You were so beautiful, I couldn't stop staring

In My Eyes

You’re staring again. You know I hate it when you do that, right?

No, I don’t. Actually, you used to love it before.

 

8 AM

“Hey hey look at them aren’t they cute together?” Jihyo said as she sneakily hides behind a wall. Mina stealthily peeking through and crouching, copying Jihyo. “How many times has it been this week? Also, it’s 8 in the morning and he’s already confessing?!” Jihyo looks at Mina, quickly raising her index finger bringing it to , signaling Mina should be quiet. Jihyo sighs, as she scoffs and rolls her eyes “well better get to it quick so no one else steals her from him? That is just how young love works, girlie” Mina stands up from their ‘hideout’—the backyard garden of the school building— patting the dust off her skirt, she groans “I can never understand these people. Who would do that that’s embarrassing” Jihyo follows Mina’s lead and proceeds to water the plants in the garden “ehhyy at least we get a front seat in watching people confess here every day!! Consider it a perk of being part of the gardening club!!” Jihyo comments as she notices the kettle is now emptied out and places it back to the storage room “Why do we even call it a club for Christ’s sake we’re in college, Ji!” Mina exclaims, a disgusted look on her face, as she puts both her hands to her hips “Do you hate the world? Miss? Quit complaining isn’t it almost time for your first class? Let me go with you I need to stop by somewhere near there” Jihyo teases. Rolling her eyes, Mina followed Jihyo, slouching her back while pouting, jokingly upset at her best friend’s snarky remark.

 

Jeongyeon lets out a big sigh of grief. She as a culinary major, out of all people, should know when to take out the smores from the oven when baking. She takes it out from her bag expecting a miracle happened overnight and it magically turned out good. One look at that burnt-almost-inedible-looking object was enough to make her stop believing in miracles. As she took a bite it was—as expected, burnt. Regret. She was shocked and regretted every single decision she made in life as she choked on it and started punching her chest. Suddenly a girl shouted, Jeongyeon sees a small figure running towards her  “YA YA YAAA HEYYY YOU ALRIGHT? GIRL DO YOU NEED WATER? Oh god hold my bag Mina!!!” Jihyo took the water bottle out from her bag and gave it to jeongyeon who’s now on the floor still trying to cough out the burnt hopefully edible sweet.

[Bell rings]

“oh god I need to get to the lab quick look you done with that, right? Right?” Jihyo crouches down to Jeongyeon’s level, patting her back, trying her best not to let out a huge laugh. She doesn’t know why but something about this girl she’s never even met makes her want to for being in such a hilarious situation. “Uhh I’m guessing your silence is a yes since you’ve literally EMPTIED out my water bottle anyway? I can’t believe grown people like you still-” Jihyo couldn’t even finish her sentence as she couldn’t stop herself from laughing any longer so she stops herself and just grabs the empty plastic water bottle and her bag from mina and starts sprinting to where she’s headed and giggly shouted “hey mina! stop standing there all frozen again you’re gonna be late ! Bye!”

And Mina realizes. She watched it all happen like it was at the speed of light how this girl just suddenly stopped behind them and choked. She wasn’t irritated. She wanted to laugh out loud actually—seeing how Jihyo was about to, too—But was just too shocked at how everything happened at once. Her friend frantically searching for the water bottle and this girl just glugging it all up like it was nothing and crushed the bottle instinctively as if she was about to throw it in the non-biodegradable trash can. As a member of the ‘gardening club’—or so Jihyo called it (she prefers the term, GTA—green thumb association, sounds like one of the game she plays), biology student, and an environmentalist, she found that crushing-the-plastic-bottle act quite… y. But this tall, short black haired raven is standing up on her knees again and so she brushes these thoughts aside.

“THANK YOU FOR THAT” Jeongyeon screamed to the short girl with brown hair tied in a ponytail who is now running towards…the cafeteria? Jeongyeon looked at the ground squinting and seeing her smores crushed. ahhh well I guess it’s the powerful being up above or something telling me it’s not a good idea to give this to momo, she thought with a dispirited look casted on her face. Suddenly realizing that the bell already rang, Jeongyeon quickly stood up and started sprinting towards the entrance of the college building.

Mina took notice of this too as she started tiny running just behind the woman wait what number was my room again? 204… 206…208…ah!! There it is!! Face quickly lighting up as she saw her classroom’s room number. As quickly as she was relieved to reach on time, entering the room, her heart started beating fast again as she saw the woman from earlier. They were both standing up while the class was seated. The teacher looking at them.

“May I get your names?” She sternly said as she checked her classlist.

“Yoo Jeongyeon” “Myou Mina”

The girls answered. The lady just looked at them for a very long time. Examining them, wondering as to what they did to arrive at the same time and both gasping for air. But that was none of her business. “okay, I assume you’ve read the modules so let’s get on with the exercise quick. If you have any questions just call my attention”

The girls got this as a signal to go to the nearest seats available to quickly hide the shame they felt for being late.

And They Were Seatmates. The first thought that entered Mina’s mind. Remembering that old vine where a random passerby was talking loudly to her friend on the phone and this dude copied her and—anyway it was funny, Mina thought. Little did she know she was unconsciously smiling to the thought of that vine, not realizing that she was already the focus of the class.

“Anything funny, miss myoui?”

“Ah no miss I’m sorry for that i-” she stuttered as she’s totally not a fan of being the center of attention. all that she could do now was to bow down her head and keep quiet. Thankfully, the professor just let out a sigh continuing with the lecture. But she noticed how the girl beside her—oh wait she said her name was Jeongyeon, right? —couldn’t stop giggling after she was called out by the professor.

 

And so just like that Mina’s 3-hour class on Speech and Communication just ended. Until know she can’t help but wonder why this class is required for everyone attending the university, pretty sure she already learned everything you could learn about communication in high school. She noticed her seatmate, that girl she found y earlier standing up and so she stares… It’s a regular thing for Mina to observe people—not specifically people but her surroundings, rather. She barely talks to anyone in the university other than her old friends in high school, Jihyo included, so she took this habit of watching her surroundings and eyeing them. She watches her as she looks for her phone placed in the back pocket of her tight skinny jeans. It’s illegal to look that hot while reaching for your phone who let you ma’am Mina mentally gasps. She prepares to get ready too, remembering she had to meet with Jihyo at the café(teria…but the two best friends like to call it café to sound like a sophisticated college student—totally opposite from their current broke lifestyle). “Ah hey babe? Yeah classes just finished. You’d like to meet there? Gotcha.” It’s Mina’s first time hearing her speaking voice other than the whole giggling-almost-laughing-at-mina-because-she-was-called-out-by-the-professor thing that happened earlier. It was also the first time she realized that this Jeongyeon girl probably had a girlfriend or boyfriend.. I guess… I won’t judge. She mentally took note of this as she walked out of the room. Ahh so she has someone, oh well thanks for that short span of happiness random pretty girl we found choking in the middle of the walkway <3 Mina thought. This feeling wasn’t new to her. She had a lot of crushes even back in high school but she never said or did anything about it, just loves to watch them and observe how lovely they were from afar.

After walking excruciatingly for 10 minutes just to get to the café, she finally arrived. Trying to look for Jihyo, she saw a familiar tall figure again. Maybe she was just deep in thought while walking but it seems that Jeongyeon was actually going to the cafeteria too. She saw her open her arms and walking towards another girl while having the brightest smile she could ever see so drawn perfectly in such a small and cute face. Oh so it really was a girlfriend… heh I knew my instincts were right. It’s another win for us, lesbians. She thought, smirking. “Yo… that’s actually creepy don’t do that Mina” Jihyo interjects while holding a tray with plates filled with boring cafeteria food, Mina’s eyes rolling as she quickly knew who it was. “Shut it, Ji. You wanna sit there?” the blonde haired girl said as she went towards an empty table for two. Jihyo follows her, still carrying the tray “We’ve been friends for almost half of our lives. I know what that looks means young lady.” Mina holding out the chair for her friend as she sits on the other one. “Anyway, Ji—” “Anyway you’ll be in charge of watering the plants later afternoon, ‘kay? I want to play with the girls?” Jihyo cuts Mina, smiling from ear to ear and making her eyes look big like a puppy asking for a favor food. Mina scrunches her nose, smiling, and nods “They miss us, you know. It’s been a while since we’ve played together.” Mina stretches out her arm towards Jihyo’s far shoulder “I know, Ji, I know. I’m miss playing football too and the girls of course but— I’ve been feeling this state of… whatcha call it.. nonchalance? Lately. I just want to be as free as I want without thinking about anything” Jihyo paused her chewing, looked at mina wide-eyed like a realization but with a hint of concern for her friend. “You—oh god Mina, if this isn’t a call for help because you still haven’t been in any relationsh—” The blonde girl quickly put some of her food on to her friend’s plate. Looking at Jihyo with widened piercing eyes “Eat. Ji. You need to eat.” She says as she quickly turns into a smiling princess but with a gaze intense enough to say shut it or I’ll kill you. “You’re one scary witch you should know that” “And so should you my dear friend”

The day passed and it’s afternoon. Mina is on her way to the garden as she heard voices coming out near the place. She hides near where Jihyo and her hid earlier in the morning. It’s where they usually go since it’s The Blindspot for people going there to confess to their crushes. God this is a university why do people do this. Don’t they know there’s literally a whole garden here being tend to by people any time of the day. She just planned to hide and play games on her phone while waiting for the whole romantic event to happen. She wouldn’t want to become the star of the show when they suddenly hear her pouring water over the plants.

I hate you. Yoo Jeongyeon. You’re always like this. So ing dense.

That was deep. Words that cut through mina’s heart even though it wasn’t directed at her. Wait haven’t I heard that name before? She finally decides to peep through the thin wall and see two women standing near a wooden bench, a huge tree hovering over them. She couldn’t make a clear face out of the other girl, but she had a full bang, black hair tied up in a pig tail. There she also saw a deity—No not a deity, it’s just Jeongyeon. Just because we’re near the forest doesn’t mean she has to be this majestic nature goddess, Mina. She battles herself but is quickly drawn back to the pair’s conversation.

So you’re telling me I’ve been sending all these signs and you haven’t gotten a single hint? Not one bit?

Mina look’s at Jeongyeon. In that moment she felt like she connected with her. Knew exactly what she was feeling. The feeling of hurt and dismay. She was not angry—rather, she was sad. Mina never wanted to come out of the blue and just hug the tall girl, make sure the pain she’s feeling was all gone. Not until this very moment. Jeongyeon just looked at the other girl, pain painted in her eyes. Trying to look for something, an answer to all her questions, maybe. Mina doesn’t know—more like she doesn’t want to assume too much as she’s never even held a single conversation with her but is already feeling this deep, weird connection with her.

This is frustrating. I’ve had enough. I just think we don’t see eye to eye anymore.

Jeongyeon tried to reach for her girlfriends hand, but the other girl avoided it, pushed it away.

“This is just an obstacle, okay? We can get through this together, please? I’ll make sure to change I can be who you want I promise”

Mina felt Jeongyeon’s words. She couldn’t almost stomach it. The way she said it in such a sad tone, almost as if she’s at the edge of breaking down. Mina was never one to be invested in a confession or breakup that happens within the…endless corners here in the school garden. Not even one to watch romance movies (she likes the action and zombie ones) but she can’t stop observing.

Here, take your apartment keys. I’ve already taken everything little by little anyway. The fact that you never noticed says a lot, Jeong.

“Will this really be the end of it? No explanation, whatsoever? Please, Momo.”

Mina sees tears start to roll down Jeongyeon’s eyes. Like an angel, fallen from heaven, stripped off its wings. A sudden surge of emotions rushes through Mina. So much for that nonchalance talk with Jihyo. She returns her mind to the plants and waters them carefully, making sure not to make any sound, and leaves the garden.

She felt heavy on the way home, that afternoon. After that whole depressing event, she still had to go back to the biology lab to prepare some stuff before leaving. Seeing Jihyo smiling and playing with their football friends on the field somewhat made her happy, at least. I guess I’ll have to play with them soon. The thought crosses her mind but soon dissipates as she sees Jeongyeon right by the bus’ waiting shed, sitting, looking down on the ground. The thought of being there for her enters her mind. She stopped walking and ponders on it for a bit but ended up just staring at the girl. After 10 minutes the bus arrived and Jeongyeon hopped in. Yep this is for the best, she reasoned, and went home.

Sleep wasn’t really the top priorities of her body that night, it seems. The scene on the garden keeps on replaying and replaying in her mind. She never felt this way about a person before. Pretty sure she’s just imagining things—worse, romanticizing a heartbreak.

Damn I’m cruel (Am I)? But rather than me, what about her? Is she okay? Oh god I hope she is I hope I had her number and make one of those late night talks people do when someone’s sad like that Korean drama Ji made me watch. I’m insane (Mina you’re insane) you just saw her choke on…what was that charcoal looking thing—food?—anyway you saw just saw her this morning(But it was funny plus Ji helped her). Didn’t even notice her the whole month since you’ve started college(Well you were kind of sleeping with open eyes in all your classes like some cultic devil). Why make it bother you now? Plus you’ve seen countless of couples breakup there (although she is the best looking so far) But she doesn’t know me—she didn’t need my help. (I should’ve at least taken the courage to talk to her before getting on the bus) ENOUGH!! WHY ARE MY THOUGHTS SO LOUD?! For a shy and soft-spoken girl like me is this really normal (yes. Yes. It is you’ve been like this since you were in elementary, honey.)

The night was long and Mina’s bedroom was filled with incomprehensible thoughts, for now.

End Notes:

Yes!! You've reached the end. Yup I warned you I'm not a writer lmaooo but please! if you have any reactions to this story just comment below or better yet interact with me on twitter!! @secretyjy <<< this is the account I'll use for writing. I actually have a main but I'm too shy to say it to anyone since I'm not confident in my writing capabilities lmao. Any suggestions on how to write better would be very much appreciated! Just seeing people read this will surely melt my heart. Let's see each other on twitter, bye for now!

PS:

any opinion on my story is very VERY much welcome! i wanna know what you guys think, I won't bite. Thank you! <3 This was already in Ao3 but i decided i could reach more people if i post it in here too ^_^ have a nice day