Chapter 31

Ms. Independent

 

 

She rubbed her uncle’s back, hoping for him to stop sobbing. Her eyes were starting to water too, but she managed to hold her tears back. 

 

She heard the sound of leaves being stepped on and assumed that Taeyeon came back. She looked up with a smile, but it slowly faded when she saw the people approaching the grave. 

 

Her hand stopped rubbing her uncle’s back. Instead, it went around her his arm, gripping it tightly.

 

The man felt the strong grip and looked to his side to find his niece looking slightly terrified. He followed her gaze and soon, he was staring at four pairs of glaring eyes. He pulled Tiffany to stand behind him as the newcomers came closer.

 

“What are you doing here? You’re not welcome here,” one of them said.

 

“We’re only visiting. There’s nothing wrong with that, right?” Her uncle’s voice was as soft as it can ever be.

 

“You don’t have a right to do that. That woman behind you killed my sister. She will never be welcomed here,” the tallest one spat.

 

“She didn’t kill her! What’s wrong with you?”

 

“She did!” One woman hissed angrily, making Tiffany flinch.

 

Her uncle was about to say something when she decided to just pull him out of there. 

 

---

 

She sighed as she recalled what happened yesterday at the cemetery. It wasn’t the first time she crossed paths with her aunt’s relatives after the funeral, but they seemed more hostile yesterday.

 

She decided to push the memory back and enjoy time with her friends and Taeyeon for now.

 

She sipped her coffee and let the warm liquid go down , effectively warming her whole body. She and Taeyeon were picked up from her apartment a little after 6am and they made their way to a McDonald’s nearby to have something to eat before driving to the beach.

 

Everyone was sitting in a circle, quietly consuming their food. That is, except for Jessica, who was snoozing off with her head resting on her food-vacuum of a girlfriend’s shoulder. Taeyeon was sitting beside her, eating her pancakes while trying to keep her eyes open.

 

Cute.

 

She looked around the table and saw Yoona and Yuri feeding each other, mostly Yuri because Yoona finished chewing her food much faster. Sooyoung was gobbling up her food while trying to keep Jessica’s head balanced on her shoulder. 

 

She smiled to herself. 

 

I’m so thankful for these people.

 

---

 

The car ride to the beach was as silent as breakfast. Sooyoung was driving, with a snoozing Jessica seated beside her in the passenger seat. Yuri was listening to some music on her iPod, humming every now and then, while Yoona was resting her head on Yuri’s shoulder, her hands around the older girl’s waist, just staring at the road ahead.

 

At the last row of the van were Tiffany and Taeyeon. Tiffany told Taeyeon to sleep some more, since she had a hard time keeping herself awake during breakfast. Taeyeon didn’t complain as her eyelids were getting heavier by the second. She leaned her head on the window, and dozed off.

 

Tiffany stared out the window on her side. She sighed for the nth time today and it didn’t go unnoticed. Sooyoung looked at her through the rearview mirror. “Is everything okay, Fany?”

 

Tiffany looked up to meet her gaze. “Huh? I’m fine, Sooyoung-ah.” She then noticed Yoona sit up. Yuri looked at the girl with a confused look, but Yoona waved her hand, saying that there’s nothing wrong. Yuri nodded and continued listening to her music.

 

“You’ve been sighing a lot today, Fany-ah.” Yoona joined in their conversation.

 

“Just a lot of things on my mind lately, but I’m fine.” She gave them a small smile to reassure them.

 

Sooyoung focused back on the road. “You know, even if Jessica’s your best friend, you can still come to me if you need someone, right?”

 

She smiled wider. “I know, Soo. Thanks. Thanks, too, Yoong.”

 

“No problem.”

 

Just then, Sooyoung drove onto a crack on the road, causing the car to shake. A loud thud was heard, followed by a groan. 

 

Tiffany laughed as Taeyeon’s eyes slowly opened and her hand went straight up to hold her head. “Ouch. What happened?”

 

Tiffany grabbed Taeyeon’s arm to move her closer. “You bumped your head on the window when we Sooyoung drove over a crack on the road.” She motioned for the older girl to put her head on her shoulder, and Taeyeon did. 

 

She patted Taeyeon’s thigh. “It’s okay now. Go back to sleep.”

 

Sleep she did.

 

Tiffany smiled and looked out the window again, completely oblivious to the wide smiles shared by three observants. 

 

---

 

“Okay, here are the keys.”

 

“Yoona and Yuri.” Sooyoung gave a key to Yoona.

 

“Babe, here’s ours.” She gave theirs to Jessica.

 

“Tiffany...” She gave one to Tiffany.

 

“...and Taeyeon.” And another one to Taeyeon. “There you go guys. Everything’s settled.”

 

The two pairs exchanged knowing glances before slowly making their way to the elevator.

 

“Wait.” The four of them looked back and waited for Tiffany to continue.

 

“Why...” Tiffany didn’t know how to continue. Why... Heck! She doesn’t even know how to continue it inside her head.

 

WHY!

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon was just staring blankly at her key.

 

“Why what, Tiff?” Jessica asked.

 

“Why... um...”

 

Yoona laughed. “Why you two have your own rooms?”

 

Unknowingly, both Taeyeon and Tiffany nodded, earning snickers from the other four.

 

“Why, is there anyone you want to share a room with, Tiff?”

 

Tiffany discreetly shot a glance at Taeyeon, but of course, her friends still caught it. They exchanged glances before Yuri spoke up.

 

“Nuh-uh. The two of you aren’t going to share a room. You’re not even together yet!” Yuri said, trying to hint something so obvious. “Well, let’s go now. I wanna swim!” She put her arm around Yoona’s shoulder and guided her to the elevator. “Sooyoung-ah! Let’s go!”

 

Sooyoung grinned at Taeyeon and Tiffany before grabbing Jessica’s hand and entering the elevator.

 

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany and found the girl looking back at her. They shared awkward smiles before following their friends to the elevator.

 

---

 

Taeyeon grumbled something under her breath when she saw Tiffany walking past her and heading towards the room at the end of the hall.

 

Her room isn’t even next to mine. Great.

 

She felt a pat on her head and saw Sooyoung grinning at her, with Yuri behind. “You know, there’s still the whole day.”

 

Taeyeon looked at her, confused. “Huh?”

 

“Oh come on, Taeyeon. You know what we’re talking about.”

 

She shook her head. “I seriously don’t.”

 

Yuri came from behind Sooyoung. “What? You didn’t even get anything from the hint I gave earlier?”

 

“Hint? What hint?”

 

Yuri shook her head while Sooyoung face-palmed herself. 

 

“Tsk, slow,” she heard someone mutter and turned to see Jessica walking by while shaking her head.

 

---

 

Taeyeon waited for everyone to go into their rooms before entering her own.

 

She sighed and dropped her bag on the floor before plopping down on the bed. She let out a groan. She was sleepy and confused.

 

Worst of all, Tiffany’s room is three rooms down. 

 

She looked at the clock and saw that there was an hour before the meet up time and decided to take a short nap.

 

Maybe I’ll get what they mean when I wake up.

 

She made herself comfortable on the bed and closed her eyes.

 

---

 

She groaned when she heard someone knocking on her door. Aish!

 

She stood up from the bed and lazily walked to the door. She opened it and yawned, not even caring if the person on the other side saw her like that.

 

“Hey, Tae–... Tiff?! What are you doing here?”

 

Her eyes widened at the sound of her best friend’s shrill voice. She blinked her eyes when she saw four pairs of eyes staring back at her with confused expressions.

 

“Didn’t we give you the key to the room on the other side? Why are you here in Taeyeon’s room? Unless...” Sooyoung smirked. “So not even separate rooms can keep you apart huh?”

 

“No wonder you no one answered when we knocked on your door. We thought you went out to walk around or something.”

 

“Turns out, you just went to Taeyeon’s room. Did you her?” Yoona asked with a hint of amusement in her voice.

 

“Yah!” Tiffany shouted and leaned forward to slap Yoona’s arm, only to fail when Yoona stepped back while laughing with the rest.

 

They heard a groan from inside the room and looked to see Taeyeon looking at them with sleepy eyes. “What’s going on?”

 

Yuri butted in before Tiffany can even answer. “Oooh!!! So Taeyeon didn’t even know you were here?” she asked Tiffany. When Tiffany lowered her head, she added, “Very sneaky, Hwang Miyoung. I like it.”

 

Due to embarrassment, Tiffany covered her face with her hands and ran to her room.

 

Taeyeon was still confused about what’s happening and just tilted her head. Yuri, Yoona, Sooyoung and Jessica only smiled at her before Yuri said, “Let’s go have lunch before hitting the beach. Wait for Tiffany okay? We’ll go first.”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

---

 

“So, did you really sneak in my room?” 

 

“Stop it, Taeyeon.”

 

“What? I just want to know.”

 

They were now at the resort’s restaurant having buffet lunch. Tiffany and Taeyeon both came in together a few minutes after the little commotion outside Taeyeon’s room. The older girl had been asking Tiffany since then if she really did sneak in her room. Tiffany has been trying to avoid Taeyeon’s question because it was embarrassing. She was planning to leave the room before Taeyeon woke up, but unexpected – and quite unfortunate – things occurred. 

 

She only wanted to sleep with the girl. Was that so much to ask?

 

She ignored the girl and went back to their table with her plate in hand.

 

“Yah, Tiffany!” Taeyeon quickly scooped up some rice to put on her plate before walking after Tiffany.

 

She sat beside the girl and was about to ask her again when Sooyoung spoke up. “So... beach after this? I mean, yeah, rest for a bit, then let’s hit the beach, ‘kay?”

 

All the girls nodded and quickly finished their meals.

 


 

Not really an eventful chapter but I'll try to update tomorrow or on Friday *ahemTaeNyofficialahem*

Some personal replies:

@gracee-ah: I'm young?? How old are you?? :D

@yUrakagel: Haha mas bata ka ba sakin?? :))

@rese-ky: Yezzir! Pinoy na pinoy! :D

@globalgen247: She will tell Taeyeon maybe next chapter or on the 32nd. How old/young are you? I hope you're not like... 13 or something because that would mean that I'm super old! Haha

@sicazel_28: Lol don't call me ate! :) We're the same age! :)

@molcon: You registered because of my fic? Omg, thank you thank you!