Epilogue

Behind You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
     “Uncle, why are we here again?” Taeguk stared at the huge sign read ‘Yonsei University’ in large blue font. There were many students scurrying around. But there many who were leisurely strolling and chatting. Jungkook took his eyes off the sign and gave Taeguk a raised eyebrow and something clicked to her. “Oh…Auntie first day of school.” Jungkook nodded knowing Taeguk was his partner in crime when it came to Youngni.       “Are we following Auntie around like last time? Can’t we go say hello and stay with Auntie? I don’t want to hide again.”      “Shh….” Jungkook bent down and pucker his lips in embarrassment. Taeguk put her index finger to her lip and whispered an apology to him. She scanned her surrounding to make sure no one else heard what she said. Jungkook patted her head, how adorable was she? The child never failed to amuse him.        “Uncle, how are we going to find Auntie this time?” Taeguk studied the humongous campus and countless students. Jungkook gave what she said a second thought. Taeguk was right. Last time, Chaeyeon gave them her schedule, so they were able to follow her around on her first day of college. However, today, they were lost like a first-time college student. Jungkook puffed out his cheeks, why didn’t he thought of it through before inviting Taeguk to go chase her Auntie around? Taeguk tugged on Jungkook’s hand, when she noticed students were passing in groups whispering, shoving each other, and filming them.      “Uncle, they are taking pictures,” Taeguk pointed at the students, who all immediately smiled and bowed as Jungkook glanced over. Jungkook shyly greeted them with a bow. The female students’ fangirl mode was triggered upon his acknowledgement. A chorus of oowhs and aahhs mixed into the breezy air.      “They are not Auntie,” Taeguk frowned after scanning a few of the students. Jungkook knew they were not Youngni. He wondered if he would ever get to see her fangirl for him.      “Uncle,” Taeguk tugged his hand when he paid her no attention. Jungkook then ignored the female students and focused. “I know where,” he picked Taeguk up and hurried away.        Gingko trees were planted at the end of both side of a two-way sidewalk. Taeguk’s eye stared in amazement, the trees were beautiful at its truest color. Autumn was the perfect time to be around them. They take one’s breath away. Taeguk suddenly started scrunching her nose as a strong smell hit her nose. “Uncle, it stinks,” she covered her nose with the crease of her arm. Jungkook nodded as he was scanning the students walking by.      “What are you doing?” Jungkook confusingly looked at Taeguk, who was sniffing his ripped blue jeans.      “It smells like…Daddy and Uncles. After running,” Taeguk pulled away to look up at Jungkook. She was scrunching her face to prevent the odd odor from entering her nose. Jungkook let out a heartily laughed. It must have been the gingko trees that reminded Taeguk of when they exercised. Chaeyeon often scolded them when they hung out too long after working out and not showering right after. They couldn’t be blamed. Sometimes, good food and a good laughter was needed after a hard workout.        “Oh…I remember,” Taeguk suddenly recalled why Jungkook brought them to the pathway of the gingko trees, “Auntie was walking here last time.”      “Smart, Little Taeguk,” Jungkook patted her head and pulled her along the pathway. He hoped she would walk this path on her first day of school again.        He grinned. His instinct wasn’t wrong. At least, when it was in relation to her. “Taeguk, I see your Auntie. Let’s surprise her,” Taeguk started scanning but she didn’t see anyone like her Auntie, but she trusted her Uncle as she obediently ran to keep up with his long stride. His smile never faded through his short walk to her. Her long hair was curled. Black hoodie. Short blue jean. A pair of high-top Vans. And a black backpack on her back. If he guessed correctly, earphone must be in her ears. For a moment, he was intrigued with her back that he forgot the tiny being he was holding. He was bewitched. His pace too fast for the little creature. Taeguk had been trying her best to keep up with him.        Jungkook appeared to her left, used his arm to swiftly pull out her right earphone and plugged it in his. At the corner of his eyes, he saw her astonishment. opened, then closed when she saw who stood beside her. That’s right. She must be stunned at how he appeared like magic. The handsome person she must want to see.      Sometimes, he wondered where this confidence came from. The confidence when he was around her. He was bolder with her than with anyone. She must lead him on, lead him to believe that she wanted something more. That, at least, was a good reason he found to be so daring. Things he does when it came to Oh Youngni fascinated him.        When the earphone tugged out of his ears, he stopped walking. He turned behind to find she stopped a few steps back. He shyly smiled knowing he couldn’t just appear without an explanation.      It had been past a week since he saw her up close. She became even more dashing. How he missed the girl in front of him. Her selfless personality. Her endurance through hard times. Her clumsy self that rather take embarrassment than say no. Her easy-to-please and easy-to-forgive nature. No one else. Just her, Oh youngni. He missed her.    
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter