a stranger and a friend

closer than before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the days went by, Jo Insung's fame in the industry continued to rise. He starred in a highly successful movie alongside renowned actors, solidifying his position as a sought-after talent. On the other hand, Seongim was steadily making her mark and gaining recognition in her own name as actress Song Jihyo

 

Their respective films generated immense buzz, attracting audiences ranging from thousands to millions. Song Jihyo stayed true to her word and attended Jo Insung's movie premiere, showing her support. However, Insung failed to do so, leaving her with unanswered questions. Despite the disappointment, she chose to go with the flow, as she often does in life.

 

But fate had other plans in store for them. After four long years, they found themselves together again at a prestigious award show where Jo Insung was nominated for Best Actor in Film. The camera flashes within her eyes as she continued to look for him throughout the night, hoping that he attended too.

 

Finally, she spotted him sitting across their table, surrounded by his co-stars and director. Witnessing his nomination for such a prestigious award made her realize how distant he had become over the years. Yet, she still held on to the hope that he would recognize her, even if only through the screen. But it seemed he didn't.

 

Just as she was about to excuse herself to the ladies' room, someone grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a secluded hallway. It was him. "Wait, Seongim," he called out to her.

 

She turned her head slowly, her voice filled with longing as she uttered his name, "Insung-ah." She found herself speechless, unable to find the right words, as he pulled her into a tight embrace.

 

"It's been a while. I've missed you," he confessed abruptly.

 

Although tons of questions raced through her mind, she remained speechless. Was this real? How should she feel? What were they again, exactly?

 

"You didn't miss me too?" he asked.

 

Finally, she found her voice again and replied, "I did."

 

A smile crept across Insung's face. "Do you want to go somewhere later? There's a new store in our usual spot at Han River." He felt her nodding slowly. "Okay, I'll meet you there once the show ends at midnight."

 

The award show concluded at eleven in the evening, and Insung eagerly scanned the crowd, hoping to spot her instantly. And there she was, searching for him too. "You can stop looking for the main event now. He's already here," Insung playfully remarked as he approached her. "Shall we?"

 

They made their way to Han River, arriving well past midnight. Following their usual routine, they ordered two bowls of ramyeon with beer on the side.

 

"I thought you wouldn't fulfill your promise... again," she commented, a tinge of disappointment in her voice, as he cooled down her ramyeon bowl, just as he always did.

 

Insung's smile turned bittersweet. "Mianhae," he said softly, placing her ramyeon next to her.

 

"I waited for you for a long time," she admitted, her voice tinged with a mix of sadness and disappointment. "And over the years, you slowly became a stranger to me." Insung remained silent, looking at her intently, eager to listen to her. "But it's fine," she continued, forcing a dry laugh. "I'm not the type to hold grudges anyway."

 

"Seongim-ah," he called her after a while, gently taking hold of her hand and gazing into her eyes, conveying his sincerity. "I know where I went wrong, and I have no words but sorry. I'm not sure how I can make it up to you, but I promise to be the first person by your side whenever you need someone, especially in this industry we're in."

 

That initial encounter marked a new beginning, where Insung went from being a stranger to a friend she could confide in, someone she could lean on when needed. Fate brought them even closer as they became co-stars in a film that added another success to their filmography. However, their plans to go out for drinks together were thwarted by Jo Insung's military duties. Nevertheless, their time spent filming the movie undoubtedly helped them grow more comfortable with each other.

 

"Let's watch a movie together once I return from my military service," Insung suggested.

 

"Please don't make another promise you won't fulfill," Seongim replied, playfully punching his chest. "But take care, okay?"

 

"I will," he assured her.

 

"And please don't become a stranger to me again.”

 

Yet, as time went on, Jo Insung gradually did become a stranger once again. Months of letters and text messages went unanswere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter