Chapter 1

Romance for Pay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae’s POV

 

My alarm blared loudly signaling a fresh new work day, I stretched as I let my stiff bones crack from sleep. I smiled happily; ah time to go to work. Why would anyone be happy to go to work?

Well, first and foremost; I love my job entirely and I happen to enjoy being my boss' personal assistant. Second, my boss is Lee ing Donghae— living breathing god with the most beautiful toothless smile and thin kissable lips that are so pink that you’d think he has some kind of tinted lip balm on. And third; it's just my boss entirely; he's an amazing CEO and an amazing person. I sighed as I willed myself to stop daydreaming about Lee Donghae again. I hopped into the shower and got ready since my perfectionist boss didn't really appreciate tardiness.

 

*

 

I smiled at every co-employee I pass by, my hot strawberry latte on one hand and an 5Americano on the other. "Good morning, Hyukjae-hyung! Here are today’s business proposals from different companies. Please make sure Mr. Lee reads through them." The head of Business and Finance department, Ryeowook say as he handed me a semi-thick transparent folder.

I smiled at the petite man before taking the folder with my free hand,

"Will do, Ryeowook-ah. Any specific deadlines I should know about?" I asked, knowing Mr. Lee would ask about the deadline right away.

Ryeowook gave a chuckle,

"Ah, you know Mr. Lee too much already Hyukjae-hyung. Anyway, three proposals are due in 2 weeks while the other 4 is due in a month or so. Mr. Lee also has a meeting with us by 10 am, so please do let him know once he gets here." Ryeowook said with a smile before waving and exiting the top floor which contained Mr. Lee's wing.

I checked the time, 7:45 am. He'll be here in about 15 minutes. I settled all the files on top of his table checking the due dates so I stacked them by deadlines. I placed his Americano down with a napkin underneath it to avoid soiling the table.

I went to my desk, just a few meters from my Boss' table and began checking his schedule for today on our company tablet. I took a sip from my latte as I plugged my Bluetooth earpiece into my ears, blasting a ballad song by my indie singer best friend, Kyuhyun.

As I began confirming some schedules and checking off files that has been signed and approved, the elevator doors opened to reveal the CEO himself in his sharp black suit with his glasses perched on his sharp nose. I stood up to give a bow as he smiled softly,

"Good morning, Mr. Lee. All of your proposals for today is on top of your table, all arranged by due dates. Your coffee is already at your table also." I said softly as he went pass by my table,

"Thank you, Hyukjae-ssi. Diligent as ever. How about meetings? Or conferences?" He asked as he sat down on his CEO chair, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose as he took his cup of coffee taking a sip.

"You have a meeting with Mr. Kim regarding the financing for the annual Tempus Corporation Gala." I said as I double checked the email Ryeowook had forwarded minutes ago regarding their agenda.

Mr. Lee nodded instantly, knowing how important the gala is. I've heard and seen videos, news reports, and photos of it and well, it was grand. And I was really excited to take part in it ever since I landed this job as a fresh graduate of Business and Finance in Seoul University, a university funded by the man across me.

"Are you going with a date?" Mr. Lee asked me as I broke out into my daze.

"Huh?" Was my intelligent reply as I furrowed my brow.

Mr. Lee cleared his throat, his eyes still focused on the documents as he shifted in his seat,

"Employees are allowed to bring non-employees on that night. As dates." He said, his eyes scanning the proposal. "And well, I thought you'd want to bring your girlfriend." He finished.

I chuckled,

"I am very much single, Mr. Lee. And I really don't swing that way. But, I may bring my Best friend. He's an indie singer." I suddenly said, forgetting that I was speaking to my boss.

He raised a brow, his eyes no longer on the documents but looked directly at me. I blushed suddenly finally figuring out that I just told my boss that I am gay, I swallowed the lump in my throat as I broke our eye contact. ‘Stupid, Lee Hyukjae!’ I mentally cursed at myself.

"I-I'm sorry, Mr. Lee. I-is it disturbing?" I asked suddenly shy about my ual orientation.

I heard Mr. Lee chuckle,

"Absolutely not, Hyukjae-ssi; my hyung is married to a man, and besides — I don't swing that way either."

My mouth gaped as I turned back to my boss who was now staring directly back at his documents. I blushed as I fidgeted in my seat.

"So, about your best friend, is he any good? At singing, I mean?" He suddenly asked out of nowhere as the awkward silence ate us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter