The Encounter

When We Were In Love (우리 사랑한 동안)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

University of Melbourne, 2010

When I arrived at college, I was nervous. I picked up my room key and began hauling all my boxes and bags into my dorm. It was just me as my parents has just left. Or so I thought. I had no idea there was a korean girl down the hall who felt just as nervous as I did. I had no idea there was a girl down the hall who felt just as disoriented as I did. I had no idea there was a girl down the hall who would soon become my best friend, my girlfriend. But there she was, unpacking her boxes just a few rooms away. Here in Melbourne the dorm system for students uses "Co-ed housing," where male and female students share the same floor, has long been part of the college dorm experience. However, sharing the same room with differrent genders is prohibted. Hence, that's how I first know her existence.

     On the first day, of orientation week. I felt a little scary because the university is too large, plus it was a foreign country for me. I suddenly felt so lonely then i had met her in the hall, freshmans were told to gather here for briefing, we accidentally sat together, it was hard to think that she became best friend of mine because the first time I met her who had not created many impression on me, she looked very simple but she talked very frankly and loudly and probably she was a stubborn person and hardly close person. That was all what I thought about her in the first met. Luckily, the next days, she made me totally change my negative thoughts about her at first. She was really active and humorous, she always made contentment everyone, moreover in the learning, she had a high sense of responsibility, these things had made her become more special in the eyes of me, she is good-hearted, I liked her characteristics. Also, she was clumsy, dumb at times and really cute. 

     I remember how I first plucked up my courage to engage a conversation with her We actually met less than an hour after I arrived on campus. And by met I mean that we briefly exchanged names. I’m not sure if that introduction really counts, because I had to ask herabout three more times before I could remember her name on my own. Ko Moon Young. Regardless, I met her for real after the orientation week finished at the library. She was sitting by herself at a study table, and I sat down with a couple of friends I made at another table just a few meters away. I remember thinking, “Wow, this girl is really funny, I wonder how its like to date her. I’m so glad she lives on my hall.” But, even then, I had absolutely no idea how important she would become in my life.

     I saw her the next morning, I actually asked her to tutor me on Physics. It wasn't that because I was bad at that subject, I just wanted to see her. Unfortunately I thought she'd be nervous meeting me however I was the one really nervous, but you still thought I was pretty cool. After all, I am good looking, and a good looking person are inherently cool, right? There was something about her which tried to pull my heart right out of my chest. She was average tall, fair and had a polite smile on her face. It was her eyes sparkling like a lone star in the dark sky, deeper than the deepest of the oceans, brighter than the beam of a full moon. Face as soft as the wings of a fairy looked richer than a land which reaps wine even if it was sown of poison. Her smile had a catastrophic influence on my heart, giving me a hard time to breathe.

   I've never seen such a dork with a beautiful face. Well not entirely a dork, she was also the top

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter