Chapter 1

Scorned

Yixing felt happiness from within his heart as he cannot stop staring at Bingyan. From their childhood, he always has special feelings for her and they promised to marry each other one day. Except he broke the promise first when he was told to marry Zhao Liying, the daughter of his father’s sworn brother. Yixing wanted to refuse but he couldn’t disobey his parents. So he reluctantly married someone he didn’t love while the one he loved became heartbroken.

The funny thing about his marriage with Liying is it didn’t last long. Liying is a nice girl who tries her best but she couldn’t do anything when Yixing kept his distance from her. There was one conversation he overheard from the maids that made him feel bad for Liying.

“The madam scolded her again,” said Xiaoli, a maid with short curls and glasses. “She wanted to know why our madam isn’t with child yet.”

Xiaomei, a maid with long silky black hair, scoffed. “How is that our madam’s fault? The madam should be asking her son that not our madam.”

The two maids were cleaning near his study while they were not too loud, Yixing could hear them. He frowned at hearing Xiaomei scolding him.

“I didn’t want to marry her so it’s not my fault!” Yixing thought within his head.

Another maid named Xiaoyu with a braided ponytail sighed. “Our poor madam. She doesn’t deserve this. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone put a curse on her just to make her suffer.”

“Cursed?” Xiaoli questioned in a frightened tone. “You think our madam got cursed?”

“I doubt our madam got cursed,” Xiaomei, skeptically said. “If she was cursed, wouldn’t we have found one of that evil, creepy looking toys?”

“Toys? You mean a voodoo doll?”

“Yes, that thing.”

“Xiaomei makes a good point. We cleaned everywhere and we didn’t see any suspicious-looking voodoo doll.”

“Voodoo doll?” Yixing muttered as he slowly sneaked away.

“Husband. Husband,” Bingyan called out, waving her hand in front of Yixing’s face. “Yixing?”

Yixing broke out of his thoughts and look at Bingyan with a sheepish smile.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, there’s nothing wrong. I just got lost in my thoughts.”

“Were you thinking about her?” Bingyan smiled but her smile looks dejected. “Your first wife? I notice she didn’t come to our wedding.”

Yixing comforted Bingyan by embracing her. “I didn’t mean to think of her.”

While he may have felt bad for what happen with Liying, he wanted to move on. Somewhere in the back of his head, he did wonder if Liying was cursed. When she was still around, weird things did happen. Then when she asked for a divorce, the weird things stop. It was as if something or someone followed Liying and the moment she left she took it with her.

As he and Bingyan laid in bed together, Yixing thought it might be a good idea to visit Liying. He chose to not tell Bingyan so she won’t be upset if she knows what he’s doing.

----------

Bingyan opened her eyes with a smile on her face. She carefully got out of the bed, making sure Yixing doesn’t get up from her moving around. With her eyes on her sleeping husband, Bingyan reached her hand under the bed trying to grasp onto something. She nearly gasped aloud when she made contact with the item she found.

It was a voodoo doll…with Liying’s name on it.