Kang Yeosang

No Rainbows
Please log in to read the full chapter

2.


I remembered her the most on some rainy mornings in the street of South Kensington. She would always go to the veranda and listen to the sound of the silent platters of the morning rain and the busy street.

She does it on early mornings where people survive the daily grind and have a cup of tea with a plate of scones. She'd let me sleep on her lap on afternoons cause she can't forego the next page of her book.

She was the most beautiful being I've seen. She was always graceful and have a smile that always lets go of my mischiefs. She has that typical asian beauty that catch people's eyes on a busy street. She doesn't like to wear make-ups but she carries herself elegantly that you can't seem to notice that she only has her lipstick on.

She always put on a bright smile but she's anything but that. She might smile a lot but my mother is too broken to let anyone in and when I ask her if she loves someone else, she would always reply that I'm the only one she could love till her last breath.

I feel relieved and troubled cause what I'm the one that's gone, who's going to make her smile.

She never knew but I can always hear her cry when she thought I was sleeping. It was her broken sobs that is tearing me even in my dreams.

She is a strong woman and she raise me without needing someone else and despite the absence of my father in my life she still shows me his pictures. She loved him and I wish he could do too.

My mother had gone through a lot but it's nothing compare to one morning after we arrive home from our trip from Edinburgh. We've been gone for a week and she choose to keep her phone off and just let us enjoy our short vacation.

She was just putting back my clothes when I called her after the two rings from the telephone.

She came out quickly and answer the call. But the next sound that came out from her lips is the worse one I ever heard from her.

My father died from a collision. A very fatal one.

No matter how I look at it, in my young mind I hate him the most for making my mother cry. Her memory on that day was something I can never forget.

I don't remember much of my father. I was too young to remember his features but she can and her anguish is something I could never take away. That's why I hated him.

She never went to his funeral. It was from another country and she looks floating most of the time.

I remembered a woman who stayed at our house for a while to take care of us but I was grieving for my mother's pain to notice her around.

One morning, she decided to go back to her country cause London seems too suffocating for her.

I didn't asked any question by her sudden decision cause she always knew better. I just wish she'll be healed.

We lived in Incheon for three months before the unfortunate day came.

We rode a taxi on the way home from Seoul to attend a reunion with her school mates. I haven't seen her happy in a while.

We are nearly at our house when death suddenly played a game with us.

On an empty road, a truck came out from the intersection despite the red light.

All the sounds seems to fade as the taxi went straight to it and I suddenly felt a strong body cover me before an impact cause the vehicle to turn around and clash into a concrete wall.

There is a ringing in my ears and pain on my hands. It was a bit dark but I can see some shards of glass on the floor.

Then there's silence before I heard myself breathing heavily before the ringing in my ears intensify. Mummy.

I whispered mother's name but she didn't answer. I waited a few seconds then as I listen to my surrounding, there was a distant sound of voice but then my breathing seems to be alone.

I tried to lift myself up but I can't move. The pain no longer troubles me but it feels like my heart is burning. I tried to shout in case someone is close.

"Help!" I shouted but it felt too quiet in my own ears. "Mummy."

My mother. I suddenly felt her breathing but it's too faint. "Mum. Please hold on." I told her. I can hear my voice shaking but I wanted to be strong for her even when my own heartbeat is about to kill me.

I heard a voice again and then a flash of light before everything turn dark and suffocating.

——————————

 

It felt like I just gone up to a surface after trying to break through a current from below.

It feels bright and calm but it also feels heavy, and there was a beeping sound that I can hear in movies and there's putrid smell that was sanitised but still existing beneath the surface.

"Why is he frowning." I hear a voice says. "Is he awake?"

Someone answered but the voice sounds far away.

"His finger just moved mum and he seems to be dreaming." The person say, "Can he hear us."

"Stay away, Youngie. Yeosang is sleeping."

I heard them before I was succumbed to darkness again.

The next time felt conscious on my surroundings it was darker and I slowly felt my fingers before I carefully open my open my eyes.

I tried to raise my hands and I felt relief when it seems just fine, then an alarm went off and within seconds a set of people dress in white came rushing to me.

One of them put a small light on my eyes and ask me to follow it and hoped I did.

A woman who adjusted my IV, pull down her mask and smiled at me. "Welcome back."

Then I felt like I was hit by tons of bricks when I remembered why I was here.

Mommy.

Suddenly there's a rapid beeping and one of them ask me to calm down but my head feels like it's going to explode.

Mommy. Where are you.

"His heartbeat is rising rapidly. Yeosang calm down. It's going to be okay.” A male voice assured me but I just keep shaking. Why no one is gettinv mother. “Please, let him rest more. The kid has gon' through a lot." He added and before I can utter a word, and everything felt peaceful again.

I felt a warm cloth on my skin and a sound of a telly.

I slowly open my eyes and saw a lady hovering on my face with a thick glasses on. She's wearing a silky blouse to be a nurse.

"Yeosang?" She said when I slowly open my eyes. "There you are."

She was smiling at me and it made me want to see her.

"Mummy?" I asked her.

Her smile dropped and I don't need any more explanation.

"How long?" I asked her, "How long I've been asleep?"

But she just frown at me and then she smiled. "English?"

And my mind went off, "Oh." I said before I heard the door open and two doctors went in.

She said something to the man before he smiled at me and nodded to the lady.

"You can't understand Korean?"

I shook my head.

"I see." He smiled, "I'm Dr. Song, I'm your doctor since you're brought here."

"How long?"

"Three days." He said. "You woke up yesterday but you had an episode so we have to let you sleep again." He checked his board and did an inspection on my body. “Your bruises is healed and we already assigned a therapist for you that'll monitor you for the next three days.”

I breathe deeply before looking around.

"My mommy." I paused and felt a rush of pain in my heart, "She didn't made it." Saying them feels like thousand of bullets. "Did she."

He nodded and I noticed that he's trying his best not to sympathize. "She's in comatose but you have to rest for a few more days before we let you see her."

I nodded and felt a tear slid down my cheeks. I felt a cloth dabbing my face before I burst out crying.

I don't how much noise I'm making, all I know is there's a frustration in my heart but at the same time I'm happy but not at peace cause somewhere in this wretched place my mom is facing her own battles.

—————————

 

I was just discharged from the hospital after three days. With the help of a nurse I was able to see my mom.

She was in a private room in an ICU. Even before I walk inside her room, I know it wouldn't be good picture. A nurse push my wheelchair inside after putting my protective gear.

She was breathing through a machine. There is a big tube attached to and a smaller one attached to her nose. She has a thick bandage on her head and some parts of her arms are covered in some too. It's been a week since the accident but she hasn't woken up yet but her bruises are healing.

"Why is she like this." I asked the nurse.

She sat in front of me and smiled through her mask, "She is fighting quite well for you." She said, "We are doing our best to save her so you have to be strong for her. Okay?"

I nodded and asked her to leave me for a moment. She nodded and went out.

I went beside her bed and reach her hand. For the second time in

Please log in to read the full chapter