Two

Bodyguard

"Omo," Haeun rubbed her belly in satisfaction and leaned back onto the chair. She just had her favorite food of all time; tteokbokki. It wasn't just an ordinary tteokbokki, but it was ahjumma's homemade tteokbokki.  She'd never eat anyone else's because she knew it wouldn't be as good as hers. "Thanks ahjumma!" she voiced out towards the kitchen.  

The girl glanced over to her left and saw the boy standing a few feet away from her. She was still in disbelief at the fact that he was her new bodyguard. Haeun wasn't sure if he can even do anything to protect himself, let alone protect her.  If anything, the boy looked more like a high school prom date.

She held the urge to roll her eyes and stood up. She started walking towards the stairs, and Jeno immediately followed her.

"I think you should just stay by the door this time," she said. 

"Unless you're going to your bedroom or the bathroom, I'll have to stay with you." Jeno replied sternly.

 "How annoying." Haeun thought and sighed. "Whatever."

She stopped at the end of the corridor and stood in front of the elevator. The girl was too lazy to climb up more stairs. Haeun pressed the arrow button, and the door instantly opened with a ding. She stepped in, and just when she was about to press the button on the panel, Jeno blocked her arm.

"Which floor?"

Haeun frowned as she looked at the boy. "I can do it myself." she pressed the button to the 4th floor, which was the rooftop.

"Okay." Jeno stood back. 

There was a slight tension of awkwardness in the atmosphere. Haeun could see him in the corner of her eye standing straight without any expressions. He wasn't intimidating like any of her old guards. Having a bodyguard as young as Jeno felt weird.

As soon as the door opened, the gentle breeze shot through her skin. It was nearing the end of the fall, and it was starting to get cold. Haeun crossed her arms and walked towards the deck. The rooftop was her favorite place in the house to wind down aside from her room. 

She then took something out of her cardigan pocket. It was a small pack of cigarettes and a lighter. She slipped one out and quickly lit it up, her other hand was shielding the flame from the strong wind. 

She pressed the end to her lips, then exhaled. "I don't care if you tell him. I'm also not quitting," Haeun said, puffing out. 

"I'm not telling. I'm also not going to ask you to quit. You're allowed to do whatever you please." the boy replied without looking at her direction. "I'm your bodyguard, not your babysitter." 

Caught off guard by his response, Haeun's eyes widened slightly. "Y-ya, I didn't say you're my babysitter." 

Jeno shrugged as his gaze met hers. Haeun could feel her cheeks heating up because of embarrassment. That came out of nowhere, and she definitely wasn't expecting that. 

Haeun let out a scoff and puffed out. She then flicked the spent ashes into the ground. "So, what made you want to become my bodyguard?"

"I enjoy the job," he answered. His gaze didn't meet hers. 

Her eyebrows lifted. "Just so you know, I'm not like your other clients. I don't take orders, especially from the old man downstairs." 

"Sure thing. As I said before, I won't prevent you from doing whatever you want. I'm only here to guard you." Jeno replied calmly.

Haeun's lips pursed. "Those people before you lasted less than two weeks. Are you sure you can handle it?" she smirked.

"Don't worry, I've seen worse."

The girl frowned. She wasn't sure how to react to the boy's statement. A scoff escaped Haeun's lips as she threw the cigarette on the ground. 

"Whatever. I'm going to bed." she quickly walked past him. 

Haeun was slightly pissed. There's something about the boy that made her curious. Unlike the others, he seemed like an unsolved puzzle and she just couldn't figure him out.