Chapter Three

Someday [Rewriting]

Wonyoung woke up blushing madly; recalling last night's accident. Their lips nearly touching and the older girl's mesmerizing eyes. Then, she had put the younger in her bed, and even left her a goodnight kiss before going off. Her heart started to pound faster just at the thought of her. Wonyoung shut her eyes trying to forget about it. 
 

It was no good for her to be so addicted to the older girl. The young girl sighed, staring at her ceiling in a haze. It meant nothing, is what Wonyoung kept telling herself. She was a mess over something so trivial. 'Chaewon thought nothing of it, so you shouldn't either.', Wonyoung reprimanded herself. 
She finally got out of bed once she got herself together. Once she got ready, she noticed the little note on her desk. She didn't remember writing a note, so she took a look.

 

As she scanned through the note, heat crept up to her face. How could a simple apology note make her heart flutter? God, she seriously needed help. She facepalmed, embarrassed at her little tantrum from yesterday. Jealousy really knew how to get on her nerves. Wonyoung saw the little heart at the end. She wondered if it was in a romantic manner or just friendly. She stood in front of her desk, trying to decipher the meaning behind the heart.
She finally stopped when a knock was heard at her door. "Hurry up! You're going to be late soon if you don't come out.", her dad yelled from the other side of the door. "Coming!", Wonyoung quickly answered.

 

On the drive to school, her dad would pester her with questions about Yujin. Asking when they'd start seeing each other, or if she'd finally make a move. Wonyoung groaned at every question. Answering all the questions with the same answer, "I'm not into her."
 

Wonyoung no longer saw her best friend in that type of way after middle school. She never told Yujin and never plans to. It didn't matter anyway. She had her eyes set on somebody else. Who was also not into her. The girl was hopeless. It's funny how the people she was into were into Minju. Minju was truly an angel. That didn't stop Wonyoung from feeling envious though.
 

Finally, the girl arrived at school. Her dad had one more time before Wonyoung got out of the car. She rolled her eyes.
She hadn't noticed the girl's presence. Only noticing after she turned around. She stumbled back in surprise, nearly falling. The other girl caught her by the waist before she could fall onto the concrete. Pulling her closer to her body. The older girl chuckled, "Were you always this clumsy?" Wonyoung shook her head, embarrassed. Her voice caught in .

 

There it was again, the butterflies she kept feeling. The tingling sensation when Chaewon laid a finger on her. Wonyoung stammered, trying to talk. "C-could...you let go now, Chaewon?" The older girl balanced the younger girl and finally let her go. "Sorry," the senior girl mumbled. Wonyoung didn't reply but rather nodded. Chaewon's apology had suddenly reminded Wonyoung of the little note she had left last night. 
 

"About yesterday...and the note," Wonyoung started, "I...I overreacted. It was my fault. I'm sorry." She apologized. Chaewon shook her head, "I shouldn't have said what I said." The younger girl pouted, feeling guilty. She had gotten upset due to her childish feelings. "We're okay now, right?" The girl smiled, nodding.
 

"We should get going now. It's freezing out here.", Chaewon said. Wonyoung silently followed the older girl inside. It was nearing winter soon, but Wonyoung couldn't feel the coldness around Chaewon. She felt warm and fuzzy around her. She felt...like there was a fire within her. 
 

She hadn't noticed it before as she was lost in her thoughts but they were now hand in hand. Fingers intertwined. When did she reach for her hand? Wonyoung wasn't sure, but it made her feel nervous. Her heart picked up the pace. Her hands started to feel clammy and she really hoped that Chaewon didn't notice how her palm started to sweat. She took note that her hand felt perfect in hers. 
Chaewon was perfect to her. But was she perfect to the other girl? Wonyoung shook her head, dismissing the negative thoughts. 'Enjoy the moment while it lasts,' Wonyoung told herself. 

 

The moment didn't last that long as Minju appeared. Chaewon quickly let go without hesitation. As if she didn't want to let Minju see them hand in hand. It left the younger girl a little hurt. Wonyoung looked at the two, they looked perfect for each other. She saw how Chaewon looked at Minju as if she were her whole world. With every sound that came out of Minju's mouth, Chaewon's smile would grow wider. It left Wonyoung wishing that she were in Minju's spot.
 

As Wonyoung continued watching the two from the side, her heart continued to ache. As if someone were squeezing her heart. Wonyoung's smile slowly turned into a small frown. Seeing Chaewon be in love with someone else left a bitter taste in Wonyoung's mouth. She wanted to scoff at how gullible she was to even think that Chaewon would see her as a lover. 
 

Wonyoung silently slipped away from the two. She couldn't bear the sight of the two older girls anymore. Not when she was still hopelessly in love with the older girl. Wonyoung cursed to herself as she walked down the flooding hallways; still caught up from earlier. She hadn't noticed the girl who had been chasing after her. She was too lost in thought. "Wonyoung, wait up!", a voice continuously called out from behind. Wonyoung turned around to face the person and was shocked to see Chaewon breathless. "Why'd you leave without saying anything?" The senior girl asked, pouting with a worried look. 
 

That look sent Wonyoung overboard. She stared at the older girl's lips without answering. She was jealous of the person who'd be dating her. Wonyoung frowned at just the thought of Chaewon with someone else. Even when all she was to Chaewon was a friend. "Wonyoung?" The taller girl snapped out of her trance and apologized. "I...I don't know. Sorry. I've just been out of it lately..," Wonyoung mumbled. 
 

Chaewon gave her a small smile. "I'm here for you if you want to say anything." 'Yeah, I wish I could tell you that I really, really want you to be my girlfriend. But you're too in love with Minju for me to say anything. Did I mention that I'm really into you, and wished that you were my girlfriend?' That is what Wonyoung would like to say if she were brave enough. "It's nothing. I'm fine." 'No, I'm not fine because I love you but you don't love me back.'
 

Chaewon reached for her hand again, easily lacing her fingers around hers. Wonyoung nearly choked on her saliva. She felt the heat rushing to her face. 'Don't think about it. Imagine Yujin. Imagine Yujin. Imagine Yujin.' Wonyoung ranted inside her head. Accidently letting it slip out of , "Imagine Yujin." Chaewon snapped her head towards the younger girl. "Imagine Yujin?" The two came to a sudden stop. "Are you...interested in her?", Chaewon asked. 
 

Something flashed in Chaewon's eyes, but Wonyoung couldn't tell. She couldn't when she was currently panicking. "I won't tell anyone.", Chaewon swore. "I...er.., yes?" The senior girl nodded. "Don't worry. Your secret's safe with me." Chaewon said with a wink. Wonyoung's heart throbbed at that. How was the older girl still single?
 

Wonyoung felt sick. She wanted to die right there and then. She prayed that somehow, someone would come strolling by and just throw her into the abyss of nothing. That'd make her feel better. Yeah, it would. She mentally faces palmed herself. 'I'm such an idiot, god.' Chaewon and Wonyoung walked to their respective classes in silence after the awkward "confession". Chaewon dropped her off and left in a hurry. 
 

Once Wonyoung got to her desk, she immediately banged her head onto it. Making a loud thud. "Geez, what's up with you today?" Wonyoung lifted her head to glare at the girl. "You.", Wonyoung spat out. Yujin threw her head back, letting out a loud laugh. "I get it. I'm charming. Who wouldn't want me?" Yujin bragged. "Minju," Wonyoung smirked. Yujin's smug look dropped. "Very funny. I don't see you making a move on your crush."
Wonyoung rolled her eyes, for like, the umpteenth time that day. "That's because I don't have one." Yujin shook her head, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!" The taller girl sang, sticking her tongue out. The younger girl's eye twitched in annoyance. "You're so annoying," Wonyoung grumbled. "But you still love me." Yujin confidently said. There was no answer.

 

"6-2, loser. Ahn Yujin, currently in the lead! Leaving Kang Wonyoung in the dust." Yujin jokingly announced, as if she were an announcer. Wonyoung let out a quiet chuckle, "Go to your seat before the teacher yells at you." Yujin saluted the younger girl and did as she was told. Although Wonyoung wanted to deny the fact that Yujin was charming, she couldn't. She wasn't wrong. Yujin just had that charm to her. 
 

It was no surprise to Wonyoung. Even she fell for her own best friend. But she was over her now, right?
Wonyoung turned her head to look at her best friend, who was smiling. Yujin gleefully talked to a fellow classmate, listening intently. She smiled, showing her dimples. Wonyoung turned away after she realized she had been staring for too long. Instead, she stared at the clock. Making it seem as though it had been the most interesting thing she ever saw in her entire life. Analyzing the clock and the time.

 

Time. How long would it be until Chaewon confessed to Minju? How long would it take Wonyoung to get over the older girl? Would she ever get over Chaewon? Wonyoung drowned in her thoughts throughout the period. Not paying attention to the teacher or whatever was said.
 

Thinking about Chaewon led her to last night's event. She replayed the memory in her head over and over again. Chaewon's laugh echoed throughout the neighborhood. Her angelic and soothing voice. Wonyoung stared at Chaewon with so much love. The two laid on the roof, talking about anything, catching up. Though their feelings were never to be said. It felt so peaceful, yet so chaotic at the same time. 
 

Wonyoung was a mess for Chaewon. Tell her to jump off a bridge for Chaewon? She'd do it without hesitation. Wonyoung was willing to give up everything on the spot for Chaewon. Which was quite worrying. 

 



Wonyoung stood in front of a vending machine. Looking through the drink options. Her eyes gazing over a green milk tea drink. That was one of Chaewon's favorite drinks. There she went again, thinking about the older girl. 
 

A hand came from beside her, clicking a button. "Strawberry milk, right?" Wonyoung jumped, startled. "Uh..yeah." Chaewon smiled at the younger girl. "Don't stare at the machine too much, you'll make it nervous," she joked. Wonyoung looked away, blushing. "How'd you know what I was going to get?" 
The shorter girl shrugged, "You said it was your favorite." Wonyoung's eyebrows furrowed, trying to think of when she had told the older girl. "It was a long time ago. Lucky guess.", Chaewon said, noticing the little frown Wonyoung had on her face. "Do you want a drink too?" She asked, already putting in more coins.

 

Chaewon nodded, looking at the younger girl expectantly. "Green milk tea?" Chaewon smiled, "You remembered." Wonyoung chuckled. "I'm just that great at remembering things." Wonyoung boasted. "Then do you remember...that day?" The mood suddenly changed. From a light feeling into a much more solemn feeling. Chaewon stared at the taller girl. Leaving holes in her head. "What...day?" Wonyoung truly didn't know what she was referring to.
 

Chaewon laughed, shaking her head. "I was just kidding." Wonyoung laughed awkwardly after the older girl. "Y-you had me worried there for a second..." Wonyoung stammered, slightly embarrassed. She brought her hand up to Wonyoung's cheek, pinching it lightly. "Don't think about it too much."
 

"Thanks for the drink," she grabbed the drink and waved to her. Chaewon gave her one last smile and walked away. Wonyoung continued to stand in front of the machine, face red like a tomato. She bit her lip and bent down to grab her drink. She was told not to think about it, that it was just a joke but the thought lingered in her head. 
 

It was hard to forget about it when Chaewon had looked so serious. In fact, everything about Chaewon was hard to forget about. Wonyoung sighed at herself. She was a fool. A lovesick fool.