picked up on people whispering down the road, Mark’s eyebrows furrowing.

“The herbal cheese is good! You should try it, the blue shop on the left.” A woman was saying, Mark tilting his head to the side to find the person who said it. Weird, Mark thought. He never expected his hearing to be this good. He reached up to insert a finger into his ear, twisting it, his nose scrunching.

“Uh… Maybe I really got hit on the right part of my brain.” Mark concluded to himself. Only way to explain why he could see for free without his glasses and could now hear very well every time a gust of wind passed—it was like it was whispering to him. “Huh, I guess some things really do work out!”

As the male walked down the street, he realized that Mr. Olaf’s small blue shop was at the end of a deserted alley, the brick walls of the houses he passed looking very sturdy. Mark was lost in his own world, holding the basket in his hands when there was a small squeak. Mark frowned, sensing the panic in the cry for help—Mark turning around, wondering where it was coming from.

Was it just his ears playing with him?

The squeaking continued and Mark blinked, his eyes fluttering closed as he heard the whistling of the wind in his ear amplify when the squeaking became louder, Mark hearing it clearly. His eyes flew open and like instinct, his legs brought him down the street just to see a mouse stuck in a sticky mouse trap. It was on it’s back, squirming and Mark looked around to make sure there was no one around.

With that, he leaned forward and grabbed the mouse, the male slowly removing him away from the trap as it chittered. Mark slowly pressed his finger against the mouse’ back, successfully letting it go and putting it on the ground just to see it go onto it’s four feet.

Mark smiled, turning away from the mouse and was about to go on his way when he heard a voice.

“Thank you!”

Mark turned around, his eyes widening at a 6-foot-tall male smiling at him, Park Jisung dusting off his black shifter suit.

“O-Oh—”

“I would have turned into a mouse but I got scared and sometimes when I panic, it’s hard to phase away from animal form.” Park Jisung said and Mark was still frozen on the spot, trying to understand what was going on. “Hello, my name is—”

“Park Jisung. Royal Shapeshifter, the one who stole the Gem of Veliane from the bandits.” Mark mumbled, Park Jisung’s eyes sparkling at Mark’s words. “I… I read it from the news.”

“Oh!” Jisung said. “You must read the news a lot. I have never seen you around here, are you from Sheer?”

“Yes, my father and I—”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Jisung interrupted. “I get sensitive when I hear of bandits. It has been a reoccurring problem for SM Nation but I’m glad you are safe.”

“Why are you out of the Marble Palace?” Mark asked. If he remembered correctly, Royal shapeshifters hardly ever left the palace unless they had something to do. They all had respective roles and he also knew that Jisung was well looked over—he was a mouse and the shapeshifters all doted on him.

All of N-CITY, really.

“I heard of a newly opened cheese shop and so I snuck out.” He said simply, looking at the basket Mark was holding.

“You mean, Mr. Olaf’s shop of herbal cheese?” Mark blurted out, Jisung looking excited at the mention of the shop. “I was going to head there, too.”

“Oh!” Jisung exclaimed, naturally grabbing Mark’s basket and holding it. “Well, what are you waiting for? Let’s go!”

Mark followed Jisung down the alley, both of them reaching Mr. Olaf’s newly opened shop. Mr. Olaf was pale and the male greeted Mark like an old friend, Jisung’s mouth watering at the sight of cheese. Mr. Olaf stopped when he saw Jisung, the old man tilting his head at the shape shifter before giving him some wrapped up cheese.

Jisung could hardly contain his happiness, his teeth chattering and his hands trembling when the cheese was placed in the basket. Mark noticed that shapeshifters had some mannerisms that were just like their animal form. Jisung’s fingers were slightly curled and his hands were up on his chest, his movements fast and jittery. Mark had also noticed that Royal Shapeshifter Jungwoo kept moving his arms like how he would with his wings if he was a parrot.

“Oh, what a happy happy day!” Jisung said to himself, Mark chuckling at how simple his mind worked. “I have never asked you for your name.”

“Mark.” Mark replied, both of them exiting the shop. “Mark Lee. My father, Bruce Lee, opened a new steamed bun shop down Dream Street. That’s why he wanted me to buy some cheese—”

“Really?” Jisung asked. “Is it the one people keep talking about? How good the marinated pork is in the bun and… and…”

“You can come by if you want, you know. I’m sure my father can spare you some.” Mark said and Jisung nodded, the shifter walking beside Mark. “Aren’t the others going to look for you?”

“Well…” Jisung said, frowning. “They will, I think. But it’s not like it hardly ever happens. King Taeyong is so kind and I only get yelled at by the Knightmens, being Sir Jaehyun and Johnny. Sir Lucas doesn’t care.”

They have reached the shop now, Bruce Lee looking up in surprise to see a shapeshifter. Park Jisung bowed respectfully and Bruce Lee mirrored his actions. It was normal to know them, shapeshifters of different nations were often plastered over the news, their photos drawn by artists and content makers of each nation. They were widely known and recognized, Bruce Lee telling Mark and Jisung to sit down.

For today, it was okay for him to let Mark make friends, Bruce Lee thought.

He had always been lonely.

And that is how Mark and Jisung ended up sitting across of each other, Mark listening to Jisung speak about the Marble Palace.

“Tell me about the Knightsmen.” Mark said, propping his face on his hands, Jisung nodding. Bruce Lee came and laid hot and newly maid streamed buns on the table, Jisung sniffing it and grabbing one of it to take a bite, slowly chewing. “And the other shapeshifters.”

“Well, I think you would know already that Sir Jaehyun is nobleman. His family has always been alongside the Lee dynasty for the longest time. Mhmm… Sir Johnny is a bear, black or grizzly—I don’t remember. But he and Sir Lucas, who is a lion, always go with Sir Jaehyun to quests.” Jisung smiled. “And then there is Royal Shapeshifter Winwin—”

“A horse. A majestic midnight black horse and his coat shines brightly under the dim light of the moon.” Mark butted in, reciting what he read from the papers. “And there is more, is there?”

“Yes, of course. There is Royal Shapeshifter Jeno.”

“A wolf, an alpha of his pack but he stays in the Marble Palace as King Taeyong’s guard dog.”

“You seem like you know a lot.” Jisung said, breaking into a smile. “I take it you know about Royal Advisor Na Yuta?”

“Yes. He’s a Snek.” Mark answered. “He turns into a massive white snake and his scales sometimes glitter gold.”

“Very pretty, but I’m scared of him.” Jisung said simply. “You know, snakes are natural predators of mice. I know he won’t ever hurt me, but every time he’s in his snake form, I hide in my mousehole.”

“There is also the Fullsun, Haechan Lee. He’s a monkey, isn’t he? He was the one who plugged the Volcano of Lichax to stop it from erupting all over the town of Cyros. And the fox! The red fox—”

“Huang Renjun. Summoner of the soul of fire foxes.” Jisung said, nodding. “There are so many of us. Both Renjun and Haechan come from the fire nation to work for King Taeyong but they really don’t get along. If I say so myself, Renjun is very violent.”

“Isn’t everyone from the Fire Nation slightly more aggressive than the other nations?” Mark asked. “Like how Wind is very indecisive and wishy-washy, those from the Water Nation are very sensitive and emotional and those from Land tend to be very grounded but too lenient.”

“That is true, stereotypes are stereotypes, though. How was Sheer?” Jisung asked conversationally, Mark thinking back to his old home. “I heard that it’s surrounded by a stream.”

“It is.” Mark said, nodding. “And when people die, the bodies are dumped over the stream for the Black Sneks to take away. It’s a simple town, very isolated from the rest.”

“Why did you stay in Sheer, then? Why didn’t you come to N-CITY to live the N-CITY dream?”

“I don’t know.” Mark shrugged, Jisung tilting his head at Mark. “I was brought up there with my father until the bandits attacked. We sold food for a living.”

“Very good food.” Jisung said and Mark nodded when a gong sounded. Jisung’s eyes flew open and he dropped the steamed bun, Mark seeing him suddenly phase into a mouse and jumping into Mark’s arms. Jisung tucked his tail under Mark’s palm and there was rhythmic strutting from a black horse.

“ANNOUNCEMENT! Announcement! Shapeshifter on the loose! Disable your mouse traps, do not kill any mice—” Jungwoo flew through the city, the parrot announcing Park Jisung’s disappearance.

Mark’s jaw dropped opened when he saw Jung Jaehyun on a horse, Johnny and Lucas following close behind. Knightsman Jaehyun was holding a map, the male’s eyes running over the parchment when he dragged his eyes over to the small steamed bun shop.

“Oh no. They found me. They must have found out I snuck out.” Jisung squeaked, Mark covering Jisung in his palm.

“How could they have found you?” Mark asked, Sir Jaehyun going down from the horse and looking straight into the shop.

“There is this map. They call it the Map of Elas.” Jisung peeked from between Mark’s fingers. “It keeps track of the Royal Shapeshifters and…”

“Park Jisung.” Jung Jaehyun was now standing in front of Mark, who was scared to look up. Jaehyun crossed his arms across his chest and Mark could feel the mouse tremble in his hands. “You have got to stop doing this.”

Jisung squeaked, Jaehyun placing a hand on the table but it was enough for Jisung to jump out of Mark’s palm, phasing into a human with his head hanging low. Jaehyun strained his eyes on him, Johnny and Lucas standing by the entrance of the shop.

“Much apologies.” Jaehyun said to Bruce. “We’re going to be on our way now. Jisung—”

“At least let me say bye to my friend!” Jisung said, turning to Mark and grabbing his hand. “I had such a great time today, Mark. I really hope you can come and visit—”

“Mark?” Jaehyun asked, his eyes settling on Mark’s face when a flash of recognition flitted over his features. The Knightsman leaned forward, Mark forgetting to breathe at the presence of a superior when Jaehyun raised a hand, Johnny and Lucas approaching.

One look at his face.

One look, and Johnny raised an eyebrow.

“It’s him.” Lucas whispered, everyone turning to look at Mark. “Jaehyun—”

“You’re under arrest for harboring a Shapeshifter.” Jaehyun said suddenly and Mark blinked. “Take him and bring him to the Marble Palace.”

“Sir Jaehyun, there must have been a mistake.” Bruce Lee said, stepping forward to negotiate with the Knightsman when Mark felt Lucas’ and Johnny’s strong hands grab his upper arm. “He came with the boy—”

“There is nothing to worry about….” Jaehyun’s voice trailed, Bruce bowing and introducing himself. “Mr. Bruce Lee. It’s just that you both are from Sheer and may not know the ways of N-CITY.”

“But Sir Jaehyun! We all know I always leave the castle—” Jisung was saying when Johnny flashed him a glare, the boy shutting up.

“We’ll return him when we’re done with him.” Jaehyun said. “He’s in good hands, it’s just protocol so it never happens again. Haboring a Shapreshifter, a Royal one at that, leads to penalties.”

“There is no such rule!” Jisung squeaked, Lucas going to grab Jisung by the back of the neck like how a lion would do to its cub. Jisung flailed in the air, Lucas lifting the boy up with one hand, Jisung’s feet leaving the ground before moving out of the shop to bring him to the horses.

“I hope you understand, Mr. Bruce Lee.”

“Of course, of course.” Bruce said, nodding. “Well, my son is a good boy. Tell me when I can pick him up tomorrow.”

“We’ll send the messenger.” Jaehyun said, Johnny dragging Mark by the forearm. Mark was roughly pushed towards the black horse and he heard it neigh. “Up now, boy.”

And with that, Mark found himself sitting on Winwin, the black horse with Jaehyun behind him.

He was confused and he had no idea what was going on.

“Back to the Marble Palace?” Johnny asked, Jaehyun patting Winwin before the horse galloped forward. “Race you there!”

And off to the Marble Palace, they went.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taeyong was sitting in the throne room with the Royal Heads. Kun, Tae-il, Yuta and Doyoung had their eyes on a bunny. It was white, it’s ears floppy with very big feet—the bunny thumping its feet onto the group rapidly as it paced back and forth. Its ears flopped forward and it turned towards the king.

“Na Jaemin, there is nothing to be worried about.” Yuta said, crossing his arms at the white bunny. “Hare, tell him—”

But Doyoung knew whatever he said wouldn’t put Na Jaemin to ease.

“He left more than an hour ago and he ate so much cheese last night. Do you know how hard it is going to be for him to phase?” Jaemin asked, his foot tapping against the floor. The bunny looked at them. “And the amount of mouse traps in N-CITY!”

“We already sent the Knightsmen, Nana.” Tae-il said as Na Jaemin continued to ramble. “We have the map of Elas, they’ll find him in no time. Jeno, take him away.”

Tae-il said, the big black wolf bounding over to Nana and grabbing him by the back of the neck, Na Jaemin huffing before pausing.

It then wailed.

“Oh no, Park Jisung is dead!”

“Na Jaemin, what nonsense!” Doyoung snapped, the door of the throne room suddenly opening up to show the arrival of the three Knightsmen, Jaehyun with a male in hand. There was a skitter and the bunny punched the wolf, Jeno dropping it onto the ground as Na Jaemin ran towards the mouse.

“Ouch.” Jeno said, phasing into a human and rubbing his face. Taeyong raised an eyebrow at the newcomer. He looked innocent but the Royal Heads recognized him from the prophecy, Mark Lee appalled at where he was.

“Knightsmen.” Doyoung greeted, his eyes settling on Mark. “You found him.”

“Found me?” Mark squeaked, still not understanding what was going on. “U-Uh….”

Everyone was staring at him, Jeno and Na Jaemin taking their leave with the mouse following suit.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter