Back Home

Children of the Gods

 

Jong...Jongdae? Did he hear that right? There was no way that the man behind him who was an inch away from killing him was the oh-so-famous Jongdae who last time he’d heard had passed away on a quest with Baekhyun four years ago! The same man who was his half brother. 

 

Chanyeol didn’t know what Baekhyun was thinking, but he could almost hear his clenched jaw, his fiery eyes and an aching heart.

 

“Let him go,” Baekhyun urged again. 

 

“I’m afraid that won’t be happening.” Jongdae grinned, “You see Baekhyunie, I know that you’re on a very important quest, but so am I. I need your cooperation more than anything. Come with me silently and the boy will be spared.”

 

Baekhyun held his breath, looking between the blade of his knife and Chanyeol’s viable neck on display. One movement. Gone. He was gone. Perhaps the mere impossibility of trying to save his quest member riled Baekhyun up even more.

 

“Go where? Where’s Kyungsoo!”

 

“No need to worry, he’s safe at Oceanus’ dungeon. If you want to see any of these two alive, you’ll need to come with me.” Jongdae said again.

 

Something was telling Chanyeol that Baekhyun knew more about the situation than he did himself. For one...why the hell was Jongdae back from the fricken underworld?! How was this even possible.

 

Their eyes met again. Baekhyun is seemingly trying to get something across to Chanyeol.

This time...he understood.

His eyes told him...they needed to escape. Now. 

 

“Oh dear, hyunee. I told you about my plans all the time when we were young. Remember? Taking over the gods, creating a new worldly system.” Jongdae told him.

 

Somehow all those words didn’t mean anything to Baekhyun when Jongdae was holding a knife to the throat of a demigod.

 

“Alec told me. He told me a day ago and threatened him about blowing up the camp if we didn’t stop our quest. Since when-I-” Baekhyun was at loss of words.

 

So this was what the private conversation had been about? Now CHanhyeol understood why Alec didn’t want Chanyeol or Kyungsoo knowing. Afterall, they didn’t know Jongdae well enough. Still, being his half brother it was only his right to be told his brother was alive.

He wondered what Baekhyun felt after knowing someone he thought he had inadvertently killed was actually alive, plotting the downfall of all the gods. 

 

Jongdae hadn’t aged. He still had those small smile lines between the corner of his lips and his strong cat-like eye shape. His face was the same...but his personality...

 

“Baekhyunie, I’ll explain everything. You and many people believe I’m evil, but I”m not. I’m merely an anti-hero. My plans...they are what we always wanted. So please...let's leave. Lets run away together to Oceanus. We can defeat the gods, take over. Make them pay back for everything they’ve ever done to us. I don’t want to hurt anyone-”

 

“Let go.” Baekhyun’s voice was loud this time.

 

Chanyeol squirmed at the ringing sound in his ears that resonated right after Baekhyun spoke. Charmspeak. Genius.

Breaking out of Jongdae’s hold, Chanyeol elbowed the back from the dead demi-god in the stomach.

Jongdae doubled over, holding his stomach in pain and in the meantime Baekhyun took out an arrow and without hesitation aimed it at the heart of his old friend.

 

“Don’t move an inch.” He advised, with the help of his charmspeak.

 

Chanyeol rummaged through his backpack quickly while Baekhyun held his charmspeak with Jongdae who seemed to be struggling so much as he was moving slowly to reach for his weapon.

 

Finally finding the black velvet box, Chanyeol opened it grabbing Baekhyun’s hand and pulling him to his side. Within one movement Chanyeol threw the dust in the air-thought about the place he needed to be the most-and poof-just like Adrian had said, they were gone.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol was sure he’d bumped on to a hardwood floor.

When he opened his eyes again, he was no longer in a dark and damp forest in southern france. Instead, he was on the shiny hard floor of a small apartment he recognized all too well. The sun was bright and the sun was shining from the north. It was day time here.
Had they changed time zones? After all, back in France it was night time. Here...it was mid-day.

Looking around he found baekhyun rubbing the back of his neck in pain since they had both dropped to the ground from the weird teleportation dust Adrian had given him.

 

“Where?” Baekhyun asked, squinting his eyes, not used to the brightness.

 

Chanyeol smiled sheepishly, “Uh...I think I was transported back to my house”

 

Baekhyun looked around bewildered, running to the window outside the small apartment complex, no larger than a two bedroom. It was on the fourteenth floor. Outside were the loud noises of a busy city street, honking cars, yelling drunkards and people hailing bright yellow taxis. Obnoxious, an overwhelming stench of gasoline.

 

“A slum?”

 

Chanyeol looked offended, “It’s not a slum. Just a small area in New York city okay. I’m not going to stand here and be judged for where I grew up.”

 

“I don’t understand. Why didn’t you just teleport us back to camp. I mean what could I expect of you anyways.” Baekhyun sighed.

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, walking over to the window to examine the outside of his old apartment complex himself. He sees people going about their day. Ah mortal life, he’d taken it for granted so many years ago. It was sad watching all these normal people going to work, getting a coffee with a friend, enjoying the life they were given. Then there was the demi-god life Chanyeol was cursed with. He wondered about his childhood friends where they all were now. Wondering if they would recognize him. Even believe for a second that he was half god?

Now that they were in broad daylight he took a good gander at his state. A complete mess. Chanyeol who’d been wearing a blue bomber jacket for the quest had been completely ruined from mud and dirty.

Baekhyun was still wearing his leather jacket and tight black pants, his clothes untouched like he’d had a barrier protecting him. His soft strawberry blonde hair is shiny and perfectly toned. Was this another power Aphrodite kids could do?  Chanyeol hated admitting that Baekhyun looked out of this world good. Tight things fit his body well in the right places. Then there was a mess called Chanyeo whose hair looked like a birds nest. 

 

Gazing out the window, he squinted at a figure that was heading towards the direction of the apartment, holding two paper duffel bags tightly in her strong arms. She had large crinkled eyes like Chanyeol.



 

“.” Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun who looked more than confused.

 

“What?”

 

“My mom, she's coming up here right now.”

 

“What do we do?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Uh-uh I don’t know I’ll just say I came to surprise her and-I don’t know for thanksgiving-”

 

Click.

 

The door unlocked.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ms. Park almost dropped her grocery bags from the sight of her overgrown son standing in the living room, looking like he’d been caught in the headlights. 

 

“My baby boy!” She ran up to him, groceries forgotten and hugged him tight.

 

“M-mom! Uh..” Chanyeol awkwardly looked at Baekhyun who raised an eyebrow at the interaction.

 

Ms. Park pouted when she let go, putting her hands on her hips sternly, “You told you’d call-but you didn’t!”

 

“Yeah-sorry I...you know what it's like at camp. The demi-god stuff.”

 

Then his mother turned with a surprised look to notice Baekhyun. He was standing near the window sill.

 

“I didn't know you were already making...friends.” Ms Park squealed walking over to a frightened looking Baekhyun.

 

The son of Aphrodite stood frozen as Chanyeol's mother began pinching his cheeks and feeling his shoulders, “You’re so handsome,” she smiled.

 

“Uh-thank you.” Baekhyun bowed, “I’m Byun Baekhyun, it's nice to meet you.” 

 

“Oh my goodness. He’s a prince. See Chanyeol, look how charming he is-”

 

“Mom…” Chanyeol rolled his eyes in embarrassment.

 

“Okay, okay I’ll stop. Now tell me how long are you staying?” Her eyes brightened.

 

Chanyeol pursed his lips, knowing full well his mother wasn’t going to like the answer to that. He immediately regretted teleporting back here.

 

“Mom...actually I have to tell you we’re kind of...on a quest right now. I won’t be staying for long. Actually I was just in a fight with someone and I kinda teleported here by mistake and I just don’t want to make you sad-”

 

“Enough rambling.” She slapped his shoulder, “You sound like your father. You’re staying for dinner.” 

Ms. Park then turned to an out of place Baekhyun, “You can stay as well, dear.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Why had they agreed? Well simply because the only way Baekhyun and Chanyeol were going to get back to france was a one way flight that was coming in tomorrow morning. They had no other way of getting there besides mortal transport. They had used up all of the dust from Adrian’s magical teleporter without realizing. Besides, Chanyeol didn’t mind spending quality time with his mother.

Baekhyun, he could tell, was feeling a little out of place.

It was personal, walking into the house of someone you only partly knew-meeting their mother and staying over at their house.

Friends? That’s what Chanyeol’s mother had called them-but their recent fight had got him thinking they were merely quest mates. After this quest was done Baekhyun didn’t plan on seeing Chanyeol period. He’d go on to live like a lone wolf camp, ignore him like he always did. How did it never cross his mind that the only reason Baekhyun was talking to him up until now was because they were on the same quest together. Judging from Baekhyun’s rejection towards his feelings it was apparent that he never felt the same-even as friends.

 

“Eat this dear-oh and this kimchi stew I made you.” She fed her son well.

 

They were all sitting at the kitchen island that was a pseudo-dining table with stools instead of chairs. Baekhyu was sitting farthest away, while Chanyeol and his mother were sitting beside each other.

The son of the aphrodite clasped his hands together, staring at the marble kitchen surface, wondering why he’d even agreed to stay here. He could have booked a hotel. Maybe even slept in the streets after all that was not far from his living situation before camp half blood.

 

“Don’t think I forgot you.” Ms Park reached over to display a plate of rice and various side dishes in front of him.

A sizzling kimchi stew, with pickled turnip on the side and some pork cutlets to top it off with rice on the bottom. He hadn’t seen such a full meal in so long.

 

“I-I don’t need this much.” Baekhyun protested at the amount the lady was giving him.

 

Even more than Chanyeol, Ms Park placed a plethora of rice on his plate. 

 

“You are way too skinny my dear. I don’t care what you say-in this house you have to gain a few pounds.” 

 

Baekhyun nodded obediently. His chest filling with a type of warmness he hadn’t felt since...well since a long time ago. So this is what it's like to have a caring mother.

They ate well. With Baekhyun feeling like he was almost being force fed at one point, but he didn’t mind. Infact, it felt nice.

 

 This is what family dinners were like…

 

He wanted to cry. His throat closed up, but he made a quick escape, excusing himself to the washroom to hold back any form of emotion he was about to let out. When he came back he watched from afar as Chanyeol and his mother laughed and joked about things. Baekhyun couldn’t look at them for long, thinking about the vast difference between his mother and Chanyeol’s mother. No wonder the boy was so soft...he’d grown up properly, despite having a terrible absent father. At least he'd had a father.

 

When everyone had finished eating, Baekhyun immediately gathered all the dishes to wash them, but Ms Park stopped him and held his hand tight, “No dear no I will not let a guest wash the dishes in my house. Besides, you have beautiful hands-quiet a good hand-modeling career you have going for you.”

 

“I’ll do it.” Chanyeol grabbed the plate from him.

 

Baekhyun nodded silently, feeling a little indebted to the Parks. Even though he’d be staying for night he felt like he needed to repay them. He’d always been grateful for things like this. 

 

“I can wash the dishes just fine.” Baekhyun said under breath , grabbing the plate back and opening the faucet.

 

Ms Park raised an eyebrow at the interaction, “Just like Tom and Jerry, you two.”

 

In the end the three of them set up a train of washing dishes. Chanyeol soaping and soaking the dishes, Baekhyun rinsing them off and Ms. Park drying them off with a rag. Baekhyun hadn't felt so wholesome in a long time. Forget having dinner, he didn’t remember last time he’d done any type of activity with anyone...and actually had fun. 

This should have told anyone how messed up Baekhyun had lived his life. Even washing dishes with a mother figure was exceptional to him.

 

“You know,” Ms. Park begins a story as they wash dishes, “I’ve been to Olympus before.”

 

Chanyeol laughed, “She always shows off that she went to Olympus.”

 

Baekhyun grew interested in what she had to say. So she’d seen the God’s that meant.

 

“His father took me. I was able to see all the Gods and well...they were unreal. You know Athena she definitely wanted to kill me right then and there.” Her eyes were dreamy.

 

“Oh and Ares was just the same, maybe even a little creepy.”

 

“Why were you there?” Baekhyun.

 

Everyone knew any mere mortal could not visit Olympus unless for an exceptional reason.

 

Ms Park smiled, “I broke a law.” She seemed proud of it.

 

Chanyeol blushed furiously, washing the dishes more rigorously now.

 

“After all, I fell in love with Zues and had a child. Of course they called Olympus trying to sentence me to death.”

 

“Because of the Big Three pact?” Baekhyun guessed.

 

“I mean, I told them it wasn’t my fault that Zues hadn’t told me about the law. He thought he’d get away with it. Chanyeol would have been an orphan. Or much worse...killed him along with me.”

 

“What happened?” Baekhyun became more curious.

 

“They all had a vote. I was tied. Poseidon, Ares and Hades all wanted me gone.”

 

Baekhyun could understand that. He hadn’t heard any redeeming qualities about those gods.

 

“But, Hestia, Hermes and surprisingly enough, Athena voted to keep me alive.” She went on.

 

“Then who changed the vote?” Chanyeol asked, wondering why his mother hadn’t told him this part of the story yet. 

 

Ms’ Park's eyes twinkled in delight as she dried off the last few dishes. 

 

“It was Aphrodite.” 

 

Baekhyun immediately frowned. His eyes no longer holding that interest he’d had about the story from the beginning. Every Time he’d hear that treacherous womens name he couldn’t help but want to throw something. Go figure. Of course, his mother could help a stranger, but her own son? That's out of the question.

 

“No way...what was her reasoning?” Chanyeol asked, side eyeing an uncomfortable looking Baekhyun.

 

“Well...she didn’t seem to disclose it, but she had a faraway look in her eyes. Like she’d seen something in you and me, Chanyeol. Like we were meant to be kept alive. I presume has something to love, as she is the goddess of love.” Ms. Park shrugged.

 

Bakehyun snickered at the comment, drying his hands from rinsing the dishes. He bowed politely and excused himself to get ready to sleep. Confused by the sudden change in behaviour, Ms Park let him go a little sad that she hadn’t gotten to talk to the boy any longer.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun was given a set of pajamas from Ms Park and an old set of Chanyeol’s he was told. They were blue and had small spaceship cartoons on the pants. It was very much childish, but Baekhyun presumed this was probably the only thing that could fit him.

When he walked out of the wash room he was met with the twinkling eyes of Ms Park again who couldn’t hold back and pinched his cheeks.

 

“Look how cute he looks in your old Pajama set, Yeolie!!” She squealed. 

 

Chanyeol tried his best not to meet Baekhyun’s eyes. He’d changed into a set of sweats and a grey hoodie and looked comfortable and yet, so uncomfortable from seeing the man that he sadly still had a small crush on wearing his old clothes. 

             He looked...adorable. 

The blush that streaked across his cheeks were covered by his arm and he pretended to cough. 

 

“Let's go to sleep, we need to wake up early tomorrow.”

 

Baekhyun insisted on sleeping on the ground, but Chanyeol begrudgingly took a sleeping bag and settled himself on the floor. 

Silenced, Baekhyun took the single bed that Chanyeol had in his room. It was an unkempt room-with old posters of when he was in highschool of video games. An old PC was near the window. It was a tiny room,but Baekhyun hadn’t felt more safe than right now. The book shelves had various fantasy novels about dragons and knights. It was like any other young teens room. He imagined it felt very nostalgic for Chanyeol to be here. A moment of understanding passed for Baekhyun. He understood why Chanyeol had picked such a place to be teleported.

 

“Ah!” Baekhyun yelled from the bed suddenly, sitting up from fear.

 

Chanyeol immediatley got up to the sound of his distressed voice, leaning over the edge of the bed to see what had scared Baekhyun.

 

“What! What happened?” Chanyeol asked, heart pounding.

 

 He wasn’t expecting to see the oh so mighty Byun Baekhyun holding the covers close to his chest as he shakingly pointed at the cockroach on his pillow.


 

“T-that demon! What is it!” Baekhyun squimered, leaping off the bed when the insect moved.

 

Chanyeol cracked a smile. HIs head rolled to the side as he began to laugh uncontrollably.

 

“Is this some kind of joke to you!” Baekhyun’s lips were in a tight line.

 

“You’re just so…” Chanyeol chuckled before lunging for a piece of tissue on his night stand table and cupped the cockroach in his hand. 

 

Baekhyun’s eyes were in utter distraught watching Chanyeol walk outside to his tiny window and place the roach on the outside of the tiny plant balcony, letting it free.

 

“Have you never seen a roach?” Chanyeol laughed again.

 

“A what?!” Baekhyun asked, genuinely confused. 

 

“Where did you ever grow up anyways? I mean you only lived in the mortal world for a little, but you have only little knowledge about mortal things.”

 

“I lived in Germany when I was young. I’ve never been to America.” He pouted.

 

“So you speak German?”

 

“Hardly any. I forgot most of it. I was raised in an orphanage with this mean old english lady. That's where I learned english. I didn’t know much about the outside world.”

 

“Oh..”Chanyeol was desperate to know more.

 

This was probably the first time he was hearing about Baekhyun’s upbringing or personal life. He rarely talked about his life outside camp half blood. Was he making strides? He didn’t want to pry, though. Knowing that Baekhyun was quiet sensitive when it came to his personal life. 

After their silence, they both layed back down on their respective beds and tried to get sleep. 

 

“I’m sorry, by the way,” Chanyeol admitted.

 

Baekhyun didn’t respond, but shuffled in his bed, perhaps in accepting the apology. Or simply, rejecting it like he always did, “What is this apology for now?”

 

“It’s-I know it was hard back there. Trying to keep yourself together seeing...Jongdae.”

 

Baekhyun let out a hard breath, not wanting to push the conversation any further.

 

“I mean for all I knew, you were going to follow him and listen. I knew I was dead meat.”

 

“That’s not true.” Baekhyun says.

 

Chanyeol’s ears perked up at that, confused at the sudden realization that Baekhyun ahd admitted he’d choose Chanyeol over Jongdae-and an old friend he’d deeply trusted.

 

“When Alec told me Jongdae was alive, I almost knew that I had to be strong. I couldn’t let my feelings get in the way of anything. It hurt though, knowing someone you really loved and cared for became something so vile.”

 

“Is he working with Oceanus?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“For years now. Ever since we all thought he died four years ago-Jongdae was sent off to some island by his father to salvage his life. Somehow...he survived.. When he finally escaped he made a revenge plan to get back at the gods. He wasn’t like this when I was young. I don’t know...whoever he’s become it’s not him.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t like the sound of that. He could understand Baekhyun’s remorse and pain, but when it came down to it-they’d have to face Jongdae at one point. It probably meant they’d need to defeat him and that probably entailed death. It bothered him that Baekhyun still had hope in Jongdae, knowing that he was the mole that had broken the barrier to the camp a few weeks ago and was simultaneously planning to attack the entire camp and destroy the gods. It bothered him that Baekhyun had said that he...loved Jongdae, most of all. 

 

“We can’t guarantee he hasn’t changed for the worst.” Chanyeol said bitterly.

 

Baekhyun didn’t answer.

 

After a few minutes of silence again, Baekhyun gets up, turns on the lamp shade on the bedside table and walks over to Chanyeol’s book shelf. He also can’t sleep.

Chanyeol watched him from the floor struggle to reach for a book higher up on the shelf.

Without thinking, Chanyeol got up and leaned against him to reach for it. As his arm lunged up he looked under him to find Baekhyun’s sleeve riding up his arm to reveal a nastly gash that was an angry red-a dried up blood coating the injury.

 

Since they were closer together, with Chanyeol's abdomen against Baekhyun’s back he could get a better look at it.

Almost as quickly as he’d woken up to Baekhyun screaming from a cockroach, he pulled Baekhyun’s thin arm towards him, tilting his head to get a better look.

 

“You’re injured.” Chanyeol looked at him with worried eyes.

 

“If you think this is an injury-then keep dreaming, Park.” He rolled his eyes, trying to retract his arm away, but Chanyeol held on tighter.

 

“No, we have to dress it. It could get infected. A cockroach could-”

 

“Okay okay, enough, if I get it. I’ll go put water on it and-”

 

“I’ll help.” Chanyeol walked over to the washroom with him.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun sat on a stool silently watching carefully as Chanyeol took a q-tip and gently began cleaning the deep cut on his forearm. It stung a bit, but a few days before it was really bad. He remembered getting it from when he had taken the dive into the tunnel to run away from Oceanus. It hurt like hell, but he knew it would only distract the team.

 

“Here.” Chanyeol handed him a carton.

 

“No,” Baekhyun refused the ambrosia.

 

“I know you were trying to save this for us, but this isn’t going to help anyone,” Chanyeol brought the saddle of ambrosia to his mouth then, waiting for Baekhyun to put his lips around it and drink it.

 

Slowly, but surely, he obediently took a sip. His eyes told Chanyeol that he wanted more, but pride was holding him back. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

 

“We need to find Kyungsoo, I don’t care how long it's going to take, but we need whatever ambrosia is left. Who knows what they're doing to him.”

 

“We’ll get there, don’t worry. I know it.”

 

Baekhyun looked up at him, tilting his head in curiosity. If it wasn’t for the fact that Chanyeol’s face was beginning to heat up he would have done something frisky, maybe even kissed him. He knew better than to touch Baekhyun, though. 

Looking at the son of Aphrodite from a higher position made him feel more confident since Baekhyun was always so intimidating. 

 

“Your ears...” Baekhyun reached to pinch them.

 

Instead of pulling them down like he did to scold Chanyeol, he did something that surprised him.

Baekhyun held his cheek as he pecked Chanyeol chastley on the lips.

Chanyeol breath hitched at the son of Aphrodite, and watched in complete and utter disbelief as the Baekhyun stood up this time and threw his arms around Chanyeol’s neck and kissed him again-longer-much longer.

 

Wow. Chanyeol thought. He hadn’t expected Baekhyun to be such a good kisser. Maybe another skill that Aphrodite kids had?

 

“I-I um I’m sorry.” Chanyeol immediately bowed when Baekhyun let go of him.

 

The demigod raised an eyebrow,”Why are you apologizing all the time, I'm the one who kissed you.”

 

          "I-I know it just came out-"

 

          "I'm not ready to give my answer," Baekhyun answered coldly, “I was just testing the waters.”

 

Chanyeol gulped. He wondered if testing the waters was kissing him twice in the row? Was this an excuse for Baekhyun not to label anything? Was he afraid of pursuing Chanyeol, just as much as he was himself?

Baekhyun was difficult to read. It didn’t seem like he was very affected by the kiss at all compared to Chanyeol who was furiously blushing looking for something to do when Baekhyun walked out of the bathroom.

 

When they had come back into Chanyeol’s childhood room, a strange bulge of anger formed in his chest. 

 

“What’s your problem?” He’s clearly hurt.

 

“I-”

 

“You can’t just go around kissing people and saying you were testing the waters. That isn’t fair to me when you know I-I like you.”

 

“Chanyeol, stop.” Baekhyun told him.

 

“Why? Why can’t I stand up for myself for once-”

 

“Because I’ve never had luck in relationships, okay.”

 

“What does that even mean?” Chanyeol was still mad.

 

“It means my mother is the god of love and when she finds out about this-she’s going to do everything in her power to ruin it.” Baekhyun said bitterly.

 

Chanyeol was silenced then. He wondered if Baekhyun was talking about a specific event that had led him to this? Aphrodite...was the same god that had saved her own mother from death and possibly himself. So why? Where did all this negative attitude that Bakehyun was holding come from. 

After that, Chanyeotl could tell Baekhyun was ticked off. So he  silently put the conversation away and decided it was best if they slept it off and focused on their quest. 

When his eyes finally drooped down, he was gifted with yet another dream of the past.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

He woke up in a magnificent looking garden. Confused as to why he wasn’t in his new york apartment, he realized he was dreaming. Calmness came over him as he realized this was just another one of those flashbacks that the gods thought it was important for him to see. 

Looking around he noticed the flowers that surrounded the garden, mostly pink tulips. And at the centre was a marble italian gazebo, it’s pillars decorated with vines of red roses. In his dream the place had a filter over it-a sparkling one. 

Chanyeol wondered around the garden before his feet finally took him to the gazebo. He could make out two figures in the distance. One woman and a boy…

 

No...not just any boy. Jongdae.

 

He edged closer, knowing full well these two people would not be able to hear him. Still, he wanted to conceal himself behind a shrub just in case.

 

“Ah I see…”The woman's voice trailed off.

 

Chanyeol squinted to get a better look and finally recognized the woman, although he’s never actually seen her true form. It was her mortal depiction-things he’d seen in paintings. 

 

Aphrodite. The god of love and beauty. 

 

Chanyeol gulped as he got a closer look- realising how much of a carbon copy she was to her son, Baekhyun. Of course this made sense since everything Chanyeol saw in Baekhyun he saw in Aphrodite. The same violet eyes, the same golden hair and dropped eyes. It was almost like she was a female version of him. 

He’d only ever met one other aphrodite spawn in person, that being Seulgi-he could also see specks of her in their mother.

Staring in awe for a long time, he’d forgotten he was supposed to be eavesdropping on the conversation.

 

“It’s a shame-you’d couple well with my son.” She smiled softy.

 

Jondgae who had been looking like he was there to ask for help in their quest sternly looked away.

 

“Goddess, I’m here to ask for help on this quest. We have no hope-our numbers are down. The demi-gods are growing weak. We need your power.”

 

“Oh…” Aphrodite pouted cutely, “I’m sure there’s not much I can do.”

 

“Please, Goddess Aphrodite.” Jongdae kneeled holding her hands together as if praying.

 

“Why didn’t my son come along with you, then? Is he that ashamed of me?” Her eyes looked fiery. 

 

Jongade looked up, seemingly wanting to protest, but saw there was no use. It was almost like the goddess could read his every step. 

 

“Because all you’ve ever done is cause me pain!”  A young Baekhyun came out from the bushes just then.

 

It freightened Chanyeol that he hadn’t noticed his presence that he fell back in shock. Aphrodite smirked then, realizing she’d successfully riled up her son. He’s behind the entire time. Behind him was Junmnyeon who had his arms crossed over his chest in annoyance. 

Jongdae tightened his jaw and held his arm out for Baekhyun to stay away.

 

It was the same outgoing- 12 year old Baekhyun from four years ago, his determination unmatched to what it was now. 

 

“Don’t, Baekhyun-” Jongdae tried to stop him from going too far.

 

“I hate you! I hate you! I hate you so much that I would have rather-”

 

“Now, now, Baekhyun. There’s no need to be cross with your own mother. I’m sure you still love me deep down. The way that you love this son of Zues.” Her grin switched from slightly pleasant to pure evil when she said those last words.

 

Baekhyun’s cheeks grew red, his eyes daring to leak out tears.

 

Even Junmneyon grew tense looking between the two, having no idea that Baekhyun had ever harboured feelings for Jongdae. It was hard to miss in hindsight. Jongdae had saved Baekhyun from death so many times-been the first one to accept him at camp half blood-helped to become an excellent fighter. All of these things made him a perfect candidate to be loved.

 

“You’re wrong.” Baekhyun spat. 

 

“Oh dear-you’re blushing.”

 

That must have hit a chord in Baekhyun because suddenly he's unsheathed his bow and arrow along his back and aimed it at the goddess herself. 

 

“Baekhyun!” Jongdae yelled from the gazebo, throwing him a look of anger, “That’s enough.”

 

Chanyeol himself straightened his posture from that loud and dominant voice Jongdae held. It was scary. He was one of those people who didn’t want to get angry-because once they were, there was no going back. Jongdae wasn't someone you wanted to piss off. 

 

“I’d like some time alone with my son, please.” Aphrodite waved off the angeredJ Jongdae and scared Junmnyeon.

When the both walked far enough, Aphrodite came to stand in front of her only living son with a sad expression on her face.

 

“He’s not worth pursuing.” She sighed.

 

Baekhyun clenched his fists, “You don’t know what’s best for me.”

 

“Fate won’t allow you to be with man-

 

“You won’t allow it. Not fate. You always meddle-you always ugh!”

 

“I’ve told you this plenty of times. He is not your destiny. I can see and predict your love-life. This man-he’s not the right person.”

 

Chanyeol watched in confusion as the two seemed to be speaking in a type of code language about Baekhyun. So it was confirmed. Baekhyun had feelings for Jongdae but was very on the down low about it. It also seemed that Aphrodite had come to learn about it-immediately shutting it off because she said that Baekhyun and Jongdae...weren’t supposed to be together. Why? 

Perhaps Aphrodite had known all along that Jongdae would grow up to become a rogue demi-god leading Jumnyeon and even Baekhyun in the shadows. Was Aphrodite trying to help her son, or disregard his choices? Chanyeol could understand why Baekhyun was furious with his mother until this day. Had the goddess explained to her son Jongdae’s fate, perhaps Baekhyun would have understood. 

 

“Are you going to help us on this quest or not-otherwise you are no use to me.”

 

“Tsk tsk, you disappoint me son. If you were like one of my daughters-perhaps you would have turned out better. Your father was just like you- stubborn, thought that I owned him my love. Maybe that’s why he left his only son in the dumps. Because of this, my son I will not make your love-life easy. You will suffer hardships-betrayal-defeat.”


 

Baekhyun’s eyes shine with potential tears. Chanyeol could almost see himself break when his mother had said he should have been born as someone else. The demi-god imagined his own father (one he’d patiently waited to meet) say that to him. He would be devastated. Confused most of all because it’s every demigod's dream to meet their god parents. For Baekhyun he’d been outed by both of them.

 

“You’re cruel.” Baekhyun’s voice trembled.

 

“I have given you the gift of life and this is how you repay me?” 

 

Baekhyun’s eyes were glaring holes into his mother, who for lack of a better word, was smiling like she’d just won an argument. Her son’s anger meant nothing more than triumph. A superiority that the gods thought they always had over demigods.

 

“I won’t let you ruin me.” Baekhyun said, his head down now.

 

“I am the god of love. I will do everything in my power to ensure that this son of Zues, Jongdae is not your destiny-even if that means death.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note: Yes so that last scene was dream, tell me if you guys are confused when I put these scenes in. I tried to make it noticeable by italisizing the dialogue. That being say, the story has taken an intresting turn where we find out that Baekhyun used to love jongdae back when they were young, however because her mother did not approve, she made it very hard for them to accept their feelings. Based on the last dialogue it's obvious that Aphrodite had something to do with Jongdae's 'death' or simplly the fact that he didn't come back to camp. Had he gone back, Baekhyun would have been with Jongdae which Aphrodite did not want. You learn about Aphrodite's motives later on in the next few chapters and why she didn't want Baekhyun to be with Jongdae in the end. It's all part of a greater plan. That being say, the gods are not perfect and Aphrodite has done irrational things which justifies Baekhyun's anger towards his own mother. 

Tell me what you guys think! Did you enjoy the fact that we got to know a little big more about Chanyeol's home life? I know in previous chapters, I mentioned that he lived in Washington, but that was in reference to where he was born. After that, his mom and him oved to New York. Sorry if that confused you.