The Melody Of A Flute

The Melody Of A Flute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyoung carefully kicked the back door of the shop open with his foot as he had his hands full of cardboard from their latest delivery boxes. He turned the corner towards the bins and immediately dropped all the cardboard. "Oh. Oh no." Doyoung stuttered as he stepped two steps backwards before running back inside. "Hyung!~" He shrieked loudly as Donghyun appeared from behind the counter with a confused face.

"What's wrong?" He questioned Doyoung as he stopped in front of him and panted heavily from his quick dash back into the shop.

"There's a girl." Doyoung told him as Donghyun scanned the store and frowned, "there's a girl outside the back. I don't know if she's alive, dead, I just ran back inside."

 

Donghyun immediately began laughing and Doyoung looked at him with wide eyes and a troubled expression on his face, "oh you're not joking?" Donghyun asked him as Doyoung repeatedly shook his head. "Ok ok, show me" Donghyun said as he followed Doyoung back outside.

They both turned the corner and Donghyun scoffed loudly after seeing no girl. Doyoung frowned as he began looking around and sighed loudly. "She was here! I swear!" Doyoung whined as Donghyun shook his head in disbelief.

After they looked around the back and side of the shop, Donghyun and Doyoung both began to walk back inside the shop when Doyoung let out a loud shriek. Donghyun jumped slightly as Doyoung clung onto his side.

 

They stood face to face with a girl, dressed in white, pale skin and long black hair covering her face. "Aish!" Doyoung cried out as Donghyun looked at her surprised. "Hello?" Doyoung called out as the girl moved slightly which made the two brothers jump and step back a few steps.

Donghyun gestured to Doyoung asking him if it was the same girl as before without talking and Doyoung nodded silently to him.

Donghyun took a deep sigh in before stepping forward slightly and Doyoung confidently stood beside him. "Can we help you?" Donghyun asked the girl as she looked up at them, they both shuddered before Doyoung showed a concerned look on his face.

 

"Oh oh oh!" Doyoung cried out as he quickly reached forward and caught the girl in his arms. "I think she's passed out" Doyoung whispered to Donghyun as Doyoung scooped the small pale girl up in his arms.

"Oh~ you're a strong man now" Donghyun joked to Doyoung as he chuckled.

"I'll take her upstairs to an empty classroom" Doyoung told Donghyun as Doyoung led the way up the stairs with the girl in his arms followed by Donghyun.

"Do we have a blanket or something, she's really cold" Doyoung asked Donghyun as he nodded and quickly disappeared to get a blanket. Doyoung placed the girl down on a sofa in the corner of the classroom and pulled a pillow underneath her head.

"Ah~ where did she come from?" Donghyun sighed as Doyoung took the blanket from him and wrapped the girl up like a burrito.

"I don't know" Doyoung sighed back as he stepped back to the side of Donghyun and they both looked at the girl with worried expressions.

 

Doyoung sat and watched the girl for next hour and the hour after that as Donghyun went back to the store on the floor below. Her appearance was a mystery to both of the brothers, they had no idea who she was or where she had come from.

"Doyoung! Can you come and help me?" Donghyun called up the stairs to him. Donghyun's calling brought Doyoung out of his trance of watching the girl, and he quickly jumped up to help his brother downstairs.

As Doyoung was helping Donghyun downstairs, the girl rolled over and fell down onto the floor. She whined to herself as she woke up and scanned the room confused.

"Where am I..?" She stuttered to herself as she sat up and her eyes darted around the room.

 

From hearing a bang on the ceiling, Doyoung quickly dashed up the stairs, missing each step in between. He flung the door open to the classroom and was faced with the girl holding a chair in the air, "what the..." He blurted out as they both frowned to each other. Donghyun ran up the stairs and appeared behind Doyoung as he raised his eyebrows surprised.

"Who are you?! What do you want?!" The girl shouted out loudly to the brothers as they looked at her completely confused and frozen.

"That's what we should be asking you, you're in our shop, we found you sleeping outside, you passed out so we brought you here." Donghyun explained to the girl as she began lowering the chair back down to the floor.

"What's your name?" Doyoung asked her as he carefully approached her, "my name is Doyoung".

 

The girl froze and repeatedly blinked blankly at Doyoung who was giving her a reassuring smile. "I don't know... I can't remember..." The girl stuttered as Donghyun frowned but Doyoung stepped towards her and smiled to her. "I can't remember my name" She whined as she crouched down, hugging her knees tightly. Doyoung followed her by crouching down in front of her, still smiling to her.

"It's ok. We'll try to remember it." He reassured her as she looked up at him with a smile before she glanced at Donghyun behind.

"My name is Donghyun, I'm his older brother" Donghyun told her as they smiled to each other.

 

~

 

As Donghyun and Doyoung were downstairs in the shop, leaving the girl to rest for longer, Doyoung turned around to find the girl stood silently at the bottom of the stairs and he cried out as Donghyun jumped from his cry. "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" the girl stuttered quietly as Doyoung shook his head and smiled. "Oh wow" the girl further exclaimed as her eyes lit up as she wandered around the shop, looking at all the different instruments.

"You like music?" Doyoung asked her as the girl didn't say anything but looked around in amazement. Donghyun and Doyoung watched her as she paused at the range of different flutes they had. "Can I try one?" She asked them as she pointed to a flute. The brothers looked at each other as they frowned with confusion.

 

Donghyun nodded as he walked over to the girl with his set of keys and unlocked the cabinet which held the flutes. The girl immediately picked out a flute and Donghyun stepped back to stand next to Doyoung. "Can she..?" Doyoung began as Donghyun shrugged and they both watched the girl. Without thinking the girl brought the flute up to as she began playing. Donghyun and Doyoung's eyes widened in amazement as the girl played a perfect piece on the flute.

Some time passed as Donghyun and Doyoung sat up on the cashier desk in the shop and listened to the girl play different tunes perfectly on the flute. They were amazed and in a trance by her playing. Although she didn't know who she was, her name or how she got there, she knew for sure how to play the flute.

 

"Woah! Amazing!" Doyoung cried out as he clapped loudly, Donghyun followed and the girl chuckled as she thanked them before putting the flute down. "How did you..." Doyoung began to ask but he was stopped by the tears that rolled down the girl’s face. She bowed her head as the tears didn't stop and the brothers looked at each other as Donghyun nudged Doyoung. Doyoung mouthed 'me?!' to his brother as he nodded.

Doyoung carefully got up and slowly made his way towards the girl. First he took the flute gently from her hand before hesitating as he wasn't sure what to do next. "Are you hungry? Should we eat something?" Doyoung suggested as he looked back at Donghyun who quickly nodded and disappeared to find a food delivery leaflet.

 

Doyoung watched the girl silently as tears continued falling. He sighed quietly before lifting the girl's chin gently. She looked at him with a red face and puffy eyes from her tears and he smiled to her. "It was beautiful, really" He told her as he gently wiped the tears away from her face as she watched him silently.

"I'll try and help you remember something, I'm sure you'll remember soon" Doyoung reassured her.

"Thank you" the girl simply uttered quietly as Donghyun reappeared from upstairs.

Doyoung quickly took a few steps back from the girl as they all decided what they wanted to eat. The girl watched Doyoung from the distance as he was laughing and chatting with Donghyun, and she gave a small smile.

 

~

 

A week passed, two weeks passed and more, there was no new information or memories about the girl. She stayed in one of the empty classrooms above the music shop and Doyoung often slept over in another classroom so she didn't feel alone. The brothers never had a plan, they didn't know what to do with the girl, but they agreed she could stay there until she regained her memory or found out who she was.

The girl even helped them, sharing her knowledge of flutes and even substituting for a flute teacher who fell sick for her few classes a week. Everything reassured the girl that things would be fine, she felt safe while she was trying to remember things, and she had the brothers looking out for her.

 

The girl sat upright and opened wide to yawn. She checked the time on the clock of the wall which read 1.30am. "Ah I need some water" she mumbled tiredly as she pulled herself up and dragged her feet towards the door. The girl wandered down the corridor towards the back of the building where there was a small rest room, inside was some sofas, a small fridge, sink, microwave and other things which were needed.

"Aish!" The girl heard cry out loudly as she looked up to find Doyoung stood in the doorway of the rest room, pressing his hand against his chest and breathing deeply. "You made me jump again, ah, I think it's your hair" Doyoung whined as the girl grinned with a guilty expression on her face to him.

"Sorry, I just came for some water." The girl said as she followed Doyoung back inside the rest room where Doyoung poured some water into a glass for her.

 

"Thank you" the girl told Doyoung as he slid the glass of water over the table to her before sitting down opposite her. "Sorry for making you jump again, you know you don't have to sleep here right?" The girl suggested to Doyoung as he shook his head with a smile.

"No no, really it's fine. I don't mind staying here. We don't know where you came from or what happened to you yet, so we need to keep you safe" Doyoung explained to the girl as they both smiled to each other. Since the girl ended up at the brother's music shop, Doyoung had always stayed over night in the classroom next door or be with her whenever she was in the shop or went outside. He was always watching her and making sure she was fine, and they often practiced playing the flute together, although Doyoung agreed the girl played a lot better than him.

 

Doyoung and the girl spoke for a while before Doyoung jumped up, "I thought of an idea!" He said with a big smile as the girl frowned. Before she could say anything, Doyoung disappeared out of the rest room before reappearing a minute or two later. The girl didn't see him as she had her back to the door, but Doyoung quietly approached the back of her. The girl attempted to turn her head to look at him as he told her t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter