Part 4

Rumor is Just a Rumor

Words remarkably spread really fast within the school.. well it’s an all-girls school anyway so it’s kinda make sense why any kind of news, rumor and such could spread out easily..

Well this time, it didn’t bring any merit, but the opposite of it. From the short commotion between Momo and her friends—when Momo tried to defend Mina from all the misunderstanding, those words spread into the whole school within days.

Because of that, people somehow saw mina in different way. usually no one dare to look her in the eye nor even replied her polite greetings. But since they knew all those shady rumors about her was all wrong, everyone could reply the same warm and polite gesture Mina showed to them.

At first… it was quite surprising for Mina. she didn’t get a forceful smile or people bowing 90 degrees on her and flee.. instead, she got a warm smile and got greetings from her classmate before she even greeted them. this change of attitude is more like… weird for her? Getting attention from this many people a little unusual for mina….

It’s indeed a good thing that mina’s rumors had been cleared up. Although the truth is, mina didn’t really care much about how others changed towards her.. well she wasn’t even wanted to clarify those false rumor at the first place so this change of attitude wasn’t really something that she would celebrate.

Not that she wasn’t feel grateful with it.. it just all those sudden attention from people who she didn’t really know who, a little bit too overwhelming for her. not to mention some people—momo’s fans to be exact, kept asking her things about Momo or asked her to help them getting to know momo better.

Those people started asking this to mina because one, Mina could make the timid cry baby Momo stood up for her and Momo even rose her voice in front of her friends.. that’s indicating how close Momo and Mina is.. Not to mention some people had seen Momo’s Mother hugged Mina when she picked momo from school. lastly, the most important reason… Momo’s friends are unreachable.. no one really dare to talk to them.. Nayeon and sana is a little bit protective at Momo. Dahyun might be reachable but somehow the sharp daggering stare from tzuyu scared them (although actually she wasn’t even threw a glare.. she just looking at them..)

Because of those reasons, Mina started to hide every lunch time and prefer to go to secluded place so she can enjoy her lunch without anyone bothered her. Interacting with many people drained her.. greetings other, its wasn’t that draining.. talking and hearing those girls fangirling over Momo? yes. VERY draining.. So min chose to hide..

Mina never knew the outcome would be like this.. and yes.. some side inside her, prefer to be the outcast so she won’t have this overwhelming attention from strangers.

If one thing that she wanted to feel grateful and happy about her rumor being cleared, was the fact that she and momo could interact normally now. They would exchange greetings, talks in between lessons, and other usual interaction. Although Mina still politely decline Momo and friends’ offer to eat lunch together or even hang out after school, but momo respected that and won’t push her to do so.

 Oh right.. Mina and momo’s friends already made up. Nayeon apologized to her too, although it’s a little bit hurting her pride but still.. Nayeon is actually a nice girl despite she has queen-ish slight diva traits inside of her.

But, although they already made up and cleared things up.. for mina, hanging out with momo’s gangs is a little bit too much. It drew too many unnecessary attention and Mina ain’t too comfortable with that. She had lunch with them once and those murmurs and stares she got from people around her, made mina always flee away whenever Momo’s friends invited her.

And that happened to today.. Once the bell rang, Sana tried to ask Mina to eat lunch together with them. But before Sana even reached Mina’s desk, Mina already flee away out of the class with her lunch box. Sana tried to call her and wanted to run for her. But Momo managed to stop her.

 

Because of that, now sana was sulking.. once again disappointed at the fact that she couldn’t invite Mina to eat lunch with them.

 

“Why mina never want to eat with us…?” asked Sana

“She probably hate us..” Said Dahyun

“Yeah. Thanks to a certain someone who pulled her collar in front of the whole class.” Tzuyu said that while throwing sharp glare towards a girl on Sana’s left. The other followed, except Momo and the girl who none other than Nayeon.

“Hey in my defense, I just acted up after hearing the story that you, Sana! You’re the one who told me those lies and convinced me that Mina bullied Momo.” protested Nayeon

“I just told you the same exact story like how Dahyun and Tzuyu told me.”

“No you’re not. you spiced thing a bit.” Said Tzuyu

“HAH! Now whose fault is it???” Nayeon were acting a bit childish at Sana, yet Sana could only frown and pout

“It’s still you Nayeon. No one told you to do violence.” What Tzuyu said, made Nayeon and Sana tilted their head towards her and later they yelled,

“Whose side are you on!”

 

and that loud yelled from Sana and Nayeon finally bothered Momo.

 

“God.. you guys are so noisy… can we just have lunch peacefully?” Protested Momo. But neither Sana nor Nayeon care about it.

“Momoring, did mina ever tell you who she hates? Nayeon, right??”

“No! it must be her right??”

“No one.. How many time should I tell you that the reason she didn’t want to eat with us, isn’t because she hates us or anything.. She just preferred to eat by herself.. just respect that..”

“You sure? She didn’t hate any of us?” asked Dahyun.

“No..”

“Not even Nayeon? if I was her I definitely would.” Said Tzuyu

“Yah!” and that made everyone laughed.

 

“But she seems so lonely eating by herself..”

“Hey being alone doesn’t mean she is lonely.. some people might feel more comfortable like that… Now now. can I get my peaceful lunch? if not then.. I might go away like mina.”

“Okay okay stay.. we’ll just eat.”

 

Well apparently, Dahyun didn’t want Momo to eat peacefully yet since suddenly she remembered some rumor she just heard from few classmate. Learning from her mistakes, she needs to at least cleared this with momo.

 

“Oh wait.. I just remembered. I heard something new about Mina.” Said Dahyun

“not this again…” said momo

“No no no! Wait this is not something like that. This rumor is actually has some evidence! And… since you’re close with Mina, I want to clarify it from you first..”

 

Hearing that, Momo decided to drop her chopstick  and listen whatever Dahyun about to share. The rest? Well.. they love gossips so they did the same like Momo and focused fully on dahyun.

 

“I’m not really that close with her but spit it.”

“So.. earlier, some of our classmate told me a rumor about Mina having a crush on someone.”

“MINA WHAT????“

“sshhhhh!!!! You’re being too loud!” said Dahyun, controlling her loud friends.

 

or more like controlling Sana’s and Nayeon loud voices. Tzuyu just showed her surprised by her expression and Momo? Well.. she just froze. Didn’t know how to react or how she should react.

 

 “Who is it? Who is it??” asked Nayeon

“well they said she has a crush on…. You, Momo. She has a crush on you.”

 “wait. Weren’t those girls the one who told you about Mina bullying Momo?” asked Sana

“Yes. But this time, they were somewhat sure about it.”

“Weren’t they said that too back then?” asked Sana again

“True… But hear me out first. Those girls said that they always saw Mina secretly staring at Momo from a far.. either in class, or in cafeteria, or even when we’re in the gym. They also saw how she laughed secretly when Momo making a scene in class, and other thing.. Before the rumor about mina being a mafia’s daughter and her bullying Momo being cleared off, they thought Mina was keeping an eye at Momo so she wouldn’t spill a thing. But after things were cleared, they realized those stares were.. care.. Mina always have this dreamy and soft stare towards momo and well.. i.. Kinda saw it once and that might be true..”

 

Right after Dahyun said that, everyone shifted their sight towards Momo and just looked at her—waiting for her responds. But what they saw.. was.. rather new view. Yes they knew Momo is a shy person but this shyness? The way she was playing with her chopstick, a suppressed smile, and tint of reddish blush on her face. Something fishy here.

 

“So, Momo.” Momo hummed at Dahyun called. But she also sounded like she startled from the sudden call and it just made the girls felt more suspicious at her.

“Your thoughts about the new rumor?”  Those girls went closer towards Momo—keen for her answer

“I… uh.. I don’t know about it so I can’t clarify anything.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.. like I told you. mina and I aren’t that close. Yes we spend times together, short one, and sometimes we chat too.. but she never tell me those kind of thing or even hinting me anything about it. so… I don’t know whether it’s true or not.”

 

The way momo rambled those words without even looking at her friends’ eyes, again made the girls suspicious.

 

“don’t you feel anything?” asked Dahyun

“What? who?? me?? no! i.. I don’t have that kind of fee—“

“I don’t mean that way.. Don’t you feel something different with the way she act towards you? Like she is waay too caring, or waay to kind or.. maybe she treats you differently from the others?”

 

Dahyun’s question immediately made momo remembered how Mina usually treats her. Warm smile, gentle gesture, sometime she , sometimes she laughed at her and being playful with her. All Mina do is taking a good care of her and being so kind at her. And what happened in infirmary few moment back then, where momo saw Mina’s vulnerable state that the latter never shown to anyone... yeah.. maybe few second ago kinda lied to her friends.. There might be something differ—

 

“Hey.. Momo? hello?? Are you there?”

“Uh sorry I spaced out.. what were we talking about again? ah right about Mina.. uh well..uh.. maybe? I don’t know… I’m not sure. she just.. Like usual I guess.”

 

There were a pause after Momo said that. Nayeon, Sana, Dahyun, and Tzuyu just stay silent and observed Momo. analyzing her responds and her gesture.  Momo did feel those stares.. But chose to ignore it.

 

“You’re suspicious Momo.” said Sana

“Yeah… wait.. don’t tell me.. you really have feelings for her too?”

 

And that question just switched on Momo’s panic mode

 

“What?? Me?? N-no! no no no! No! I’m not. I don’t have any feelings for her. Me? hirai momo? falling for someone? Psh.. Na-ah! we’re just.. friends! yes..  stop making things up please!”

“Quite defensive I see.” Said Nayeon,

“God.. Listen okay. In my opinion, that rumor is nonsense. There is no way someone like mina has feelings for me. secretly staring at me with dreamy and soft look? That sounds straight out from romance movies. And then you guys assumed or more like accused me have feeling for her?? you guys are weird.”

“Wait, sana and nayeon are the one who made wild assumption about your feelings on Mina. But I’m not.. I have real evident.” said dahyun

“You’re the same! You don’t know mina at all but started believe those words and then summarized something out of the context.. not cool.”

 

The fact that once again momo being unnecessarily riled up and got irritated with this thing, made Sana and Nayeon threw a smirk that Momo knew so well the meaning behind it

 

“Ugh.. you guys just love gossips. Okay! you know what,” Momo suddenly packed her lunch box like she about to go somewhere and while doing it she said, “I’ll ask her now and proof YOU that those things are just rumors.”

“You’re going to meet Mina now?”

“Yes.”

“What if it’s true? That she has feelings for you?” Nayeon’s question Made Momo paused a bit but stood up, ready to leave

“Sh-she wont! I told you the reason why.. a-anyway just wait and see. bye” and after that, Momo stormed out the class and went to the place where mina usually hid.

 

The moment Momo left the class, Nayeon, Sana and dahyun hovered closer towards each other and started their discussion slash gossiping.

 

“Momo definitely have feelings for Mina.” said Nayeon

 “Noo.. I just think that she was surprised it’s a normal responds I guess. But I bet Mina really has feelings for Momo.”

“I’m with Nayeon. She is acting way too weird and way to awkward than she usually is.” Said Sana and then she countered Dahyun’s arguments by saying,

 “And someone like mina? liking Momo? well.. Momo isn’t bad but they’re just seems too different and I don’t think Mina could have feelings for her.”  

“True. And I think Mina probably prefer a hardworking and diligent person. I mean she always stayed in school longer just for doing homework or reviewing some lesson right?” Said Nayeon, backing up Sana.

“No no no. those are just your judgmental and wild assumptions. In my opinion, Momo the one who definitely won’t have feelings for Mina. we’re talking about Momo here! Her standards is HIGH—Not that Mina is low standard, but Momo’s standard is waaay higher than it supposed to, until the extent that no human like that even exist.”

“Well. This debate could go longer than it should. Let’s just end it with a bet then. The loser will buy an ice cream for the winner?” asked NAEYON

“Deal.” said Sana and Dahyun

“You Tzuyu? Which side are you on? Mina in love with Momo, or Momo in love with Mina?” asked Nayeon

“How about mutual?” Answered Tzuyu

“Eeeeeeeeeeyyy.. that’s impossible..”

“well.. if I’m right, all of you owe me an ice cream.”

 

That conversation ended there and they finally start eating their lunch.

><

On the other hand..

 

All the way through Mina’s location, Momo stomping and grunting aggressively. She was so worked up even when she called mina to ask her location, she was rather asked in such an angry tone. Mina sounds a little bit puzzled, judging by her answered that sounds like she asked a question rather than giving information. Momo didn’t fuzz it much and ended the call right away after she got the location.

Momo acted that way because she was annoyed by her friends’ accusations. Didn’t know exactly why it effecting her in that kind of manner, but it just irritated her. Why people couldn’t stop making rumors about Mina, why people kept assuming things and spread it out loud before even clarify it first, why people can’t just stick to their own business and not nitpick other’s business. So weird and so annoying.

 

Anyway.. Since Momo was both panic and irritated because of her friends, her temper was all over the place. She even started complaining about how far mina’s hideout is.

Mina chose a spooky looking old gym storage that seems being abandoned for years and after Momo arrived near it, she complained about Mina’s decision on making this place her hideout. From a far it looks dusty and not clean.. also the location is quite far from the main facility building. So yeah the words ‘why even the hell she went to that untouched place.’ When Momo finally got the view of the storage, spat out in full whine and angered.

At first glance, Momo didn’t saw anyone near the storage. But as she went nearer to the side of the storage, right near a big tree, there she saw Mina sitting comfortably with back laying on the storage room wall.

As soon as Momo arrived, she sat down beside Mina with a huffed and started complaining to her.

 

“This place is so damn far away from the main building.. God! why did you even choose this place.”

“first of all.. hello to you too momo, Nice to meet you again.” hearing that, of course made the still annoyed plus exhausted Momo rolled her eyes.

“Second. I don’t know what happened to you or what made you come here feeling so annoyed, but don’t you think it’s a little bit unfair to throw your annoyance at me who don’t know anything?” and with that.. momo realized what she did and tried to calm down.. breathed out

“Sorry about that.. my friends.. they are throwing another weird rumor about you again and it irritates me.”

“Oh.. , I assumed you came here to clarify that?”

 “Yes.”

“What kind of rumor this time?”

 “So uh….”

 

Momo a little bit pausing there.. at first she is so sure to directly asked mina about it. But she didn’t know why right now, when her annoyance simmered down a bit and as she sat right beside Mina, seeing her face.. The way she looked at her with such warm expression, small smiled carved on her face as she waited patiently for momo to talk.. it made momo felt… nervous.

 

“Momo?” Mina said that while tilting her head a little bit too her left.

 

And with that, Momo chose to postpone her plan. although she didn’t want to admit, but the way mina tilting her head like that.. is just too cute for her to bear and it made her backed out.

 

“Y-you know what.. how about we talked after lunch? I only took few bite of my lunch earlier before my friends make me go here.”

“Okay, sure.. let’s eat first”  and they started eating their lunch after that.

 

“WAIT WAS WRONG WITH ME??” Momo mentally asked herself because of the sudden weird nervousness she felt.

 

The lunch were… silent. Usually… they aren’t like this. since both of them already spend so much time together, they got closer and become more comfortable with each other. especially after they decided to drop honorific between them.

But due to Momo’s head filled with thoughts about the rumor.. she was silent and drown into her own thoughts.

Its true that Momo annoyed with the rumors. It’s not that she hates it or disturbed by the rumors about mina have feelings for her… But no matter how deep she thinks about it, for Momo, it’s impossible that someone like Mina is in loved with her. Someone who has intelligence as their virtue, someone who’s meticulous, someone who is calm and matured, in conclusion someone with behavior and personality like Mina would never fine someone like Momo attractive.

In case of Momo—as what she heard a lot from people and also thought about herself, she is childish, cry baby, do things her way and with her own pace, spoiled, procrastinate and the list could go on.. it’s just no way that mina has feelings for her. So it just annoyed her. annoyed how people was so blind with the differences between them and made their own theory.

But.. other side of her kinda think it was true.. especially due to Dahyun’s question about how mina treated her.

She is… so kind, so understanding, and.. always made Momo felt cared or more like pampered? Mina gave her jellies and other snacks that Momo loves every single time they hang out. Mina took care of her well and.. well…  the way she smiled at her.. there might be.. something? and she never see mina acted like that towards other. Although momo not sure about that and she won’t jumped into that thoughts because again…she believes that someone like mina is impossible to have feeling for her.

If the rumor was wrong, she definitely will smacked dahyun and those girls who once again spreading wrong assumption about mina. And if the rumor was true… well… Momo still believe it impossible… But if the rumor was true and the reason behind it was because of Momo’s look, Momo won’t deny it. she knew her visual is top tier

But jokes aside.. if the rumor was true.. what momo will do? how she should act?

><

After they finished their lunch, they were just sit there enjoying the breeze. No one really talks, sounds of tree slightly pushed by the wind, and the vague noises from the main building were the things that filled their moment. Knowing time was ticking and soon lunch break would end, Momo decided to ask mina.

 

“Uh… Mina. about the rumor I heard from my friend.” Mina just looked at Momo, waiting for her to tell her about it

“It’s.. kinda weird and embarrassing for me to ask this.. and you need to remember this. I’m not the one who made this up okay. Dahyun heard it from some girls and then she told me to make sure whether it’s true or not. Now I’m here to clarify it to you so if it’s another misunderstanding, I’ll immediately tell them.”

“Yes momo. I understand. So, what was the rumor about?”

“Well uh… the rumor is a bit weird and I don’t think it’s true. Anyway they say you.. have a crush on someone and that person is.. me. is it right??”

“Yes it's true.”

 

There were a pause after Mina answered that and it made a mixed up feelings for Momo. she felt fine since it was really just another rumor, but half of her a little bit disappointed. But soon Momo could snap herself out her delay and said

“See! I already told them that—wait.. what?”

 

Momo who was at first laid her back on the wall immediately changed her position to face Mina as she was surprised with Mina’s answered. Meanwhile Mina was calm like usual.

 

“What did you just say?”

“It’s true. The rumor.” Said Mina

“You’re joking right? hahaha yea! I know you’re just wanna tease me. Hahaha! Come on... you can do better than that, Mina”

“No Momo. I’m serious. The rumor that you heard, isn’t just a rumor. Although it’s not that accurate but yeah it’s still true.”

 

“Wait… wait wait! Hoooold on!! So you’re telling me that you’re really crushing on me?”

“hmm.. It’s not a crush actually…” Mina paused a bit to change her position and fully faced Momo. After that she said, “Love is more accurate. I’m in love with you, Momo.”

 

If all those romance movies or novels said this particular moment made your heart skipped a bit, now momo understand why that kind of expression was used. Because indeed when Mina said that with such tender, gentle, and sincerity written in her eyes.. Made Momo’s heart skipped a bit. For few short second something squeezed her chest for a bit and let go—made her heart rate speeded up.

 

“But.. W-why me? I mean.. how can you even fell for someone like me??”

“Why not?”

“It just.. Mina. I’m polar opposite of you! You are such an independent and mature person meanwhile I’m a crybaby and always rely too much to my parents. I could be quite demanding and annoying although I know I’m cute but… still! someone like you, have feelings for a spoiled kid like me? No way.”

“I don’t mind at all. You always gave me an urge to protect you, to take a good care of you and I don’t know... whenever i see you, you always make me feel soft. Besides.... I don’t mind pampering you. I kinda like it.”

 

Mina looked sincere and serious. Momo trying to think for another argument to counter Mina. it’s not that she didn’t trust her. it just.. not make sense for momo. But her brain couldn’t really operate that well due to the shocked.

 

“Since.. when?”

“Hmm.. I’m not sure. I always hear story about you from your mother and it always makes me feel something. like I always finds you adorable in every story your mother told me. and remember after junior high graduation, you parents held a party to celebrate you graduation? My mom was invited too so i came to the party. Maybe its sounds weird but the story from you mother combined with how adorable and beautiful you were at that night, just made me fell for you.”

“y-you are saying… you’ve been holding your feeling for me since… our first year?” Mina nod at it.

 

"you gotta be kidding me..." said momo internally

 

“And this, my confession today, is also the deeper explanation on why I don’t want you to believe the rumor about me came from a shady background and despite whatever rude things you do to me won’t make me hate you.”

“Because you.. love me?”

“Mhm. I don’t want someone that I’m interested with, trust something that wasn’t right about me. I want to look good and want you to know the real me. And despite you ignored me and wasn’t that kind to me, I would never hate you or mad at you because I’m in love with you.”

“You’re not.. lying right?” with a soft smile mina then said,

“You know I don’t like lying.”

“But.. How can you be so… calm with this? I mean.. you’re revealing things you kept hid by yourself and now you can spill everything so casually like that..”

“Do I look calm to you?”

 

Momo nod her head and by that, mina suddenly grabbed Momo’s hand and guided it to mina’s chest

 

“W-wait wait what are yo—“

The moment Momo’s hand touched Mina’s chest, Momo could feel it how fast mina’s heart beat was. Her palm also a little bit sweating. Yeah.. she wasn’t calm at all

“Now, do I still look calm to you?” Momo shook her head and later Mina released her grip from Momo’s hand.

 

Well.. Momo couldn’t say anything or asked anything again… There were no lies or pretentious sign on mina’s face. there were no sign of mina pranking her or teasing her. it’s sincere and yeah.. Mina is really in love with her..

But now the problem is.. Momo didn’t know what to say to her because she never see mina in that way. She didn’t know what she should do after this..

 

“Hey momo,” Momo who was zooning for a bit startled with Mina’s sudden call

“You don’t have to worry with how you should respond to this. I’m just helping you clarify the rumor you heard. It’s probably count as confession but.. even if you don’t give me any answer, it’s okay. I’m just telling you the truth.”

“Y-you sure?” with her usual puckered smile, mina gave her a nod.

“But from now on, I’ll do my best to make you fell for me and won’t stop pampering you to show how big my love for you.”

 

That of course made Momo’s panic mode switched on and summoned Momo's snarky attitude

 

“Oh my.. you surely very very in love with me huh? hahahaha.” Momo tried her best to laugh at it, make it sounds like she was teasing Mina. but the laugh was a bit to forceful and it didn’t give any effect to mina. instead, Mina saw this as an opportunity.

“Yes.. yes I do.”

“Gee.. Okay s-sure then.. do whatever you want. But remember, you’re dealing with THE Hirai Momo. it’s not easy to snatched my heart.”

“I know. that’s why I’ll do my very best to make the adorable Hirai Momo in love with me.”



Author Notes:

Hello! Hello! 
Sorry for the wait and sorry for the way I end this story.. Please don’t hate me for this T-T

I still got so many story to finish and i wanted to end this one first so i can focus on my other stories..
Maybe.. maybe if I have time, I will try to write a short epilog or short sequel. But I can’t and won’t promise you guys anything (i'm bad at it so i won't promise anything) once again I’m sorry if you don’t really like the ending..

Okay!!! Thank you for patiently waiting for this story and thank you for reading it too!! Please do drop your thoughts in the comment box and please do upvote if you like it~ ^^


Love you guys so much! See you in my other stories!!




Kamsahamnida~