final (part two)

The Exchange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Whatever you and Hayoung did, I’m going to need you to undo it. Like, immediately.”

 

Sooyoung’s attention shifts. She drops a varied load of love letters onto the shelf and pokes her head out of her locker, confused as her eyes meet a stern, and frankly scary, Naeun. “Huh? What are you talking about?”

 

The girl glares at her. “Oh, quit the dumb act, Sooyoung. This isn’t funny! I should've known you two were up to something, considering how weirdly sane you both were yesterday.”

 

The younger girl feels a rage bubbling inside her. “Well, perhaps if you cared to explain before throwing accusations at my face so early in the morning, Naeun, I’d be able to decide whether to laugh or not.” She crosses her arms. “What exactly have I done?”

 

Naeun groans loudly, pulling the girl by the arm as she storms them down the corridor. “Ow – what the hell? Hey, stop that! You’re hurting me—“

 

Sooyoung’s sentence dies at the very tip of her tongue. A rush of awe and confusion strikes through her; frown forming at her lips as she watches Eunji hug Joohyun from behind, arms wrapping around her waist a little too intimately for liking, their not so quiet laughter filling the room, completely unaware of the eyes and whispers around them.

 

And as if that wasn’t convincing enough, Eunji proceeds to plant a peck on the older girl’s cheek – Joohyun a blushing mess as she giggles.

 

“What... the ?”

 

“Exactly. You cannot look at me straight in the eyes and tell me that that is not weird.” Naeun utters, finally letting go of the girl. “And it’s the same for the other two – Bomi and I saw Seungwan with Chorong this morning…. kissing!”

 

“What?!” Sooyoung gasps, looking completely scandalised. “Okay, but you’re going to have to give me more than just brief details. Are we talking about with tongue or without, because we all know no tongue technically doesn’t count—“

 

It wasn’t the best time or place to joke, Sooyoung herself knew that, and despite her whining, she had actually expected the slap on the arm she received from Naeun. A nervous laugh escapes as Sooyoung dryly swallows the lump in , feeling a (half) sense of accountability and shame burning right through her. 

 

This, whatever’s happening, is not what she had envisioned. Sure, her and Hayoung planned to play a little role in quickening the pace with things but… 

 

It wasn’t supposed to turn out like this.

 

“Fine, okay…” Sooyoung stabilises her breathing. Then she adds, “Okay, so you may be right.” Her eyebrows are almost touching, unable to look away from the duo, still trying to process what’s happening in front of her. “Definitely… not funny.” she finally concludes.

 

“Yeah, not in the slightest." Naeun bites out. "Now fix what you two idiots started.” She walks off then, leaving Sooyoung to simmer in her guilt.

 

 

•••

 

It’s been a pretty weird morning for Eunji.

 

Weird because it’s Valentine’s Day — an event she usually doesn't waste time in cringing at, the day of pinks and reds and heart shaped items and three-worded confessions — and somehow, somewhere and sometime along today's craziness, Bae Joohyun is her girlfriend now.

 

She isn’t sure what had rushed through her the minute she woke up from her tangled bedsheets, disoriented and very much distracted with thoughts of Joohyun, but she felt a constant urge pulsing through her, pushing her to disclose her strong feelings for the older girl, thoroughly convinced that today was the perfect day for it.

 

It was everything she didn’t expect to come out of a confession. There was a lack of nerves and rambling, red rose firm in hand, too short and perhaps even too straightforward, and to make things even weirder, Joohyun had given her an answer before she even managed to finish her sentence.

 

(“I… really like you too, Eunji.”)

 

Eunji doesn’t think she’s realised it much before, unsure if it was the silly lovestruck tradition getting to her head, but Joohyun had never seemed more beautiful than she looks today. Long black hair spilling past her shoulders, skin clear and seemingly glowing, wearing a pearly smile so bright that the younger girl has to look away to hide her blushing.

 

It’s weird, Eunji thinks. She almost reminds her of someone else. 

 

The younger girl brushes off the thought, sending Joohyun back a grin. She clasps her hand, “I’ll walk you to your class.”

 

“Aw,” Joohyun cooes and squeezes her hand, “My girlfriend is so sweet.” Eunji’s insides squirm at the unfamiliar term. 

 

Bae Joohyun is her girlfriend now.

 

The older girl must’ve felt a slight shift, because she asks, “Hm? Are you okay?”

 

Eunji is quick to reply. “Yeah, no, I’m fine! Just… I can’t really believe it.”

 

“Believe what?”

 

“That someone like me somehow managed to make you their girlfriend.”

 

“Wow, you really have a way with words, don’t you?” The older girl rolls her eyes, giggling. “Sounds like something Son Seungwan would say.”

 

The comment rolls out so naturally from Joohyun, that it surprises herself. The syllables of Seungwan's name escaping her lips tingles at the nerves of , leaving her a little confused. She chuckles nervously and rubs her thumb against the younger girl’s hand to distract away from the subject before Eunji can notice anything.

 

Conversations with Eunji fly by quicker than she expects – both girls enjoying each other's company, joking and playful. It's comfort

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter