Chapter 46 (i)

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: An update because Taengstagram + update from fave author + 27th + holiday for the rest of the week. This is going to be the 1st part of the last chapter. What I wrote was too long so I had to cut it into parts. So... enjoy!

PS. Happy TaeNy day!


 

 

“Ready to go?” Hyoyeon asked the three people with her as she started the car. She peeked through the rearview mirror and saw Hayeon nodding vigorously at the back. She chuckled. This cousin of hers must have missed Taeyeon so much and was very excited to see her again.

 

She started to drive to the direction of Uncle Hwang’s place.

 

“Is Oppa going to be there too, Hyoyeon unnie?”

 

“Hmm? I think so. I managed to get a hold of him last night and he told me he would try to catch up. Your sister-in-law and the kids might not be able to come with him though. He said they had to go to Unnie’s parents’.”

 

“Ah,” Hayeon nodded. “That’s too bad, but at least Oppa will be there!”

 

“Yup! It’s like a big family reunion!”

 

---

 

“Taeyeon?” Uncle Hwang called from outside the room.

 

The door creaked open. “Yes, si– Uncle?”

 

He smiled. “Better get ready. It’s almost time for the party. I think the guests are on their way.”

 

“Okay. I’m going to change now. Thank you.”

 

---

 

She walked into the living room and was immediately enveloped in a suffocating hug.

 

“You’re alive! Thank heavens, you’re alive!”

 

She would’ve told Sooyoung to let go of her if she could, but she was already having a hard time breathing as it is.

 

“She won’t be for long if you continue hugging the life out of her,” said a voice she recognized as Yuri’s.

 

Sooyoung gave her one last squeeze before finally releasing her. She held her chest and panted. She was thankful that Yuri and the other girls chose to give her a light pat on the shoulder or smile as greeting. 

 

Uncle Hwang chuckled from the side. “Alright, let’s settle down. Make yourselves at home, kids. You know where everything is.”

 

---

 

Hyoyeon parked the car across Uncle Hwang’s house. In front of the house, a man could be seen standing and looking a bit lost.

 

Hayeon quickly got off the car at the sight of the man. “Oppa! Jiwoong oppa!” She yelled as she ran to man, who turned and quickly smiled as he opened his arms to welcome his baby sister. 

 

“Oof!” He stumbled backwards as Hayeon’s came crashing onto him. He laughed when he managed to steady himself. “Easy there, maknae. You’re getting heavier nowadays. What has Umma been feeding you, huh?” He hugged her tightly and caressed her hair.

 

“Yah,” she whined. “Are you saying I’m fat? I’m a perfectly normal-sized teenager, Oppa.”

 

He laughed. “Of course you are.”

 

They spent another minute hugging until both finally let go. Jiwoong looked behind her sister and saw his parents. He walked closer to them and hugged them. “Appa... Umma... I’ve missed you. How are you?”

 

“We’re fine, son,” Mr. Kim said, hugging his son in return. “How are you and the family?”

 

“We’re doing okay, Appa. Jinseok’s turning five next month and he’s been asking for independence.” He laughed with his parents.

 

“You turned out to be a great father, my child.”

 

Jiwoong smiled at her mother. “Thanks. My parents set a good example for me and my sisters.”

 

Hyoyeon could only watch from the side with a smile on her face. Oh this family.

 

“Yah! Kim Hyoyeon! Are you just going to stand there and not give your handsome Oppa a hug?”

 

She gave him a disgusted look before moving forward to hug him. Yep. My family.

 

---

 

She was about to go to the kitchen for some more juice when the doorbell rang. She looked around. Since everybody was busy chatting and having a good time, she opted to open the door herself.

 

She pulled the door open and immediately gasped. “Omo!” Tears started to stream down her porcelain cheeks. She jumped to hug her family – she didn’t know who to hug first, honestly, so she tried to hug all four of them. She missed them and to see her family in front of her and complete, she was speechless.

 

Uncle Hwang told her about meeting them tonight but she didn’t expect all these emotions once she laid eyes on them. There was so much she wanted to say but for now, a tight hug would suffice.

 

---

 

Her phone had been ringing nonstop for the past half hour but she didn’t care.

 

She dragged herself to the closet and picked a random dress to put on for her party.

 

She took her time to prepare, hauling her body here and there before looking up at the time. 6:45. Just enough time. Not that she minded being late. She was the star of the night anyway.

 

She took her purse and made her way to the front door. She opened it and almost fell back in shock as a smiling face greeted her.

 

“Happy birthday, neighbor!” Sunny greeted enthusiastically before engulfing the stunned girl in a big hug. “Let’s go to the party together, yeah?”

 

Tiffany could only manage a nod before she was pulled to the elevator.

 

---

 

“You have so much to explain, Taengoo,” Jiwoong said once they’ve settled on the couch. Mr. and Mrs. Kim were busy talking to Uncle Hwang while Hayeon was playing with Hyoyeon and the others. Jiwoong pulled Taeyeon to join him on the couch and have a talk.

 

She lowered her head. She didn’t think he would find out. She was scared. What if he was mad at her? “O-oppa...”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” 

 

Instead of sounding mad, he sounded hurt instead and it made her feel guilty. “S-sorry. I thought you’d get mad.”

 

“I’m mad that you didn’t tell me, Taeyeon-ah. I thought we could tell each other everything.”

 

She didn’t respond. Guilt was eating her up.

 

“Don’t you trust me anymore?”

 

Her head shot up. “I do, Oppa! I trust you with my life!”

 

“Then why didn’t you tell me? I could’ve offered you to stay at my place instead.”

 

“I didn’t want to bother you and Unnie. And weren’t you against me going to Seoul to look for a job?”

 

“Whether I was against it or not, you still should’ve told me, Taengoo. You were here in Seoul and I didn’t even know about until Hyo called me last night. You’re family, Taeyeon-ah, you can never bother us. I’m sure the kids would’ve loved it if their aunt stayed with us.”

 

“S-sorry, Oppa.”

 

He moved closer to her and put his arms around her. “Even if I was mad, I could never stay mad at you for too long. You’re my sister and I love you. Please don’t keep something like this again?”

 

She nodded against his shoulder.

 

Their little moment was broken when Uncle Hwang’s voice boomed. “They’re almost here.”

 

“There’s still one more thing you haven’t told me, but we’ll talk about that later,” he whispered to her.

 

And just like that, everyone got into position.

 

---

 

Sunny parked the car behind Sooyoung’s. She glanced at the girl on the passenger seat and sighed. Tiffany was still absentmindedly staring out the window and didn’t notice that they have arrived at Uncle Hwang’s place. 

 

Sunny offered to drive instead when she saw how unfocused Tiffany was. She feared for her life, honestly. She nudged Tiffany by the arm, pulling the girl out of her thoughts. “Are you okay?”

 

Tiffany nodded.

 

“Okay then. We’re here.”

 

They both got off the car and made their way to the front door. Loud music could be heard from the outside and Sunny was tapping her feet on the floor to the beat of the music while Tiffany was just staring at the door. 

 

The door swung open. “Hey, you’re finally here!” Jessica said before hugging the birthday girl. “Let’s go inside.” She put her arm around Tiffany and the other one around Sunny. “Everyone’s waiting.”

 

---

 

She filled up her glass with juice then turned to look around the crowded living room. Her eyes wandered and stopped when she saw a lone figure quietly sitting on the couch. Shaking her head, she made her way to the birthday celebrant and sat down beside her.

 

“You could at least pretend that you’re enjoying, you know.”

 

Tiffany turned her head and sighed. “I can’t, Yoona.”

 

“It’s not the end of the world, Fany-ah.”

 

Then why does it feel like it? She didn’t say that out loud and chose to stay quiet.

 

Yoona couldn’t stand gloominess any longer. She stood up and stealthily made her way to the library where she knew Uncle Hwang was. She knocked on the door and opened it after hearing his voice.

 

“Uncle Hwang?”

 

“Ah, Yoona. Is there a problem?”

 

“Well... your niece...”

 

“She’s not enjoying, is she?” He knew, of course.

 

Yoona shook her head and sighed.

 

“Well, why don’t we give her the first present of the night then?”

 

---

 

A knock on the door made them stop talking. The door swung open, revealing a smiling Uncle Hwang. 

 

“Hi. Are you doing okay here?”

 

They all nodded at him and smiled. 

 

“Okay then. Taeyeon? I need you to come with me.”

 

Taeyeon nodded and stood up. “Ah, so it’s time?”

 

“Yes. Come on.”

 

---

 

“Stop sulking.”

 

Tiffany only spared her a glance before staring at nothing again.

 

Jessica sighed. “Do you want your presents now? It might lift up your mood.”

 

Tiffany shrugged.

 

Jessica shook her head and stood up. “I expect a complete turnaround after this,” she mumbled before making her way to the kitchen.

 

All of a sudden, the lights went off and the whole house grew quiet, which was odd because she was so sure Jessica would’ve busted their eardrums with her squeal because of fright.

 

Pushing that unimportant thought aside, Tiffany started calling her friends and uncle out. “Uncle? Jess? Yoong? Yuri? Sooyoung?”

 

She grew more worried and scared when no one answered. Why was no one answering? Weren’t they just there? She stood up and started walking around the room with little steps. “Uncle? Jess? Yoong?” She used her hands to feel her way through the furnitures.

 

She started to panic when no one was still answering. “Yuri? Sooyoung-ah!” What a party. 

 

She continued walking around the house with much difficulty but stopped when she bumped into something. “Ouch,” she groaned.

 

She heard another groan and gasped. “Jess? Yah!  Why weren’t you answering awhile ago? Where were you?”

 

A chuckle answered her instead. 

 

“Yah! Why are you laughing? Aren’t you sca– ah!” She let out a yelp as her body was pulled forward into a tight hug.

 

She was about to complain and get out of Jessica’s embrace when the lights . She gasped. “Taeyeon?!”

 

And for the second time that night, Taeyeon found herself enveloped in a suffocating hug.