Pilot

Passing Under The Rainbow

“Teacher (Y/L/N), Grandma dropped off some vegetables for you.” Yuk-Hei says, sweat dripping from his nose before he quickly adds, “I picked them, though. I made sure you got some nice ones.” 

You glance at the young man at your door, grinning at him.

You liked living out in the country, in a coastal town. It relied on trade and tourism, and had a lot of stores and restaurants in walking distance m. After quitting school, you were fine with doing occasional English tutoring at an academy and babysitting in. You were the only foreigner in your neighborhood, which made you a sight of fascination. 

After a couple of months, you got used to and to know the town and people around you. The kids you teach are cute and committed. All in all you were happy with the place you chose temporary refuge. You only been for a few months, but you had an itching feel you’d be leaving in at least two years.

You had a few reasons for dropping out of college...but you didn’t like to think about it.

It was just enough you were safe for the time being.

“Ah, thank you, Yuk-Hei. Would you like to come in for something to drink?” He sheepishly fans himself before nodding.

“How’s your mother’s restaurant?”

“It’s going pretty good with all of the foreigners visiting. She’s always telling you can always come for something to eat when you have time.

Her son was about three years younger than you. Twenty-One. Tall, to whose genes he’d gotten it from you’d always wondered. His skin was tawny, tan and healthy looking from picking vegetables and hauling in fish. On other occasions, he worked in his mother’s restaurant. He was strangely prideful, whenever you asked if you needed help with anything he’d mutter something like, “I’m not a kid, I can do it myself.”

You stood in your small kitchen, the air hot and humid. You were sure your hair was all over the place, but you chose that not to be worthy of your worry, so take out the pitcher of water, pouring him a glass

“Did I wake you?” Yuk-Hei asks cautiously, looking over Your disheveled condition. One sweatpants leg rolled up, a thin black camisole. Wearing one slipper. You can’t remember if you even wore a bra and in your drowsy state, you didn’t care.

You wave your hand saying, “It’s fine, it’s fine—I was going to wake anyways; what’s the saying? ‘The early bird catches the worm.’ or something--I think.”

His brows furrowed.

“You think? Aren’t you the English teacher?”

You shrug, straightening your clothes.

“I’m not perfect, and neither is English. Either way, it’s better being early. Do you have time for something to eat?” He chuckles, gulping down his drink. He combs the sweaty hair of his face and you finally see his dark, big puppy eyes.

“...can you make jook?”

“Yeah, I already had some I had in the fridge....although, are you sure you want porridge when it’s this hot today?” You ask as Yuk-Hei strips away his tank top, his eyes gazing as his flat, washboard stomach--before turning away, you face feeling hot down to the tips of your ears tingling.

“I like your cooking.” You glances over your shoulder at him, your eyes sparkling with mischief.

“Better than your mom’s?”

He laughs.

“Close...but not better.” You scoff, beginning to take out ingredients for the dish.

He continues, “It reminds of the congee my grandmother used to make. So I like it, a lot.”

“Well, I feel honored. Just for that I’ll make it a little spicy for you.” As you finish speaking, you suddenly feel your being hugged by a certain sweaty man from behind. With his tall stature, he bents head to rest on your shoulder.

“Thank you, Teacher (Y/L/N).” You feel him squeeze you tight, his hands clasped together and resting on your belly. He nuzzles into the shoulder and you feel the itching feeling to tousle his hair--until it hits you.

“Mhmm. Go take a shower, you’re smelling a bit like onions. The clothes you wore the last are sitting in the closet--your underwear--” You watch of him, jump back flustered yelling,

“My underwear?!”

“Hey. You’re the guy who leaves them on the floor every time you shower. I didn’t know you wore white undies, Wong Yuk-Hei.”

Even after you’ve scolded him, it’s with a smile, you swat him with your hand, until he rushes off to the bathroom, embarrassed.

At his core, Yuk-Hei was an overgrown puppy who was attached to you at best--and a charming neighborhood boy at least.

He was capable of doing things himself, but a part of you liked taking care of him.

Some time passes, you’ve already set music on while you cook, singing along as you stirred the pot of rice porridge. You have a pot of steaming hot porridge. You threw some chilies in there for heat, and some diced scallops.

“I’m in the mood for love...simply because, you’re near me.” Your voice is soft, still ridden with sleep, but you croon nonetheless.

“--honey, but when you’re me...I’m in the mood for love.” You jump as a deeper, masculine voice sings along, almost dropping the spoon in your hand.  You’re overcome by the scent of your citrusy body washing a bare chest touching your back. Yuk-Hei glances at you, a small smile gracing his face. He’s already changed into a black t-shirt and a pair of carpenter jeans by the time you're gearing up to scold him, your face hot with a russet rogue.

“Why did you scare me like that, you...you...big idiot!”

Yuk-Hei’s eyes glimmer, seizing your hand before you could pummel him any further.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry Teacher. You’re just cute when you sing, I could help but join you.”

You thump his forehead.

“Just sit down, before I regret feeding you.”