our differences

the familiar melody
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N POV.

I stood outside the apartment door, pinning in the password. Jisoo decided to give me the password, because she was tired of opening the door every time. I probably sleep here more than I sleep at my actual home, it’s ridiculous. It’s my escape place, whenever Jennie and I fight. 

 

“I know you’re not asleep yet.” I said, as I entered the apartment and threw myself on the couch. The house was unusually dark, and quiet, Jisoo doesn’t sleep this early. 

 

“I’m standing over here.” The voice could be heard in the kitchen, almost giving me a heart attack when I turned around and saw the dark figure. 

 

“At least turn on the light.” I sighed and reached for the light switch. Jisoo gave me a deadpanned look, what she usually does when she wants an explanation.

 

“We fought.” I simply explained. 

 

“Oh really? No wayyy!” She purposely covered , acting as if she was shocked. I rolled my eyes at her sarcastic remark. Jisoo continued to stare at me, urging me to continue. 

 

“Same reason as always, she got mad after finding out that I changed my shift to the night shift. Started accusing me of avoiding her and cheating.” I groaned and laid on the couch, my body was about to die on me. I didn’t even get to take a break during work. We also immediately got into a fight when I came home, it’s dreadful.

 

“Aren’t you doing that to avoid her though.” Jisoo voiced, knowing that she was right, I remained still and chose not to speak. “Where did it all go wrong for all of us?” Jisoo silently muttered before heading back to the kitchen to pour us some wine. 

 

I sat up and stared out of the window, studying the city-lights that were lighting up the night. Wanted to just go shower and rest, but my leg refused to cooperate. Chuckling at myself before starting to reminisce about the past. 

 

My family was neither poor nor rich, but when I was six, my parents business failed. We had to sell our house and company to pay off debts, it was a depressing period for my parents. The Kim were nice enough to take us in, and offer my parents jobs and a place to stay at their mansion. My father became Mr. Kim secretary and my mother became the head maid. The place was where I met Jisoo and Jennie. Jennie Kim, the only daughter of the Kim, she was extremely spoiled and was always showered with love. Jisoo Kim, her cousin Jennie, started living with the Kim at a young age when both her parents died in an accident. She was the total opposite of Jennie, Jisoo was more humble and kind.

 

When I turned seven, I learned of the situation through my mom, and about how we owe the Kim our lives. I was forced to take martial arts lessons at a young age, to protect Jennie. I was her shadow, everywhere she went I had to be there. Jennie had a somewhat damaged personality, she was possessive, obsessive, and clingy. I didn’t like her at first, due to my lack of understanding, I blamed her for days I would get punished by my father. He was a harsh man, but was very devoted and grateful toward our saviors. I would get punished for objecting Jennie, or failing to protect her. As time passes, I learned to accept her personality and understand that it was my duty to be her shadow. 

 

“She was always so fond of you.” Jisoo said out of nowhere, she offered me a cup of wine and I gladly accepted.  

-

(flashback)

“Hi there, I’m Jennie Kim, the princess of this palace.” The little girl said to the six-year old Y/N, they were the same age, but Jennie was much shorter. 

 

“I’m Y/N, nice to meet you.” Y/N shyly extended her hand for a handshake, but Jennie gave her a disgusted look before swatting her hand away. 

 

“I know, my parents told me about you. You’re my new servant.” The kid stated proudly, Y/N only stood there in confusion, but chose not to defy the girl.

-

“Because I’m an item belonging to her, that no one can touch.” I chuckled at the statement, it was the truth. 

 

“You were the only one that she protected, though. You were definitely favored by her.” Jisoo stated, as if it was the obvious. “I mean...isn’t it obv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter