Chapter 22

Ms. Independent

A/N: Double update to appease your anger :D


 

 

This chapter and chapter 21 happens simultaneously.

 

 

She walked out of the conference room and into her own room only to find her two best friends happily chatting in front of her table. She sighed and walked past them to her chair. Jessica and Yoona stopped talking and looked at their friend.

 

“What’s wrong with you?”

 

“I’m just not in the mood right now okay?” She tried busying herself with the stack of papers on her desk. 

 

“Is it because Taeyeon’s not around?”

 

Tiffany didn’t answer, but both Jessica and Yoona knew. 

 

“It’s because of her,” they nodded at each other.

 

“But what’s the problem? Shouldn’t you be used to her not being here?”

 

Tiffany took a while to answer. She wasn’t sure if she should say anything about Taeyeon’s behavior or Taeyeon’s contract. Thinking about it now makes her even more sad. Why oh why does Taeyeon have to leave? Why can’t Sunny leave instead? She contemplated a bit more before letting out a breath. “It’s not that.”

 

“Oh?” Jessica cocked an eyebrow. “Then what is it?”

 

“Taeyeon’s contract.”

 

“What about it?”

 

“Uncle called yesterday.”

 

Yoona was about to speak when Jessica sighed loudly. “You know, Tiff, it will be so much easier for everyone in this room if you just tell us everything in one go. Us asking and you answering with short phrases isn’t working out for me, I’m afraid.”

 

“Fine, fine. So you see, Uncle called yesterday, telling me about Taeyeon’s contract. He said that she needed to sign a new one. He also told me that since I told him before that Taeyeon only needed 3 months to save up for her sister, that’s all he’s giving her. Three months guys. THREE! It’s been a month and a half since she’s been here. That means I only have a few more weeks left with her! Not only that, last night, after I told her, she decided to become mute on me all of a sudden.”

 

Jessica nodded and Yoona said, “I think you should just tell her that you like her before time runs out.”

 

Tiffany’s eyes widened as she looked from Yoona to Jessica. “You told her?!”

 

“Told her what? That you like Taeyeon?” Jessica answered calmly.

 

Tiffany nodded.

 

“It’s not really that hard to figure out, Fany. You weren’t exactly being discreet, so Jessica doesn’t have to tell me anything,” Yoona pointed out. “Anyway, like I said, you should just tell Taeyeon before time runs out.”

 

Tiffany sighed, “But what good will that do? I mean, she’ll be leaving in a little over a month.”

 

Jessica scrunched her face in irritation, “Aish, Tiff, if there’s a chance to make her stay, won’t you take it?”

 

Tiffany looked at her, “Of course, but...”

 

“But what, Fany-ah? Look, the way I see it, it can only go two ways. One, if she likes you back, she’ll consider staying. Two, if she doesn’t like you, which I highly doubt, by the way, you’ll only have to endure a few weeks before she would have to leave. So any way, there’s really nothing to worry about.”

 

“But what if she does like me, but it’s not enough to make her stay?”

 

“It’s still better than doing nothing. Like I said, if there’s a chance to make her stay, you should grab it. God only knows how slow the two of you are.”

 

Tiffany tilted her head to the side, “Huh?”

 

“Oh come on, it took you some time to realize your feelings for her, and I think it’s the same with the midget. You might not notice it but sometimes I think you being her boss isn’t the only reason why she wants to stay with you most of the time.”

 

“Oh?” She was ecstatic to hear what Jessica said, but at the same time, she can’t help but think that maybe her best friend was just saying things to make her confess to Taeyeon. Knowing Jessica and Yoona, that idea wouldn’t be impossible. Call her pessimistic but she just really can’t believe everything easily. 

 

“Yes. I didn’t tell you but yesterday, after eating, she kept on bugging me about going back here. She said ‘I have to go, I can’t leave Tiffany alone again.’ Oh God, I’m telling you, if Sooyoung and Sunny weren’t there to be witnesses, I might’ve killed that girl. She ate so fast, she almost choked. She really wanted to be with you yesterday. That’s why it surprises me now that she was quiet when you were together.”

 

Tiffany sighed when she remembered yesterday’s events. Although she was happy with the information she got, she instantly turned sad when she was reminded of Taeyeon’s attitude the night before. She then remembered something. “Oh! Before I forget. Why didn’t you tell me Sunny’s moving in this fast? It was only yesterday that you told me that she needs to talk to the landlord, and now she’s moving in. And Taeyeon’s helping her!” Tiffany groaned, reminded why Taeyeon wasn’t with her right now.

 

“Ah! Yes, well, after Sooyoung practically cleaned the whole menu, Sunny asked me if she could possibly visit the apartment I told her about since she has nothing to do. Since I wasn’t busy myself, I asked Sooyoung to drive us to your building and talked to the landlord. Surprisingly, they came to an agreement quickly, so there she is now, moving in.”

 

Tiffany groaned again, “Now I won’t have Taeyeon for myself anymore. She’ll probably hangout with Sunny more since they’re living a few steps away from each other.”

 

Jessica shrugged, “You can always allow her not to go.”

 

“You know I can’t do that. Aish!”

 

“Oh!” Jessica clapped her hands, “I almost forgot! I have to give Sunny her spare keys back.” She then looked at Tiffany, “Wanna see what they’re doing?”

 

“Huh? Who?”

 

“You’re so slow! Taeyeon and Sunny! I have a spare key so we’ll have an excuse to go there. Besides, it’s lunchtime so you can go with me. Yoona can come t-... where’s Yoona?” They both looked around the office room and didn’t find Yoona anywhere.

 

“Hey, yo, I’m here. Where are we going?” She was by the door, holding a bowl of popcorn.

 

“Where’d you get that?” Jessica pointed to the bowl.

 

“Oh! I got it from Juhyun. I went out minutes ago when you two were busy with your conversation and I saw Juhyun with Yonghwa. They were watching something Yonghwa made from his computer and I joined in since it was much more interesting than what you guys were talking about. Then I asked Juhyun if there’s food we can eat, she went to the pantry and voila! Popcorn in a bowl!”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes while Tiffany just chuckled and shook her head. 

 

“Anyway, we’re going to Sunny’s new apartment to give her back her spare keys and hopefully...” she glanced at Tiffany, then looked back at Yoona, “Tiffany will be able to confess.”

 

---

 

“I still don’t know if it’s a good idea to confess, guys.”

 

“Why not? If not now, then when?”

 

Tiffany sighed. They were inside the elevator, on their way to her floor, which also happens to be Sunny’s floor now too, apparently. They spent the whole car ride discussing how Tiffany should confess to Taeyeon. While Yoona said she should confess when they’re alone, Jessica insisted to do it as soon as possible while in Sunny’s apartment. ‘Don’t waste time.’ That’s what Jessica said.

 

She finally agreed but as soon as she stepped inside her apartment building, she began having second thoughts. It would be bad enough to have Taeyeon reject her, but to have to go through that with an audience? She doesn’t think she can take it.

 

Just when she was about to answer, the elevator door opened and Yoona pushed her out. She glared at the girl who only smiled in response. 

 

They arrived at the front door and was about to press the doorbell when Jessica remembered the landlord telling them yesterday that the doorbell wasn’t working. Fortunately, Jessica had the spare key. She searched her bag for it and took it out. She inserted it in the keyhole and twisted the door knob. She swung the door open.

 

“Sunny, I have your spare...” She froze at the sight before her. Although she knows that the two are just best friends and nothing more, their position was rather compromising.

 

“Tiffany...” She heard Taeyeon whisper, which brought her back from her thoughts.

 

“...keys.” She was still able to finish her sentence, although the last word came out as a whisper.

 

She glanced at Tiffany who was still frozen. She then caught the girl’s eye flinch and knew what was going on inside her head. She thought about using this situation, and Sunny and Taeyeon position, as a way to tell Tiffany to start moving as time may run out.

 

Yoona, on the other hand, was looking at the scene amusingly. “Well, this is... welcoming.” She smiled widely as she went in the apartment and sat on the sofa.

 

She moved closer to Tiffany and whispered, “So will you tell her now?”