Mandarin Oranges between Baked goods and Hand shakes

Vroom vroom


"I will go home soon." Minju repeats this mantra in her head, sipping her flat white as she walks towards the elevator.

*ding

She walks out the elevator and rushes to her mom's office.

"It's only 9:21, I still have time to bake cookies."
"Maybe I could document them while they're still in the ov-"

Her thoughts were cut as she saw a woman enter her mom's office.
"Mom said I won't have to meet anyone. Why is someone in there?"

She waited a few minutes before proceeding.

As Minju nears the office, she met her mother's eyes.

Ayayay. Minju opened the door and sat parallel to the woman she saw moments ago.

"You see Yena, paying damages isn't the only way to address your guilt. As your boss, I can see how you own up."

The hair on Minju's neck stood up. Her mom sounds stern.

"I know you can pay. I know you can work extra. But I don't want to just be a boss. I see your potential, Yena. I want to be inspiring, a mentor, so let me start with you."

Minju tried to think about her baked goods as she was starting to get confused with what she's hearing.

Until she heard the woman speak.
"Mrs. Kim, how would you like me to take responsibility of this?"

"You aren't seeing anyone, are you?"

"No."

"Sweetheart, this is Choi Yena. Yena, this is my daughter Minju."

Minju shook Yena's hand. Minju's starting to worry. Why is she meeting her mother's employee at this hour? What will the woman pay for?

She glanced at Yena and worried more as she saw her eyes.
"Oh, she looks clueless as I am. What is she paying for though?"

Thoughts are filling up her mind. Mrs. Kim spoke again.

"Yena."
"Would you be interested in my daughter?"

"May you kindly elaborate on that?"

"Yena stop being so formal. Just agree with me?"

"What about me taking respon-"

"Ms. Choi just answer."

Silence. Minju hears the audible clicking of the pendulum on the table.

Yena glances up. She looked directly at her.

"Minju, nice meeting you. Does my presence make you uncomfortable?"

"Not really we only met."

-

"Mrs. Kim, may you please repeat your question."

"Would you be interested in my daughter?"

"K sure I don't really mind."

Confused was an understatement. Why is her mother giving her away? She still doesn't know what this Yena girl will pay for. Yena smells like mandarin oranges. What is Yena signing?

"Mom, don't I get a say in this?"

Yena glances up again. Mrs. Kim stood up.

"Dear, I am not giving you away if that's what you're thinking. I am simply asking Ms. Choi to help you with your hobby."
"I already mentioned it to her before you've arrived. If you were paying attention you would've heard it."

"I already have Wonnie for help. I appreciate your thoughtfulness, Mom. But Ms. Choi has a job too. I'm pretty sure she would like to spend her free time elsewhere."

"Oh dear, I'm doing you both a favor. Yena here doesn't even leave the office. You don't go out the house. You kids need to socialize more. Y'all introverts need people in your life."

"Yena, drive for us. Let's use your car."
Mrs. Kim instructed as she strutted her way out.
Yena neatly placed the signed contract in her mother's drawer.

"Minju, let's go?"

Minju opened the door for Yena.

"Why did I open the door for her?"
Minju questioned herself as she followed the two to the parking lot.

"It's 9:49, my cookies can wait 'til tomorrow." Minju told herself as she sat shotgun. "Why does my mom carry too much stuff? I can't even sit beside her." Minju complained in her head.


-


"Kim Minju. Kim Minju. Please wake up. You're home now. Kim Minju. Ms. Minju. Ms. Kim."

Minju opened her eyes. There was light. Then there was Yena. Yena's tapping the window.

"Ms. Kim, I already helped your mother bring her stuff inside. Please go now, I want to go home."

Yena opened the door for her.

"Thank you for the ride. Please drive safe."

They shook hands again. Mandarin oranges.

She went inside. "It's 10:51. Wonnie's probs asleep. Perhaps I should sleep too."