Part 2

Rumor is Just a Rumor

It’s been three days after that day.  And since then, weird thing kinda happened…

Somehow, Momo kept seeing mina in so many places. Usually she never notice her in the crowd, nor in cafeteria. Even when she walked in the corridor with her friends she somehow could see mina who was walking waaaaay ahead of her..

From completely invincible, to noticeable… from evitable to inevitable..  

from that girl with dark rumors, to Myoui Mina. Yes.. Momo find it weird how that short conversation could give that much impact.

And since Momo could notice Mina more, she realized one thing.. Mina is always alone.. like ALWAYS.

 

In between class break, Mina would just put her earphone on and sleep—waiting for the next teacher to come or scribble something on her book. She didn’t joke around with other student near her, no one came to her desk to talk or ask question about the previous lesson or anything..

During lunch break, she would either opened her own lunch box and eat it in class or she sat on the corner of the cafeteria by herself.

Momo never see her mingle with other student.. no one ever come to the class to search for her.. she always.. alone. Different with momo who surrounded by her noisy friends.

Obviously this happened because of the rumor that mina never try to clarify nor deny. If mina tried to stop the rumor from spreading or try to deny it, maybe she wouldn’t be a loner like right now. not to mention all the rumor that surrounded her, been roaming around since her 1st year..

 

After knowing that Mina is the daughter of her mother’s lawyer, Momo immediately believe that those rumors are false. It’s true that mina is half japanese half Korean. But her family isn’t yakuza.. she knew very well what kind of person Mina’s mother is and for her father, although momo didn’t know much of the detail, but she knew that Mr. Myoui works as a surgeon..

Also, Momo knew a little bit about mina from her mother. Her mother looove to talk about mina, even before momo knew who myoui mina is. Momo’s mother usually mentioned mina as ‘mrs.soojung’s daughter’ who is someone that polite, smart, kind, and very mature compared to her age.. Yes.. her mother always use ‘mrs.soojung’s daughter’ as an example for momo to be a little bit mature.. although after she said that, she immediately took back her words and cuddled momo with love..

 

Anyway.. everything about mina and how she deal with the rumors is too weird and confusing for momo to analyze it herself.. She couldn’t just discuss it with her friends since not of them going to believe anything she said. momo had thought about telling this to her mother so maybe she could go to principle office and ask him to clear the whole rumor or even punish the one who spread it first.  But after much much thinking.. it probably won’t be good for mina..

In the end.. momo decided to stop thinking about it too much and just go ask mina directly. She learned that it’s better to ask right away instead of trying to self-theorize this.. The sad expression mina gave at that day, when momo showed her that she thoughts mina’s mother doing dirty business.. yea momo didn’t want that to happened again. its kinda haunts her..

So today, after her mother told her that she’ll be late again, she decided to talk about this with mina. well truthfully, after that day momo wanted to talk to mina once more. but she couldn’t find the right timing.. again, it’s not like she wanted to get closer to mina or something.. She just.. want to satisfied her curiosity.. yea.. that’s must be the reason..

><

When the school time finally over, Momo still sat on her desk while her friends went away to do their after school activity. If she didn’t have anything to ask to Mina, she probably going to move to Sana’s desk and waited there. but since she needs to talk to mina, she just stayed still..

 

Momo peeked towards her back a little, just to make sure Mina was still there.. and yeap, she is still there.. Mina didn’t move an inch from her desk after the bell rang. Now, momo just need to wait until everyone completely left the class, leaving her and mina only.

 

When everyone finally left, it was really the right time for momo to talk. But.. she didn’t know what to say. how should she start the conversation that won’t made things awkward between them? should she say hi? should she bow? Should she address her a little bit more polite since she’s Mrs. Soojung’s daughter?

 

But mina beat momo for that.. she’s the one who broke the silence between them.

 

“Your mother late again?” that sudden question startled momo of course. she jumped a bit from her seat and that made mina chuckled.

“Uh.. es.. I mean yes! yes, my mom is late..” Momo internally slapped herself for being too flustered like that.. not to mention mina laughed at her too.. Embarrassing..

“D-don’t laugh. You startled me that’s why.”

“Okay.. I’m sorry..”

 

There were a few second of silence after that and this kind of vibe always tickled momo. Not to mention now there is something momo wanted to know from mina. But her pride let her stayed still, she went back to her normal position and tried her best not to look at her back or got curious upon what Mina is currently doing.

Then again.. Mina the one who initiate the talk....

 

“Here, For you” followed by a pack of jelly she offered to momo “in case you need something to chew on while waiting for your mom.”

 

The jelly that Mina gave, is actually Momo’s favorite. And because of it, Momo immediately threw away the stern façade she kept holding and became enthusiast.

 

“Waa Jelly!!” said Momo as she picked the pack, “This is my favorite!!”

Seeing cheerful Momo hugging the pack of jelly that she just gave, made Mina smile and said “I know.”

“Yee—wait…. You.. knew? how?”

 “I sit behind you momo-ssi. Of course I know what kind of jelly you usually eat while studying."

“ah.. right..” and after that Mina went back to her desk again—continue what she was about to do.

 

Momo was about to eat the jelly that mina just gave her, until she realized.. the pack was still sealed, like it’s new and mina hasn’t eat any of it. This is might be her favorite jelly. But once again, momo isn’t that toxic mama’s baby. Eating something that the owner hasn’t even touched, kinda made her warry.

 

Momo then again turned around and told her, “Hey.. this still sealed..”

“You want me to unwrap it for you?”

“No no..  not that.. You sure want to give me this?” Mina nod at it

 

Momo looked towards the jelly pack after that, doubting something. she was thinking that hard until she brows frowned and without her knowing, someone tried to hold her laugh upon seeing it.

 

Then momo made a “aha!” gesture, like she finally get what mina actually meant by giving her the whole pack. Momo unwrapped the pack, took few jellies and gave the rest back to mina.

 

“Here and.. thank you..” after that momo went back to her desk again.

 

yes she thought that mina just want to give momo some of her jelly.. not the whole pack like what she firstly thought. Well it’s weird too if someone actually want to give the whole pack of jelly to other people. Momo wouldn’t do that, not to her favorite jelly. even she could have a fight with her friends who tried to steal her favorite jelly.

 

But oh well.. maybe momo was wrong. And in the end, the same pack came back to her desk again.

 

“what?”asked momo.

“I gave this to you. why you return it back to me?”

“uh.. because I already took some? or oh! Did I.. took too much? ” and there she goes.. mina and her warm smile

 “No, momo-ssi.. You can have all of these for yourself. I’m good.” said mina.

“Eh?? like.. everything in this pack is.. for me?” mina gave her a nod

“You didn’t mean to share?” and she shook her head. “the whole pack is for me??”

With another firm nod, mina said “yes momo-ssi.. I bought it for you.”

“Why?? I mean.. this jelly?? You’re willing to spare your money just to give this jelly to other people??” Mina seems found momo’s reaction funny and she giggled..

“I just thought this kind of moment will happened again so maybe a pack of jelly could be the best company for you.. that’s why I bought it for you and want you to have the whole thing.”

 

It will be a huge lie if momo said that she didn’t felt anything after that. That words, that smile… probably that’s the very first time momo felt her heart paused a bit and it made her very very nervous.. weirdly nervous.

After mina thought her intention was well explained and seems there’s no more reaction from momo, she decided to go back to her seat.. continued her reading.

 

Well.. momo wasn’t giving any reaction not just because she was ‘affacted’ by what mina just said.. she also on a really deep thought.. This kindness that mina has.. Made momo confused..

How can someone be this kind especially to someone who judged them, yelled at them, being rude and such? Momo wasn’t in her best attitude either today or the previous day. if she saw mina, she never greeted her.. not like the latter who always smiled at her or gave a subtle short bow.. Momo judged her before.. Momo yelled at her and even force her to do something for her. yet, Mina still this kind to her

 

“You are weird..” Mina who was about to continue her reading, had to stop and looked towards momo

“It’s.. not the first time you told me that..”

“No.. not weird. But... you just make me confused.”

“O..kay..? mmm maybe I could help with clarifying or explain something to you?”

“Yes. That’s a great idea. Let’s do that.”

 

Momo dragged her chair towards mina’s desk and sat right in front of her. of course it made mina startled and nervous.. not to mention the serious face on momo’s face. due to that nervousness, mina decided to move her chair backwards a little bit, but still wore her calm face.

 

“You have to pay attention okay.” mina nod at it and momo got that as a sign for her to continue.

“Okay first, Its about you and how you deal with those rumors.. you know.. the mafia-yakuza thing yakidiyak blalala..”

“Aah.. What makes you confused from that?”

“Many things!! You never try to clarify anything, you never tried to deny it, or even confront anyone who talk about it.  You just.. stay silent although everything was wrong, although those rumors bothers you and those rumors made everyone didn’t want to go near you, made you a loner... I really can’t understand you.. it’s.. weird!”

“Well I—“

“No! I’m not finish yet!” said momo as she cut Mina. of course the girl stay silent and listen to whatever momo about to say.

“And another weird yet confusing thing about you… why you can be so kind to me?? like.. All I did to you was rude things. I yelled at you, judge you, force you to do something you didn’t want, brought you into my lie, asked you to pretend as my friend, and I never replied your greetings eventhough you always greeted me… yet you still smile at me, talk to me nicely and even this… I don’t understand you AT ALL.”

 

Seems like momo’s adrenaline too pumped up as it made her quite panting right after she finished with her talk.

 

“Can I… talk now?“

“Yeah. talk.” Said Momo

“Okay.. About the rumors.. to be honest, it didn’t bother me.”

“Bull.” Mina’s eyes went slightly wider after hearing that word came from momo

And momo realized that, even she surprised at herself for saying something like that. “I… I’m sorry I didn’t mean to curse at you..It just..the adrenaline.. the tension.. gee i can’t believe I said that.”

Gladly, mina understood that and she chose to move along

“But really.. those rumors, bad judgement people had towards me, or even being alone.. I don’t really mind at all.”

 

Momo didn’t responded right away. she stare at mina for few moment.. like she was analyzing something. of course.. that made mina a little bit uneasy as she didn’t know where to look. But thankfully momo continue to talk again

 

“You lied.”

“Me? no.. I told you that I don’t like lying..”

“But you surely looked disappointed when you thought that I was like the others.. people who believe the rumors.”

 

Mina stunned when momo said that.. but after that.. the usually smiley mina started to look towards her down, rubbing her arm and somehow… she looked.. shy? or nervous? Yes that’s the only possible thing momo could guess by seeing her gesture.

 

“It was ju—“

“I saw you there Myoui. you look sad. Your smile was different, your tone was different.”

At first, mina was about to deny what momo told her. but she couldn’t proceed it.. not after Momo said those facts with such seriousness that she rarely saw on the girl..

 

“Okay.. yes, you are right. I was disappointed that day, knowing you also believe the rumors.”

“See. I was ri—“

“But. that only works for you. not for other people.

“Uh… what that supposed to mean?”

 “w-well.. I..uh.. I acted like that because.. it’s you. Because you believe that rumors. that’s why it bothers me. I don’t care about the other.. but I just.. don’t want you to believe that..”

 

Momo’s frown appeared as she tried so hard to understand every word that mina said.  on the otherside, mina was trying to control herself.. truthfully her heart is racing right now.

 

“So.. you are saying that.. you don’t care that others believe or not with the rumors, but you dislike it if I believed it?” mina gave a small nod

“also.. for your second question. The answer is the same.”

“Eh? the answer is.. me? just me?” again, a small nod what mina gave to momo

“Why? I still don’t get it… You must’ve other reason, right?”

“Other reason.. no. deeper explanation, yes.”

“What??? oh come on.. why you have to be so secretive like this.. you’re making it harder for me to understand.”

 

It’s not that mina didn’t want to tell momo what actually she meant.. but she just not ready.. she hasn’t prepare herself for this.. not now. But the way momo seems so down, pouting and frowning kinda making it hard for mina to keep shut. Mina just prayed that momo won’t use aegyo to make mina talk.. because its surely gonna be a really hard task.

 

“Myoui…. Can you just tell me, please?” And there she goes.. Momo’s aegyo. Pouty face, glistering eyes, and cute voice.. Momo even already use the ‘magic’ word without mina even asked her to..

“Don’t… give that look.” But momo didn’t change her expression. It stays the same.. in fact, she hovered herself closer to mina.

“Why you seems so eager? You make me.. warry..” said Mina

“I told you.. You’re confusing me okay. I just want to understand you.” said Momo

 

That word.. the word ‘understand you’ gave mina so many good feelings. Momo could’ve just said that she is curious about mina and mina would still accept that reason too. but the fact that she use ‘understand’ it means.. a lot. Although it could’ve been better if Momo said that she wants to get to know her.. but this is enough. this is the closest she ever get to Momo and Mina was content.

And with that being said, Mina was considering to tell momo everything. But she might want to have some fun for herself first. Teasing momo is entertaining anyway.

 

 “If I tell you, what I got from it?”

“Hm?” seems like momo didn’t prepare for Mina to ask such question to her

“Explaining you this, means I told you something personal. If I told you, you’re going to have something from me but.. I didn’t get anything from it. so.. why should I tell you?”

“Well.. uh.. you’ll get one person that didn’t believe at the rumors?”

“I told you. I don’t care whether people believe it or not.”

“But you said you don’t want me to believe.”

“You already know that everything was wrong. Right?” and momo gave a meek nod at it.. realized that her plan didn’t work.

 

And that made momo turned to her panic mode as she tried so hard to look for any kind of thing that Mina would agree with. And seeing momo thinking that hard of course amused mina and she got more relax now.. not as nervous as before.

 

“So?”

“Y-you’ll got a.. a friend! yeah. a friend. I-I’ll be your friend.”

 

Mina… didn’t prepare for that. she was sure that momo would use materials as the exchange.. free food, free jelly, free lunch, something from her mother’s store.. but being a friend? that’s.. more than enough for mina.

Oh well.. momo didn’t have to know that now.

 

“I see you stuttered..”

“I’m just nervous okay! I.. I never ask someone to be my friend so directly like this before..” yes.. just like how it seems.. momo’s gesture really portrayed that she is shy right now and due to that, mina need to control herself not to smile too wide.

 “Does it mean I have to gang up with your other friends? because no thank you.”

“No! you don’t have to.. we can just you know.. hang out like this? or.. we could hang out in your house or something..” said momo

“So, if I explain you more about how I deal with the rumors and such.. you’ll be my friend?” Momo nod vigorously at it

 

“Hmm…” Mina pretended that she’s thinking about it while actually, she already know what to do. Maybe she just need to test momo’s determination a little bit, just to see whether she really want to know it and even really want to be her friend.

 

“I’ll think about it.”

“Eh?? No no! you have to make the decision now..”

“It’s my personal and sensitive thing Momo-ssi.. of course I need to think about it first.”

 

Suddenly mina tidy up her books, put all her belonging to her back and ready to go out. this.. of course made momo panic.

 

“Wow wow wow! Hold on.. where are you going?”

“I don’t have that much mood to study and I’m hungry. So I’m gonna grab something to eat before go back home.” And Mina walked away to the door.

“See you tomorrow.” said Mina before she left the class.

 

Didn’t know exactly what happened.. but somehow, when Mina left like that.. something inside Momo’s head asked her to catch her. and yes.. she listened to it and—

 

“MYOUI! WAIT!!”

 

Mina was expecting Momo to tag along. But she didn’t expect her to yell her name that loud.. and not long after that, she could hear running steps that slowly went closer to her. yes.. momo wasn’t a fast runner..

 

“I’m… hah.. I’m coming with you..” said momo, the moment she arrived—panting.

“What about your mom? Shouldn’t you have to wait for her?”

“I’ll tell her later.. and probably she will be happy if she knows we’re hanging out together.” Said momo and then she continued again, maybe because she want to convince Mina to let her go with her.

“I’ll pay the food. Any kind of food, anywhere you want to go. you choose, I pay.”

“You sure?” Momo nod at mina’s question firmly.

“It’s not going to be a fancy restaurant though.” Said Mina.

“I don’t mind. As long as it’s not yucky..”

“well.. okay then.. let’s go.”

 

And those two walked side by side towards the restaurant that mina wanted to go. Momo knows she is taking too much effort just to understand the girl name Myoui Mina. but somehow there’s a tiny bit of belief.. that knowing Myoui Mina, would be worth it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile.. without both of them even realized.. there are few people who saw what happened between them. not the entire scene. Just a glimpse. And you know what would happen if there’s a surprising event yet people didn’t know the whole story and they decided to just conclude it by themselves?

 

That’s where rumor begin to erupt.



Author Notes:
Hi hi! I kept my promise this time! yeay^^
Hope you guys enjoy it and sorry for the cliffhanger ehheheheheeh ~

if there's a spelling & grammatical error and such, i'm sorry. i didn't re-read it heheh.. 
my bad.. ^-^"

Love you guys!!





kamsahamnida