Tell Me Your Wish.

Sweet Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the haste of Itaewon’s vibrant charm on this October night, Sana had forgotten about one of the most important rules known to those of her kind. 

Do not trust any men.  

Even those with handsome faces embodying those seen on magazines or television. With dark eyes and a little grown out, charming military haircuts. Thos with full lips stretching into innocent smiles, delivering words that drip with seemingly even purer intentions.  

Especially those with fat wallets, cold manners, and inherited businesses. Promising safe and financially secure futures, on the condition you obediently stay by their side. Even those calling themselves your only family.

Sana had learnt a few things over the span of passing years she’d wasted on meeting numerous guys on a variety of different occasions. Most of them consisting of information on who to avoid at all cost.

So how the  the self-proclaimed expert in this field, found herself turning a blind eye on some of the most vivid red flags? 

Maybe the blame was on alcohol, running down  exceptionally smooth and sweet that night. Or perhaps on how copiously it fed her ego whenever she’d caught a man following her with his gaze. Or on how they went out of their way to ask her to dance or buy her a drink even more so than they usually do. 

Witch came to much of a surprise to Sana, whose cellphone began blowing up at exactly 9:11AM on Saturday 31st October. Waking her up from an extremely enjoyable dream wherein she was petting a big, friendly Sumatran tiger. A dream so peculiar, yet feeling her with such instense feeling of warmth, she wished she'd stay tucked in the arms of Morpheus for a little bit longer. 

Messages floating her phone informing that Momo is waiting outside her apartment, accompanied by “a 0.5l bottle of vodka and good ing news”. Dear god... 

Sana had taken it upon herself to tone down her best friend’s enthusiasm by snatching the bottle of hard liquor from her grip the moment she’d opened the door, only to slam it shut in her face once she'd succeeded. Of course she’d let the young alcoholic inside in a matter of a minute filled with series of furious knocks and loud whines rebounding against the corridor’s walls outside. She just had to express her annoyance first.  

You can’t blame her though. Momo wanted to drink at nine in the morning, after waking her nighthawk of a best friend who’d stayed up again the night prior, and gave her no time to make herself even a little bit more presentable. ‘Just a little payback,’ Sana thought. 

However, she felt somehow remorseful only after she’d heard the news that got the Japanese so excited in the first place. A little project assigned to the dancing major with a girl she’d been secretly crushing on ever since the first grade, enough to persuade Sana into celebrating with the beverage she’d meant to hide from Momo’s sight for good. 

Just a few drops into the tea she’d brewed, though. The rest goes into Sana’s refrigerator. 

It was still only nine after all. 

Regardless, they’ve settled on a postponement of the voluntary destruction of their livers as all the fun in Itaewon begins once the sun sets.  

Especially since it’s Halloween. 

Sana would've been more than happy if not for the fact that because of Momo, the most accurate costume judging by her current state, would be one of a zombie. 

(“I could go as Harley Quinn” Sana ponders. 

Momo breaks into laughter, causing the younger Japanese to shift her gaze from the reflection of her tired eyes and puffy cheeks, onto the one of the girl behind her. 

“She isn’t a zombie.” Momo explains. 

Sana gasps surprised as her body spins to fully face her best friend. 

“She isn’t?!”) 

So, if she’s the one to blame for Sana’s grumpy behaviour and sallow, undead-like appearance—it’s only fair if it’s Momo who’s helping her get ready for the events that are about to come later that day, right? Luckily, the older is very fond of giving makeovers and hours-long shopping trips (blame the hundreds of times she’d watched The Princess Diaries), so it doesn’t take much for Sana to talk her into the idea. 

And boy... Had she done one hell of an amazing job. 

It wasn’t until Sana had moved to Itaewon when she was introduced to the American tradition of celebrating Halloween. And to say she was just merely intrigued, was a misunderstanding to say the least. 

All the eccentric costumes and freaky makeups that you get to see while walking down the streets of Itaewon, was so magical and entertaining, that it got Sana started to plan on her own freakish attire, and decorating apartment with little pumpkin ornaments on the very first day of October. Some would say it’s quite childish of her, to be that thrilled just by the thought of being clothed in a bizarre array and going out on the streets like it’s the most normal thing to wear. But she’d disagree. 

And even if it’s a sign of the Japanese being a completely immature airhead and a dork underneath, she did not think of it as one of her flaws. 

If anything, Sana felt like it’s her strongest advantage. 

This, as well as her . Looking just right in that glittery turquoise bodysuit of Mera, The Queen of Atlantis. 

Though, if giving up the absolutely stunning and flattering costume of Aquaman’s wife meant less intrusive men following her around like little puppies, she’d gladly go out dressed in that huge Fanfan Chuu outfit, Momo had shown to her only as a joke. 

“Would you like to come up and have Ramyeon with me?” 

Throughout the night, Sana couldn’t shake off the feeling that Minseok thought she’s just dumb. Even though out of the two, he was the one whose head was definitely more than empty. 

The only reason she hasn’t rejected his advances straight off the bat, was that Minseok happened to be much kinder than the rest of the men approaching her and Momo that night. His eyes didn’t wander even half as much towards her chest area while she tried to make a conversation too. And that’s a big plus from Sana. 

However, she wasn’t interested in the man at all.  

This man moved like a statue on the dance floor, too nervous and awkward to shake off the stiffness of his arms and limbs, making Sana look like a fool doing all this work alone. He didn't even look cute or anything while in this flustered state. Just painfully uncomfortable. Sana still couldn't wrap her head around how the absolute best he could do was a meek hip wobble, whilst getting the best twerk of his life, but that's on him.

Still, the problems didn't stay on the dace floor.

Whenever they were in a conversation, it would cut off rather quickly with a heavy, awkward silence, wherein Momo had to save their pathetic asses with a toast or some random remark. And the chemistry between the two of them was just like between a rock and a tree. It was extremely gut-wrenching to even watch, not to mention being involved in this one hell of a mess.

But it would’ve been just rude to blow him off like that. Especially since Momo had made him buy almost every drink available on the menu.  

Sana really didn't like people being wasteful with their money, for obvious reasons. Too bad her fellow Japanese best friend didn't share her views on that particular topic. For Momo, if someone willingly offered to pay for you, there was no point in stopping them. And Minseok seemed to have that typical chivalrous and masculine mentality, wherein it was practically hurtful for his ego when a girl payed just as much, if not more, than a guy she's with. 

Sana remembered thinking, military must really do something to you, if when on leave you’re that desperate to get yourself laid. Wasting both your money and time on a girl that’s anything but interested in you. And her best friend that’s been especially flat-out with dropping hints that Sana would much rather entertain herself with some cute girl rather than a guy like Minseok. 

And if that wasn’t enough to make Sana feel guilty, once Momo passed out from all those unpaid cocktails and shots, Minseok voluntarily helped her transport the sleeping Cruella de Vil all the way to her condo. 

Sana prayed that if she’d  Minseok to his house once they’re done dropping Momo off, the favour will be returned and they would finally part ways. End this night on a good note and never see each other again. 

Only now she saw how stupid and naive that was of her to even think that. 

“No, thanks,” she replied instantly, shaking her head as if to make herself clearer. “I’m good.” 

A ing euphemism for inviting a girl for ... How stupid does he exactly think Sana is? 

It was probably due to her confessing she’s a Japanese at some point of the night. The self-declared patriot most likely thinks Sana’s too dense and innocent to understand the Korean circumlocution, and what exactly it implies. Too bad for him, Sana's not an easy girl.

“Are you sure? I’m actually a pretty great cook, you see.” Minseok leaned forward a little while giving her a subtle smile, which only made Sana want to slap it off his pretty face.  

And to think she’d fell for the “nice guy” act... Maybe she is as stupid as Minseok thinks after all. 

Yet she still didn’t want to be rude with declining so suddenly. The fool began thinking, maybe at the end it was her that was at fault for being too indecisive and polite, which was what gave him the wrong idea in the first place. 

“R-Really, oppa,” Sana closed her eyes and inhaled through the nose, missing the smirk that grew on the man’s face. “It’s late, I should go home. You’ve already done so--” 

“I hope you’re not calling other guys like that.” 

Sana’s mouth was left hanging in an unfinished excuse.  

Stayed like that because this guy really was as dumb as a whole bag of bricks and driven by an unfulfilled want to have tonight.  

It annoyed the crap out of her. She really thought he’s just a little better than this. 

Hence, just like this, Sana’s officially done being civil with this dude. 

“Goodbye, Minseok.” the girl uttered with a stony expression and her heel. Started walking away in an instance. 

She’d only managed to make a few steps though, until a firm hand laid on her shoulder, making her stop abruptly in her tracks. 

“Oh, come on!” Minseok whined like a little child. “Don’t you find me attractive?”

“No.” Sana said. 

The guy scoffed. Smiled as if he saw right through the girl in front of him. “Yeah, right.” 

"Look, I really appreciate your help with taking care of Momo and all... But really, just leave me alone."

"Now why would I do that?"

The girl inhaled sharply through her nose.

“Minseok, the only way to persuade me into visiting your apartment tonight, is to promise me a pretty girl waiting for me up there.” Sana then spat. Turned around swiftly and subsequently started walking ahead again, taking advantage of Minseok's current stunned state. She needed to get out of the neighbourhood and onto the main street. 

As fast as her weak legs would allow her. 

“I don’t believe you!” unfortunately, Minseok had caught up with her rather quick. Sana’s still only surrounded by the quiet households and passing by much unhelpful lampposts. “You wouldn’t have stuck around me for so long if you never wanted anything.” 

“I was just being nice to you,” she admitted. “I was never interested.” 

Sana turned left. An alley with few shops opened, and even fewer people around. 

Still not good. 

“You’re being a .” 

She’d passed by a newsagent's and a convenience store. Speed walking like crazy in her over the knee wedge-heeled shoes. 

“Sana?” 

‘Just a couple of blocks more’ she chanted in her head. 

“Oi!” the hand on her shoulder returned. Only this time, it grabbed her hard and forcefully spun around as to face the man it belonged to. 

“Do you know how much money I’ve lashed out on you and your friend tonight?” Minseok gritted his teeth.  

Sana withdrew her head a little upon the sharp alcohol smell hitting her right in the face. Then swallowed the fear of being tossed around like an object and back onto the man’s neighbourhood. “You’re a grown man, nobody forced you to swing your wallet around like a flag.” 

'What a ing .' Sana thought. She had to physically restrain herself from slapping him hard, by clenching her hands into little fists, because that just wouldn't help her case at all. Out of all people, he just had to be that type of person. The all proper and polite gentleman, until something's not getting his way. The one caring more about his precious money than consent and other people's comfort. Arguably, the type Sana hates the most.

Men really ain't , huh?

“I did that because I thought I’d get something in return!” he hissed, veins starting to pop out on his left temple. “Something other than uncalled-for attitude!” 

Sana chuckled mockingly. “Not my fault you’re thinking with your .” 

Minseok tightened his grip on her, making the Japanese choke on a yelp and stumble an inch closer to him. “Don’t act like you don’t own me something. Quit the hard-to-get act, 'cause you’re not making an impression on anyone.” 

Sana wished her plastic trident wasn’t left forgotten in Momo’s apartment. Resting like everything’s fine near her bed stand, absorbing all the sounds of peaceful snores and sheets shuffling. That little treacherous bastard... 

The golden toy could’ve been really useful in this situation, whereas she’s alone on a remotely quiet street, no weapon at hand to defend herself, and a buff guy having a death grip on her left arm, pulling her to the opposite side as to where Sana would rather be. 

Minseok might be quite short (only about three inches taller than her), but he’s anything but weak. Sana is still kicking herself for taking the notice of his impressive posture first, and not all the red flags literally attached to it. 

The more power Sana had lost over her own feet whilst being pulled by Minseok, the more she started to panic.  

Her mind jumped restlessly over all the self-defense moves she might’ve scrolled through on Twitter at some point in her life, alongside with her eyes that began to look for that weak points where her frail punches would do the most damage. 

And then it clicked. 

The area that Minseok used the most as to unburden his brain from all this thinking. 

“Ah!” the man roared in pain, hands instantly moving to grip his crotch, where Sana’s foot just laid a paralyzing blow on. 

The Japanese fled the moment his fingers started to loosen up the hold they had on her. Turning around in a matter of seconds and running towards the most likely crowded street in the nearby area. 

Sana likes to think she knew a thing or two about the Koreans, now that she’s been living amongst them for quite some time. 

One of them being—among their priorities, minding their own business stands pretty much at the top. 

Which sometimes really  since it made them completely useless in situations like this one, in which our poor Minatozaki had found herself in. Her interactions with Minseok would’ve been most likely seen only as a love quarrel of some sort, in which not even a single passerby would like to get themselves involved in. 

Fortunately, for Sana’s case, she was in Itaewon. The most popular area among tourists. 

During Halloween. 

There should be just the right number of foreigners around to reach out to. 

“Help me!” 

Sana was always terrible in English. But she only knew so much, and it didn’t take a C2 level of knowledge in communication in order to attract some attention. 

“Somebody, help!” 

The first mistake of her night was that she didn’t say “no” the first second she started feeling like it. 

The second being the moment when she heard a shout from behind and, instead of speeding up, she’d looked back. 

Moments like this remind her of all the times she was teased by Momo for being a slow- runner and a cluts. Moments like tripping over nothing just because she’d turned her head around and wasn't looking where she's going. Instead, noticing the person she’s been running away from, trailing behind so dangerously close. 

Right now, she’d found herself down on the ground. On that glorious of hers. 

Minseok began slowing down to a casual jog, beaming at the fact that no one around seemed to be keen on helping the Queen of Atlantis out.  

“Found you,” he sang. 

So ing sure of himself. 

That is until... 

“Is everything alright?” 

Sana’s heart began beating faster upon hearing an unfamiliar voice cut in. “Oh, thank god,” she breathed out, feeling a little glad smile forming with that. 

But then she’d gazed at the person coming to her rescue, and the expression fell as fast as it became discernible on her little dolled-up face. No thanks came to her mind now that she’s looking straight at her hero, as to the only thought left in her head was that... 

She’s so ed. 

 

*** 

 

“You’re ed, Kim Dahyun! How could you?!” 

The loud shout coming through the speaker made the girl flinch in her seat a little. Phone away from her ear for her miserable eardrums’ sake. 

“I’m sorry, okay?” she apologizes once she’s over the shock caused by her best friend’s booming voice. 

“I’ve spent ing days cutting that damn wig and customizing scissor-gloves, unnie! I got five burn marks on my hand from using a glue gun. Five!” a thumb and forefinger pinch the nose bridge as she listens to the younger’s chaotic rant. “Don’t even get me started on the amount of makeup tutorials I had to watch...” 

“Chae, you know I would much rather spend the day with you. It’s just that my parents--” 

“Oh, damn right I know,” Chaeyoung cuts in. “And your parents I know too. That’s exactly why I’m pissed, Dahyun. How could you wait till the last minute to tell them?” 

“It’s just that I didn’t want to be shouted at for wanting to celebrate the ‘devil’s holiday’, okay?!” her shoulders made their way to meet the bottom of her ears, as the girl tried her best to explain herself over the phone. Voice growing an octave higher, indicating fear of her best friend hating her guts now that she knows she won’t be seeing her today. 

“My mom just really needs me today, bro,” but the terror of the mood becoming somber had proved itself to be even more terrifying, because it wasn’t even a second after that confession, when her tone turned teasing:  

“Besides, you get to spend some time alone with Tzuyu. Aren’t you happy?” 

“Oh, d-don't... D-Do not play that card with me!” Chaeyoung transforming from a fuming tiger into stuttering little cub just at the mention of her girlfriend, put a victorious smirk on her face. “But speaking of Tzuyu, she also thinks you’re a for ditching on us.” 

“Ah, you don’t say...” 

She hears Chaeyoung pacing around, most likely as to find the mentioned girl. She stops only after series of noises, creaks and rattles were heard on the other line. 

“Right?” she asks, just before a monotonous voice announces loudly: “You’re a .” 

She only rolls her eyes at that. 

Chaeyoung’s hyper tone returns in a matter of seconds. “Did you hear that?” 

“Yeah, I did,” she sighs lowly. “Chaeng, there was really nothing I could do. I’m very sorry, I’ll visit you once I get the next chance to, I promise.” 

“Yeah, yeah,” the cub exhales lackadaisically. “I know, just... I just wish you could make it somehow.” 

She bites her lip in order to hold in the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter