final (part one)

The Exchange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’re doing something about it, right?” 

 

The cafeteria is louder and chattier than usual today – students dispersed all around on each table in their respective cliques. The arrays of pinks and reds colour the room brightly, decorations and hearts of all sorts spread across the walls.

 

It doesn’t take a fool to know what day was coming.

 

Hayoung looks up from her sandwich and Sooyoung is seated across from her, looking at her with pleading eyes. Naeun peers over from the side, curiously, “And what are you two scheming again?” 

 

Hayoung shrugs. “I actually have no idea this time.” She turns to her friend, “What are we talking about, sorry?”

 

“Hayoung,” Sooyoung whines, stopping her from taking another bite of her food. She earns a pout from the girl. “Hello? Did you forget this whole morning with the four oblivious fools? What else?”

 

The description, though minimal, is almost immediately recognised and makes the table erupt with laughter.

 

“Oh please, how could anyone ever forget?” Yeri snorts.

 

Hayoung even smiles, before snatching back her sandwich. “Consider yourself lucky you don’t have biology with them! It was like watching the fifth episode of some drama show where the leads are clearly in love with each other, but both are frustratingly dumb enough to not do something about it.” She takes a hearty bite, continuing with a full mouth, “Now, multiply that by two and you have Chorong, Joohyun, Eunji and Seungwan.”

 

“You might want to chew first, Hayoung.” Seulgi teases, Bomi and Namjoo laughing beside her. “Though, I have to agree. I was sitting right between Joohyun and Seungwan and…”

 

“Oh, they were even worse today! I barely processed recombinant plasmids because all I could hear was their giggling.”

 

“Eunji kept riling Chorong up during class too – you know, because she enjoys the reaction.”

 

“Oh, believe me, I know. I swear, I think at one point those four were studying each—”

 

Sooyoung raises her hand. “Um, okay, gross? I’m going to have to stop you right there. I don’t even want to hear the end of that sentence.”

 

“Yeah, save yourself while you can. To think we’ve endured this for two ongoing years…” Hayoung says, with a shake of her head. “Oh, and Sooyoung? To answer your question, yes. We will be doing something about it.”

 

The sly smile that follows from Sooyoung is all Hayoung needs to know that she’s all in.

 

“Here we go again,” Naeun rolls her eyes, shuffling away from the two. “I am not participating in any of this.”

 

•••

 

A casual invitation to a gathering at Eunji’s house normally doesn’t affect her so much, but for some reason, today is different. 

 

Chorong doesn't think she's ever been so nervous before in her entire life. It doesn't help that Eunji has been nothing but clingy all day – interlocking their fingers as they talk, pinching the baby fat in her cheeks, cupping the shape of her chin with her palm – and as much as the older girl likes it, her heart feels like it’s going to burst into confetti every time Eunji so little as sits beside her.

 

Joohyun could say the same. Seungwan is going to be there too, and all she could think about was the girl’s eagerness, wide smile painted across lips that makes her go weak in the knees, when she had said, “You’re going too, right? I’ll be lonely without you,” before linking their arms. The older girl’s ears were burning red all day.

 

The two friends look at each other’s reflections in the mirrors of the girls’ bathroom.

 

Boy, did they have it bad.

 

“I hate them so much,” Chorong groans, tidying up her bangs. “They know what day it is today, right? They have to – that would explain why they’re being so… so—”

 

She doesn’t finish her sentence, too flustered by everything, but Joohyun knows.

 

“Chorong… I’m scared.” she admits, hands gripping onto the sink. “Are we overthinking this? What if it’s not the right time? What if I stutter and say something wrong? What if everything goes downhill and she doesn’t talk to me after? I don’t even know if she likes me back, for heaven’s sake!”

 

The brunette bites her lip. “Me too, Hyun. I mean, Eunji and I tease each other a lot, but that’s… considered friendly, right? Platonic even? Sometimes, I even feel like I’m the only one feeling things – like I’m the only one who wants something more.” They share a worried look, before Chorong blurts out, “Should we just… not go?”

 

If it were any other day, her friend would have agreed in a heartbeat.

 

“No, I...” Joohyun watches water drip from the tap, shyly playing with her fingers. “I already promised Seungwan I’d go tonight. And Rong, didn’t you tell Eunji you'd be there too?”

 

“I mean, yeah, but we can make up an excuse? Sorry, can’t make it - my dog is on the verge of dying and I need Hyun for moral support.”

 

Joohyun frowns, “You don’t have a dog. Eunji knows that.”

 

“It was just a suggestion! I don’t know.” Chorong whines, starting to feel nauseous from her overwhelming thoughts. “No, no, maybe you’re right. Maybe… it’s time. You know – to stop running away from it.”

 

Joohyun’s gaze softens. “You really think so?”

 

“Yeah… yeah, I think so.” 

 

Joohyun leans in for a hug, relief rushing through the both of them as soon as she settles in her best friend’s arms.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter