We Were Ships In The Night.

Sweet Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Of course you want to go.” 

Dahyun stopped the action of nervously chewing on her bottom lip as to send Tzuyu the scariest glare she was able pull off. And that’s assuming a lot for a person with round, mushy cheeks, and clothed in checkered ahjussi pants paired with an oversized baby-pink hoodie. 

In other words—looking small, like a baby, and just straight up ridiculous.  

No wonder both Tzuyu and Chaeyoung began laughing at her comical expression. 

“Aish! Why would you even think I want to go?” Dahyun whined, snapping her fingers in front of her friends’ faces. 

Tzuyu composed herself before Chaeyoung, who’s still chuckling in her girlfriend’s embrace at the memory of her best friend’s face. So the youngest took it upon herself to explain calmly: 

“Because you’re bringing those tickets with you everywhere you go.” she pointed at Dahyun’s hoodie pouch, where the blue top corners of her invitations were peeking from. 

Looking down at where Tzuyu’s forefinger was aimed, she had to give herself a mental slap on the face. For being so obvious with considering the offer, despite telling Sana and literally everyone around her that she—dOeSn’t WAnT tO Go. 

Denial was the word.  

One of the few stages indicating that you’re... 

“Falling,” Dahyun tucked the papers deeper inside her pocket sloppily. “For such blatant tricks, Tzu-ssi? Maybe I was about to sell them?” 

It’s not such bad idea, now that she thinks about it. She could earn herself some cash for those pricey little tickets. Treat herself a good, warm meal or some of the recently published books of the author whose work she enjoys. Just that it didn’t sit well with her. To sell a gift, that is. She was taught better than this. 

“Yeah, sure. Gimmie those,” Chaeyoung pushed herself off the couch for a brief moment and snatched the tickets from Dahyun’s hoodie. Sitting right back on Tzuyu’s lap when her theft ended with a success. 

“Hey!” 

“Woah, it looks like a fancy kind of event,” Chaeyoung marveled, ignoring Dahyun’s protests and examining what’s written on the papers in focus.  

Dahyun sighed. “That’s ‘cause it is,” she admitted, pinching the base of her nose. “Part of the reasons why I don’t want to go there.” 

“Correction,” Tzuyu cut in. “That’s the reason you’re hesitating. It’s a difference, unnie.” 

The girl only shook her head slightly as if trying to convince everyone inside the room, that it’s not true. Even herself. 

So what if she’s hesitating? Is it really so weird that she, as economically non-affluent lower-class girl, doesn’t want to go to an event filled with people having sticks far up their butts? With money flying off their silky pockets at the slightest of movements? 

She just wants to spare herself an uncomfortable experience. 

Overlooking the fact that it’s already pretty awkward, because she literally lives next to the girl that keeps on asking her about the said event. And each time, Dahyun would blurt out some quick excuse as to not give Sana an actual answer, disappearing from the scene at the nearest opportunity or the Japanese’s inattentiveness. 

But, as the time flies, the event is getting nearer and nearer, and basal pretexts aren’t enough anymore. 

In about a week, Dahyun needs to give Sana her final answer. 

The thing is, she needs to provide one for herself just as much as she needs to for the other. 

“I think it would be stupid of you, if you chose not to go,” Chaeyoung concluded, giving tickets back to Dahyun. “From the looks of it, you seem to like that Sana girl.” 

“Yeah. She’s kinda weird, but looks like she can be sweet too.” Tzuyu added. 

At this point it is beyond Dahyun’s comprehension how Sana is able to woo people that hadn’t really met her in the first place. Looks like they’ll need to add fights over the “natural charmer” title to their already long- list of things to banter over. 

Dahyun lets out a heavy breath through as she sits down next to her friends. 

Massages her temples leisurely as the other two watch her movements with so much anticipation, like she was about to do something remarkable any second. 

The long silence packed up with suspense was broken only after a sudden, docile interjection: 

“I’ll need your help.” 

 

*** 

 

Dahyun was stubborn and obstinate like no other person Sana had the opportunity meeting. 

But that was also what had drawn her in when it came to the younger. The tsundere behaviour, bantering over the smallest of things, constant denying and contradicting her emotions, even if they were just so obvious... 

Dahyun had a large collection of books. Varying. From poetry to novels. Psychological, gothic fiction from Allan Poe, to the tedious realism of Flaubert. Dystopian, sci-fi world penned by Dashner, to the magical, dreamy lands described in the Harry Potter series. And there were plenty of romance novels too, surprisingly.  

Sana had the pleasure of organizing her bookshelf, and so she knew exactly just how. But for someone as well-read, tender and smart... She was also one of the densest people for Sana to encounter. 

Meanest at times, also.  

When Sana had been nothing but sweet to her, Dahyun had the tendency to blow that steam of her advances off in a bat of an eye. Not worrying about being particularly harsh with her methods. Though it had that candied kind of charm lingering somewhere, as if she could be just as caring, but chose not to. Was afraid, or hesitant to. 

After all, Sana was as sweet as chocolate. The purest, honeyed kind, that may even overwhelm you at times with how sugary it feels in your mouth. Melting at your tongue just in that right, most pleasurable, yet intense and addicting way.  

Dahyun was different. Hers kind was filled with a biting spice, putting you off at the unwelcoming feeling and irksomely stinging sensation. Like cinnamon. Having to give it some time to get use to that peculiar taste, in order to begin feeling its rewarding in sweetness part. 

As foolish and confusing as those comparisons may sound. 

But Dahyun was very much both of those things. 

Like, when she left her a message saying to “Wear something nice.”, with a full stop and all, on the day of Momo’s dancing competition, only to show up in front of her door in a two-pieced, business black suit, but with a colourful vintage, almost hipster-like shirt tucked underneath the elegant blazer. (Confusing...) Trying so hard to wear an unfazed and utterly disinterest expression, only to drop it completely at the sight of Sana in a mid-thigh, beautiful black dress. (In all foolishness.) 

“Nice enough for you?” Sana teases with a toothy grin. 

Dahyun blinked her eyes a few times before tearing them away from Sana’s body curves, complemented in every way possible by her stunning attire choice.  

“W-Will do.” 

Sana giggles and wraps her arm around the younger’s that, unexpectedly, let her, and even seemed to savor that act for a quick moment.  

“What’s with the shirt choice?” the Japanese asks, while leading them to her car. “Want everyone in the venue to know your uality?” 

Dahyun groans harmonize weirdly with Sana’s laughter as they walk out of the condominium together. 

“It’s my friend’s. One didn’t have a shirt that fitted, and the other has a closet filled with clothes that scream GAY! from miles away. They’ll be joining us today, you’ll see what I mean.” 

“Sure. Not that I mind, though,” said Sana. “You look adorable.” 

“Adorable?” Dahyun laughs with her brows raised in disbelief. 

Sana grin widens. “Yeah, like a cute little painter. I could tuck you in my pocket.” 

“Thank god this dress doesn’t have any pockets, then.” 

Something tender dawdles behind that sarcastic comment. Made to be bitter, but thawing sweet on Sana’s tongue nonetheless. The girl smiles at the realization as they’ve stood still after reaching her car successfully.  

Decides to give Dahyun a taste of her own medicine. Of that weird pungent sensation, filling you with warmth despite warning to keep distance prior. And she did that by pinching her on the cheek.  

Hard in its gentleness.  

Sweet in bitterness. 

 

*** 

 

A single step inside the venue was enough to make Dahyun uncomfortable. Funny how that feeling only came after excusing herself through a bunch of middle-aged people in expensive suits and gowns in order to get to her seat, and not when Sana held her hand so she wouldn’t lose her in that conspicuous crowd. 

She blushed madly when she realized, yes. That she was sure she wouldn’t be able to suppress even if she’d used all of her might. 

But it was almost worrying in a sense, how comfortable she’d gotten to her neighbour’s presence. Why? She didn’t know. Just that it was, and how much it became so painfully hard to keep hidden. 

The performances were about to start anytime soon, and there was still no Chaeyoung and Tzuyu in sight. That got Dahyun feeling anxious, as the duo wouldn’t be able to enter the venue at all once the clocks show 8PM. 

However, just as she informed Sana she’s about to give them a call, in walks two complete polar opposites. Ying and yang. Tied to each other through holding one another tightly by hand. 

And so Sana immediately got the point Dahyun was trying to prove while explaining her clothing choice. Seeing one tall, elegant girl, with her light brown hair tied in a loose ponytail and dressed in a striped two-piece suit, and the other—exceptionally short, with ash-blonde hair, wearing a colourfully patterned shirt, tucked inside white, neatly pressed trousers. 

Dahyun’s friends really seemed like the two ends of lesbian fashion spectrum. 

“Howdy bro!” the short one bawled, making every person near their seats send them a displeased look. 

Her significant other hid her face behind her free palm in embarrassment, simultaneously with her best friend that cringed in her seat. Though the latter pushed herself up and grabbed the outstretched hand offering a handshake, as soon as those two were close to them. 

“Glad you came,” Dahyun said, moving away from Chaeyoung as to hug Tzuyu closely. “What took you so long?” 

“Chae couldn’t find a place to park,” Tzuyu explained, slowly pulling away from her embrace. “We were circling around the venue for like fifteen minutes.” 

“At least you’re here now,” Dahyun took a few steps backwards and gestured towards Sana. “This is my neighbour, Sana.” then towards her friends. “That’s Chaeyoung, and this is Tzuyu.” 

“Nice to meet you! Thank you for coming today!” Sana beamed as she squeezed each of the girls’ hands with vigour. 

“Thank you for dragging our unnie out of her house for once,” 

Dahyun could only sigh at Tzuyu’s words as Sana’s chuckles escaped out of . 

“You’re even prettier than our Dubu described you to us,” Chae grinned teasingly. “But I can’t quite find the ‘glistening Bambi-like amber eyes’ she’s been babbling about... Dahyun-unnie, where are they?” 

The Korean swears on her life that she’s mostly a pacifist, and won’t go as far as to use violence against someone, unless it’s a way of self-defense. But right in that moment, when her friends’ loud laughter caused even more eyes to turn their direction, and the playful remark (inholding a comment she’d let slip out in confidence JUST ONCE in their presence) is now making her plus-one blush madly by her side—Dahyun felt bloodlust like no other. 

Her record couldn’t withhold any crime in that matter, but murder in particular, if she wants to pursue any of her dreams further. But, thankfully, the turning-off lights indicating the performances are just about to start, deterred her urge to choke her best friends until they turn purple. 

The four sat down as to not divert any more attention, patiently waiting for the MC to step up on the stage and announce the first performance. 

Just as Dahyun calmed down her nerves, a warm breath hitting her ear made her jolt in her seat. 

“So you talk to your friends about me?” Sana whispered, a smile distinguishable in her tone. 

Dahyun groaned softly, sliding down further against her seat.  

Perhaps she would be better off rotting inside her bedroom all day. Watching cartoons, or maybe that new haunting series Netflix had recently released. But then, she wouldn’t have felt Sana’s slim fingers sneak around her arm as to pull her a little closer, in an awkward side-hug. 

Perhaps she could get used to that feeling, and endure teasing from both Sana and her friends, as well as the annoying embarrassment colouring her cheeks and ears each time. 

The lights turned back on. 

Perhaps she shouldn’t be looking at Sana in that moment. 

As her ethereal beauty, now in all its glory, blinded Dahyun to the extent of becoming oblivious to the fact her devoted gaze is being returned. 

 

*** 

 

It took exactly six stages before they’ve announced Mina and Momo’s performance. 

Six stages of the exact same type of dance, which was ballet, with the only exception of being performed by different people and with slightly different kind of music. Of course the choreographies were undoubtedly all original. But for a person like Dahyun, who’s anything but a balletomane, they could’ve been the exact same and she wouldn’t be able to tell them apart either. 

And she wasn’t the only one, as it turned out. 

Just like herself, her friends seemed disinterested in watching all those heteronormative pairs onstage. If the bag of jellybeans Chaeyoung had pulled of her bag at some point, was anything to go with. 

Sana was paying attention the most out of the four seated on the third front row. She tried to shush the group of friends each time their hushed conversations were becoming too loud, and smacked Dahyun’s bicep when she yawned with an open mouth. 

However, even Sana wasn’t strong and well-mannered enough to deny herself a jelly snake once the bag of Starbursts was passed on to her. 

Though, the interest of the rouge three was caught immediately, after familiar names were recited by the MC of the evening. 

“Please give a round of applause for Hirai Momo and Myoui Mina!” 

“Myoui?” Sana heard Dahyun repeating the surname under her breath. 

She’d sent her a brief look, confused as to what she had meant by it, but was forced to focus her attention on the stage once more as two silhouettes made their way onto it. 

Sana leaned as to whisper “That’s them!” so the three would know. 

Two piano keys were heard as the crowd’s clapping died down, the intro to a remixed Beyonce’s hit. Sana knew her best friend was a huge fan of the American singer, and all those times she was forced to listen to Momo’s butchering the English lyrics when they’ve gone for a karaoke night together, had paid off in ways that got Sana recognizing the song instantly just by those two repetitive keys.  

Lights turned vibrant red and the performance started, making Sana swallow a squeal of excitement upon seeing her best friend on stage. But a huge smile overtook her features anyways as she watched the two take their positions. 

The dance stood out the most out of all the performances, first main distinction being the same couple that’s performing. The story behind it also took a different approach than the ones they’ve seen before—a one of an abusive relationship that ended up with one character (portrayed by Momo) getting her love (Mina) killed. It was a mixture between ballet and contemporary dance. Two contradictory genres that blended together so well, it got Sana at the verge of holding her breath. Being mesmerized by the way those two moved, or more like flowed, on the main stage before their eyes. 

Sana looked to her left just to make sure, she's not the only one feeling that way. 

And of course, she wasn’t proven wrong. 

Both Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were watching the stage with their mouths ajar, muttering quiet compliments about how well those two told a story so deep and dark without using any words. Dahyun, on the other hand, moved at the edge of her seat with both of her palms pressed to her lips. As if wanting to get a better look at the two dancers, moving ever so gracefully. 

It was all so magical, with both how well Sana’s best friend performed and how engaged the people she came here with were.  

Just that... 

“What a bull!” Dahyun exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. 

“Agreed,” Chaeyoung nodded her head rapidly. “Last place my . Those uneducated, heteronormative, old-, witch-looking hags of a jury, know absolutely nothing about art!” 

Tzuyu was quick to pinch her on the side. “Be quiet, they could be here somewhere!” 

“Ow! But that’s true, though! And they should be aware of that.” 

“I demand a rematch. Is that a thing in dancing competitions? Whatever, don’t tell me, I don’t care. They should do one, it’s ing unfair.” Dahyun murmured. 

Sana walked with the three to the backstage, where they were supposed to meet Momo and Mina after the performance. She couldn’t deny that she was enraged too about them getting the last place, even despite being the most original with their choreography. The smallest cash prize and some certificate, an amends for putting them so low on the ranking. Although, Sana was nowhere near as angered as Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu, that just couldn’t stop rambling about how unfairly the jury treated the Japanese duo the moment they’ve announced the winners. 

“Calm down,” Sana uttered between her chuckles.  Dahyun’s head a little so she would stop frowning. “I’m pissed too, but there’s nothing we can do about their decision.” 

“Still, it’s just so unfair! I swear, those biased, homophobic jury are blind or something. Your friend was hounded times better than all those other dancers combined!” 

“Thank you, stranger.” 

The three stopped in their tracks upon hearing another voice join the conversation.  

In front of them stood Momo with Mina following to her place few steps behind. Barefaced and in their casual attire, holding duffel bags, presumably containing stage outfits they had on while performing. 

Sana smiled at her best friend and ran towards Momo, enveloping her into a quick hug. 

“Everyone, meet Momoring! My

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter