One

Wheein’s Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I hate being single.” Yongsun dramatically moaned. She threw herself down on Hyejin’s couch making the younger woman arch a perfectly crafted eyebrow at her friend. 

 

“Then go out, meet someone.” Hyejin turned back to scrolling down her phone. 

 

Sighing loudly to get her friends full attention, Yongsun continued, “I tried that, did not work.” She held up three fingers, “The first guy went on and on and on about his ex who cheated on him, I kissed him just to shut him up and he broke down and cried. The second guy was more interested in his phone and actually held up a finger to get me to be quiet every time his phone buzzed. The third was a girl and it was going really well until we went back to her place and her girlfriend walked in on us.” 

 

Hyejin tried not to laugh, but she couldn’t help the snort that came out, “Thats unfortunate.”

 

“Am I undateable?” Yongsun turned to the younger girl, eyes wide and pleading. 

 

“No, of course not,” Hyejin put her phone away, “You’re just unlucky with love.” 

 

“How did you and Wheein meet?” 

 

Chuckling at the memory, Hyejin answered, “We met at a nightclub. She threw up on me and I took her home because I was worried she wouldn’t make it back to hers on her own.” 

 

“She threw up on you?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“And instead of running for the hills you took her home?” 

 

“Yep.”

 

“Why?”

 

Laughing at the confused expression on her longtime friends face, Hyejin continued, “Because I felt bad for her. She slept on the couch and was so sick the next morning. She told me that she was fresh out of college and didn’t have much money so instead of buying her own drinks she took other peoples drinks and hid away in the corner. Then she said when she saw me she felt nervous but she wanted to talk to me. Apparently the friend she was with was against her talking to me so she tried to keep us away from each other but we kept catching each other’s eyes. After her friend was distracted by some girl, Wheein walked up to me, said hi and then literally threw up all over my dress.” 

 

“And two years later you’re still going strong.” Yongsun couldn’t help the small pang of jealousy that hit her. 

 

“Yeah,” Hyejin smiled fondly at a framed photo of herself and Wheein that was taken a week after they met, “But let’s talk about you.” She rounded on her older friend, “What are you looking for? A relationship? ? Someone to cuddle at night?” 

 

“All of the above.” Yongsun sighed. 

 

Truth be told, Yongsun has never been in a long term relationship. The longest relationship she’s ever been in was a little over three months. She was always too busy with school work and when she graduated she always put her job ahead of any romantic interests. Her father would regularly tell her that the most important thing she could do in her youth was to get a full education to better herself and that relationships will come later in life. She believed him. But now she’s bordering on twenty-six with no real relationship experience. 

 

“Honey I’m home.” A voice sang from the front door of Hyejin’s house, “I’m not staying long though,” The voice belonged to Wheein, the navy haired woman floated into the living room before swooping down and giving Hyejin a peck on the lips, “I’m heading to the bar with Moonbyul, I just need to quickly change.” Wheein pointed down to her oil stained overalls, “Moonbyul, come and sit down, I’ll only be a few minutes.”

 

A silver haired woman appeared in the door way. She wore an open Yankees jersey with a plain white shirt underneath, ripped black jeans, Nike sneakers and a Nike cap on backwards. Yongsun felt her breath hitch at the sight of this stranger. 

 

“Hey, Hyejin,” She smiled shyly, “How are you?” 

 

“Tired,” Hyejin smiled back, “But I’m glad you’re taking her away for a few hours, I might actually get some alone time.” 

 

Wheein and Hyejin practically spend all their free time together. Yongsun was always the third wheel whenever she asked Hyejin out for brunch or coffee. It was a miracle that Yongsun was able to come over and have Hyejin all to herself today.

 

The stranger smirked, “I won’t tell Wheein you said that, she’s been all day about how much she’s missed you. She almost slapped me when I suggested going to the bar.” 

 

“Don’t let her drink too much,” The younger girl raised a threatening finger, “Or spend too much.” 

 

The silver haired woman chuckled and raised her hands up in surrender. Yongsun couldn’t help but stare captivated at this newcomer. She knew that Wheein’s best friend was good looking, even Hyejin admitted how attractive she was, but actually seeing her in person brought up a string of emotions Yongsun couldn’t ignore. 

 

Noticing her friends lovesick expression, Hyejin introduced her, “Oh, Moonbyul this is my very single friend, Kim Yongsun.”

 

“Hello, very single friend, Kim Yongsun.” Moonbyul politely smiled. 

 

Not trusting her voice, Yongsun bowed her head slightly in acknowledgment. Soon after their introductions Wheein had came back into the room and ushered Moonbyul away to their local bar. 

 

“What was that?” Hyejin asked as soon as she heard the front door slam closed. 

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Yongsun could feel her face heat up. 

 

The younger girl scoffed, “Yeah, okay. Close your mouth, I don’t want your drool to stain my carpets.”  

 

 

*

 

 

“You’re not celibate are you?” Yonghee asked Yongsun over their kitchen table. 

 

“What?” The younger Kim sibling spat out, shocked at the sudden question. 

 

Yonghee tapped a finger on her chin, “I read in a women’s magazine that if you go too many years without having you run the risk of drying up forever.”

 

Scrunching her face up in disgust, Yongsun waved her hand dismissively in her older sisters face, “Rubbish.”

 

“No! It’s true.” Yonghee’s eyes widened, “It happened to aunty Mina. She creaks when she walks now. Do you remember our cousin’s wedding last spring? Aunty Mina running in late. I swear it sounded like we were in a seal sanctuary.” 

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes, “Well I’m not celibate or creaky.”

 

“Then what is it?” Her younger sister huffed at the question and refused to answer, instead Yonghee continued, “Do you just repel potential partners?” 

 

“What sort of question is that? Anyway I already have a date.” Yongsun lied. 

 

“A date?” Her sister’s eyes widened in curiosity, “What’s their name?”

 

“Moonbyul.” Yongsun refused eye contact. 

 

“Moonbyul?”

 

“Yep.”

 

 

 

*

 

 

Despite Hyejin’s warnings, Wheein came home extremely drunk and about a hundred thousand won poorer. She came home, flailed about trying to get dressed for bed before giving up and flopping on top of Hyejin and passing out straight away. 

 

Making a mental note to kick Moonbyul’s for letting the girl get as wasted as what she was, Hyejin made her a hangover breakfast. Grunting and groaning, Wheein made her way down stairs, still half dressed in last nights outfit. 

 

“Good morning!” Hyejin yelled across the kitchen. 

 

“Not today, Satan.” Wheein held up both of her index fingers in a cross as she sat down at their kitchen island. 

 

Placing Wheein’s plate and coffee in front of her, Hyejin sat opposite, “How was your night?”

 

Shrugging, Wheein dug in to the amazing smelling foods her girlfriend made her, “Same as it always is, we talk, we drink, we go home.”

 

“Did you talk about anything interesting?” Hyejin asked. After the two had left for the bar, Hyejin probed Yongsun for nearly two hours about Moonbyul. At 11pm last night she received a phone call from her best friend begging her to help her get a date with Moonbyul. She explained her conversation with her sister and Hyejin took pity on her. 

 

“Do we ever talk about anything interesting?” The older of the two asked, mouth full and slightly spitting crumbs over the kitchen surface. 

 

“Is Moonbyul still single?” 

 

Chocking slightly, Wheein turned to her girlfriend, her eyes wide and panicking, “Why? Are you bored of me already?”

 

“No.” Hyejin rolled her eyes, “Don’t be ridiculous. I was just asking for a friend.”

 

“Which friend? You have like three and two of them are straight.” Wheein looked slightly confused as she tried to piece together the clues as to who this friend was. 

 

“Well, Yongsun was wondering-“

 

“No!” Wheein almost yelled, “No! I know exactly where you’re going with this and the answer is no.” She hopped off her stool and placed her plate into the kitchen sink before heading to the living room. 

 

Hyejin followed, “But Wheein, hear me out.” 

 

Flopping on the couch, Wheein shook her head, “Hyejin, no.”

 

“You’re being selfish.” Throwing herself angrily on the couch next to her girlfriend, Hyejin continued, “You’re standing in the way of your best friend’s happiness.”

 

“Happiness?” Wheein chuckled, “Moonbyul is happy picking girls up at bars, ing them in her ty apartment and then making them feel uncomfortable enough that they leave instead of staying the night.” 

 

Hyejin scoffed, “I know that. I told Yongsun that. That’s what she wants. You should have seen her face when I told her how bad Moonbyul actually is. She looked like a child at Christmas. I contemplated making her sit on a bin bag so she wouldn’t ruin the couch.” 

 

“There’s no way it can end well,” Wheein sighed, “If she shows her bad side then you won’t let her in the house anymore because of how much she hurt your best friend. If she shows her loving and caring side then they’ll get together and then you and Yongsun will want to do couple things like double dates and scrabble evenings. I’ve seen it happen before with my parents and their friends. They had fondue parties, Pictionary parties and then they met some other couples and started this really weird late night car key swapping parties. No, I can’t let that happen to us.”

 

“Wheein, if you don’t help me with getting them together, I’ll withhold from you.” To try and put her point across, Hyejin ran a hand slowly up and down Wheein’s exposed thigh. 

 

The other girl sniggered, “Hyejin.” She placed a hand over her girlfriends and halted her movements, “You know I can last way longer than you without . That threat doesn’t work with me.”

 

Snatching her hand away, Hyejin huffed under her breath and folded her arms, “Yeah, I know.” After a slight pause a lightbulb moment went off in Hyejin’s head, “I’ll tell Moonbyul that The Titanic is your favourite movie.”

 

Sighing, Wheein compromised, “Listen, we’re going back to the bar tonight, if you two want to come then you’re more than welcome to. But I cannot promise that anything good will come from it.” 

 

Grinning after getting her own way, Hyejin placed a soft kiss on Wheein’s cheek, took out her phone and dialled Yongsun’s number. 

 

 

*

 

 

Moonbyul was already at the bar by the time the other three got there. Dressed head to toe in white, she turned to greet the newcomers. Yongsun took a few seconds to admire Moonbyul’s choice of outfits, Nike Off White hoodie, baggy white jeans, white Vans and white Yankees baseball cap worn backwards. Yongsun’s mouth went dry. She hoped she was having a similar sort of effect on Moonbyul. 

 

She was wearing a fitted black dress that cut off just above the knee. Her jet black hair was in curls and pushed over to one shoulder. She knew she looked great, even Hyejin gushed over how good she looked, she just hoped Moonbyul agreed. 

 

Judging by the look the youn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter