Chapter 2

Scorned

Yixing arranged for Liying to meet him at one of his friend’s restaurant for dinner. He was happy that Liying did not refuse. It felt necessary to talk to her. Yixing did not like how he treated her. He was a young man forced to marry someone he did not love so he threw a quiet tantrum by treating her indifferently.

It went by quite quickly when night came. Yixing arrived late when he arranged to be at the dinner at 7:30 pm, he ends up coming in at 8:30 pm. He thought Liying would be mad but she seemed calm. Actually, she seems indifferent, almost as if she did not care if he did not come. Perhaps the way he treated her might have left a few scars within her.

Even the conversation during dinner seems quiet, Liying congratulated him on his 2nd marriage to Bingyan. Then they continued eating and Yixing decided to bring up what has been bothering him.

Yixing felt it might be easier if he held Liying’s hand, so he did. “Liying…I’m sorry for how I treated you.”

Liying said nothing. Her face is still indifferent.

“I should have made our marriage work…instead I acted like a child and took my frustration at not getting what I want on you.”

Yixing hoped Liying would say anything but she remained quiet.

“I’m also sorry for those rumors you heard…the rumors of you being cursed.”

Liying finally showed a reaction and pulled her hand away from Yixing.

Her indifferent face became a face of anger. With a hand over , she scoffed.

“Cursed? You actually believe that’s true?”

Yixing became worried when Liying got up and grabbed her purse.

“Liying, calm down. I wasn’t trying to upset you. I just want to talk about that—”

“Do you want to know why I chose to divorce you? The answer is simple. I wanted to find the wretched being who ruined my life.”

Yixing stared in shock at Liying’s words. He always believes the divorce is due to how they couldn’t work things out. As Liying continued ranting, Yixing felt something within him. It was a feeling that worried him greatly. He realized somewhere deep down he knew what Liying is going to say but he wanted to confirm it first.

“You found the person?”

“By the look of your face, you figured it out, didn’t you?” Liying scoffed, grabbing something from her purse. “The answer is obvious because that person loves you so much to be willing to do anything for you.”

Liying took out a box with a white bow. Yixing saw a small card inserted in the ribbon that reads “Congratulations!”. Liying, not too forcibly, placed the box in Yixing’s hand.

“I’m sorry,” Yixing said. “I’m sorry she did that to you.”

“Do you want to know something funny? I didn’t want to marry you but I was told I needed to do it to honor my father’s promise to your father.”

Yixing felt speechless.

“Because we used to be husband and wife, I won’t do anything. I just hope you try not to become her doll.”

----------

Bingyan attempted to stay calm after getting out of the attic. “Where is it? Where is it?”

She found one doll but she couldn’t find the other. It was an idiotic move of her to put them in separate locations. When she first made them, she thought it would be risky if she placed them together. Now she regrets that she didn’t do that.

Bingyan headed back to the bedroom. As soon as she got inside, she let out a gasp. On the table was the missing voodoo doll she has been searching for. The doll had Yixing’s name on it. What concerned and scared Bingyan is that the doll is in a box.

“Did you love me that much that you resort to this to get me?” Yixing said as he gestured to the doll. “You wanted me so much that you made Liying miserable?”

Bingyan didn’t see Yixing in the darkened room, she was more focused on the doll. Hearing his voice and his questions, she now knows she screwed up big time.

“Answer me, Bingyan.”

“Yes. Yes, I did,” Bingyan replied as her voice broke. “I thought I lost you when that marriage happen. So I resorted to this to take you back from her.”

Bingyan closed her eyes, she expected Yixing to slap her. But he didn’t. Instead, he enveloped her in his arms.

“Yixing…Do you love her? Or do you…love me? Answer me.”

“There’s no need to ask me that,” Yixing took a deep breath as he embraced her tighter. “Just promise me that this will stop.”

----------

After the dinner with Yixing, Liying arrived home and stayed in her room. In a darkened room with her only light being a lamp, Liying was hard at work. Liying let out a breath of exhaustion. Her little project consists of a box similar to the one she gave to Yixing. In the box were two voodoo dolls. One had Yixing’s name and the other had Bingyan’s name.

Picking up Bingyan’s doll, Liying smiled. Her smile seems delighted but Liying seems to be feeling unhappy.

“You started this, Bingyan. Don’t blame me for this.”