a promise

closer than before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

2002.

 

[Cheon Seongim, where are you? When are you coming home? Your class ends at 12 noon, right?]

 

Seongim hurriedly went outside the performing arts theater when her phone suddenly rang after briefly reading her mother's text message to her. "Eomma." She greeted her. "I-I'm just eating lunch. I'll be home before five."

 

"There are plenty of food here. There's no need to buy food outside."

 

"Noona's on a date."

 

She frowned. "Yah! Cheon Seongmoon!" She shouted, not bothering the other students around her. "Where did you learn about that?!" She just heard her younger brother, Seongmoon, giggle. "I'm not on a date, eomma. I swear!"

 

Her mother sighed. "Alright. Alright. Just go home before the day ends."

 

She smiled widely with that. "Ne, eomma! Saranghae." Seongim quickly turned off her phone and returned to the theater. It was about one o'clock in the afternoon, and the audition for Ryu Seungsoo's acting class was about to begin.

 

Acting was never her dream. She always wanted to follow the footsteps of her grandfather on being a herbal medicine doctor, yet he was also the same person who recognize her talent and encouraged her to become an actress.

 

"You could be like that too, Seongim." Her grandfather said as they were watching a movie starring Jeon Doyeon and Park Shinyang. "You can also be a great actress."

 

"I don't think I can act in front of many people." She answered.

 

"I always hear you reciting the lines of this movie every time you watch it. You can do it, Seongim-ah."

 

"Harabeoji-" She stopped midway when her grandfather gave her a leaflet. She slowly read every word written on it. "Omo. It'll be tomorrow." She looked at her grandfather who was just smiling at her. "It will also be held in Gangnam."

 

"I'll fetch you tomorrow from school and will take you there... but keep this as a secret from your mom, okay?"

 

She nodded in response. "Thank you, harabeoji." Then, she hugged her grandfather tightly. "I promise I'll do well."

 

"I'm sure you will be the best among everyone there."

 

She laughed as an answer. "I don't think so."

 

"I can see it already, sweetheart. You will be one of the most promising actresses of your generation in five years. There is no doubt that you will be cast in a variety of roles that will drive your popularity both within and outside of our country decades from now."

 

Students were already in the theater as soon as she entered. It took a while for her to look for her seat, only to find it three rows behind Ryu Seungsoo himself. The auditions began shortly after a while.

 

"I want to make you a warm meal..."

 

"Again." Seongim flinched in her seat after hearing the stern voice of Seungsoo. She felt her heart race as she will be the next applicant to perform in front of other students and Ryu Seungsoo.

 

"I-I want to make you a warm meal."

 

"Andwae... it's not like that." Seongim whispered to herself as she watched the woman on stage. It was also a great surprise that the script they are asked to act on was her favorite movie, A Promise.

 

Seungsoo throwed away the script he was holding and stood up out of frustration. "Get out of there."

 

"Ne?" The woman on stage looked at the Seungsoo with pleading eyes. "Let me try again. Please." She walked closer to the Seungsoo and knelt in front of him. "Just give me another chance. I will try my best."

 

"I said get out!"

 

"But-"

 

"Don't make me repeat myself."

 

"Aigoo. Someone already made Mr. Ryu mad in his first class of the month." Seongim looked at the person sitting next to her. It seems like he just got there and was just finding an excuse to make his presence more natural. "But, this isn't his class yet." Then, he dramatically sighed. "Are you auditioning, too?"

 

"Me?" Seongim said, pointing to herself. He only nodded at her. "I thought you were talking to yourself, sorry."

 

"Well, to be fair... I wasn't able to introduce myself well either," he laughed. Seongim was just staring at him blankly, and he couldn't help but smile at her. "My name is Insung," he eventually responded, reaching out his right hand, waiting for her to intr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter