Chapter 15

Ms. Independent

 

 

Taeyeon woke up early in the morning to find her neck suddenly hurting. She shifted and stared at the black screen in front of her. It dawned on her that she fell asleep while the movie was playing. She figured that Tiffany must’ve decided not to wake her up and let her sleep on the couch. 

 

She moved to stand up but halted when she felt something move on her right. She carefully turned her head and saw Tiffany with her girl’s back facing her. Oh, she fell asleep too. No wonder. She smiled before she noticed that her right arm was around her boss’ shoulders. Her eyes widened. She wanted to move but she might wake Tiffany up and she might not be able to explain their rather compromising position. Although it wasn’t really her fault in the first place, she still didn’t want to be caught in that position.

 

She tried thinking of how to move when Tiffany turned around to face her, still with her eyes closed. She observed her boss’ face. It was very peaceful until she heard her mumble something incoherent. She moved a bit closer, trying to figure out the words coming from Tiffany’s mouth but still failed. She frowned, still trying to listen.

 

“Done being a creep?” Taeyeon jumped in surprise and pushed Tiffany away.

 

“Yah!” her cheeks were red in embarrassment.

 

Tiffany smirked. “What?”

 

“You scared me!”

 

Tiffany cocked an eyebrow, “I scared you? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Didn’t know you like creeping on people who are sleeping soundly.” She laughed.

 

“I wasn’t creeping!” she slapped Tiffany’s thigh and pouted. “You were mumbling something and I just wanted to know what it was.”

 

“Sure, that’s what they all say.”

 

“But it’s the truth!”

 

“Mhmm,” Tiffany said and stood up, “Breakfast?”

 

Taeyeon pouted, “It’s the truth, whether you believe me or not.”

 

Tiffany laughed, “Okay fine. If you say so. So... breakfast?”

 

Taeyeon stood up and nodded.

 

“Alright, wash up, then meet me in the kitchen after,” she walked to her room, while Taeyeon did the same.

 

---

 

They were eating while talking when they were disturbed by Taeyeon’s phone. 

 

She grabbed her phone and read the new message. She looked up and said, “Sunny.”

 

Tiffany looked at her and nodded. “How was the apartment-hunting, by the way?”

 

“Fruitless. Some were too expensive while the others were just plain too small. I told her to look some more. I’m sure there are other apartments that are just right for her.”

 

“Ah.”

 

“Uh... well, she asked me if I can come with her today too, but I told her that I might not be able to since I have work.”

 

“Do you want to go with her?”

 

“Yes,” Taeyeon said excitedly, like a kid waiting for a piece of candy.

 

Tiffany inwardly frowned. “Okay then. You can go with her.”

 

“Really??”

 

Tiffany nodded.

 

“But doesn’t that mean that I’m neglecting my work?”

 

“You don’t do much in the office anyway,” she was taken aback at how her voice sounded but didn’t want to take it back anymore.

 

Taeyeon was surprised with the sudden coldness but shrugged it off.

 

“Okay. I’ll come by at break time to give you your food so you don’t have to go out.”

 

“You don’t have to do that. Yoona’s probably coming by to give me food just like yesterday,” Tiffany said. Of course she wasn’t sure if Yoona, or even Jessica, would come by and bring her food like yesterday, but she didn’t want to bother Taeyeon, especially if she’s with another person, another girl, doing another business.

 

Taeyeon frowned, “But you did eat my sandwich right?”

 

Tiffany nodded and saw Taeyeon’s frown slowly transform into a smile. “Good.”

 

---

 

Before Tiffany stepped out of the door and left for work, Taeyeon assured her that she will be there come break time for her food so she doesn’t have to get anything.

 

Tiffany only nodded as she found it useless to argue with Taeyeon.

 

---

 

They were walking across a street, arms linked together.

 

“I’m so happy you’re here Soonkyu-ah. How are the others? How about Hyoyeon? Why didn’t she come with you?”

 

“You know her, always busy with work. I told her about going to Seoul. She said she wanted to go to but her schedule’s packed.”

 

Taeyeon nodded. “What are you doing here exactly anyway? Last time I checked, the company you worked for didn’t have any connections with Seoul. Isn’t it just a small family-owned business? You said the family was happy with Jeonju.”

 

“What’s with the sudden interrogation? Aren’t you happy that I’m here?” Sunny pouted.

 

Taeyeon laughed. “I just told you that I’m happy you’re here right? I was just asking. If it’s something for work, then maybe I can help you with it.”

 

“You already are,” Sunny muttered under her breath but Taeyeon still heard it.

 

“I am? How?”

 

Sunny was surprised that Taeyeon heard but quickly thought of something. “By finding me a suitable apartment. I really need a place where I’d be comfortable enough to work in.”

 

“Ah,” Taeyeon nodded, “so like, they don’t have an office here or anything? You’re working in your apartment?”

 

“Yeah, something like that.”

 

“Well let’s go inside this one and asked if they have a vacant apartment,” she pointed to a tall building and they both walked in.

 

---

 

“Man, that apartment was so expensive! How can anyone afford that?” Taeyeon said while walking out of the fourth apartment building they went into since this morning. 

 

“I know! It’s very hard to look for an apartment here. My hotel bills are sky-rocketing! I need to find an apartment fast!”

 

“Don’t worry, bunny, we’ll find a place for you,” she patted Sunny’s head before continuing to walk. “Hey, how about we eat first before going to the last address on your list? It’s been hours since we had lunch, I bet you’re hungry.”

 

“Sure! I am kind of hungry. Where do you want to eat?”

 

“Hmm...” Taeyeon looked around and saw a familiar café across the street. “There! I know that place. The food’s good there. Let’s go!”

 

---

 

“Is she good-looking?”

 

“Why is that even the first thing you want to know? If Yoona finds it, you’re dead.”

 

“It’s a good thing she’s in the comfort room then,” Yuri laughed before she felt someone twisting her ear. “Ow! Ow! Ow!” she tried to turn her head to look at the culprit and found Yoona glaring at her, still twisting her already very red ear. 

 

“I was in the comfort room but you should know that I have eyes and ears everywhere.”

 

Yuri whimpered as Yoona let go of her ear after giving it one last twist. She turned her head back to the couple in front of them and saw Jessica waving her phone, smirking.

 

Yuri groaned. “Should’ve known.”

 

Sooyoung laughed with Jessica while Yoona rolled her eyes.

 

“Anyway, you should’ve seen Miyoung’s face last night. It was epic! Although Taeyeon never answered my question, I’m pretty sure that Sunny isn’t her girlfriend.”

 

“What’s her relationship with Taeyeon then?”

 

Jessica waved her hand, “Never mind that. I don’t really care as long as she’s not Taeyeon’s girlfriend or fiancé or wife or any of that. I only care about the expression Miyoung has when Taeyeon’s with her. You should have seen her face when I kissed Taeyeon’s cheek! Priceless!”

 

“You kissed Tae-” Sooyoung was interrupted by Yuri. 

 

“So she does like Taeyeon!” Yuri said.

 

“Well, duh!” Yoona said, still glaring at her girlfriend. “She’s only denying it because she doesn’t really know it herself yet.”

 

“Sorry, no need to be mad.”

 

Yoona rolled her eyes, “Whatev-”

 

“Incoming!” Sooyoung shouted before Yoona could finish and pointed to the café’s entrance. The other three turned their heads and saw Taeyeon coming in together with an unknown girl.

 

“That’s Sunny!” Jessica whispered to them.

 

“Why are they together? Aren’t they finished looking for an apartment yet?” Yoona asked.

 

“Maybe not. Wanna call them?” Jessica asked, still looking at the two figures. The others nodded.

 

“TAEYEON!” 

 

Taeyeon looked around the café when she heard her name being called and saw Yuri waving her hands frantically. She grinned and grabbed Sunny’s hand to drag her to her friends’ table.

 

“Hi guys!” She greeted them.

 

“Hello, Taeyeon. Why aren’t you in Tiffany’s office?” Jessica asked although all four of them already knew the reason.

 

“Oh! This is Sunny, guys. This is Yoona, Yuri, Sooyoung and you already know Jessica,” she told Sunny before facing Jessica again, “I’m just helping her find a new apartment. We’ve been looking for one since yesterday, but no luck. Tiffany allowed me to go with her, so no worries.”

 

“Oh, alright. Well, order your food and come back to this table,” Sooyoung said. 

 

---

 

She checked the time and saw that it was only a few more minutes before break time. She unknowingly smiled. She decided to do some more work to let time pass.

 

A few more minutes passed and she couldn’t stop looking at the clock. It has been 10 minutes since the start of break time but still no sign of Taeyeon.

 

A knock on the door was heard and she looked up in anticipation. Juhyun’s head popped in. She was slightly disappointed but decided not to let it show as it might hurt the younger girl.

 

“Ms. Hwang, I’m going for a break. Do you want me to bring you anything?”

 

She shook her head and smiled a little at her dongsaeng. “It’s alright Juhyun-ah. I’m fine.”

 

Juhyun nodded before closing the door.

 

Tiffany was a bit hungry, truthfully, but she wanted to wait for Taeyeon because the older girl might get disappointed if she doesn’t eat what she brings.

 

She got back to work, only to keep looking at the time every minute.

 

She continued doing so until she saw that break time was over. Her shoulders slumped in disappointment but quickly thought that maybe Taeyeon was on her way.

 

An hour passed and her stomach growled. She sighed and got up to get food from the cafeteria.

 

She came back 15 minutes later holding a sandwich and a bottle of juice. She walked in her room, half-expecting to see Taeyeon there or at least a paper bag of food, but she was greeted by nothing but more paper work.

 

She huffed as she thought that Taeyeon must’ve forgotten about bringing her food. She couldn’t blame the girl, although Taeyeon did say that she was coming. She blamed herself for even expecting too much that the girl would come. She munched on her food and got back to work.