Chapter 18

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: This is the most I’ve written for a chapter, so please appreciate. Haha. It might not be good but I tried to squeeze in as much TaeNy as I can before... hahaha! :))

I went through each comment and THANK YOU. Really. Your comments -- no matter how short -- are what keeps me writing.

Welcome new readers!

Enjoy!


 

 

“Okay, we’re here. Where do you wanna go to first?” Sooyoung asked after entering the big amusement park. They were all looking around the place, except for Taeyeon who was looking at a map. 

 

“Roller coaster?”

 

“Haunted house?”

 

“Swing ride?”

 

“Rapids?”

 

“How about here?” Taeyeon said, interrupting the others.

 

Jessica looked at what Taeyeon was pointing to and raised an eyebrow, “Really? You want to ride there? That’s like... for kids.”

 

“It... is?”

 

Tiffany and the others gathered around the two and looked at what they were talking about. Yoona and Sooyoung laughed while Tiffany and Yuri just smiled. 

 

“Merry-go-round, Taeyeon?” Tiffany teased.

 

Taeyeon’s cheeks reddened as she lowered her head. “I-I just thought we should start with the not-so-scary rides.”

 

Tiffany smiled wider, “Okay then. Since we’re here because of Taeyeon, let’s ride the merry-go-round first.”

 

“Aww! But I wanted to ride the big roller coaster over there!” Yoona whined.

 

Tiffany and Jessica both glared at her as if telling her to shut up. 

 

“F-fine,” Yoona shivered and hid behind Yuri who was laughing at the scene.

 

---

 

Tiffany looked to her side and smiled at the sight of a very happy Taeyeon riding a white horse on the merry-go-round. Who would’ve thought that someone older than her could look so much younger? She definitely fits this ride. 

 

“Like her yet?” she almost fell from her horse at the voice. She placed a hand over her heart to calm it down before glaring at her friend who she was so sure was going to kill her one day.

 

She slapped Jessica’s arm and hissed. “Yah! What are you talking about?”

 

Jessica shrugged and went back to the carriage where Sooyoung was. 

 

She kept glaring at Jessica’s back for a long time before she heard another voice. “You okay?” she almost fell again. She groaned as she thought that her death place might be the merry-go-round of an amusement park. What an unlikely place to die in. 

 

She looked to her side and saw Taeyeon’s face full of concern. “I am, why?”

 

“Well, you keep glaring at someone that you didn’t even notice that the ride is over.”

 

She looked around and saw that the others were on their way down the ride while she was sitting comfortably on a horse. She blushed and was about to go down when a hand made it’s way to her arm and an arm around her waist. 

 

“I think I can go down by myself, Tae.” 

 

“Oh, sorry,” she then felt Taeyeon let go of her. She slightly frowned when the warmth disappeared but blamed herself completely. Oh Lord, why did I even say that?

 

Taeyeon patiently waited for her to get down the horse before they both made their way to the exit where the others were waiting. 

 

“Well, finally!” Jessica rolled her eyes at them, “You were taking your precious time getting down the horse, Tiff. People were starting to complain why they weren’t allowed to go in yet. You should’ve let Taeyeon help you.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled along with the others while Tiffany just blushed. 

 

“What’s next?!” Yuri yelled excitedly. 

 

“Roller coaster!!” Sooyoung and Yoona yelled. They didn’t give time for anyone to object as the three loudly made their way to the roller coaster queue. The three of them were jumping around, obviously excited to get on the ride.

 

Tiffany and Jessica shook their heads while Taeyeon followed them quietly. 

 

They stood in line waiting for their turn to get in. Yoona, Sooyoung and Yuri were jumping around, obviously not even trying to hide their excitement, while Jessica and Tiffany were talking about something Taeyeon didn’t bother to understand. She was silently standing behind the rest.

 

When it was their turn, each couple paired up and sat together. Being the ones with no lovers, Taeyeon and Tiffany sat together. While Tiffany was trying to make herself comfortable in her seat, she noticed that Taeyeon had her eyes closed. She looked at her curiously before tapping her shoulder.

 

Taeyeon jumped from her seat and opened her eyes. “Y-yes?”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“O-of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” her smile was forced and it didn’t go unnoticed, “I was just... trying to feel the wind. Yeah.”

 

Tiffany frowned at that. “The ride hasn’t even started and there’s no wind.”

 

Taeyeon was about to answer when the ride started moving. She wasn’t sure if she should be happy that she didn’t have to lie to Tiffany or if she should start praying for her life. She breathed in deeply as she felt the roller coaster starting to pick up speed. She closed her eyes and heard the others start screaming in excitement, including Tiffany, who she thought was scared.

 

She gripped on the handles tightly as the ride took a big dip. She felt as though her heart was going to come out of her chest. She tried opening one of her eyes to look but regretted it immediately. They were at the highest part of the ride, on the way to another dip. She bit her lower lip hard. It was close to bleeding and she didn’t even care. Her face was pale and her knuckles turned white. 

 

She was close to tears when the ride finally came to a stop. She gulped and panted heavily, still with her eyes closed.

 

Tiffany was slowly getting out of her seat when she noticed that Taeyeon wasn’t moving. “Taeyeon?”

 

She opened her eyes when she heard Tiffany calling her. She looked around and saw that the ride ended. She sighed in relief.

 

“Are you okay?” Tiffany started to get worried when the older girl didn’t respond.

 

“I think Taeng still wants another go at it,” Jessica said as she went to stand beside Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon’s head snapped to the side. “N-no. L-let’s go.” She got off the ride and walked to the exit. Tiffany and Jessica looked at each other then shrugged before following the girl to the exit. 

 

---

 

“Haunted house!” Taeyeon didn’t even have time to calm her heart when Yuri shouted. She wanted to protest but she was dragged to the scary looking attraction by Jessica. She gulped as she stared at it. She didn’t want to go in, but she didn’t want to tell them she was afraid. 

 

“Let’s pair up! It’s better that way,” Yuri said then intertwined her hands with Yoona. Jessica then linked her arm with Sooyoung’s. Tiffany and Taeyeon stood beside each other awkwardly while looking at the two couples. 

 

“Tae, Tiffany’s a screamer, better cover your ears,” Jessica teased them as they stepped into the haunted house. Jessica and Sooyoung walked in first, followed closely by Yuri and Yoona. Taeyeon waited for Tiffany to move before she took a step. The first step she took inside might as well be her last. She flinched and bit her lip again to stop herself from screaming when she suddenly saw something move on her right. 

 

Tiffany saw it too and screamed. Taeyeon thought she was going to die, if not because of heart attack then probably Tiffany’s loud voice. 

 

They continued walking. Ghouls and ghosts started appearing from all sides. Tiffany wanted so much to grab Taeyeon and bury her face into the girl’s neck but decided against it. It will be very weird. Just when she was about to walk another step, she felt someone grab her arm. She screamed her lungs out until she heard someone say, “Ouch! Don’t scream please!”

 

She froze at the familiar voice. She looked to her side and saw Taeyeon looking around and flinching every time something scary catches her eyes. She then looked down at the her arm and saw Taeyeon clinging tightly onto it. 

 

Her heart started beating fast. She no longer cared that she was in a haunted house. While Taeyeon was fighting the urge to scream loudly, Tiffany was fighting the urge to smile widely. This was different from how she pictured this trip would be, but she couldn’t complain. If we get together, I might be the ‘man’ in the relationship. She shivered at the thought, but couldn’t care less. She wasn’t scared anymore.

 

She looked at Taeyeon who was still looking around and yelping every now and then. She then thought of something. Might as well take advantage of the situation. She made Taeyeon let go of her arm, when the girl was about to grab it again, she placed it around the girl’s shoulder and pulled her closer. 

 

Taeyeon, who was still scared to death, put her arms around Tiffany’s waist. Tiffany inhaled sharply when she felt Taeyeon’s arms around her. She wanted so badly to squeal, but thought it would be weird to squeal excitedly when you’re in a haunted house. 

 

They continued to walk with Taeyeon still clinging onto her as if her life depended on Tiffany. Tiffany, on the other hand, wasn’t paying attention to the ghosts and props that kept appearing out of nowhere. She didn’t even flinch when a ‘zombie’ moved to grab her hand. She simply brushed the bandaged hand off and continued to walk. 

 

When the exit sign was visible, both had different expressions. While Taeyeon was more than happy that the torture was finally ending, Tiffany was sad that she to soon let go of the other girl. 

 

When they stepped out, they saw the two couples already waiting for them. 

 

“What next?” Sooyoung asked eagerly.

 

“Swing ride!” Yuri shouted.

 

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon worriedly. She suspected that Taeyeon was scared. She wanted to tell the others not to go to scary rides anymore but she knows that her friends enjoy it very much. 

 

“I think I’ll have to sit this one out, guys,” Taeyeon said suddenly. She saw the swing ride, and it wasn’t the swings she got used to, no, not at all. It was a big swing ride that could probably throw you thousands of feet into the air if the cables manage to snap.

 

“Huh? Why?” 

 

“I’m... I’m a bit hungry,” Taeyeon quickly made up a lie, but Tiffany knew better.

 

“Hmm... okay, but are you going to be fine alone?”

 

“Actually,” Tiffany interjected, “I’m also a bit hungry, so I’ll just go with Taeyeon.”

 

Yuri, Yoona and Sooyoung nodded, while Jessica shot her a knowing look. 

 

“Okay then. We’ll just see you around then.” The other girls bid goodbye before running off to the ride.

 

---

 

Tiffany and Taeyeon were now sitting on a bench while munching on hotdogs. It was fairly quiet as both didn’t know what to say to the other. Taeyeon was embarrassed because truthfully, she wasn’t hungry, she just really wanted to get away from the deadly rides. As for Tiffany, she wasn’t hungry as well, but she wanted to be with Taeyeon.

 

After much struggling to finish the food, Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, “What do you want to do now? Want to go on that swing ride now?” she asked, trying to confirm her suspicions.

 

Taeyeon panicked. She couldn’t think of any more excuses to bail out of any ride. 

 

Tiffany smiled a bit when she saw how flustered Taeyeon was. She decided to tease the girl. “You’re scared, aren’t you?”

 

Taeyeon quickly denied, “No!”

 

“Then let’s line up now!” Tiffany said as she grabbed Taeyeon’s hand to drag her to the ride.

 

Taeyeon resisted the pull which made Tiffany stumble backwards. “What? I thought you aren’t scared?”

 

“I’m no-... okay I am! I am!” she finally admitted as she felt Tiffany trying to pull her again. She saw Tiffany smirk and slightly pushed her shoulder with her free hand.

 

Tiffany laughed but stopped when Taeyeon let go of her hand. Taeyeon didn’t take notice. 

 

“What do you want to do now then? How about games?”

 

“Ooh! Games! I’d like that! Come on, let’s go!” Tiffany found another excuse to hold the older girl’s hand as she grabbed it and dragged her towards one of the game stalls.

 

“Good afternoon, miss. Would you like to play this game?” The guy behind the counter asked politely.

 

Tiffany nodded eagerly. “Yes. How do you play it?”

 

“Easy. Just knock over as many bottles as you can with a ball. You get three tries. The prize you get depends on how many bottles fall,” he said. 

 

She took out some money and paid him. He then gave her three balls.

 

Tiffany concentrated on the target. Sure she was never good at playing games, but it won’t hurt to try right? It took her a full minute before she released the ball with as much force as she can. She thought it was enough, but the ball didn’t even make it to the table where the bottles were placed.

 

She heard a chuckle on her side and quickly turned. It was Taeyeon. She glared at the girl, but that didn’t stop Taeyeon from laughing. She scoffed. “Like you can do better, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon looked at her and smiled. “Well, I don’t know about that, but I can try.” She walked over and grabbed one of the remaining balls. She then aimed at the target. Seconds later, she released it and watched as it flew across the booth. One by one, the bottles fell down. 

 

The guy in the stall clapped at her and asked her what prize she wanted. She smiled at him and pointed at a pink stuffed teddy bear hanging on the side. If she remembers it correctly, Tiffany adores that color. The guy hands it to her. She smiles at him before facing Tiffany who was still looking at the fallen bottles. 

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “I tried and I found out... I can do better.”

 

Tiffany turned to glare at her. She then walked past Taeyeon, towards another booth. 

 

On the way there, Taeyeon caught up with her and tried coaxing the girl. She kept poking Tiffany’s sides, but nothing. She then showed her the bear. “Here, it’s for you.”

 

Tiffany stopped walking and looked at the bear, then Taeyeon. “What?”

 

“It’s for you. I won it for you.”

 

Tiffany looked at her weirdly, although on the inside, she was dying from happiness. “Why would you do that?”

 

“To remind you that I’m better than you,” Taeyeon then shoved the bear in Tiffany’s arms and ran away while laughing.

 

Tiffany caught the bear and smiled at it before running after Taeyeon. “Yah!!”

 

---

 

They went to a couple more booths where Tiffany tried to prove that she was better than Taeyeon... and failed. She couldn’t complain though, as Taeyeon won her two more plushies. She didn’t know what the hell she was going to do with three stuffed animals, but she gladly accepted them as they were from Taeyeon.

 

It was now dark and they were walking around the amusement park. Tiffany was holding the biggest toy she received, while Taeyeon helped her carry the two smaller ones. They haven’t heard from their friends since this afternoon so they assumed that the four were still enjoying the many rides of the park. They continued walking until Taeyeon heard a growl. She looked at Tiffany and snickered, “Hungry?”

 

Tiffany slapped her arm lightly, “Yes. Let’s go find a place to eat before you see me ‘lying lifelessly here’,” she said, completely remembering how Taeyeon used those words on her one day at the office. 

 

Taeyeon chuckled before following her to a restaurant.

 

---

 

After eating, the walked out of the restaurant with Taeyeon burping every now and then. Tiffany playfully shoved her when she let out a burp louder than the previous ones. “That’s disgusting, Tae. Will you lower it down a bit? You can wake the other side of the world with that burp of yours.”

 

“Your fault for making me finish those fries.”

 

“It’s not good to waste food, Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon dismissed the argument with a wave of a hand and plopped down on one of the benches, slouching. “Yeah, whatever.”

 

“Are you just going to sit there?”

 

“Yes. My stomach’s full and I think I can fall asleep any time soon.”

 

“What are you? A pig? Come on, Tae. Sica texted me and told me that they’re going to a few more rides before calling it a day. We can’t just sit here and do nothing.”

 

Taeyeon sat up and looked at the girl who was still standing. “Fine. What do you suggest then, boss?”

 

Tiffany poked her head for teasing and answered, “Let’s ride something.”

 

Taeyeon looked around and only saw big scary rides. She shook her head. “I already told you I’m scared, why do you like to torture me so much?”

 

Tiffany laughed. “I don’t. I was thinking of riding a less scarier ride.”

 

“What ride would that be?”

 

Tiffany pretended to think. “Ferris Wheel?”

 

“By the way, I’m scared of heights,” Taeyeon said while playing with one of the stuffed toys. 

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “What aren’t you scared of? Come on! The view’s great up there, you won’t even notice the height.”

 

“You can ride without me. I’ll take care of these babies,” she grabbed the toy in Tiffany’s grasp and sat it beside the other two on the bench.

 

Tiffany raised an eyebrow, “Babies?”

 

“Yeah! Our babies!” Taeyeon giggled as she engulfed the three stuffed animals in a tight embrace. 

 

Tiffany froze. Our babies? OURS? She grinned inside but shook her head to look at Taeyeon who was still embracing the toys. 

 

“We can bring those babies with us to the ride. Come on!” She didn’t leave any room for Taeyeon to argue when she grabbed the girl by the neck, making her stand up, and dragged her to the line.

 

---

 

“Stop moving or else we’ll fall when we get to the highest part,” Tiffany said when Taeyeon kept on fidgeting making their compartment sway a bit.

 

“I can’t, I’m scared.” She slowly stood up from her seat and grabbed one of the stuffed animals from the other side and hugged it tightly. 

 

Tiffany raised an eyebrow before laughing loudly. She couldn’t control her laughter and started clapping and moving around in her seat.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened. She grabbed Tiffany’s hand and held it tightly. “Stop moving! We’ll fall like you said!”

 

Tiffany instantly stopped laughing when she felt Taeyeon hold her hand. Before she can do anything else, she felt that the ride started, which made Taeyeon hold her tighter. She flinched but didn’t complain. 

 

The ride was slow and torturing for Taeyeon. She wanted to see the view but was too scared. All her thoughts and fears (and dinner), eventually wore her out. She closed her eyes, feeling the tiredness flow through her body, and dozed off. 

 

Tiffany was enjoying the wonderful view when she felt a weight on her shoulder. She didn’t have to look to know what or who it was. Taeyeon was still holding onto the stuffed toy, making her look like a kid falling asleep on her mom’s shoulder. Tiffany frowned at the thought. She slowly pulled the toy away from Taeyeon’s grasp and half-threw it to the other side where the other toys were. 

 

Now that Taeyeon was toy-free, and the fact that they were still holding hands, now made them look like a couple.

 

A couple.

 

She grinned widely and made a bold move. Slowly but surely, she intertwined her fingers with Taeyeon’s. She wanted to take a picture but brushed the idea off as it might wake the older girl and break off this sweet moment they were having -- even if it was only her who knows about it. 

 

She then rested her head on top of Taeyeon’s and looked at the view, all while smiling widely.