✧Ever After✧ (part 1)

Once Upon A Fight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"And ever since that night... Meon-byeol the star got her wish. And that is to be wished upon by every kid, every night before they go to sleep."

Jinyoung ends his story which was the last story for today's session. Right after he closed the book he had read, he heard a resounding applause from the crowd of little kids, clapping their hands happily and cheerfully. And as always, it was more than enough to bring a smile to Jinyoung's lips. Seeing how much happy he'd made these kids by reading a story to them, that is what he loved most in this part-time job of his.

Jinyoung looked back at the side of the room where Youngjae- his co-part-time worker was standing near the projector and nodded on him to instruct that he can now turn the machine off to stop displaying the background behind him. As the younger did, Jinyoung looks back at the kids and bowed in front of them. Once again, a nice story has been delivered for these kids to hear, and he hopes its moral lesson will be realized by the kids as well.

This will be the third summer that Jinyoung is working as a part-time story teller at the local library in their town. Since he really love kids, and since he needs an extra income during summer, he decided to apply for the job. So far, there has not been a moment that he regretted his decision of applying for the job. He earns enough money, and he enjoys what he's doing at the same time.

After bowing to the crowd, Jinyoung descended the mini stairs and joined with his other co-workers. Eun-woo was the one who greeted him first, congratulating him for a job well done, yet again.

"Hyung, as always... you did great!" The younger told him, patting his shoulders and taking the storybook from him to put it where the other storybooks they have read today were. "You really have a talent in telling stories. I'm not a kid anymore but you make me want to believe in magic."

Jinyoung can't help but laugh at the younger's remark. He appreciates the compliment but, he still feels flustered whenever he's complimented. To hide his embarrassment, Jinyoung reached for Eun-woo's head and ruffled the younger's hair. "One's age doesn't have anything to do with one's belief in magic. Regardless if you're young or old, if you believe in magic, no one would tell you otherwise." 

"But still, you really have your way with words. You add more to what is there in the story. I can't explain it but... you are simply the best, hyung!" Eun-woo says, giving him two thumbs up and Jinyoung just laughs again at that, unsure how he should react other than being thankful for the compliment.

"That is probably why the kids love him more than us, Eun-woo." Youngjae who is unplugging the projector said, pouting at Eun-woo who is busy arranging the books in the cart. When their eyes met, Youngjae smiled. "No wonder you're the favorite, hyung."

Jinyoung responded with a smile and decided he had enough compliments for the day. He told the younger two that he will accommodate the kids as they both deal with the things they've used in the session.

 

"Can we really be stars, Nyoungie hyung?" 

Jinyoung heard from Yugyeom who is staring at him with those big doe eyes, small hands cupping his face while he has his elbows propped on the table. 

Ruffling the toddler's hair, Jinyoung asks. "You want to be a star, Gyeomie?" And that earned an almost aggressive nod from the five-year-old. Jinyoung finds it adorably cute and he can't help but pinch Yugyeom's puffy cheeks. But then Bambam turned to give his best friend an incredulous look.

"You want to be a star, Gyeomie?" Bambam repeats the same question, but in a different tone. This made Yugyeom turn to his best friend too. This time, none of them are cupping their small faces in their small hands anymore. They're staring at each other.

"Yes, I do."

"But why?" 

"Why not? I think it's fun. To be a star will be fun." Then Yugyeom was staring back at him again. "Right, Nyoungie hyung?"

Jinyoung isn't sure what to answer but he still nodded. "Well, I guess-"

"See?" Yugyeom immediately turned and asks his bestfriend again. "It's fun to be a star. Be a star with me, Bammie."

But the little Thai only shook his head and pouts. "I don't want to."

"But whyyyy???" it's now Yugyeom's turn to ask. Jinyoung was curious too as to why Bambam has a different view on this matter so he waited for his response.

"If I become a star... then people will wish a lot. There will be a lot of wishes and..." Bambam's voice becomes smaller. "...they will wait. They will hope. But if I can't make their wishes come true... they will be sad and I don't want to make people sad."

At the end of Bambam's sentence, Jinyoung sensed how the mood of the two kids shifted. Even Yugyeom who was cheerful just a minute ago was now looking down, and seems to be thinking about what Bambam has said. Jinyoung didn't expect that he'll be hearing this from a five-year-old but... it makes sense. The fear of disappointing someone is real. He just didn't expect that these kids at a young age have thoughts like this. They're too young to worry about such. Slowly and gently, Jinyoung reaches for Bambam's hand and made the toddler look at him. 

When he did, Jinyoung smiled. "It is true that people will hope. When they wish, of course they will hope that it will come true. And yes, if their wishes won't come true they might be sad. But still... you will try to make them come true, right?" He looked at Yugyeom who was also staring at him. Jinyoung reaches for the younger's hand too and continued. "Remember this, okay? What's important is that you tired. The effort you've put in trying... that will be enough."

As soon as he saw the two kids smiling, Jinyoung knows he had said the right things. Bambam was the first one to speak. "Okay, Gyeomie. I'll be a star like you, too."

Yugyeom then clapped his hands. "Yey! Let's both be stars! And then we will let Nyoungie hyung wish upon us."

"Yes! What will be your wish, Nyoungie hyung?"

Jinyoung smiles at Bambam's question. "You guys aren't stars yet." He ruffled their hairs again. "But I'll let you know once you both are."

 

🙤 · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ꕥ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈ · 🙦

 

Jinyoung was getting ready for the storytelling session which will start in thirty minutes. He'll be the last one to come up on stage but still, he needs to prepare. Surely, he doesn't want to disappoint the kids.

He was rereading the story he's going to share with the kids later on when he heard someone calling him.

"NYOUNGIE HYUNG!!!" 

And there he sees Yugyeom who is happily skipping, waving his hands at him, wearing that toothy smile of his. But the toddler was immediately hushed by his older brother who is holding the toddler's hand while walking with him to the entrance of the library.

"You shouldn't be this loud when in the library. I told you many times already, haven't I?" The red-haired said, slightly scolding his little borther.

Yugyeom covered his mouth for a second and called him again this time, in a whispery voice. Jinyoung smiled at the kid and waved his hands at him but when his eyes met with the red haired's, his smile instantly vanished and was replaced with the strong urge of wanting to roll his eyes. Thankfully, Yugyeom reaching his spot was enough to distract him from glaring at his older brother.

"Nyoungie hyung! I'm here!" Yugyeom cheerfully says. Jinyoung coos at his cuteness. This is really contrast to what he feels because of the presence of the red haired. He tried to ignore the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter