Plans

Midnight Lullaby

 

BANG BANG BANG!

 

Youngbae groaned in annoyance at the loud noise. Opening one eye, he peeked at his open bedroom door with a direct view of his front door. Who could be here at this hour? 

 

BANG BANG BANG!

 

This time it was much louder. Youngbae let out another loud groan and grabbed a nearby pillow, smothering his face with it. Apparently, that was the wrong move.

“I swear Youngbae if you don’t open this door, I’m going to break it down!”

Removing the pillow from his face, Youngbae sat up groggily and wiped at his eyes. Perhaps getting up before the ridiculously loud banging started up again was a good idea? He swung his legs over the side of his bed, putting on his slippers. As he approached his front door in a slow manner, the voice could be heard once more, “Last chance, Youngbae!”

 

“Aish! I’m coming! I’m coming!” Youngbae grouchily let out, twisting locks and swinging the door open. Standing there was his manager. “Gonna let me in?” The words came across too chirpy and sarcastic for this early in the morning. Instead of answering Youngbae just widened the space, signalling for him to walk in. “I see what you’ve done with this place. Looks nice. Much better than it was when you first came back after your mom decorated,” his manager laughed.

 

“Did you really come all the over here to speak about my current display of housing arrangements?” He didn’t mean for it to come off as crabby as it did, but he couldn’t take back the tone he used. “Grouchy are we this morning?” his manager smirked. Nevermind, Youngbae didn’t egret his tone at all. Letting out a sigh, Youngbae sat down on the coach, “What do you need, hyung?” “Do I need something to come visit my precious Youngbae?” The responding deadpan look spoke more than words ever could. “Ok, fine. Yes, I do need something…”

 

Youngbae leaned back on the couch. “Nothing big!” the manager reassured, “Just a few little favors that need to be checked off…” That perked Youngbae’s interest. “Favors? What favors do I owe?” His confusion amplified when instead of answering in his usual confidence, his manager looked nervous, wringing his hands. “Yah, hyung, just tell me,” Youngbae said, this time more softly as one would a child. “My little daughter is having her fifth birthday…” “That’s great, hyung! Congrats!” “Well, um thanks,” he once again returned that nervous smile.

 

“But what does that have to do with me?” Youngbae asked. “Well, you see, we had reserved a venue in the Floral Ponds just outside the central park near our home; however, yesterday night a fire had been started, most likely by a careless employee smoking…”

 

“Goodness, hyung,” Youngbae exclaimed, genuinely pained by the loss of such a beautiful place. “It wasn’t all that ruined. Much of it is salvageable, but the area we reserved…”

“It’s not,” Youngbae finished. His manager nodded his head solemnly, “I tried to get another spot, but they were all booked or way too outside our price range. There’s always next time, huh?” The bitter smile didn’t look right at all on his normally chirpy manager. Youngbae wanted to ask why he had come to him of all people, but he didn’t have to when his manager continued speaking, “Anyways, I just needed to ask you if I could take this next week off, I’m trying to see what else I can create in place of the Floral Ponds.” Youngbae had heard enough.

 

“So, that’s it?” It was spoken with slightly risen anger, and his manager looked shocked at the development. Youngbae couldn’t believe him. They had been with each other for how many years? Sacrificing, working, growing together and this is why he comes to him? “I can’t believe you’d ask me that!” His manager looked so confused at Youngbae, “What do you mean, Youngbae? So it’s a ‘no’?” 

 

“A ‘no’? Why come here and ask for that? We are friends, are we not?” His manager had a wide-eyed look at him. Youngbae let out a sigh, and continued, “She wanted flowers, right?” He nodded his head. “And you can’t make a reservation because of expenses and/or reservations?” Once more, his manager nodded his head. “Well, then. That settles it! I’ll just pay for the extra expenses.” Youngbae smiled, thinking he solved the issue at hand, but his manager gave him a stern look, “Now we aren’t going to do that. You know how I feel about asking for those things as you feel about giving them out.” Seeing Youngbae’s frown, his manager explained more kindly, “Youngbae-yah, we both know that you’re a giver by heart, but I’m not going to get into your mind like that. Not like the others. I promised you that I wouldn’t be like that. We both promised each other.” “Hyung, it would be just once!” “But it’s never just once, is it Youngbae?” The sad look his manager gave him made Youngbae uncomfortable, like he could read him like an open book. 

 

“I know your heart and that’s enough. But I won’t let you start off on this slippery slope. A slope we both know that has put you in many...unfortunate situations. Please, let’s not do that to our friendship. I don’t want that shadow of a doubt, those thoughts to ade your mind. It happens to my wife more often than naught. I can’t have it happening in both aspects of my life,” he chuckled good naturedly. “I want to help, hyung. I do,” Youngbae wouldn’t let this go. His manager never asked for anything from him, not like the other BIGBANG’s managers did to his bandmates. He knew he had an upsetting and sad history tied with him and his managers… or well, with all his relationships actually, minus his closest friends and family. But he knew his manager was different. 

 

“Fine,” Youngbae knew he wouldn’t budge on this matter, “Then, what do you propose we do?” His manager looked thoughtful and for several minutes they bounced ideas around. “This is going nowhere,” his manager spoke. “It would go much easier if you just let me pay…” A sharp glare his way shut Youngbae up. As Youngbae looked outside, he saw the sun rays bouncing off his intricate windchime. Ah, I need to check on my flowers outside, Youngbae mulled over in his mind. Wait, my FLOWERS?!

 

“Hyung,” Youngbae spoke excitedly, and his manager wondered where the sudden excitement came from. Giving him his attention, the manager listened as Youngbae spoke, “So, you won’t let me pay for the Floral Ponds, but what if we change the scenery altogether?” “And just where would we go?” his manager asked. “Here of course!” Youngbae exclaimed like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Here?! At your house?! Your PRIVATE home?! No way. No.” Youngbae actually pouted at the instant refusal of his idea. “Hyung, it makes sense. Hear me out. You need flowers, a garden-like environment? Then what better place than an actual garden? Not like those artificially grown plants that look too perfect to give off any real indication that it’s real, much less a garden. How much more magical would it be to have her birthday in a wispy, homey space like here? How gardens are meant to be seen. Full, bright and up close.”

 

Youngbae knew he had him now. His manager and him had made their way outside as Youngbae had been speaking. As his manager’s gaze surveyed the garden, he smiled, “Alright.”

“Alright? Just like that? No arguments or nays?” Youngbae was teasing his manager, and his manager just hugged him, “Thank you, Youngbae.”

 

“Of course.”

“When should we start?”

“When’s her birthday?”

“Um tomorrow...”

“TOMORROW?! Why didn’t you say so earlier! What time?”

“About noon.”

 

Youngbae could feel his anxiety running high, “Ok, calm down,” he told himself, “Hyung, you take care of the party itself with all its necessary components. I’ll take care of the venue, the garden.” “Aye Aye,” his manager said with his confidence returning. With the plans made, Youngbae set to work, and his manager left with the phone pressed to his ear.

 

“Hello, my little ones, how are we today?” Youngbae spoke softly as he watered each bush of flowers, “We’ll be having visitors tomorrow afternoon.” He got no response like he usually did, but it didn’t stop him from talking, “A little girl’s birthday. She’s a sweet one, a daughter of a close friend. Let’s make sure her party is one to remember, ok?” 

 

As the hours ticked by, Youngbae went fast at work cleaning his house inside and outside, then focusing the majority of his attention on his beautiful garden. As dinnertime approached, Youngbae decided to make preparations as the host of tomorrow’s party. He walked inside, but stopped short when he heard a small shrill. He turned around and saw nothing. It probably was a bird, he thought and continued to head inside for his shower. Closing the door, many small heads peeked behind petals, gazing intently. 

 

A soft glow surrounded the flowers and a light melodic sound could be heard right above a whisper. Then, came a soft reply, barely recognisable over the gentle breeze of the wind:

 

“Will do”

 

 

 

 

a/n: This is more a filler chapter than anything, so it's a bit short. I thought we needed some space in between the introduction of the Fairies and when Hyorin actually meets Youngbae. So bear with me. I'll make up for it in the next chapter ~ upvotes and subscriptions are always appreciated, but comments are better.

 

Live well,

Sol_Mundi