Chapter 39

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: Hello, hello! Sorry for the late update but my brother has been spending way too much time in my room for the past week that I can barely type anything. Anyway, this update will be very short because I am seriously in no mood for any kind of drama right now (lol) but at least it’ll answer some of your questions (I think). 

New readers, welcome! :)


 

 

After drying her tears, Tiffany drove to the mall to buy a few things for the apartment. She was supposed to do it with Taeyeon the next day but since she was with nothing to do, she decided to just do it on that day.

 

She walked around the supermarket while pushing a cart in front of her and scanned through the different brands of cereals. She was never fond of eating them, but since Taeyeon liked them so much, she thought she’d buy a box for her little girlfriend.

 

Just when she was about to reach for a box of Oreo O’s*, she heard several boxes hitting the tiled floor from not so far. She looked to her right and saw a girl in her teens trying to reach for a box on the highest shelf while on the tip of her toes. She smiled at the sight before walking towards the girl. She reached for the box and gave it to her. “Here you go.” She smiled.

 

The girl smiled back. “Thank you, Unnie.” She bent down to get the fallen boxes and placed them back on the shelves.

 

The girl stood back and waved at Tiffany. “Thank you again, Unnie. Goodbye!”

 

She watched the girl run to the end of the aisle while shouting ‘Unnie! Unnie! I found it!’ before disappearing into the corner.

 

She shook her head and smiled. The girl strangely reminded her of Taeyeon – from the small physique to the dorky smile. She suddenly missed her girlfriend.

 

---

 

“Aigoo, where is that kid?” She searched high and low – mostly low – to find her cousin but to no avail. She was both frustrated and nervous. Sunny will definitely kill her should she find out that she lost her own cousin.

 

She pushed the cart towards the last aisle of the store. She turned the corner but gasped in horror when she saw another figure – a rather familiar one – coming from the other side.

 

She wanted to back away from the aisle but another shopper was blocking her way from behind so she had no choice but to watch Tiffany scan the area for anything to buy.

 

She began stiffly walking and silently hoped to God that Tiffany wouldn’t recognize her from that silly encounter during her first – and definitely last – late night escapade.

 

Just as she was about to breath a sigh of relief as Tiffany walked past her, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Knowing that it couldn’t be anyone but Tiffany, she only slightly turned her head, enough to catch a mere glimpse of the girl from her peripheral view.

 

“Er, miss?”

 

“Y-yes?” Hyoyeon’s voice was shaky.

 

“This can fell out of your cart.”

 

“O-oh, let it be,” she answered without even looking at the mentioned can. “I’ve decided not to take it. Thanks.” She let out a rather weird smile before speed walking away from the person who could probably cause her early death.

 

She turned the corner and hid behind one of the shelves. She held her chest and breathed raggedly. “Oh my gosh. I’m too young to die. At such an unusual place, too. A supermarket? Really?”

 

She waited for her breathing to stabilize before looking for her troublesome cousin again. She cursed under her breath when she felt a body slam onto her back. Thankfully, the cart was in front of her, preventing her from falling face first. Unfortunately though, due to the impact, the cart’s handle might’ve left a big horizontal bruise on her stomach. She groaned, thinking about how ugly that’d look.

 

She faced the culprit and half-squealed, half-growled – no matter how weird that might sound – when she saw that it was the very brat she was looking for.

 

“Where have you been?! I almost died trying to look for you! I went to Seoul to die, apparently!”

 

The teenager remained unfazed at the little outburst as she simply walked over to the cart and placed the cereal box in it. “I told you I wanted to buy cereals but you were too busy looking for the cheapest can of tomato sauce you could find, you cheapskate. And you told me you’d be cooking for Sunny unnie yet you can’t even buy her the best ingredients. I wonder what she sees in you.” She scoffed before pulling the cart away from Hyoyeon’s grip, pushing it ever so calmly towards the cashier.

 

Hyoyeon was appalled. She wanted to say a witty comeback but what her cousin said pretty much shut her up. A minute later, Hyoyeon’s brain finally rebooted. “Did that kid just... Oh hell no!”

 

She stormed her way to the cashier to give her younger cousin some good ol’ scolding.

 

---

 

“Eww, what’s this?”

 

“Shut up,” Hyoyeon groaned as she buried her face on her palms.

 

“Spaghetti without tomato sauce is what it is, Hayeon-ah.”

 

“So it’s basically bland noodles.” Hayeon picked up a string of noodle and grimace. “It’s not even cooked properly, Hyoyeon unnie.”

 

“Shut up now or I’ll kill you.”

 

“You know Hyo, when you said that cooked something special for me that could appease appease my anger when you told me you went out with Hayeon without my permission, I thought you’d actually cook something special. Like steak or something. Not... noodles.” Sunny egged her on.

 

Hyoyeon sighed. “I told you okay? It must’ve been the can that Tiffany told me about in that store. I freaked so I decided to leave it behind.”

 

“Tsk. You stared at that can for more than ten minutes, Unnie, and you left it behind.”

 

Hyoyeon was about to retaliate when an amused voice stopped her from doing so.

 

“Hayeon-ah, stop teasing your cousin. She looks regretful enough. Hyoyeon, it’s okay, dear. I think I can whip up something to eat before everyone dies of hunger.” The woman laughed softly before rummaging the fridge for ingredients.

 

Hayeon stuck her tongue out before running to the safety of the living room.

 

Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out as well only to bite it when a hand pushed her chin upwards. “Ow! That hurt!”

 

“It should!” Sunny hissed. “I told you not to go out anymore and you still did! This is the second time, Hyoyeon-ah. Also the second time Tiffany saw you. You’re lucky she didn’t recognize you or else!”

 

Hyoyeon only looked down. 

 

“Try and go out without my permission again and it’ll be your head.”

 

Hyoyeon gulped then nodded her head.

 


 

*Oreo O’s - please tell me they’re still available somewhere? Anywhere? I seriously love them. I eat them for breakfast, lunch and sometimes even dinner. Unfortunately though, I haven’t seen one being sold here in the Philippines in years (maybe like 2 years or so). SO PLEASE TELL ME THERE’S STILL HOPE IN ME FINDING AND EATING THEM. 

Kakaotalk ID: hwaitaengoo