The Rain

Passing Under The Rainbow

It was Saturday. You were making your way down the road to Auntie Wong’s restaurant--the scent of tobacco and a bit of smog passes you, cool air hitting your face. You knew he didn’t work on weekends, so you were in the clear to enjoy yourself tonight. After the events of Thursday, you had been avoiding Yuk-Hei to the best of your abilities, being anymore but home. You were embarrassed, about a lot things--him, sneaking up on you, you feeling your heart flutter just from seeing his skin.

Finding Yuk-Hei attractive, what were you, crazy? You’re not a teenage girl anymore. Things like cute, lovable boys didn’t move you like before. Moreover...it’s best to crush those feelings before they foster a new life...especially since you’ve already become attached.

You wore a black, form fitting dress. Your face was free of makeup, except for black lining your dark eyes, and lips the color of cool burnt umber. Your dark hair is careless tousled, some falling in your bare face.

Priscilla Chan’s elegant, lovestruck voice plays from a record player inside, and you’re comforted by the full but homely feel of the restaurant. You spot Auntie Wong acting as Hostess, checking a young couple in before she spots you.

“Auntie!”

“Y/N! You haven’t eaten here in awhile, if my son doesn’t go over often, I would think something was wrong! Come on, your food is on the house today.” She rushes over, pulling into a tight hug. You feel yourself melt into her warm embrace.

“Gosh, Auntie, you don’t have to do that. You know I can’t stay away from your food. Is Grandma here? I want to thank her for sending vegetables the last time.”

“She checked in early, now come--let’s find you a seat!”

She ushers to a surprisingly empty table for two and...waves Yuk-Hei over. You try to cover your face, but i t's too late. He’s looking a bit rushed, seeing that business was busy tonight. He had his hair tucked under a black bandana, a black apron tied around his jean clad waist. He had a notepad in his hand, a tray in the other. You lock eyes with him, despite your efforts to avoid him. 

“Teacher Y/L/N!” 

You give him a small, guilty smile.

“Son, take Y/N’s order, will you?”

He nods, his gaze not breaking yours. Glancing at his mother walking away to entertain other guests, he moves his focus on you.

“I thought you don’t work on weekends?”

He frowns, tucking a careless curl behind your ear.

“My mom needed more help tonight. Don’t try to change the subject. I know you’ve been avoiding me.”

“I...I haven’t.” You say, avoiding his wide and dark eyes.

“Yes you have. We need to talk--” Yuk-Hei glances at the crowd of people, “--later. The usual, Teacher Y/L/N?” You say yes and he disappears to the kitchen, only reappearing much later with a bowl of curry chicken at least a cup worth of rice.

“Remember, later.” You nod, watching him stalk off to serve another table. Despite your anxious attitude, the arousing smell of the food in front of you luls you over.

“Oh, that looks delicious.” Your eyes switch from your glorious dinner to a young man that looks to be around your age who says the sentence in English. His hair was long and voluminous--which makes him look a bit like Uncle Jackie—he wore a golden chain that held a heart-shaped locket. He was wearing a black, D.A.R.E muscle shirt and leather pants. Kind of looked like western prince born from eastern parents.

“It is. Told you, Auntie Wong’s food is THE best.” You reply with a smile, gesturing for him to sit down since it's probably next to impossible for him to find a seat. A clap of thunder catches attention, with the sound of a heavy downpour of rain.

You and the mystery man look at each-other with incredulous looks, before bursting out in laughter.

"Y/N."

He looks at your outstretched hand before shaking it--a lot.

"Hendery." 

You're bewildered, repeating, "Hendery?"

"Ah...when I chose my English name I meant to choose Henry but I spelled it wrong..."

You stare at him, sporting a complicated expression...before you screech in a fit of laughter.

You stop when he gives you deep, disapproving grimace.

"...oh, you serious?" He nods, looking uncomfortable as your laughter seems to attract unwanted stares.

“Well, ahem--Hendery, are you a tourist?” He nods his head, taking his seat.

“I’m going to visit my girlfriend in Kowloon City.” He gestures to his locket, which he opens, revealing him and a cute girl, posing at an amusement park.

"Oh, she's cute~" You tease nudging a bit, showing a knowing smile, only to notice after that his eyes were glued to the table.

You catch him staring at your still steaming hot curry, hungrily.  You hand him the spoon at your table, taking the fork.

"Here. Think of this as an apology for laughing at your name—plus, I can't finish this by myself. Auntie Wong always gives me a lot of food." Hendery eyes dart between you and the curry—eventually he takes a bite, his eyes lighting up soon after.

“Ah, this is awesome!”

“Right? Auntie Wong’s food is the best!” You chat with him for a while after. You learn he was from Macau and his girlfriend from Toronto—after her mother remarried, her step-father a native Hong-Konger she ended up in Kowloon City.

“Seriously though, when first came up I thought you were in a biker gang.” Hendery winks at her, gesturing to his leather clad outfit.

“And I drove in here on one. Cool, right?” You giggle at his ridiculousness, 

You both jump, everyone else seems to pipe to listen to whatever going on--until you hear something drop and scatter. Your head turns in the direction of the commotion--you soon see Yuk-Hei looking at you, looking enraged and...slightly hurt. He leer at the Macau native next you almost with contempt--survey between the young men, confused as the person seated with you

Yuk-Hei, through the gaggle of people, straight to you. His large hand seizes your wrist--you shoot from your seat, about to give hima mouth full when you see his face--contorted with displeasure, his expression akin to a child losing his favorite toy.

You take a breath, asking calmly, 

“What are you doing?”

“We’re leaving.”

“And going where, Yuk-Hei? It’s pouring outside!” You’re pulled, away from your table, out of the restaurant, to the storm outside. You become drenched, your clothes sticking to you like a second skin--your backed up against a wall by Yuk-Hei,  stare bruns you.

“Who was that?”

His sullen look pulls at your heart, tugging it with every second.

“Ah, who? Hendery?”

He jeers at your answer.

“You ignore me but you talk with that guy so easily?” You feel a bit of disdain at his intrusion. Why should he care who you speak with or not to? Feeling yourself soaked, Yuk-Hei not faring well either--the water running down his face, you find your anger beginning to crumble as fast as it rose.

“Why... why do you care who I talk to?”

He gets closer to you, the scent of freshly fallen rain strong him, as well as faint mintiness to breath. Slowly, he dips his head, to where his nose bumps yours. The sound of rain and your breath is all you can hear whilst his lips brush yours--a kiss is so what he silences your implorations with.

Clumsy, but intoxicating--his hands dancing between clutching your slick skin and running his fingers frizzy locks.

When you pull apart, you struggle to catch your breath, gaping at him--unable to comprehend what just occurred.

“Why...why did you kiss me?”

“Because I like you.”