Chaelin, the problem solver

Love me the Same

Christmas advertising campaigns fail miserably to show reality. Of course this is to be expected of something created with the specific goal of selling things. Unfortunately, knowing that doesn't make Jessica feel any less annoyed with the happy family in the Coca-Cola commercial. She doesn't need to see couples drinking soda and acting like life is perfect.

 

It may be her fault for not meeting society's expectations, but she doesn't see how a romantic relationship is so important in someone's life or why it is a concern for her family. She expected that having a successful company at age 31 would be enough for her parents to be proud of, but that is not the case. Nobody cares about anything but the fact that even the youngest cousins ​​are already getting married while she hasn't had a boyfriend since university.

 

And of course, no one understands her point of view, making her feel bad about complaining. It's always the same excuse of "Your family is just showing that they care about you." or "They don't want you to be alone and unhappy.". As if the absence of a relationship was a reason for suffering, and romance was the only way to have people in her life.

 

Don't get her wrong, she loves her family and other than the occasional comments about her love life they don’t have any issues, everyone was always incredibly supportive and loving. Jessica just likes to keep certain things private and her love life or lack of life is one of these things. Jessica had already accepted that it would be another year spending the holidays at her grandparents' house away from the city, trying to pretend that she is not sick of having relatives getting into her life. It is unpleasant but it is nothing that she is not used to, after all this has been happening for at least 10 years and it only got worse when her younger sister decided to come out to the family and introduce her girlfriend.

 

She is happy for her sister, it's great to know that nobody in the family is homophobic and she can only imagine how Soojung must have felt when everyone accepted her uality and her girlfriend. Jessica honestly believes that it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that her parents like her sister-in-law more than they like her, she has to admit that Victoria is someone very easy to like and cannot even judge her parents for it.

 

A little over a year after Soojung came out, her cousin Eunbi also started dating a woman, and much like Victoria, Yerin is already part of the family. Just as she was thinking of Eunbi she gets a call from her.

 

"Eunbi?" Jessica says in a surprised tone, she doesn't remember when it was the last time she got a call from her cousin.

 

"Unnie, I'm getting married!" Eunbi shouted as soon as her call was answered.

 

"What?... wow ... Congratulations?" Jessica doesn't know how to react to this, Eunbi is the youngest of her cousins, only 22 years old. "Who made the proposal?"

 

"It was Yerin, of course we had already talked about it," Eunbi left out a little squeal, a sound that Jessica never thought she would hear from the girl. Yerin really did destroy her tsundere act, "but I didn’t think she was going to do it now."

 

“Have you told Soojung yet? She will be excited.”

 

“Not yet, I'm going to call her now. I wanted to tell you first, after all it was thanks to you that I met my future wife.”

 

"I was just lucky to have her as my intern, I couldn't imagine that a few years later she would officially join the family."

 

"Lucky or not, we will be forever grateful." Eunbi clears before continuing, "That's why we want to call you to be my maid of honor."

 

"Eunbi-yah, it will be an honor." Jessica feels her eyes watering, she may not be interested in relationships, but nothing would make her happier than being part of something so special in the lives of two people she loves as much as Eunbi and Yerin.

 

"Really? We were afraid you wouldn't accept it. ” Eunbi replied with relief.

 

“Hwang Eunbi, how can you think that about me? Of course, I accept to be your maid of honor.”

 

"Yerin will be very happy to know."

 

"And you can tell her that the bride's clothes are going to be exclusive Blanc & Eclare designs. As long as you both want it, of course."

 

It takes a few minutes for Jessica to convince her cousin to accept the offer and they end the call. Eunbi still wants to share the news with more people. Only then does Jessica realize how it will affect her situation.

 

Holiday celebrations are the only time when the whole family gets together, it involves her grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, sister and three cousins. Usually at least Soojung or one of her cousins ​​doesn’t take their partner with them and she has someone to keep her company, but this year Victoria will not be able to go to China to spend Christmas with her family and with her engagement Yerin decided to join them to celebrate. 

 

Kyung Ho and Sooyoung got married a few years ago and it is impossible to see the two separated, each year they alternate between spending the holiday with his family or hers. This year they will be at the Jungs as well.

 

Wheein and Siyoung got married earlier this year, initiating the "Even your 25 year old cousin is married, when will you?" comments. Soojung and Victoria don't seem to be interested in getting married, but they have been living together for 3 years. And now with Eunbi's engagement she can only imagine the kind of comments she will hear. This year, Jessica will be the only person in her family who is single, and she will have nothing but couples around her during the holidays.

 

There are still 3 weeks to go before she needs to meet with her family, it is enough time to find an excuse for not attending. She can’t say that she is stuck at work since they know that she gives two weeks off to everyone in her company every year. Not having a boss to use as a scapegoat can be frustrating. Maybe she can pretend she got sick, that could work.

 

Jessica needs to leave plans of escaping aside when her assistant brings a project that requires her approval before the team can continue working. The next half hour is taken up with reviewing everything and making the necessary adjustments.

 

"Chaelin, can you come back here after you deliver the documents?"

 

"Sure. Something wrong?" 

 

"Not exactly, I just need advice on something personal." Jessica says without looking away from her computer and Chaelin raises an eyebrow at the sudden behaviour from the boss.

 

Chaelin returns about 10 minutes later with two cups of coffee and some cookies, Jessica invites her to sit on one of the chairs in front of her desk, she always appreciates how much her assistant takes care of her.

 

"Okay, you can tell me your problems now."

 

"As you know, every year I spend the holidays with my family and their comments about me not getting married and not even having a boyfriend."

 

Chaelin nods, already used to hearing her boss complain about how much the family tries to interfere with her love life.

 

"Are they trying to get you to go on a blind date again?"

 

"No, no, that's not it." Jessica sighs, "At least I hope they gave up on this ridiculous idea."

 

"What is it this time then?" Chaelin asks with more interest as she picks up a chocolate chip cookie.

 

"Eunbi got engaged, everyone is going to be with their partners this year leaving me as the only person alone."

 

"Wow, this is not going to be fun."

 

"So I need help, I have to find an excuse to not go."

 

"Jess, I know you too well to support that idea." Chaelin changes position on the chair to make eye contact with her friend, "You love spending time with your family, I can't let you be alone and depressed here just to avoid unpleasant comments."

 

"But I will not survive a week among so many couples and hearing the same questions and comments from my family."

 

"I know it's not ideal, but we both know that you would regret not going."

 

Jessica groans and rests her forehead at her desk, "I know, but it might be better to regret my decision than having to go through this."

 

"What if you take someone with you?"

 

"I think you forgot about the part where I've been single since I broke up with Tyler."

 

“I haven't forgotten,” Chaelin shakes her head, “I was suggesting that you take a friend. It won't be so bad if at least you are not alone. ”

 

Jessica is silent for a while considering the suggestion, it doesn't seem like a bad idea, having someone to keep her company would make the experience more pleasant.

 

“Okay, there's only one problem. I don't know anyone who doesn't already have plans for the holidays.”

 

"This really is a problem, if I could I would go with you."

 

"I don't think I hav ..." Jessica is interrupted when her assistant claps excitedly.

 

"I have a solution!"

 

"You do?" Jessica asks incredulously.

 

Chaelin picks up hercell phone and starts frantically searching for something, not even bothering to answer the question, after a few minutes she seems to find what she was looking for and hands the device to Jessica.

 

When she starts reading she can't believe this is the supposed solution to her problem. It's a tweet from a certain Tiffany Young with the following content:

 

"I'm alone in Korea with nothing to do for Christmas, maybe I should rent my time out to someone lonely and wealthy."

 

"Is your idea that I hire an to spend the holidays with my family?" Jessica questions returning the phone.

 

"She is not an ." Seeing Jessica's expression, she decides to explain it better. “Tiffany is a friend, I have known her for years. I'm almost sure the tweet was a joke, but she really doesn't seem to have any plans and if I introduce you to her I think she would accept to accompany you. ”

 

"It doesn't seem like a good idea and honestly, it's a little humiliating."

 

“Of course it's a good idea. Tiffany is also an American, I bet you guys will get along.”

 

"Yeah, because anyone would be excited to hear the proposal to spend Christmas with a family of strangers." Jessica replies sarcastically.

 

“Jess, trust me. I will talk to her and if everything goes well I will give her your number and you guys can work out the details.”

 

Without even giving Jessica time to refuse, Chaelin leaves the office. She can only hope that Tiffany is a little more reasonable than her friend and doesn’t accept this terrible idea.